Reload this Page >

Joan Lee, Wife of Stan Lee, Dies at 93

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-06-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

When Stan was about to quit comics for good, legend says that Joan was the one who convinced him to write at least one story the way he always wanted to. He & Jack Kirby then went and created the Fantastic Four (which kickstarted the entire Marvel Universe).

Stan was absolutely devoted to Joan. Say what you will about Stan, they were really in love. I've been hearing rumors around the comic community (from Stan's handlers) that Stan isn't doing to well to begin with. This will not help with his current condition.

Joan Lee, the wife of Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee, died Thursday in Los Angeles. She was 93.

"I can confirm the sad news that Joan Lee passed away this morning quietly and surrounded by her family," a spokesperson for Stan Lee and his family said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "The family ask that you please give them time to grieve and respect their privacy during this difficult time."

Joan Lee suffered a stroke earlier in the week and was hospitalized, according to sources.
More at the link....

Hollywood Reporter
Old 07-06-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Joan Lee, Wife of Stan Lee, Dies at 93

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
When Stan was about to quit comics for good, legend says that Joan was the one who convinced him to write at least one story the way he always wanted to. He & Jack Kirby then went and created the Fantastic Four (which kickstarted the entire Marvel Universe).

Stan was absolutely devoted to Joan. Say what you will about Stan, they were really in love. I've been hearing rumors around the comic community (from Stan's handlers) that Stan isn't doing to well to begin with. This will not help with his current condition.

More at the link....

Hollywood Reporter
Just saw Stan last month at Awesome Con. At 94 he still has quite a busy schedule, but he's definitely not in the same shape he was when I saw him in 2014. His eye site is starting to go now and he mentioned his hearing wasn't good when I talked with him back then. He definetely gets more tired at cons nowadays.

At Awesome Con they had a special section behind his signature area blocked off with the black curtains and some kind of yard/picnic tent set up. The had an arm chair and some kind of sofa there where he would go back and take naps in between events or when he got too tired. He did walk around the con and to and from the con to the hotel room without the aid of a wheelchair or any other device. But it does seem like he's almost a puppet now, just following the direction of his handlers. his main handler, Max, seems to treat him affectionately like it's his grandfather.
Old 07-06-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in April, Stan did a marathon signing over the course of two days in Brea, CA. Saturday was organized poorly and a lot of people cut in line but Stan toughed it out and signed off and on for over 5 hours (!). He was extremely beat after that.

I went early on Sunday (5am) and there was already a 100 person line. They had cut the line at 50 but I was told if I wanted to wait, and if Stan was up for it, they would try to fit in 150 people total for that day but no promises. I was lucky enough to get in. Stan looked extremely tired. His handler would point at a spot for Stan and that's where he'd sign. I said "Thanks, Stan" but I'm pretty sure he didn't hear me.

Old 07-07-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Man, Stan and Joan were together for 70 years. This is likely going to be a crushing blow to Stan, who - yeah, his health is declining as he is 94 years old.

I have a bad feeling that we may lose Stan in the near future. I hope not, but when one long term spouse dies the other often follows within a year or two.
Old 07-07-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

RIP to Joan. Definitely a sad thing for a person that's been married to their spouse for 70 years to lose that person.

Stan Lee definitely deserves a lot of credit not just for his creation/creative input for so many classic characters but the fact that he's still devoted to the whole con scene at his age. It's really pretty crazy and he could have easily walked away a long time ago. To carry on at 94 is really something.
Old 07-07-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Man, Stan and Joan were together for 70 years. This is likely going to be a crushing blow to Stan, who - yeah, his health is declining as he is 94 years old.

I have a bad feeling that we may lose Stan in the near future. I hope not, but when one long term spouse dies the other often follows within a year or two.
This is also due to the age of the spouse who at 94 only has a few years left regrdless of the death of the spouse. Stan alway wants to keep himself busy and not ever retire. In his autobiography he always talked about how his father was unemployed and could see the despair in his eyes about not working or being needed. I think that is what keeps him going to all these events and when it gets to the point where he can no longer physically attend these type of events will be the day he dies.
Old 07-07-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
When I heard the news I was curious if she had any ties to comics, seeing as her husband was the creator of so much. That is a really cool story that I had not heard before.

As to Stan, I unfortunately have to agree with the sentiment here. I fear that this blow may be too much for him. I've seen him twice at New York Comic Con in the last few years, and last year he was looking drastically weaker and older. He signed for a couple hours multiple times each day if he stuck to what was scheduled. His people had the system down pat. He had several guys with him. One would take the cash and throw it under the table in what I assumed was a large receptacle of some sort. Next guy took your item and got it ready for Stan. Next guy was actually making sure Stan didn't fall out of his chair. Then Stan, then the last guy handed you your item. It was all very assembly line like. Stan looked very hunched over and weak. He was visibly tired and had to use his other hand to lift his signing hand into position. He didn't Look up or say anything until I very loudly said "Thank you, sir." Then he looked up and smiled and said "Your Welcome".
Old 07-08-17, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
When I heard the news I was curious if she had any ties to comics, seeing as her husband was the creator of so much. That is a really cool story that I had not heard before.

