Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NIИ - Nine Inch Nails - Discussion Thread [part two]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-02-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first thread discussing the new album was closed due to length.

Some current news from the last thread courtesy of gerrythedon:

NIN, QOTSA To Make Touring Team

Nine Inch Nails have chosen Interscope labelmates Queens Of The Stone Age to open their fall North American arena tour. The itinerary will be announced early next month, according to NIN's official Web site, and will most likely not begin until mid-September. Sources say a third band may join the bill, but that a final decision has not been made.

NIN will wrap its current North American run with Dresden Dolls June 2 in Mexico City. International festival and headlining dates are on tap through August. QOTSA will follow a similar path, completing a North American tour June 4 in Auburn, Wash., and then heading to Europe through late August.

The Trent Reznor-led NIN has returned to the top of the charts thanks to "With Teeth," its first album since 1999. Save for a headlining slot at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, the first batch of North American dates have been held in theaters and large ballrooms and have done big business at the box office.

Although only five shows have been reported to Billboard Boxscore, four were sell-outs, drawing more than 99% of venue capacity.
Reznor Nails MTV, Bails on Gig

The Nine Inch Nails ringleader unexpectedly canceled a long-planned performance at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards ceremony next week, due to a disagreement with the network over the use of a President Bush backdrop.

"Nine Inch Nails will not be performing at the MTV Movie Awards as previously announced," the 40-year-old rocker says in a statement on NIN.com. "We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straight forward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop. Apparently, the image of our President is as offensive to MTV as it is to me. See you on tour this fall when we return to play in America."

In its own statement, the Viacom-owned MTV responded to the abrupt move.

"While we respect Nine Inch Nails' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement," the net says.

"When we discussed our discomfort with the band, their choice was to unfortunately pull out of the Movie Awards."

MTV says the Foo Fighters would sub for NIN at the show, which tapes in Los Angeles June 4 for broadcast June 9.

(Ironically, Foo frontman Dave Grohl is a friend of Reznor's who played drums on several tracks on NIN's recently released With Teeth and actively supported Senator John Kerry's failed presidential bid.)

MTV and Viacom suits may have been spooked by the potential firestorm unleashed by Reznor singing such lyrics as "There's a price to be paid for the blood on which we dine/Justified in the name of the holy and the divine" in front of a super-sized President Bush.
Reznor Awarded $3M In Management Suit

A New York jury awarded Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor $2.95 million after finding his former manager breached his contract and acted fraudulently.

The jury delivered the verdict Friday against John Malm, Reznor's longtime manager, said attorney Zia F. Modabber. The award likely would top $4 million when interest is added.

Modabber said he called Reznor, who is on tour, with the news. "He was almost silent at first. It's still sinking in," Modabber said. "It's been a difficult thing for him in a lot of ways. They were very, very close friends." A lawyer for Malm did not immediately return a call for comment.

The civil verdict came after a three-week trial in which Reznor testified that he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash. "I felt I had an accountant I couldn't trust," Reznor testified.

The artist sued Malm, contending he duped him into signing a contract that gave Malm 20 percent of his gross earnings rather than net earnings, and let Malm collect the commission forever.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that Malm worked many years for no salary -- and kept nothing secret from Reznor.
Old 06-02-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a big fan of them, but I like your backwards 'N'!!!
Old 06-02-05, 06:35 PM

Apparently Autolux will be opening up for them in the fall as well.

I spent Monday and Tuesday nights getting thrashed at the shows in San Diego, and it was fucking awesome. On Monday I was lucky enough to win tickets from 94.9. Both nights I was right up front about 10 feet back from the stage, but Tuesday night was nuts. There was a point where I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stick it out up there because of the heat and me having to fight just to breathe, but in the end I did.

They also played Dead Souls on Tuesday, which as far as I know they hadn't played so far on the tour. During the last song Aaron jumped into the crowd right on top of me which was sweet. It was also cool to see Jerome come out and play drums with the Dresden Dolls for a cover of Karma Police.
Old 06-03-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have a tour schedual, and if does anyone know if this is a club, or ampetheater tour?
Old 06-03-05, 06:38 PM

It'll be an amphitheater tour, and dates should be announced sometime this month from what I've read.
Old 06-04-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a very tricky И.
Old 06-04-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
I'm not a big fan of them, but I like your backwards 'N'!!!
Originally Posted by The Bus
That's a very tricky И.
Perhaps there is not enough new discussion to warrant a second thread.
Old 06-04-05, 03:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i decided to pass on coldplay, and im going to sell my ben folds ticket. now i can afford NIN and foo fighters. yayyyy
Old 06-04-05, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
i decided to pass on coldplay, and im going to sell my ben folds ticket. now i can afford NIN and foo fighters. yayyyy
That was part of my reasoning for me passing on Coldplay as well
Old 06-05-05, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Wow, Dead Souls, that's cool. They didn't play that when I saw them in early May.

