Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Atypical (Netflix) S: Keir Gilchrist, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rapaport, Brigette Lundy-Paine

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Atypical (Netflix) S: Keir Gilchrist, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rapaport, Brigette Lundy-Paine

Old 08-11-17, 06:48 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ieHh4U-QYwU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jennifer Jason Leigh and Keir Gilchrist are mother and son in Netflix's new heartfelt comedy series, Atypical, a coming-of-age story from the point-of-view of Sam (played by Gilchrist), an 18-year-old on the autism spectrum. Atypical premieres on Netflix Friday, August 11 and today, Netflix debuts this first look clip from the premiere episode -- parents of teenagers will relate. Sam decides it is time to go on a date, find a girlfriend and hopefully love, a journey that sets Sam's mother, Elsa (played by Jason Leigh), on her own life-changing path as her son seeks more independence. Sam's entire family must adjust to change, all while exploring the question: what does it really mean to be "normal"? Michael Rapaport plays Sam's father, Doug, who wants to better connect with and understand his son. Brigette Lundy-Paine plays Sam's scrappy sister, Casey, and Amy Okuda plays his therapist, Julia

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Amy Okuda as Julia
· Brigette Lundy-Paine as Casey
· Jennifer Jason Leigh as Elsa
· Keir Gilchrist as Sam
· Michael Rapaport as Doug
· Nik Dodani as Zahid
· Raśl Castillo as Nick

CREW INFORMATION:
· Jennifer Jason Leigh as PROD
· Mary Rohlich as EP
· Robia Rashid as CRTR/EP
· Seth Gordon as EP/DIR (Pilot)
8 episode first season.
Old 08-11-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
re: Atypical (Netflix) S: Keir Gilchrist, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rapaport, Brigette Lundy-Paine

I'll be checking this out tonight. I think it looks really good.
Old 08-11-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
re: Atypical (Netflix) S: Keir Gilchrist, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Rapaport, Brigette Lundy-Paine

Can't wait to see this. Pushing the envelope a bit, and that's good. This show looks like it has everything.
Old 08-11-17, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks interesting. Will check it out. Thanks.
Old 08-11-17, 01:34 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Agree this looks like it has potential - strong cast too. I like the lead, Gilchrist, from Showtime's United States of Tara from a few years back.
Old 08-11-17, 03:24 PM

I thought the first episode was great.
Old 08-11-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I hate JJL's plastic surgery so much. She looks like a completely different person now.
Old 08-12-17, 11:24 AM

Finished this up today. I thought it was really, really good. I very much would tune in for another season, hopefully a little longer than 8 episodes.
Old 08-12-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Dig the show, hate the kid coworker at Techtropolis.
Old 08-12-17, 12:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

that trailer looked really good. will try this out soon, hopefully...
Old 08-12-17, 09:12 PM

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Wow, I am really enjoying this show. 15 minutes to go and sad episode 8 is the last one. Having said that I do appreciate that each episode is no longer than 36/37 minutes which with commercials would be a nearly hour long episode anyway. These streaming shows that go past 50 minutes and up to an hour and 5 minutes are a real grind to get through regardless of their quality. It is especially bad if you have 13 episodes to get through as even 10 episodes can also be a genuine grind.

This show is very easy to binge so hopefully a lot of folks give it a try and we get another season.
Old 08-12-17, 09:20 PM

Very well done. Only a little into this, but really gelling. Kid is great. Good ensemble. Good writing and acting...
Old 08-12-17, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everybody. Worth watching.
Old 08-13-17, 09:48 AM

binged the first 5 eps at like 1-2 in the morning this morning. great show. fantastic.
Old 08-14-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Off to add to my list. Never heard of it. Looks great!!
Old 08-14-17, 03:44 PM

Finished last night. Just great. Never did that with a series before (finish in 2 consecutive nights). Of course, it's only 8 30 or so minute eps, but I loved it. Too short and could have been so much more. The only thing that was a minor distraction was JJL's plastic surgery. You can tell. Still great all around.
Old 08-19-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I finished this today and really enjoyed it. I'm usually not a big fan of Michael Rapaport. I think he's a one dimensional actor, but I thought he was really good in this. I hope this gets another eight episode run. Atypical and GLOW have been my favorite new series of 2017.
Old 08-21-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Wife and I binged this over the weekend. Great show. JJL does such a great job at playing a character we're supposed to hate.
Old 08-21-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Agreed that this was great. Great acting all around. Really hope this gets picked up for another season, 8 episodes seemed to short.
Old 08-22-17, 09:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed it, also watched with my wife just finished up last night. Good insight into dealing and living with Autism, thought both the kids were great.
Old 08-22-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Wife and I binged this over the weekend. Great show. JJL does such a great job at playing a character we're supposed to hate.
This show just happened to pop up on my reccommended list and I watched it on a whim not sure if I would even like it. Definetly enjoyed it and hope it has a second season.

I don't know if we're supposed to hate JJL's character. She definetly made some poor choices but continually tried to make it right and cared about her family. Anyone else ever get JJL confused with Ally Sheedy? I always have to think of which one it was that played in certain movies like Single White Female or Only the Lonely.
Old 08-28-17, 05:31 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

About halfway through Season 1 and really enjoying this. The kid playing the lead is very good.
Old 08-28-17, 02:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think is only the second time I've watched a series just because of its billboard ad (SoA was the first). I had no idea what it was about and decided I wanted to find out. It was worth it.
Old 08-29-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Just finished. I enjoyed it - even though I felt like I saw some of this stuff with Sheldon on BBT.

One problem I had with it is the casting of the kids - but not due to performance. The actors look their real life age of 24 - making it hard to think of them as 17 and 18 years old.

Also the co-worker at the tech store was pretty cliche.
Old 08-29-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

What plastic surgery has JJL had? To me, she just looks like an older, normally-aged version of the girl from the 80s. Is this alleged surgery documented?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.