Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Commentary track on "The Duel?"

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-16-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm referring to this release (Tai Seng, Reg 0) -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...671831-6438337

The case lists the commentary with only one participant (Ric Meyers), but the commentary actually has two, though his name is mentioned very quickly and I can't figure out exactly what it is. The person re-translated the film and re-subbed it for the Reg 1 release and works for Tai Seng....

Anyone know?

Last edited by Liquid Death; 08-16-01 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-16-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Have you listened to it? How is it? I like Ric Meyers commentaries... he's very informative (even though he's a bit geeky) and has kind of a dr. demento voice too. I don't know who the other person would be, but I'd like to know myself.
Old 08-22-01, 08:29 PM

Hey Trigger!

I just today remembered to go and check this thread - with college starting back up, I totally forgot I posted it

Anyhow, I did listen to it and I thought it was a pretty informative commentary. I think the other guys name was Frank Jeng...at least, it sounded like that

Here's my review for it (which I finished awhile ago):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2535

If someone discovers that the guys name is spelled differently, *PLEASE* email me and I'll be happy to update my review.
Old 08-22-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Liquid Death
Hey Trigger!

Anyhow, I did listen to it and I thought it was a pretty informative commentary. I think the other guys name was Frank Jeng...at least, it sounded like that

Here's my review for it (which I finished awhile ago):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2535

If someone discovers that the guys name is spelled differently, *PLEASE* email me and I'll be happy to update my review.

That's a laugh! He's the president of Taiseng! (?)
Old 08-23-01, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer

That's a laugh! He's the president of Taiseng! (?)
What's funny? I don't get it. Anyway - he accompanied Rik Meyers on the Deadful Melody commentary too.

Thanks for getting back to the thread.
Old 08-23-01, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger

What's funny? I don't get it. Anyway - he accompanied Rik Meyers on the Deadful Melody commentary too.

Thanks for getting back to the thread.
if you've been following the saga of Taiseng and its bullying and pricing tactics over the years, you would know that Frank Djeng is Public Enemy #1.
Old 08-23-01, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if you've been following the saga of Taiseng and its bullying and pricing tactics over the years, you would know that Frank Djeng is Public Enemy #1.
Well... I don't quite hate Tai Seng as much as you do. They're hit or miss... sometimes you get Deadful Melody with extras and commentary and a great transfer with newly created subtitles for a cheap price and sometimes you get a re-packaging of a HK release and a price hike of 50 bucks. He provided some informative commentary though.
Old 08-23-01, 10:36 AM

Is that the correct spelling of his name - Djeng? If so - thanks I'll update my review later if thats the case.

Also, I don't (as you could prob. tell), have an extensive background knowledge of Tai Seng, so I apologize if I overlooked something. As always, if I made a mistake, email me, and I'll change the review.

And what was funny about my review?

I read this review:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/theduelse.htm

and they didn't even mention that there was more than one person on the commentary.
Old 08-30-01, 07:24 PM

Did I imagine Frank Djeng on the commentary? I just read the review at www.dvdreview.com and they don't mention him either!

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/the_duel.shtml