Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (BD/UHD; 10/3/17)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-14-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

BURBANK, Calif. (July 14, 2017) — From Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films, it was announced today at D23 Expo, that “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”—the fifth film in the now-iconic “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise—will sail home on Digital in HD and 4K Ultra HD™ on September 19, and on 4K Ultra HD™/Blu-ray™ Combo Pack, DVD and On-Demand on October 3.

Bonus features include*:
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL in HD:

Dead Men Tell More Tales: The Making of a New Adventure – Get unique access into the making of this exciting new “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie with this collection of revealing and entertaining stories that you can view individually or as a “play all.”
- A Return to the Sea – Two talented filmmakers, Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, team up to bring “Pirates of the Caribbean” back to the screen. Hear how this new chapter of the tale was developed.
- Telling Tales: A Sit-down with Brenton & Kaya – Meet Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario, the young actors behind Henry and Carina. The two sit down together for a revealing conversation on becoming a part of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film franchise and its continuing legacy.
- The Matador & The Bull: Secrets of Salazar & The Silent Mary – Oscar-winner Javier Bardem reveals more about his menacing new character and the foreboding ship he helms.
- First Mate Confidential – Go on-set along with Kevin McNally, the affable actor behind the feisty Mr. Gibbs, Captain Jack’s reliable first mate from all five movies.
- Deconstructing the Ghost Sharks – Peer below the depths at how these ferocious, mythical monsters were designed and brought to life.
- Wings Over the Caribbean – Captain Jack has a memorable encounter with Sir Paul McCartney – rock 'n' roll royalty.
- An Enduring Legacy – Take one more look at the “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” experience and the impact of “Pirates of the Caribbean” -- the movies, the ride and beyond.
Bloopers of the Caribbean
Jerry Bruckheimer Photo Diary
Deleted Scenes
- Highwayman
- Henry Turner Learns a Lesson from Captain Jack
- A Whale in Poseidon’s Tomb
- Alternate Coda: Murtogg & Mullroy “Flogging”
SPECIFICATIONS:
Product Offerings: Digital = 4K UHD with HDR (HDR-10 or Dolby Vision), HD, SD
Physical = 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD with HDR-10, Blu-ray, Digital in HD/SD), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray, DVD, Digital in HD/SD), DVD
On Demand – October 3rd – check with your local provider
Feature Run Time: Approximately 129 minutes
Rating: PG-13 in U.S., PG in CE, and G in CF
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
Audio: 4K UHD Blu-ray = English Dolby Atmos, English, Spanish and French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
4K UHD Digital = English Dolby Atmos (platform dependent), English 5.1, English 2.0
Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
DVD = English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Subtitles: Physical = English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Closed Captions: Digital = English; DVD = English
Best Buy (as ever!) has an exclusive steelbook.

Old 07-14-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (BD/UHD; 10/3/17)

The tech specs seem similar to Guardians, so it seems like Dolby Vision really isn't on the UHD and just digital which probably settles the confusion and initial report from Bill Hunt. I guess that's what Disney is going with across the board?
Old 07-14-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

That was my thought as well.
Old 07-14-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html

The better question is did Pirates actually get a Dolby Vision release theatrically? Possibly internationally?

AMC booked Baywatch in Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime as Pirates was taking up all of their IMAX screens. I can't say what happened in regards to the three or four theaters in the country that have the hardware that are not AMC based.

When both Baywatch and Pirates flopped, Wonder Woman took over all Dolby Vision and IMAX screens.
Old 07-14-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The better question is did Pirates actually get a Dolby Vision release theatrically? Possibly internationally?
I'm not sure, but Dead Men Tell No Tales is getting released in Dolby Vision digitally -- just not on disc.
Old 07-14-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm not sure, but Dead Men Tell No Tales is getting released in Dolby Vision digitally -- just not on disc.
I can't wait to purchase all these Disney UHD combo packs to ultimately end up watching the film on Vudu.
Old 07-14-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not that it matters much to me since my Samsung TV doesn't support Dolby Vision, but it does make me wonder what difference there would be between a physical UHD disc running HDR10 versus a digital copy with Dolby Vision, and how significant.

Are there any existing comparisons of already released material?
Old 07-14-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

3D will be released in England under the title "Salazar's Revenge". So used to importing at this point it doesn't even faze me.
Old 07-15-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not that it matters much to me since my Samsung TV doesn't support Dolby Vision, but it does make me wonder what difference there would be between a physical UHD disc running HDR10 versus a digital copy with Dolby Vision, and how significant.

Are there any existing comparisons of already released material?
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=401

In terms of Universal's catalog titles, the general consensus was that the Dolby Vision was the best of the three when compared to the original Blu-ray and the 4K disc. The 4K discs are considered the worst of the three.

The problem is that a lot of these discs are still coming from films where the digital intermediate is 2K.
Old 09-19-17, 03:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
3D will be released in England under the title "Salazar's Revenge". So used to importing at this point it doesn't even faze me.
is this region free by any chance?
Old 09-19-17, 06:27 PM

Probably, I haven't seen a non-region-free Disney disc in a long time. Won't know for sure til my order gets here though.
Old 09-19-17, 06:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I think I can live with regular SteelBook, I hope...
Old 09-20-17, 03:14 AM

I actually ordered the steelbook from Zavvi before realizing there was a 3D edition in a regular cover for a few bucks less. I ordered it at the same time as T2 in 3D which sold out within a few minutes, so didn't want to go back and change the order after that.
Old 09-20-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm waiting for Amazon UK to run the 2 for around $20ish 3D deal in a couple months. Figure I might pick this and Cars 3 up.