Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018, D: McQuarrie) S: Tom Cruise

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-29-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/to...-6-1201552683/

Tom Cruise Announces Plans for ‘Mission: Impossible 6

Tom Cruise has revealed plans to return as Ethan Hunt for a sixth “Mission: Impossible,” asserting that shooting could start as early as a year from now.

Cruise made the announcement on Tuesday night’s “The Daily Show,” where he was promoting this week’s launch of “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation.”

“We’re starting to work on it now. We’ll probably start shooting it next summer,” he told host Jon Stewart.

The previous films in the franchise have all been separated by at least four years.

Reps for Paramount, which has released all five films in the franchise dating back to 1996, had no comment. The other films were released in 2000, 2006 and 2011.

The “Mission: Impossible” franchise has grossed a combined $2 billion at the worldwide box office. “Rogue Nation,” which carries a $150 million pricetag, will open in 40 international markets this weekend as well, including the U.K., Australia, Mexico and South Korea.

Cruise is also a producer on “Rogue Nation” along with J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and David Ellison. Christopher McQuarrie is directing from a screenplay he wrote with Drew Pearce.

The previous films were directed by Brian De Palma, John Woo, Abrams and Brad Bird.

Cruise, 53, is currently shooting drug thriller “Mena” with Doug Liman directing. He also said during the show that he’s discussed an “Edge of Tomorrow” sequel with McQuarrie and Liman, who wrote and directed the sci-fier, respectively.
Old 07-29-15, 07:42 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
re: Mission: Impossible 6 -- S: Tom Cruise, D:Shyamalan -- In Development

I'm game.
Old 07-29-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Awesome. By now, I usually make the ": In Space" joke. Then I was thinking - you know, a high-altitude stunt (ala that Red Bull-funded skydiver) in an MI movie would be awesome. Knowing Cruise, he'd probably train and do it himself.
Old 07-29-15, 09:59 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

^^ just saw an ESPN 30 for 30 commercial for the guy who jumped from space from the weather balloon and thought "that's how hunt can infiltrate some shit...do it from a massive space jump". Seems like something cruise could put together and do the stunt himself.

*edit* fck, that's essentially what you said :facepalm:
Old 07-29-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible 6 -- S: Tom Cruise, D:Shyamalan -- In Development

M Night directing? Now THAT is an Impossible Mission!
Old 07-29-15, 10:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

What the hell is that about with M Night being listed as director on the thread title?!? Good lord please no.
Old 07-29-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supposedly the producers are toying with the idea of making and releasing M:I 7 before M:I 6. A novel approach to be sure.
Old 07-29-15, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like an M Night twist to me.
Old 07-29-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This series has been smart to change up directors for each outing but at the Q&A I went to, Cruise said he wanted McQuarrie to direct the next one too - Chris said at this point he's so exhausted he can't think beyond this one just coming out...but it sounded like it'd happen.
Old 07-29-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Awesome. By now, I usually make the ": In Space" joke. Then I was thinking - you know, a high-altitude stunt (ala that Red Bull-funded skydiver) in an MI movie would be awesome. Knowing Cruise, he'd probably train and do it himself.
How he's managed to literally top himself every time, 5 times over, is pretty remarkable. A high altitude stunt could probably top the plane and water stunts in 5, but its gonna be harder and harder to do after that, figuring in his age and the fact that they've done everything but shoot him out of a cannon.
Old 07-30-15, 08:04 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I like McQuarrie. I have no issue if they have him write the script again, but I feel this franchise thrives on having a different director helm each installment.
Old 08-01-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mission Impossible: Razor's Edge
Mission Impossible: Black Ice
Mission Impossible: High Voltage
Mission Impossible: '74 Jailbreak

Let's see... They could film a scene with him running with the bulls in Pamplona. Fighting atop a semi as it careens down the freeway at 100 mph. Light a mansion on fire, and have him fight his way from the top floor to the ground floor, being kicked through walls that are ablaze.

None of these are particularly good ideas, I'll grant you. But I'm tired, and it's all I've got, so, you know... Get off my back?
Old 08-01-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

For the next film, I wouldn't mind if they brought back Rebecca Ferguson. Thought she was pretty solid opposite Cruise from the action standpoint. She held her own really well. I also hope they bring back one of the previous female IMF agents like Zhen or Carter, which has been talked about before. Hopefully Maggie Q or Paula Patton are available the next time around.

I also feel like Ethan's relationship with Julia didn't really have closure. They kind of left things open at the end of Ghost Protocol.
Old 08-01-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I also feel like Ethan's relationship with Julia didn't really have closure. They kind of left things open at the end of Ghost Protocol.
They can't really bring her back, can they? I thought she basically had a new identity or something after she supposedly died overseas. Ethan just saw here there in her new life. It wouldn't be safe for her if Ethan got back together with her.
Old 08-02-15, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Mission Impossible: Razor's Edge
Mission Impossible: Black Ice
Mission Impossible: High Voltage
Mission Impossible: '74 Jailbreak

Let's see... They could film a scene with him running with the bulls in Pamplona. Fighting atop a semi as it careens down the freeway at 100 mph. Light a mansion on fire, and have him fight his way from the top floor to the ground floor, being kicked through walls that are ablaze.