This should be a good tour when they roll around in arenas. I'm awaiting this tour, and dates should be coming out soon. Heh, every time I hear the word 'soon', I think of how it described about a year and a half. Trent forced me to look it up in the dictionary a few times to make sure I was still right on the definition.

Hopefully these opening bands are cool, excluding QOTSA. I already know what they are like.
Old 06-09-05, 02:52 AM

I just found these pictures of the band while down in Mexico for their show there.

Old 06-09-05, 03:43 AM

huge fan... haven't listened to this yet just because maybe i fear he changed to much and i don't want to face that.

i still listen to his old stuff on a regular basis... anyone who heard the new stuff is it a change from his old stuff? big time
Old 06-09-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SomeVoices

I just found these pictures of the band while down in Mexico for their show there.

SWEET! Maybe they'll bring Los Lonely Boys out on stage to really rip shit up!
Old 06-09-05, 06:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
anyone who heard the new stuff is it a change from his old stuff? big time
Every album has been significantly different from the one before it. Compare Pretty Hate Machine to Broken, then compare Broken to The Downward Spiral, then compare The Downward Spiral to The Fragile, then compare The Fragile to Still. So yeah, With Teeth is different than the old stuff. There may be a track or two that sound like they could have been on The Fragile, but that's about it.

And it's a great album.
Old 06-09-05, 02:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
anyone have a tour schedual, and if does anyone know if this is a club, or ampetheater tour?
I'm guessing it will be a stadium tour similar to the Spring 2000 Fragility tour. By the time it gets started, ampitheater season will be close to over.
Old 06-14-05, 02:41 AM
Cool New Member

First set of tour dates annonced:
Old 06-14-05, 06:42 PM

hollywood bowl should be awesome. any guesses on much tix will go for?
Old 06-14-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
hollywood bowl should be awesome. any guesses on much tix will go for?
I saw the tour list awhile ago and was wondering why they weren't playing LA. I'm glad to see they added the Bowl. I bet tickets will be in the $60 range for the M,N sections that I like to sit in. The hard part will be actually trying to get tickets when they go on sale. Ticketmaster is going to be swamped and the HB phone lines will be bombarded. What a great place to see them though.
Old 06-15-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
I used to like them. Then I turned 15.
I can't quite understand this. While the lyrics can be a bit simple, the music is generally anything but. The Fragile is, for the most part, fairly complex and intricate.
Old 06-15-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't know if this belongs here or not, but I thought I would ask. This was my first Dual-Disc, so I've never tried to play one in my car before. I have an '04 Jetta, and it wouldn't play the disc. I made sure it was the cd side, and even flipped it and it still didn't work. Is there an issue with Dual-Discs playing in some players, or am I just lucky.

PS, love this album.+
Old 06-15-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by collven
Don't know if this belongs here or not, but I thought I would ask. This was my first Dual-Disc, so I've never tried to play one in my car before. I have an '04 Jetta, and it wouldn't play the disc. I made sure it was the cd side, and even flipped it and it still didn't work. Is there an issue with Dual-Discs playing in some players, or am I just lucky.

PS, love this album.+
none of my dualdiscs work in my wife's '05 Jetta (Monsoon stereo), FWIW..
Old 06-18-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks mods. Bump.

I went out of my way to make sure I got the dualdisc because of the 5.1 mix but with their price rising (ex. Foo Fighters) I'm not sure if they are worth it. Now I find out they won't work on some stereos. I don't see these lasting.

The 5.1 mix is awesome though.
Old 06-19-05, 12:06 PM

just got two pretty bomb seats at the hollywood bowl.section g should be fucking great
Old 06-25-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
And now you can remix "Only"!

Get files here: http://www.nin.com/access/only/
Listen to people's remixes here: http://www.myspace.com/ninremixes
Old 06-26-05, 11:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
has anyone else downloaded the 500 remixes of The Hand That Feeds on www.theninhotline.net?

I started about four days ago, and my torrent file is still only at 91.8%

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.