Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

Old 06-29-11, 06:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2011/06/...0-a-month.html

For as little as $9.99 a month you can rent an unlimited amount of DVDs from Netflix. When the company launched it was met with skepticism and apprehension. But after years of fighting the big boys, such as Blockbuster, they’ve emerged the winner. Now a company called Movie Pass is looking to enter the space, but instead of offering an unlimited amount of DVD rentals, they want you to pay $50 a month to watch as many movies as you’d like in the movie theater.

Over 100 theaters are currently participating, but from what we understand the beta program has kicked off in San Francisco. Users simply sign up on their website and then using an accompanying iPhone or Android app, present a reservation code to the movie clerk. Seats and tickets can be reserved online, and Movie Pass is even promising discounts on the popcorn, access to advanced screenings in addition to restaurant vouchers, though we’re not sure how the latter works.

Since movie theaters often make their profits on concessions, it stands to reason that these movie goers could be more profitable than an average attendee. Though if you attend the theater on a regular basis you’ll probably skip the popcorn and soda since it’s novelty factor will wear off quickly.

On average today’s movie theater tickets cost about $12. So 4 visits a month to the theater could pay for Movie Pass. However, that means attending the theater more than once a week, something most busy people don’t have time to do, hence why theaters are most busy on weekends. We’ve heard that special movies, such as those presented in 3D and Imax, will include an additional surcharge per viewing, though that info isn’t on their website.
Old 06-29-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I'd consider it, but for $50 a month? GTFO...
Old 06-29-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No. I'm too selective about what I go see, and I've become so disinterested in mainstream blockbusters that I would have a hard time finding enough movies each month.

However, if they gave you the ability to buy one month of this at a time, it would be nice for a month like January or February to catch up on the awards season movies that I have increasingly preferred over the years.
Old 06-29-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I only go to the theater once or twice a year...umm, no. If they could guarantee a phone-free, silent crowd, I might actually consider it.
Old 06-29-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Landmark Theatres participated, then I would definitely buy in.
Old 06-29-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$50 is too much. Even in the Summer I'm not sure I can find 4 movies in a month that I really want to see.
Old 06-29-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've gotten money's worth this summer but that's not typical.
Old 06-29-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Oh yes. I would be in too if Landmark was involved.
Old 06-29-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I go to the movies with the wife, it would be $100 a month for me. Probably not worth it since we don't go every week. And an extra charge for 3-D? Will they also charge extra for movies on opening weekend?
Old 06-29-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

like stated 50 is way to much. they should offer a pass for like 30$ for unlimited mantinee showings as i usually catch a movie before work or earlier on my days off. id go alot more often and check out titles i normally wouldnt bc i wouldnt feel bad walking out.
Old 06-29-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I see about fifty movies a year (on average), so that's $500. The Movie Pass would be $600. But then I'd be more likely to see every movie, so I could probably get savings on it.

Do this for a theater that also shows indies and I'd be in.
Old 06-30-11, 03:04 AM
Banned

Yeah. This will work just about as much as those free movie tickets that are sometimes come with a dvd. 50 dollars a month ? Sorry, but there just aren't 50 dollars worth of movies that come out every year, let alone a month, that are worth anything. Maybe one or two.
Old 06-30-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

I also was surprised by the price tag, but it's not so bad considering a $12 ticket price. But I just don't go to the movies that often, and when I do it's with the family so rather than four movies a month I buy four tickets to the same movie every month or two. Maybe when I'm an empty-nester.
Old 06-30-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Right now, no. With a little kid it is just too hard to get to the theater.
Old 06-30-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Too much. And if it were to fly, they'd start changing the rules and there be more and more movies on that you can't see list. You won't be able to go to opening weekends for special movies or Spielberg or Lucas produced. Then it'll be opening week. Then it'll be all movies opening week. Then it'll be for all summer movies and holidays. They always change the rules. Just look at your Best Buy Reward Zone card.
Old 06-30-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

$50/month definitely wouldn't be worth it for me. Even the four movie $30 "limited pass" is more than I'd use most months.

The theater chains aren't cottoning to the idea:

UPDATED: MoviePass introduces Netflix-style all-you-can-see program to movie theaters—and movie theaters are pissed
by Sean O'Neal June 30, 2011

For those who are forced by tough economic reality to limit their movie-going to just four or five films per month, there’s now the MoviePass, a new service that allows subscribers to visit the theater as many times as they want for the monthly fee of $50 (plus an extra $3 every time they want to see a 3-D film). Wired reports that the Netflix-like “unlimited pass” will launch in the San Francisco Bay Area over the weekend and soon begin popping up in other cities—and while most people would be hard-pressed to find five or more worthy films at the multiplex, in San Francisco, at least, the pass also works at various art house and repertory theaters. And if you still can’t find enough films to see, MoviePass probably isn’t for you.

