Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 Summer Simulcasts

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

2017 Summer Simulcasts

Old 07-17-17, 07:06 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
2017 Summer Simulcasts

We're about 2-3 weeks into the Summer season. What are you guys watching?

Here's the list of shows:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I'm currently watching:

My Hero Academia: Season 2 - Probably the best show of the year.

Tsurezure Children - The first 5 minutes of Episode #2 was so funny I couldn't stop laughing. This might end up being my favorite show of the season.

New Game!! - I loved the first season, and this one should be just as good.

Classroom of the Elite - I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far it's really interesting. I've seen a lot of people compare it to Oregairu which is one of my favorites.

Restaurant to Another World - I've been enjoying it. But I was expecting an overall storyline, rather than a collection of short stories.

A Centaur's Life - I liked the first two episodes. It's a fun Demi-chan slice-of-life show.

I also plan to check out Koi to Uso, Gamers!, Aho-Girl, In Another World With My Smartphone, Made in Abyss, and Princess Principal.
Old 07-17-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: 2017 Summer Simulcasts

Made in Abyss
Fate/Apocrypha
Knight's & Magic
Princess Principal
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Project Altair
18if
Kakegurui
Old 07-17-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I'm probably in for Violet Evergarden and Magus Bride. I liked the first episode I saw of Welcome to the Ballroom at AnimeExpo, but I doubt I'll subscribe to Anime Strike just for that.

Anything to recommend for watching with my young daughter? Since Netflix finally released it we're going through Little Witch Academia.
Old 07-18-17, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Anything to recommend for watching with my young daughter? Since Netflix finally released it we're going through Little Witch Academia.
Are you looking for dubbed shows, or can she read subs? Which streaming services do you have?

My Hero Academia would be a fun show for kids. Great humor, lots of action, colorful visuals, and content suitable for all ages.
Old 07-18-17, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm probably in for Violet Evergarden and Magus Bride. I liked the first episode I saw of Welcome to the Ballroom at AnimeExpo, but I doubt I'll subscribe to Anime Strike just for that.

Violet Evergarden isn't going to air until next year. It got delayed.
And Magus Bride is next season...
Old 07-18-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Are you looking for dubbed shows, or can she read subs? Which streaming services do you have?

My Hero Academia would be a fun show for kids. Great humor, lots of action, colorful visuals, and content suitable for all ages.
I love My Hero Academia but I read the manga and it does get very very violent and bloody, and there's the unavoidable fanservice (which is still light compared to non shonen, but still, for a genre that actively avoids having boy girl relationships develop they sure love showing a lot of skin). I'll have her read the manga first. I mean just the way Deku uses his powers until very recently is cringe inducing.

I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Amazon Prime but not Strike. She likes dubs but it's not super important. For instance she loves Glitter Force and I wish there was a proper sub of PreCure to show her instead.

Originally Posted by Koby
Violet Evergarden isn't going to air until next year. It got delayed.
And Magus Bride is next season...
Oh, I was just going by the list in the link. Are those not all summer shows? Weird because both of those shows had premiere episodes at Anime Expo so I assumed they were ready to go.
Old 07-18-17, 11:23 AM

I love My Hero Academia but I read the manga and it does get very very violent and bloody, and there's the unavoidable fanservice (which is still light compared to non shonen, but still, for a genre that actively avoids having boy girl relationships develop they sure love showing a lot of skin). I'll have her read the manga first. I mean just the way Deku uses his powers until very recently is cringe inducing.

I have Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Amazon Prime but not Strike. She likes dubs but it's not super important. For instance she loves Glitter Force and I wish there was a proper sub of PreCure to show her instead.
You're right about the violence in My Hero Academia. I was thinking of it as cartoonish violence and not too realistic. But it might be too much for a little girl.

Unfortunately, those 3 streaming services don't carry many dubs. If she likes dubs, you might want to consider getting Funimation.

Here's three shows I wanted to show my niece. Unfortunately, she has no patience for subtitles.

