Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Orphan Black (BBC America) -- The Fifth and Final Season Thread -- premieres 6/10/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black (BBC America) -- The Fifth and Final Season Thread -- premieres 6/10/17

Old 06-08-17, 11:17 AM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X5ppV6HCyGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The fate of the clone sisterhood will be revealed when the final trip of BBC AMERICA's award-winning series, Orphan Black, starring Emmy(R)-winner Tatiana Maslany, returns Saturday, June 10th at 10/9c. From the moment Sarah Manning (Tatiana Maslany) locked eyes with an unknown identical woman, who jumped to her death - her life has never been the same. She's found out she's a clone, that there are multiple clones out there, and multiple factions that sought to hunt, control, betray or kill them. Now, the final showdown with Rachel (Maslany), the one clone at the center of it all who's sought to destroy her and her sestras from day one begins. And as the walls close in on her, Sarah must decide her next move very carefully, for this time, it's life or death for everyone she loves. When we last saw Sarah, she'd been badly beaten in an epic physical battle against Rachel, that left her bruised and broken. Her foster mum, Mrs. S (Maria Doyle Kennedy), and daughter Kira (Skyler Wexler) were taken hostage and her sestra Cosima (Maslany) went missing. Now, Cosima and Alison (Maslany), and their allies have been brought to heel. Even more harrowing is that Kira has joined them in surrender. Rachel, sitting at the head of the Neolution table, has carte blanche access to their clone biology, and with Helena (Maslany) pregnant with twins, her biology is the most coveted of all. Sarah in a desperate attempt to regain control, realizes she must change tactics to pursue a long game. She, and those still able to fight, will uncover the missing pieces of the insidious conspiracy - and finally free themselves from the tyranny that has taken over their lives. Despite the great risk, the fight of her life will either set her and her sestras free, or see them meet their end. Returning cast this season include Jordan Gavaris as Felix, Kristian Bruun as Donnie, Kevin Hanchard as Detective Art Bell, Evelyne Brochu as Dr. Delphine Cormier, Josh Vokey as Scott and Ari Millen as Ira. Guest stars include James Frain as Ferdinand, Lauren Hammersley as Adele and new addition, Jenessa Grant as Mud, Cosima's one true friend on the Island.
10 episode 5th and final season premieres 6/10/17.
Old 06-09-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Orphan Black (BBC America) -- The Fifth and Final Season Thread -- premieres 6/10

At this point I'm in it til the end, no matter how bad it gets. This is seriously the most confusing show with one storyline ever ha!

On another note, I hear the entire season has been given to members of the press. I wonder if everything will leak or show up on the internet soon....
Old 06-10-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Orphan Black (BBC America) -- The Fifth and Final Season Thread -- premieres 6/10

Originally Posted by starseed1981
At this point I'm in it til the end, no matter how bad it gets. This is seriously the most confusing show with one storyline ever ha!
Same here.
Got complicated when they introduced the Castor halves in S3. Those freaky maggot bots last season were more fascinating, appealing than the male clones.

You lose track who's good/bad guy (who knew Estee Lauder would be part of this convoluted clone conspiracy? )
But it's been a trip watching Ms. Maslany running around and inhabit all these characters.
Old 06-10-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

S1 was amazing. Season 2 was good, but a dip. Season 3 was confusing and not too good. Season 4 was a marked improvement and a good return to season 1. Really hoping season 5 can end strong and turn things around.

I suspect I'll probably end up catching this in chunks, and finish out the last 2-3 episodes at once.
Old 06-10-17, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I haven't even watched S4. I have it, but just lost interest. Will wait for S5 to hit digital...
Old 06-10-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I'll watch it tonight but I have no real recollection of what happened in S4. Thank god for those reminders at the beginning of each episode.
Old 06-11-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The premiere was ok. Nothing memorable though.
Old 06-12-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I gave up on the story arc long ago, and don't even try to keep up. But I still love the show, mostly just watching Maslany's performance(s). And the dark humor, especially from Alison and Helena!
Old 07-23-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't usually get squeamish watching on-screen gore, but the closing scene of last night's episode was pretty graphic for basic cable. I think Lucio Fulci would be proud.
Old 07-24-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm a few episodes behind, but I'm struggling to find any kind of desire to keep watching this show.
Old 07-24-17, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

OMG how did I miss these news? Have seen 1-4 and love it. I'm waiting until it's on Amazon Prime though.
Old 07-24-17, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'm a few episodes behind, but I'm struggling to find any kind of desire to keep watching this show.
Yeah, this season has been kind of ropey.

