Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

FX to launch FX+ pay streaming service [UPDATE: DEAD]

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
FX to launch FX+ pay streaming service [UPDATE: DEAD]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16106354/fx-streaming-service-ad-free-plus-comcast

The hits just keep on coming. Yet another pay streaming service.
Old 08-11-17, 07:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
re: FX to launch FX+ pay streaming service [UPDATE: DEAD]

so the FX shows won't stream on Netflix, et al anymore?
Old 08-11-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Luckily I still have cable and have the FX Now app. I only really use it for The Simpsons once in a while and Louie.
Old 08-14-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

FX doesn't even have enough shows for there 2 networks as it is.
Old 08-14-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Fox should come out with one Big Ass streaming service(then I might be interested). Same goes true for Warner Brothers.
Old 08-14-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I honestly do not know who this is for. Like that recently announced AMC streaming service, this is ONLY available to cable subscribers. Apparently those who don't mind paying more for what they already get.
Old 08-14-17, 10:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

is Taboo steaming anywhere yet? and if i have Starz On Demand, but not all eps streaming, can i get American Gods for free on TV somehow? thanks.
Old 08-27-18, 01:47 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Kind of old news, but a I saw a lot of FX shows change their profile pics on social media to advertise FX+

FX is expanding the scope of its ad-free programming hub, FX+, making it available to all of its 90 million U.S. subscribers. Previously, it had been an add-on option only for Comcast and Cox cable customers.

The announcement came as the Fox-owned (for now) network kicked off its day of presentations at TCA summer press tour.

Opting in to the platform will still cost $5.99 a month for all subscribers, who will get all new seasons of FX originals as well as nearly every library series from the network vault. Subscribers can get FX+ through FXNetworks.com and view via web, iOS and Android mobile devices, or stream via Apple TV or Roku.

The move is the latest by traditional programmers aiming to secure their place in a rapidly re-bundling TV ecosystem. AMC Networks yesterday touted the progress of its similar AMC Premiere service, as did CBS with All Access and other streaming networks. CBS expects to have 16 million subscribers to CBS All Access and Showtime’s stand-alone OTT by 2022. FX and other companies are looking to the subscription revenue to counter the downward pressure on advertising as viewership continues to fragment.

Early availability of original episodes is one key lure for subscribers. On September 1, FX+ subscribers will get early access to the pilot of Mayans M.C. before its linear premiere.

In addition to exclusively offering complete, in-season stacking rights to all of its current original series without ads, FX Networks said it is the first basic cable portfolio to offer every season of almost every title in its original library. FX+ features every season of 35 FX original series, totaling more than 1,400 episodes of originals spanning the past 16 years.

The FX originals not available on FX+ are Justified, The Bridge and the first two installments of American Crime Story.
https://fxplus.fxnetworks.com/welcome/
Old 08-27-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

This is carrying some old FX shows like Nip/Tuck that currently don't have streaming deals with Netflix or Hulu.
Old 08-30-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Signed up for the 7 day free trial. I don't know if I'll stick with it.

I did see that FX Plus will show Mayans MC early.

It is kind of cool though that all the FX shows are in one place as opposed to sifting between Amazon, Netflix and Hulu.
Old 07-11-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

FX Plus streaming service to end

Got this email from FX that FX Plus will end

On August 21, 2019, the FX+ service will no longer be available. You can continue to enjoy your subscription through August 20, 2019.

There is no need to cancel your subscription as it will automatically end on August 21, 2019.

Current seasons of FX Networks original series will continue to air on the FX and FXX channels and will be accessible for on-demand viewing in the FXNOW app or online at FXNetworks.com when available.

Thank you for being a loyal customer. Please contact us with any questions.

Sincerely,
The FX+ Team

A little surprised. But I'm assuming this was a Disney call and that FX Plus didn't have enough subscribers to justify it's existence.

So if you do have it, you better hurry up and catch up on Mayans MC, Snowfall, Legion, American Horror Story and such. FX Plus was great as they pretty much had the entire FX library and every episode.
Old 07-12-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: FX Plus streaming service to end

I get a funny feeling FX+ will essentially be folded into Hulu.
Old 07-12-19, 08:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, attrition of the smaller streaming services rolled into their parent companies. It’ll happen to most of the niche services out there right now, save for companies like Criterion. The Wild West of niche streaming services will come to an end in the next 2-5 years.
Old 07-12-19, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

One nice benefit of a million different streaming services is there's something you really want to watch, you can sign up for the trial, watch for free, and unsubscribe. I'm pretty sure I did that with some show on this service at some point.
Old 07-12-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
I get a funny feeling FX+ will essentially be folded into Hulu.
Hulu does carry a lot of FX shows, however they usually are available until 6-8 months after it airs on TV.

FX Plus kept past seasons and was also keeping currently airing seasons in it's library and they are all commercial free as opposed to watching FX shows on demand, which has commercials.

I know FX is a small cable channel compared to others, so I'm really not surprised if Disney chose to kill this since it probably doesn't have a huge subscriber base.
Old 07-12-19, 12:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think Disney is planning more long term, including Hulu and some tier pricing. It makes perfect sense since it’s under their umbrella of increasing properties.
Old 07-12-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ey-1203265944/

Variety has now officially reported that Disney shut down FX Plus.

One thing that probably hurt FX Plus was that you had to be a cable/satellite subscriber to use it. Sounds like the subscriber base was low.

But in the grand scheme of things with Hulu and Disney Plus owned by Disney, this was really unnecessary. FX shows can be licensed out to Hulu.

FX never disclosed how many subscribers FX Plus had signed up, but signs were that it wasn’t getting traction.

In an interview with Variety published last month, Landgraf acknowledged that FX Plus was limited by cable carriage agreements to existing pay-TV subscribers and said it was “a rugged path” given that FX Networks has only a dozen or so current programs at any time.

According to FX’s customer-service site, FX Plus subscriptions will automatically end on Aug. 21, 2019. “There is no need to cancel your subscription. If you subscribe through your TV provider, your TV provider will discontinue billing you for the service,” the notice says.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-12-19 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: FX to launch FX+ pay streaming service [UPDATE: DEAD]

Thanks for merging this thread. For some reason this one wasn't coming up when I tried to search for it.
Old 07-15-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yep, attrition of the smaller streaming services rolled into their parent companies. It’ll happen to most of the niche services out there right now, save for companies like Criterion. The Wild West of niche streaming services will come to an end in the next 2-5 years.
On the flipside right now the War btwn Disnsey vs Amazon vs Netflix will benefit the value of the film catalog of Criterion A24,Film Movement,Digital Orchard etc and other niche distributors which in turn will benefit the movie goer