Or maybe your city just sucks, as local selections will certainly vary—and then there’s the small matter of living your life—but MoviePass is reportedly also planning to introduce the more modest $30 “limited pass” that cuts you off after four movies a month, which sounds a bit more manageable. And if that $30 still seems overpriced, consider this: In addition to allowing you to skip ticket lines by using the MoviePass app, the service will log what movies you’ve seen and allow “studios and producers to engage with avid movie buffs based on their film-attendance history.” So maybe you’ll get a phone call from some Warner Bros. executives asking you how you liked Green Lantern, and what you'd like to see in a sequel. (Or probably just some direct-marketing emails trying to sell you DVDs.)

UPDATE: It seems the introduction of MoviePass has caught most theater chains by surprise, and they’re pretty upset about it. The Wrap reports that Landmark is already taking steps to see how they can prevent MoviePass from providing tickets to its theaters, with its CEO saying he was “stunned” after hearing today’s announcement, as MoviePass reportedly “forgot’ to discuss it with their clients” and instead negotiated its deal with online ticket services. Meanwhile, AMC has issued a press release proclaiming that it will absolutely not accept MoviePass, either in this weekend’s San Francisco beta test or during any future expansion, saying, “It does not integrate well into our programs and could create significant guest experience issues.” (It also points out that MoviePass would conflict with its current AMC Stubs program.)

For their part, MoviePass president Stacy Spikes argues to The Wrap that “getting meeting has been challenging and we haven’t really been taken seriously”—though that seems likely to change pretty quickly—but he remains confident that theaters will come around once they present their research findings promising that concession sales will go up as a result. They may have a tougher time convincing distributors, however, who believe that MoviePass could play havoc with calculating those all-important box-office grosses. Nevertheless, Spikes remains confident that the data gathered from this weekend’s test rollout will convince them all—though obviously, gathering that data just got a lot harder.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/updat...llyouca,58357/
Old 06-30-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go for it but not for that price. That's $200 more than I paid for Disney World annual passes last month (florida resident but still no way $600).
Old 06-30-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get why theaters would be against it. They make most of their cash on concessions. Seems like they'd love to have people coming several times a week, rather than only once in a while.
Old 06-30-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I don't get why theaters would be against it. They make most of their cash on concessions. Seems like they'd love to have people coming several times a week, rather than only once in a while.
Exactly. I doubt that most people actually spend more than $50 a month at the movies as it is. If someone gets this pass and now sees double the amount of movies as before, is the theater really counting that as lost revenue when the person wouldn't have spent that money anyway? Plus, sometimes the person might bring a guest (without a pass) that otherwise wouldn't have shown up at all.
Old 06-30-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

I only go to the movies on the weekend before noon, when admission is $4.25. This is not a good deal.
Old 06-30-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I go so infrequently now that I couldn't justify $50/month. $30? Maybe I'd go more often, but I know I'd never get the right amount of use out of it for $50.
Old 06-30-11, 08:58 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the idea I just don't think that the cost thing would work for me. $600 a year is a little steep for me. The most that I have spent in a year was $450 and I saw 60+ movies in the theater that year. I see on average 4-5 movies a month. most of the time they are for matinee or early bird screening and pay 6-8 per movie. I guess the only thing that this would be easier for me would be to see things in the evenings, but then you are dealing with more people in the theater and more people = more texting, talking, and obnoxious viewers.(fuck I sound like an old person) If it did include theaters that showed more independent/arthouse type stuff I might take a second look, but it doesn't seem like this would be advantageous for the average movie goer.
Old 07-01-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Add Laemmle as well, and I'm in.
Old 07-01-11, 05:04 AM
Banned

For those who are forced by tough economic reality to limit their movie-going to just four or five films per month, there’s now the MoviePass...

Seriously ? I'm lucky if I see two movies a year. I don't know anyone now and I have NEVER known anyone that went to the theater four or five times, let alone more than that. It's just now July and the only movie I've seen so far this year's been Super 8. Last year, the only movies I saw were Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1. I also Back To The Future for the 25th anniversary. I only saw 2 movies the year before that. Who are these people seeing more than five movies a year ?
Old 07-01-11, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Who are these people seeing more than five movies a year ?
People not living by themselves in small towns. The world is a big place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.