Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E21) -- "Resist" -- 5/15/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E21) -- "Resist" -- 5/15/17

After all the political mumbo jumbo propaganda this show has force-fed this season in it's attempt to tell me Trump is bad; rather than focus on being an entertaining show about Supergirl, I'm really doubting whether I'll even give this show a chance next season. I don't watch comic-book tv shows for political agendas, I watch them for the entertainment and the characters; something this show has failed to do this season.

Last edited by Koby; 05-17-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The question is whether the CW executives recognize the cause of the ratings drop (which many of us believe is the thinly-veiled political commentary) and if they can, or even want to, rein in Berlanti. Melissa also seems on board with the show's overtly political direction, so would she stay if the CW cracked down on it?
Old 05-17-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
After all the political mumbo jumbo propaganda this show has force-fed this season in it's attempt to tell me Trump is bad; rather than focus on being an entertaining show about Supergirl, I'm really doubting whether I'll even give this show a chance next season. I don't watch comic-book tv shows for political agendas, I watch them for the entertainment and the characters; something this show has failed to do this season.
SHIELD has been doing the same thing, but in a less ham-handed way.
Old 05-18-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I'm not a liberal either unless I'm going to be labeled as such just because I speak out in support of equality for women and the LGBT community. I'm also happy to accept the claim that I'm on my high horse of superiority if that's the opposite if what you and others put out there on those topics.
Ok Mickey. If your idea of speaking out on equality for women and LBTQ issues is attacking anyone who dares to be criticize bad storytelling on a TV series then you keep on being a social justice warrior.
Old 05-18-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Ok Mickey. If your idea of speaking out on equality for women and LBTQ issues is attacking anyone who dares to be criticize bad storytelling on a TV series then you keep on being a social justice warrior.
Again with the use of SJW. Know who uses that label? Alt-right bigots trying to deflect after they have been called on their shit.

BTW: Nothing is forcing you to assume your guilt and reply the way you have. But for some reason you take it personally every time.
Old 05-18-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Again with the use of SJW. Know who uses that label? Alt-right bigots trying to deflect after they have been called on their shit
Oh Mickey you always bring a laugh to me. Thanks for that.

BTW: Nothing is forcing you to assume your guilt and reply the way you have. But for some reason you take it personally every time.
And yet, even when people list valid reasons why they don't like something that have nothing to do with race, sex or homophobia, you immediately take it personally and have to accuse them of making it about race, sex or homophobia. People have been criticizing the Alex/Maggie story has being badly written as early as the sixth episode and you immediately accused everyone who didn't like it as making it about the fact that they are lesbians. A bigger question would be why your so intent on always making this about something they aren't.
Old 05-18-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

And yet, even when people list valid reasons why they don't like something that have nothing to do with race, sex or homophobia, you immediately take it personally and have to accuse them of making it about race, sex or homophobia. People have been criticizing the Alex/Maggie story has being badly written as early as the sixth episode and you immediately accused everyone who didn't like it as making it about the fact that they are lesbians. A bigger question would be why your so intent on always making this about something they aren't.
Just one example:

Of course Maggie is attached to Alex at the hip incase we forgot that Alex is a lesbian now and Maggie always needs to be around Alex.
What makes this a "valid reason"? Did you criticize Kara's relationship with Mon-El? What's the difference?

It's comments like what I quoted that make it seem like it's less about the writing and more about the fact that you think a lesbian relationship on TV is a "statement" or "political". Alex was worried about her girlfriend during the apocalypse. What terrible writing!
Old 05-18-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And yet, even when people list valid reasons why they don't like something that have nothing to do with race, sex or homophobia, you immediately take it personally and have to accuse them of making it about race, sex or homophobia.
I have acknowledged multiple times in the weekly threads (and posted my own complaints) the other reasons to be down on this show. I'm not at all surprised the ratings have tanked given the loss of Cat, the terrible additions of Snapper/Guardian, and what have mostly been completely stupid episodes about aliens rather than the villains that would come from all that familiar DC source material.

I'm just commenting on what I see along with the others. And I'm not at all alone here in noticing what I have posted about despite you making it all about me. In this thread I was actually quoting two previous comments. But I'm done responding to your "who, me?" responses. You're not kidding anybody and it's clear this back and forth is worthless.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-18-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Just one example:

What makes this a "valid reason"? Did you criticize Kara's relationship with Mon-El? What's the difference?

It's comments like what I quoted that make it seem like it's less about the writing and more about the fact that you think a lesbian relationship on TV is a "statement" or "political". Alex was worried about her girlfriend during the apocalypse. What terrible writing!
There are far worse examples of the handling of romantic relationships on these CW DC shows, so the rationale behind the focus is crystal clear.
Old 05-18-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think we can all agree that Berlanti's DC shows poorly handle all romantic relationships. I can't think of one good relationship developed on them that didn't have major issues. LOT probably did them best because they approach them with a much lighter hand.

Personally, if they dropped all romance sub-plots tomorrow from them, it would be a major improvement.
Old 05-18-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have criticized Mon El and Kara's relationship before. In fact I have done it many, many times. I've also mentioned how the only thing they have done with Mon El this season is make him overly obsessed with Kara to the point that you almost expect him to be banging on her door drunk at three in the morning begging her to take him back. I've also said how I wish he would leave the show before if all he's going to be is Kara's love toy.