None of these are particularly good ideas, I'll grant you. But I'm tired, and it's all I've got, so, you know... Get off my back?
That sounds like the climax of Knight & Day merged with the freeway chase from The Matrix Reloaded and the climax of the Paris sequence from Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.
Old 08-02-15, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Sounds like an M Night twist to me.
The ending is that Ethan Hunt was the real Jim Phelps all along. These movies were his origin story before he recreated the IMF as an NGO.
Old 08-02-15, 12:26 PM
Banned

Remove Shyamalan from the header, for fuck's sake.
Old 08-02-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The ending is that Ethan Hunt was the real Jim Phelps all along. These movies were his origin story before he recreated the IMF as an NGO.
Additionally, it is revealed that "Ethan" has been working with aliens on a plant-based neurotoxin designed to make humans complacent so they do not fight back during the alien invasion, which seems to be occurring in modern day. Oh yeah, and he's really dead.
Old 08-02-15, 03:11 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Paramount Pictures vice chairman Rob Moore is ready for more Ethan Hunt, strongly endorsing Tom Cruise’s recent announcement that “Mission: Impossible 6″ is in the works.

“We’re very happy to be developing this movie with Tom,” Moore told Variety. “There’s no question that Ethan Hunt deserves another film.”

The veteran executive was basking in the glow of a $121 million global opening for “Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation” — $56 million in the U.S. and another $65 million from 40% of international markets. “The international brand is as strong as ever,” he added.

It was the first public comment by Paramount execs — who tend to take a measured approach in discussing future films. Even as “Rogue Nation” opened on Friday, the studio was insisting that its tracking showed a $40 million U.S. opening, even though the final figure turned out to be 40% higher.

Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak, said he’s not surprised that another “Mission: Impossible” is in the works.

“I think it’s very smart,” he added. “Given the performance of ‘Rogue Nation,’ there has to be another movie.”

Cruise revealed plans on Tuesday to return in the Ethan Hunt role for a sixth “Mission: Impossible,” asserting that shooting could start as early as a year from now.

“We’re starting to work on it now. We’ll probably start shooting it next summer,” he told host Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show.”
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mi...nt-1201555090/
Old 08-02-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

“We’re very happy to be developing this movie with Tom; we just weren't aware of it," Moore told Variety. “There’s no question that Ethan Hunt deserves another film.”
Fixed ...

Cruise revealed plans on Tuesday to return in the Ethan Hunt role for a sixth “Mission: Impossible,” asserting that shooting could start as early as a year from now.

“We’re starting to work on it now in my head. We’ll probably start shooting it next summer,” he told host Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show.”
... and fixed.
Old 08-02-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Didn't know there was a switch to emphasis on worldwide openings outside of the U.S. nowadays. I feel that's a better way to look at it, especially with a movie like this where Cruise is still a big deal overseas .

That said, if Shyamalan makes this, we might be in for some major twist that everything from part II onward was some kind of strange hallucination by Hunt and everyone else is dead or a ghost .
Old 08-02-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I think MI:6 should have Ethan Hunt breaking into L.A.'s Scientology Center to retrieve the blackmail files they are holding on him.
Old 08-02-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think MI:6 should have Ethan Hunt breaking into L.A.'s Scientology Center to retrieve the blackmail files they are holding on him.
Funny enough, when I was at Walgreens today, I saw some magazine claiming he quit Scientology to be with his daughter. It would seem somewhat plausible if not for the same magazine cover showing a picture of "Scientology agents searching for Tom."
Old 08-04-15, 02:37 PM

With these films, you have two potential "income streams" - the diehard cult movie buff and the casual buyer looking for something to shock their mates with! I'm sure they could be marketed to appeal to both.
Old 11-19-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Christopher McQuarrie Eyeing Return for ‘Mission: Impossible 6’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Following the massive success of “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,” Paramount and Skydance are hoping to stay in business with writer-director Christopher McQuarrie. According to sources close to the situation, McQuarrie will return to write “Mission: Impossible 6,” as well as possibly direct the next installment.

The studio and reps for McQuarrie have declined to comment, but several sources with knowledge of the situation say talks are progressing towards a deal being closed, with one insider saying that the studio plans to get production up and running by next August.

Tom Cruise is set to star with the studio also holding an option for Rebecca Ferguson to reprise her “Rogue Nation” role of Ilsa Faust. Cruise is currently filming “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back” in New Orleans. Following the success of “Rogue Nation,” Paramount made it clear they wanted to move fast to get the next installment of the popular “M:I” franchise into production sometime next year.

If McQuarrie’s deal closes, it would mark a major milestone for the franchise, which has never had a director helm more than one installment.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mi...ie-1201644952/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.