If she can handle subtitles, I recommend Squid Girl. It's a really fun show.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/squid-girl

Encouragement Of Climb is a great show. It's about young girls going hiking together. It'll teach her a lot about Japan and the culture. The first season is 3 minute shorts, but the second season expands to 15 minute episodes. I really loved that show. And it's coming back for a 3rd season next year.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/encouragement-of-climb

Another amazing show is Girls und Panzer. No fanservice or violence, lots of action and comedy.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/girls-und-panzer
Old 07-18-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
You're right about the violence in My Hero Academia. I was thinking of it as cartoonish violence and not too realistic. But it might be too much for a little girl.

Unfortunately, those 3 streaming services don't carry many dubs. If she likes dubs, you might want to consider getting Funimation.

Here's three shows I wanted to show my niece. Unfortunately, she has no patience for subtitles.

If she can handle subtitles, I recommend Squid Girl. It's a really fun show.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/squid-girl

Encouragement Of Climb is a great show. It's about young girls going hiking together. It'll teach her a lot about Japan and the culture. The first season is 3 minute shorts, but the second season expands to 15 minute episodes. I really loved that show. And it's coming back for a 3rd season next year.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/encouragement-of-climb

Another amazing show is Girls und Panzer. No fanservice or violence, lots of action and comedy.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/girls-und-panzer
Thanks for the recommendations! I actually own Squid Girl and Girls und Panzer on Blu-ray somewhere in my massive backlog pile, but I had completely forgotten about them. She read the first Rayearth manga so I got her the Blu-ray of Magic Knights Rayearth as well (since my ancient DVD collection is buried somewhere in a box).

It's so hard for me to tell sometimes which anime are full of fanservice like Kan Colle or Strike Witches and which are not, like Girls Und Panzer, unless I'm really familiar with the source material. And I'm someone who's watched a ton of anime.
Old 07-18-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Squid Girl is adorable, gentle humor and fun for all ages. Highly recommended.

Another cute show for her may be Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/listen-to...im-your-father

Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop for something just as heartwarming but more serious.
Old 07-18-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Usagi Drop/Bunny Drop for something just as heartwarming but more serious.
Until you read the manga...
Old 08-01-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I'm in for Knight's and Magic. So far it's the normal isekai wish fulfillment except the guy is a mecha freak, which plays right into my niche. I could do without the "boy is so pretty everyone thinks he's a girl" trope, though.

Looking at the lineup, I'm kinda bummed a lot of shows I was looking forward to are on Amazon's separate subscription service Anime Strike. Which I guess is the point.

Oh, btw, for anyone looking for recommendations for kids, Amazon prime (not strike) does have Ronja, the Robber's daughter, which is a Ghibli CGI tv show. It doesn't live up to their films any means but still cool. Though I have no idea how anyone finds anything on their abortion of a streaming service.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-03-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, caught up with Knight's and Magic. I feel like they're rushing through the light novels just to get it out there, so the pacing is all kinds of terrible.
Old 09-05-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, caught up with Knight's and Magic. I feel like they're rushing through the light novels just to get it out there, so the pacing is all kinds of terrible.
As a mecha nut, still persisting through this, but this far into the show there's just zero tension. The protagonist is like the worst kind of Gary Stu character, everything he does is just going to succeed no matter what, there's absolutely no obstacles in his path (though they did kind of introduce one this last episode).
Old 09-22-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still watching just two:
Knight's and Magic: Though it still feels like I'm just getting the synopsis.

Gamers!: I'm an avid gamer, and while there's certainly that kind of fanservice in this, it's more about relationships and incredibly convoluted misunderstandings between two boys and three (four?) girls. It's got the harem tropes, it's got a wishy washy main character who everyone gathers around, it's got the super popular girl who is just irrationally in love with the main character, it's got a lot of things I hate about the genre, and yet I love it. It's so Japanese, though; I couldn't see American teens acting like this, even uber nerds, and besides the eyecatches it's surprisingly free of fanservice, which I actually like.