Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightbreed: Cabal Cut

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-14-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A few years back, Scream Factory in the US finally gave fans the fully loaded release that Nightbreed fans have been clamouring for for years. Nightbreed: The Director's Cut brought in an additional 40 minutes of footage, and a boatload of special features. It's great, and worth seeking out, especially since it took forever for the film to get the kind of treatment that lesser horror movies already had.

So that should have settled that, right? Well, not exactly. You see there's another extended cut of Nightbreed, one even more comprehensive, that made the rounds at select screenings recently. That one is known as Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut, and it contains even more footage.

Nightbreed was based on Clive Barker's short story, "Cabal" and while he directed the film, it had a troubled production. That led to extensive amounts of footage not being used, and for years it was thought to be lost, and nobody ever thought we'd get to see the movie that Barker intended.

The Cabal Cut runs 145 minutes, which is at least a few minutes longer than The Director's Cut from Scream Factory. Some of what's included in The Cabal Cut is of low quality, and according to the folks at the CliveBarkerCast (who had the exclusive reveal) there's still about 12 minutes of footage included in this that comes from VHS footage. But apparently a lot of the other extra footage has been cleaned up considerably since this was screening circa 2013.

Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut is apparently set for "a very limited Blu-ray release" from Seraphim. There's no date yet, but hopefully this arrives in time for a ceremonial Halloween viewing.
Old 07-14-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Nightbreed: Cabal Cut

The directors cut was bloated enough and for me didn't really add much. Pass.
Old 07-14-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem I had with it was the low quality VHS material. Sounds like this will have even more of that.

It will sell out quick though so might make for a good investment. I've never heard of this label before.
Old 07-14-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I've never heard of this label before.
I believe Seraphim is Clive's production company.
Old 07-14-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

During all the hoopla when the driector's cut was released I rewatched the theatrical cut for the first time in years. It was terrible. I'm not sure I could stand an almost 2 and a half hours of Nightbreed.

Yet I'm still oddly interested in seeing this cut...what's wrong with me?
Old 07-14-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely in for this (if I can get a copy)!
Old 07-14-17, 10:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I'm just fine with the nice box set I got from Sream thank you very much. Haven't even seen it yet. I can deal with not having the extra crappy VHS footage or whatever. Think I saw this theatrically. Not sure what I thought, but didn't hate it. I think I just didn't appreciate Cronenberg yet and his style, though this seemed a little more fantasy than his others...
Old 07-14-17, 10:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
During all the hoopla when the driector's cut was released I rewatched the theatrical cut for the first time in years. It was terrible. I'm not sure I could stand an almost 2 and a half hours of Nightbreed.

Yet I'm still oddly interested in seeing this cut...what's wrong with me?
Did you see the DC version yet?
Old 07-15-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is one of my favorite horrors,so I'm in. I enjoyed the DC, and would welcome a longer cut (although no amount of added footage could fix David Cronenberg's monotonal performance!).As long as it's not obscenely priced.
Old 07-15-17, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed the theatrical version when I watched it many years ago, never got around to picking up the director's cut.

Considering that this will most likely be extra expensive due to it being limited in nature, maybe I will use it as an excuse to finally pick up the Director's Cut.
Old 07-15-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh you found more footage after everybody paid $80 for the limited edition, how convenient.
Old 07-15-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm in.
Old 07-17-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Think I saw this theatrically. Not sure what I thought, but didn't hate it. I think I just didn't appreciate Cronenberg yet and his style, though this seemed a little more fantasy than his others...
David Cronenberg acts in the movie, but it was written and directed by Clive Barker.
Old 08-03-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty turned off about this release now but I might as well update it for anyone interested.

1. They are only making 250 copies.
2. Only available on Clive Barker's store.
3. Price to be determined. (Means $$$)
4. Orders will be available whenever they get them. (So will sell out quickly to scalpers)
Old 08-04-17, 08:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm fine with my Director's Cut BD, curious about the Cabal Cut but not enough to buy it.
Old 08-04-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I predict that out of 250 copies 250 copies end up on ebay.
Old 09-15-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone attending Son of Monsterpalooza this weekend in Burbank, CA, there will be copies for sale at the Clive Barker Store booth.

Don't know how many but the picture I saw on their Instagram looked like a dozen or so on sale.

I really wish they would have started the Pre-Orders the same time as these Convention sales
Old 09-15-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love horror flicks but can't ever get into this one. Making it longer isn't going to help. I seen the director's cut and it was awful. The theatrical cut is okay at best. I'll keep my wallet in my pocket on this one.
Old 09-15-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend of mine (who is currently attending Son of Monsterpalooza) picked me up a copy of the (Standard) Blu-Ray at the Clive Barker Store booth.

They were asking $50 but according to one of the people working the booth it will retail at $75

The Standard Edition is limited to 50 Copies ($75)

The Deluxe Edition is limited to 200 Copies ($250)

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2017/...elease-update/

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-16-17 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
A friend of mine (who is currently attending Son of Monsterpalooza) picked me up a copy of the (Standard) Blu-Ray at the Clive Barker Store booth.

They were asking $50 but according to one of the people working the booth it will retail at $75

The Standard Edition is limited to 50 Copies ($75)

The Deluxe Edition is limited to 200 Copies ($250)

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2017/...elease-update/
Yikes. Easy pass for me at those prices, though I would be curious to see it.
Old 09-22-17, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Standard Edition has sold out.

Remaining Deluxe Editions are located here:

https://www.realclivebarker.com/prod...the-cabal-cut/
Old 09-22-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought it, and felt regret immediately after the order went through. I honestly may flip this one when I get it and I never do that.
Old 09-22-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought it, and felt regret immediately after the order went through. I honestly may flip this one when I get it and I never do that.
Too bad the extras in the Deluxe Edition alone won't recoup the cost of that set. That way you could keep the BD (with Exclusive Slipcover) and sell what you don't want.

I still feel very fortunate that some of my friends were at Son of Monsterpalooza last weekend. I picked up the non-numbered copy of the Standard Edition BD they bought for me last night.
Old 09-22-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The upside is my order shipped a few minutes after I placed it.

From what I am reading on the BR forum:

The regular edition was sold out for most of the public automatically, as a Nightbreed facebook page was temporary closed and those members given the purchase link ahead of time. All that was left was whatever they have of the more expensive limited set.

My guess: Actual fans of the movie who bought the regular edition are not as likely to flip it.
Old 09-22-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The upside is my order shipped a few minutes after I placed it.

From what I am reading on the BR forum:

The regular edition was sold out for most of the public automatically, as a Nightbreed facebook page was temporary closed and those members given the purchase link ahead of time. All that was left was whatever they have of the more expensive limited set.

My guess: Actual fans of the movie who bought the regular edition are not as likely to flip it.
The Occupy Midian Group I believe has over 7,000 members on Facebook. I know it was out of their control, as the deal with Morgan Creek probably wasn't an easy one but 50 copies of the Standard Edition for that many folks was numerically silly.

The Real Clive Barker Store originally gave an early access link to the Occupy Midian Group, it was then shared outside of the group on various forums, so they shut down the link, then opening whatever was left to the public.

A bit ugly of a release but we all saw this coming

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.