As to Stan, I unfortunately have to agree with the sentiment here. I fear that this blow may be too much for him. I've seen him twice at New York Comic Con in the last few years, and last year he was looking drastically weaker and older. He signed for a couple hours multiple times each day if he stuck to what was scheduled. His people had the system down pat. He had several guys with him. One would take the cash and throw it under the table in what I assumed was a large receptacle of some sort. Next guy took your item and got it ready for Stan. Next guy was actually making sure Stan didn't fall out of his chair. Then Stan, then the last guy handed you your item. It was all very assembly line like. Stan looked very hunched over and weak. He was visibly tired and had to use his other hand to lift his signing hand into position. He didn't Look up or say anything until I very loudly said "Thank you, sir." Then he looked up and smiled and said "Your Welcome".
Man, I am so going to miss Stan when he's gone. I've been a HUGE fan of Stan since the mid 70's (probably 1975). I read both the back issues of his 60's comics plus his monthly, "Stan's Soapbox," which was always entertaining. And I LOVE his cameos.

Excelsior!

'Nuff said.
Old 07-08-17, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stan has got to be one of the last golden agers left from that era. I know Allen Bellman is still around and I'll be seeing him at a local convention next week. Cant think of any others right now who are still alive that worked on comics in the WWII timeframe.
Old 07-08-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Man, I am so going to miss Stan when he's gone. I've been a HUGE fan of Stan since the mid 70's (probably 1975). I read both the back issues of his 60's comics plus his monthly, "Stan's Soapbox," which was always entertaining. And I LOVE his cameos.

Excelsior!

'Nuff said.
As a kid of the seventies, It seems like I've ALWAYS been aware of Stan- and his distinctive voice. And yet I can't really pinpoint any reason why. Even when reading his old soapboxes back in the day, I heard them in his voice. How?
Did he narrate some Power Records I wasn't aware of?
John (Dean Faber) Vernon was the primary voice of the 60's Marvel cartoons- so it wasn't from that.
I wasn't a member of FOOM. I know there were little inventory fillers that would have him and the Marvel staff in them- but those were few and far between.
At a young age I saw him as a palpable presence in a far less media intrusive landscape and I can't for the life of me understand why.
Old 07-09-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
At a young age I saw him as a palpable presence in a far less media intrusive landscape and I can't for the life of me understand why.
I was a kid in the sixties and felt the same way. Stan is a great communicator. Whether you were 6 or 60 he could get his message across with the same words. He made you feel you were part of something, like a club. He spoke to you as one 'True Believer' to another. As a kid it felt like he was speaking directly to you personally. It felt like he was your friend.

Forrey Ackerman was the same way. You're just a kid who's crazy about old monster movies and here's some old guy who's just like you.
About age 40 I went to a big horror/sci-fi movie convention. I was in the hotel auditorium watching an audience Q&A with Ray Harryhausen. Somebody sits down in the chair next to me. I look over and it's Forrest J. Ackerman! He was holding some stuff he'd picked up in the dealer's room, as was I. I'm thinking this guy's just like me.
Old 07-10-17, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Stan keeps touring the country for several more years now instead of retiring as he wanted to do at the end of the year. I believe his plan was to stay at home and spend more time with Joan but now it maybe would be more beneficial for him to keep making appearances to keep himself physically and mentally active.
Old 07-11-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I wouldn't be surprised if Stan keeps touring the country for several more years now instead of retiring as he wanted to do at the end of the year. I believe his plan was to stay at home and spend more time with Joan but now it maybe would be more beneficial for him to keep making appearances to keep himself physically and mentally active.
I'm just worried that this loss will crush him. He won't want to go out on the convention circuit without Joan. He's done it all so many times, and it will all just be more, been there done that, and when he ends up in the hotel room all alone it may be too much for him.

I hope I'm wrong. Kirk Douglas is still alive at 100, and I'd love to see Stan hit that mark and be relatively healthy and happy.
Old 07-12-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just worried that this loss will crush him. He won't want to go out on the convention circuit without Joan. He's done it all so many times, and it will all just be more, been there done that, and when he ends up in the hotel room all alone it may be too much for him.

I hope I'm wrong. Kirk Douglas is still alive at 100, and I'd love to see Stan hit that mark and be relatively healthy and happy.
I don't think he ever traveled with his wife on the convention circuit. I recall one time when I did a private signing with him, his wife had called his manager. She had to ask his manager what city they were in that day. I think she got so used to him traveling for business and not being around as much and didn't always keep track of or know where he was at any given time.
Old 07-13-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I can't remember which Marvel documentary it is but there is good color footage of Stan and Joan together in their New York place back in the early 1970s. They weren't living the high life back then, it was very middle class.