It's not a complete clusterfuck, but it's underwhelming. It seems like so little has happened in the endgame that I'm stunned we're seven episodes in, with three to go. Feels like that should be the other way around. I really think they made the right call to end it at five seasons.

It's funny... in the early seasons I compared this to Lost, where you had a group of people brought together by strange occurences and some kind of global conspiracy involving shadowy corporations and weird science. And now, in the final season, they're on an island inhabiited by monsters and some kind of science cult led by an alleged ageless man. I'm waiting for polar bears to show up.
Old 07-24-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Were this not the final season, I would've bailed.
I'm just watching for Maslany's performance and closure.

I'm not totally following what's going on... I get the general gist - so that's enough for me.

The show's been repetitive since S1. It's like every few episodes someone is kidnapped and then escapes.

Helena is probably the character most people love on the show, and she's hardly been in it this season.

Is the actress who plays Kira having health issues? She looks bloated in the same way I've seen kids look when they have kidney problems.
Old 07-24-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'm struggling to find any kind of desire to keep watching this show.
Me, too. I loved the first season, and no subsequent season has come close to recapturing that magic. I've seen a lot of shows where it feels like the writers are making it up as they go along, but this show seems to take the damn cake. I haven't fallen behind, but I have to almost force myself to watch the previous episode on Thursday or Friday so I won't fall behind on Saturday.
Old 08-10-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I guess I'm on the same page as everyone else. I just started watching this season as a lead up to the finale, and the first two episodes have been a real drag for me. I'd like to stop but I suppose I should see it through.
Old 08-10-17, 12:23 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

I have like 5 episodes on the DVR. I barely paid attention to however many I've watched prior. I have no desire to finish it, even being the final season. I probably will. But it is a chore.
Old 08-10-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coral
Helena is probably the character most people love on the show, and she's hardly been in it this season.
Her or Allison and Allison has been in it less than Helena
Old 08-10-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

On TV Line there's an interview with Tatiana and it includes a chart of appearances by each character by season.
Old 08-10-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everyone here - up until partway through season 3, I used to LOVE this show. I have been confused as to what the hell the storyline is since Season 4 and this season hasn't improved on that at all. It still has great moments (still love Allison and Donnie and watching Tatiana do her thing) but if this weren't the last season, I would have bailed. I'm up to date and have very little enthusiasm going into the finale this week. A real shame that it went this way but I'll kind of be relieved when it's all over.
Old 08-13-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

And it goes off with a whimper. This was really uninspired and DULL. Most of the interesting stuff happens within the first 20 mins and the rest was just boring filler.

They would have been better off going with Episode 8 as the series finale.
Old 08-13-17, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Orphan Black movie may or not happen. The producers and Maslany seem open to that.
Old 08-13-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

They kinda dragged the second half, but it didn't bother me that much since it gives us a bigger glimpse at life post-Neolution.

A bitter-sweet ending with S gone.
Old 08-29-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just binged thru S05, and while hardly perfect I was glad we were given some closure.
Even with the convoluted plots I never failed to marvel at Maslany's performances - wow.

I enjoyed the series, but it was ready to wrap - and it did. All is good.
Old 12-30-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

This was stacked up on the DVR and I finally managed to get through the 7 episodes I had this week.

I think everybody covered everything, but despite being only 10 episodes, this felt dull. In general, it was difficult to follow all of the factions, including those that have been gone for seasons. I do get that there were two main factions for the male and female clone lines, but the fragments of religious finatics, cosmetic companies and boutique genetics really confused things.

I’m very glad they spent the better part of the hour wrapping things up with an epilogue - even if it was dull. Very disappointed that with everything that happened Sarah reverted back running away. I get the last shot showed she decided to stay, but it would have been good to see what she ended up doing.

I really would have liked a few minutes that showed the continual follow up and repercussions from the leaked information. After all, it was global and impacted a multi billion dollar industry!

Even if the series was uneven, it gave us one of the most fascinating acting performances in years if not ever, and gave us a really unique modern day sci-fi story that wasn’t set in a fantasy world or space. For that, I think it will be remember for a very long time.
Old 04-08-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

I am watching the end credits of episode 10 having finished up the binge of all 10 episodes I started yesterday and I felt the show went out on a high note. I for one am glad the last 20 minutes were just an opportunity to show the happy endings for the clones.

This show would have overstayed its welcome if it did not end with this season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.