And yet again, I've made mention about how their relationship is horribly written and has dragged the show down. The show is called Supergirl, it's not a Sex in the City spinoff. Take Joe's storyline on The Flash. Is it extraneous? Yes. However, it was featured sparingly enough that it didn't derail any episodes. You know what I don't care to see? Subplots about Joe forgetting Valentine's Day. What did we get on Supergirl? Stories about Alex and Maggie getting in fights, crying, not celebrating Valentines Day, going on dates with ex-girlfriends, and generally giving us plotlines no one cares about on a superhero show and dragging down entire episodes. That's not counting that Maggie wasn't a likeable character. For the life of me, I saw nothing in either that made me believe that they belonged together.

In fact I even addressed how the writers always wanted Maggie around Alex to remind us they were together, and oftentimes she had no purpose to be around Maggie other than that reason, and she should have just been a DEO agent. I also criticized the Alex/Maggie relationship for running the Danvers sister relationship that was so strong in season one. Drat those pesky facts before you make your biased claims.

There are far worse examples of the handling of romantic relationships on these CW DC shows, so the rationale behind the focus is crystal clear.
You just won't come off it will you? I've again criticized the relationships in the DC shows quite frequently. In fact I even had a quote saying that the Alex/Maggie relationship was as bad as Oliver and Felicity and have criticized other relationships. The difference is that Arrow, Flash and Legends didn't decide that a B-level character needs to have significant romantic plot lines in almost an entire season. But hey, why should you actually know what your talking about before making that claim?
Old 05-19-17, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Personally, if they dropped all romance sub-plots tomorrow from them, it would be a major improvement.
They won't, because it's the CW and that's what it is.
Old 05-19-17, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have criticized Mon El and Kara's relationship before. In fact I have done it many, many times. I've also mentioned how the only thing they have done with Mon El this season is make him overly obsessed with Kara to the point that you almost expect him to be banging on her door drunk at three in the morning begging her to take him back. I've also said how I wish he would leave the show before if all he's going to be is Kara's love toy.

And yet again, I've made mention about how their relationship is horribly written and has dragged the show down. The show is called Supergirl, it's not a Sex in the City spinoff. Take Joe's storyline on The Flash. Is it extraneous? Yes. However, it was featured sparingly enough that it didn't derail any episodes. You know what I don't care to see? Subplots about Joe forgetting Valentine's Day. What did we get on Supergirl? Stories about Alex and Maggie getting in fights, crying, not celebrating Valentines Day, going on dates with ex-girlfriends, and generally giving us plotlines no one cares about on a superhero show and dragging down entire episodes. That's not counting that Maggie wasn't a likeable character. For the life of me, I saw nothing in either that made me believe that they belonged together.

In fact I even addressed how the writers always wanted Maggie around Alex to remind us they were together, and oftentimes she had no purpose to be around Maggie other than that reason, and she should have just been a DEO agent. I also criticized the Alex/Maggie relationship for running the Danvers sister relationship that was so strong in season one. Drat those pesky facts before you make your biased claims.

You just won't come off it will you? I've again criticized the relationships in the DC shows quite frequently. In fact I even had a quote saying that the Alex/Maggie relationship was as bad as Oliver and Felicity and have criticized other relationships. The difference is that Arrow, Flash and Legends didn't decide that a B-level character needs to have significant romantic plot lines in almost an entire season. But hey, why should you actually know what your talking about before making that claim?
Why are you so mad? It's just tv show. That you're not being forced to watch. I've been watching all these DC shows on the CW app for week to week and here at the end I feel like it was kind of waste of my time. Binge watching is my preferable way to watch tv and I think if I continue to watch these shows it'll have to be that way.
Old 05-19-17, 05:15 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

how many regular humans are going to die listening to Cat grant and standing up to the super powered super weapon holding daxonites ?
Old 05-19-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope they go all out for the Superman fight. Odd that the alien girlfriend was missing from team Guardian. Having Cat recognize Jimmy was funny but predictable.
Old 05-20-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why are you so mad? It's just tv show. That you're not being forced to watch.
Your right I don't have to watch it. But that doesn't change the fact that I want it to be good. I was worried that CBS would cancel it because I enjoyed season 1 and wanted it to come back. To be fed something this awful is disheartening because I like Benoist and the character and it's frustrating. But I'll still watch it hoping they turn it around like Arrow did this year.

But I'm not really mad about it. What makes me mad is when posters come into threads and make dumb blanket statements like everyone hating an episode because they hate women, or because they hate the LBTQ community. If they like it, more power to them but to come in and act like a troll annoys me.
Old 05-20-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What makes me mad is when posters come into threads and make dumb blanket statements like everyone hating an episode because they hate women, or because they hate the LBTQ community. If they like it, more power to them but to come in and act like a troll annoys me.
Quote a post that includes the word everyone, or even one that makes a blanket statement meant to apply to everyone that watches the show.

You will not find one because the posts I have written, and the other similar posts I have read, have been specifically been about those that make loaded comments about the racial, LGBT, and female equality content. The comments were not even directed and any specific individuals so anybody taking offense probably should look into their guilt issues.
Old 07-18-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

"a well placed bullet will take them down"
said while handling a rifle that has no rear sight
Old 07-18-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
how many regular humans are going to die listening to Cat grant and standing up to the super powered super weapon holding daxonites ?

yeah, she could have at least told everyone they have a huge weakness to lead so that the humans could use weapons that will quickly take care of the problem