Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Grateful Dead Documentary ‘Long Strange Trip’

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-05-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ULtDqU0SbfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Director Amir Bar-Lev and executive producer Martin Scorsese have sold the rights to the six-part Grateful Dead documentary Long Strange Trip to Amazon. I can't recommend this 6 episode/4 hour Grateful Dead documentary highly enough! Great archival footage and interesting interviews takes you on the band's journey/odyssey from their inception as a jug band into the Warlocks and then the Grateful Dead . It's currently only available to Amazon Prime subscribers and will hopefully become available via Blu-ray/DVD at some point.

https://www.jambase.com/article/typi...ad-documentary

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...ndance-w462673

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Strange-...g=mfconvert-20

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-06-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Grateful Dead Documentary ‘Long Strange Trip’

Finished this a couple of weeks ago. A good watch, and taught me a lot I didn't know about the band and their history.
Old 08-07-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I watched this too, great overview of why they truly are the greatest/most important american band of all time. It was great to see some footage of the wall of sound and trip to Egypt. If i'm going to nitpick it, I do think this should've been titled Jerry Garcia & Drugs, because that was the main focus.
Old 08-08-17, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was disappointing. If you weren't already a Deadhead, this feels inscrutable, and hardly touches on the actual music the band made. I understand that the personalities and images and drugs are a big part of their mystique, but the vast majority of their catalog wasn't even mentioned. The way those personalities and images and drugs influenced the music was barely mentioned.
Old 11-21-17, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grateful Dead Documentary ‘Long Strange Trip’ DVD release

When will we hear from AMAZON when the DVD will be released?
Old 11-21-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I thought it was disappointing. If you weren't already a Deadhead, this feels inscrutable, and hardly touches on the actual music the band made. I understand that the personalities and images and drugs are a big part of their mystique, but the vast majority of their catalog wasn't even mentioned. The way those personalities and images and drugs influenced the music was barely mentioned.
I could barely get through it. I'm not a Deadhead, I mostly found them entirely insufferable for years. But lately I've been introduced to a few of their longer, more progressive pieces and found something to enjoy (especially 'Weather Report Suite'), so I decided to give the documentary a shot.

Ugh. I agree with you. Unless you were already in major awe of the personalities and their following, this was a slog and a dud.
Old 11-21-17, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree. There were a few records I really liked. "Workingman's dead" and "American beauty" but I was more of a rocker.

I did not really know the backstory to the Dead. How they started, influenced the scene in Frisco and built such a huge following. Also their relentless work ethic and the harmful effect on the band.

What surprised me was the extensive use of LSD without any, obvious, negative, residual effects. This must be solely due to the purity of product.

This documentary is long, 3 1/2 hours, but I enjoyed it and thought it was very well put together. You can't please everyone. Look at the reviews. Overwhelmingly positive. So, if you did not care for this, you are not so much as "out of touch" but perhaps not "into" interesting music documentaries.

I would have loved to have seen this in a theater. WHEN is the DVD release??

P.S. I saw the Dead and New Riders in Santa Barbara "in the day". May 20th 1973.
Old 11-21-17, 10:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh brother. Glad you liked it. As a more casual fan of the band I found it inscrutable. I don’t care how many other people rated it positively. I went in wanting to learn more about the band and their music, but mostly just learned about the band.