Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE THING: 2-Disc Collector's Edition -9/20/16

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-08-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Bonus Features
  • NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
  • NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
  • Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
  • NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney And More…
  • NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
  • NEW Behind The Chameleon – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman And Brian Wade And More…
  • NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
  • NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (80 minutes – SD)
  • Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (12 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Promotional Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
  • Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
  • Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
  • Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
  • Teaser Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots
  • Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
  • And Still More To Be Added!

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/fi...ctor-s-edition
Old 06-08-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: THE THING: 2-Disc Collector's Edition -9/20/16

Deluxe Limited Edition contains:
  • The collector's edition Blu-Ray with slipcover
  • A limited edition 18" x 24" poster of the newly-designed art from artist Paul Shipper
  • A second slipcover — made exclusively for this promotion — featuring newly-designed art from artist Nat Marsh
  • A limited edition 18" x 24" poster of the newly-designed art from artist Nat Marsh
  • Early shipping to arrive three weeks before the national street date

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/fi...imited-edition
Old 06-08-16, 09:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need for the LE but that's a great sounding new set of extras. Pity they didn't use the original poster art though.
Old 06-08-16, 09:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

This is perhaps my 4th favorite film and I'm a sucker for exclusives, but I'm not in at $35. Will wait for $13 at Amazon next year.
Old 06-08-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I almost picked this up but decided to wait for an inevitable SE. Glad I waited.
Old 06-08-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
No need for the LE but that's a great sounding new set of extras. Pity they didn't use the original poster art though.
Most Scream Factory Collector's Editions have reversible artwork and usually the original artwork is on the reversible side.
Old 06-08-16, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's "gone", MacReady.
Old 06-09-16, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In, but once it gets to sub $20 since this is a quadruple dip for me. I'm not sure if its my 3rd or 4th favorite movie of all time, but I know its behind Escape from NY and Spaceballs .
Old 06-09-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

You gotta be fuckin' kidding.
Old 06-09-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

The deluxe edition is already sold out according to Shout. That's crazy.

I'll just get it from Amazon. Not to keen on paying a premium for the posters and slip cover.
Old 06-09-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not surprised. As many have posted, it's possibly the most popular/well known title they have released. I was considering it just to guarantee I would get the exclusive slipcover and I would sell/trade the everything else except the actual discs. I thought about it for too long!
Old 06-09-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

I might have jumped on it if I liked either of the two new posters even a little. They're both pretty darn ugly. Nothing is be interested in hanging on my wall.
Old 06-09-16, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I might have jumped on it if I liked either of the two new posters even a little. They're both pretty darn ugly. Nothing is be interested in hanging on my wall.
That's the conclusion I came to as well. I'm actually in the midst of doing my movie room/man cave, and none of those I would want to frame and put up on the wall. I'm much better off going and finding an old movie poster. Hrmm....*off to Ebay*
Old 06-09-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

UNTIL I know it is not another fucked up transfer from Shout this is meh. Their track record lately is horrible. Extra's be dammed. Most of that is still rehashed from the DVD.

NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney And More…
NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
NEW Behind The Chameleon

These are the only things that remotely interest me.
Old 06-09-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This is perhaps my 4th favorite film and I'm a sucker for exclusives, but I'm not in at $35. Will wait for $13 at Amazon next year.
Stop buying comics for a minute and buy it for $20 from Amazon when it becomes available.
Old 06-09-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Some of the special features from the CE dvd edition aren't listed (or aren't listed properly) in the specs for the Blu.

Specifically:

-Stop Motion Animation cut from the film
-Exclusive work-in-progress visual effects footage
-Behind-the-scenes location footage

However I wonder if some of it will fall under the umbrella of this:

Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
Old 06-10-16, 12:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Stop buying comics for a minute and buy it for $20 from Amazon when it becomes available.
I haven't bought a comic all day, thanks for the reminder!

But seriously, I can't pay $20 for any film, even my favorite, especially since I own it multiple times already. I can wait an extra three months and save $5-10.
Old 06-10-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
UNTIL I know it is not another fucked up transfer from Shout this is meh. Their track record lately is horrible. Extra's be dammed. Most of that is still rehashed from the DVD.

NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney And More…
NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
NEW Behind The Chameleon

These are the only things that remotely interest me.
I completely agree, my sentiments exactly. This release is NOT a guaranteed home-run, slam dunk, or day-one purchase for me, for the simple reason that I've been burned too many times by shoddy encodes from Scream Factory to trust them implicitly (like, it seems, that so many others do).

They're concentrating on extras of late at the expense of what should be the backbone of every release: a top-notch transfer and encode.

Although THE THING is my favorite Carenter film by far, and favorite horror film, and I'm glad for the announcement, I'd feel a lot better if Arrow was handling this one!
Old 06-10-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed that this is far from a sure thing, especially with Cundey's tendency towards revisionism. I approach it with more caution than optimism, but hey, one never knows. This is probably the most high profile release Shout have ever done, so hopefully they're putting in a lot of effort. The extras sound nice, but it's the transfer that's going to be the big issue. It's still months away, so I suppose only time will tell.
Old 06-10-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Also it seems Shout ships the posters folded, that sealed the deal for me. I've been buying a lot of prints (more than I should) the past few yrs... so, I have a few of those 18 by 24 poster portfolio books. A fan of Paul Shipper, and I think he did the best he could for this. (it was probably required to include the cast faces) Just gonna get it from Amazon, looking forward to it!
Old 06-10-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I went for the deluxe edition since I like both posters. Don't mind that they are folded since most older posters that were sent to theaters were done the same way. Also I have never had a problem with Shout's transfers since I can't remember what the color timing was like when I saw a film in 1982.
Old 06-11-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Agreed that this is far from a sure thing, especially with Cundey's tendency towards revisionism. I approach it with more caution than optimism, but hey, one never knows. This is probably the most high profile release Shout have ever done, so hopefully they're putting in a lot of effort. The extras sound nice, but it's the transfer that's going to be the big issue. It's still months away, so I suppose only time will tell.

Teal and orange, teal and orange...
Old 06-12-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Teal and orange, teal and orange...
= Absolutely No Sale from me, and I hope many, many others to send a clear and unequivocal message that 'revisionism' is bad, worse, and ugly!

But, may the Gods be crazy, and may I happily be proven WRONG!
Old 06-14-16, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Agreed that this is far from a sure thing, especially with Cundey's tendency towards revisionism.
What blu-rays do you have issues with that he supervised?

I thought Halloween and The Fog looked great. He apparently didn't supervise the transfer of Escape from New York(I think it was done in house by Shout), which has major issues along with not including the original audio mix. So I skipped that release and stuck with the original M.G.M. release which looks great to me.
Old 06-14-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
What blu-rays do you have issues with that he supervised?

I thought Halloween and The Fog looked great. He apparently didn't supervise the transfer of Escape from New York(I think it was done in house by Shout), which has major issues along with not including the original audio mix. So I skipped that release and stuck with the original M.G.M. release which looks great to me.
He's referring to the 35th Anniversary Edition of Halloween, which had a video transfer supervised by Dean Cundey that looked wildly different than the prior THX DVD release he also supervised.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.