Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-15-17, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thhhaaattts all Folks!

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Looks sweet. Not sure if I have all those on BD but maybe it's time to transition to digital anyway.
Old 06-15-17, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
Looks sweet. Not sure if I have all those on BD but maybe it's time to transition to digital anyway.
Be my guest...I prefer owning these in a physical (tangible) format with the book, gorgeous poster art, content and guarantee of access that only packaged media can offer. But I am thankful that many with your mindset are trading in your pristine collections so that I can continue to build my collection and acquire long OOP titles at pennies on the dollar.

So, once again, I as well as many others thank you profusely.
Old 06-15-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, in my case, "transitioning" generally means adding a digital version and holding onto my physical copy. That way I get both guaranteed access and digital convenience. So I'm not throwing any bargains into the marketplace yet.
Old 06-15-17, 11:25 AM
Banned

I don't watch films on small screens and putting a disc in my player is not an inconvenience. I only download Digital / UV copies for access by family and friends. I have over 500 titles via iTunes and VUDU and have never viewed a full movie via either service.
Old 06-15-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I've had the old "7th Voyage" disc forever, but never got around to getting the imports or Twilight Time versions of the other two. However, recently, after buying Arrow's "Harryhausen" tribute BD (I forget the title), I decided to pick up most of Ray's films on Blu-ray. Seeing that that "20 Million Miles to Earth" and his other Sony films were being re-packaged by Mill Creek was a deciding factor on picking up the old ones before they disappeared. I pre-ordered this one as soon as I saw it listed. I've been impressed with Indicator and the fact they're All-Region.
Old 06-15-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I don't watch films on small screens and putting a disc in my player is not an inconvenience. I only download Digital / UV copies for access by family and friends. I have over 500 titles via iTunes and VUDU and have never viewed a full movie via either service.
I have so many physical discs that finding the one I want can be an inconvenience, and I watch my digital selections on my TV using videogame console apps.

Sorry, not trying to crap in your thread. It really does look like a nice set, and I agree that it'll be highly sought after when OOP.
Old 06-15-17, 12:49 PM
Banned

According to the folks at Powerhouse/Indicator, they've also obtained the rights to about eight other Harryhausen titles . That means I'm just going to pass on "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver "via Twilight Time. And if the other releases are as spectacular as this one, I'll have no qualms about double dipping.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-15-17 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I have so many physical discs that finding the one I want can be an inconvenience, and I watch my digital selections on my TV using videogame console apps.

Sorry, not trying to crap in your thread. It really does look like a nice set, and I agree that it'll be highly sought after when OOP.
Well there are plenty of apps available that overcome that type of inconvenience… I have the Collectorz app that allows me to enter titles via my iPhone 7 Plus by scanning the barcode… And also allows me to enter titles manually if need be… And I can quickly and conveniently scan through my entire collection. It's far better than trying to find something on Netflix VUDU, Flixster, Amazon prime or any other service where I would have to pay out money monthly… But to each his own … I don't waste my money on digital downloads. I love collecting and that goes beyond an intangible download...how friggin boring! Give me books, package art and disc art. That's far more likely to get me excited about sitting down and watching a movie... Collecting digitally is like an oxymoron because you're not really collecting anything at all

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-15-17 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 05:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll have to read plenty of reviews about these releases before I even think about double dipping. Twilight Times releases are beautiful in everyway, it'll take a lot to show them up...we'll see.
Old 06-15-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Sold off my sealed TT copy of Golden Voyage a few weeks back in anticipation of this.

Very much looking forward to finally watching GVoS in HD, as well as seeing what improvements there might be for the 4K scan of 7th Voyage.

I've picked up 5 Indicator titles so far (all have previously been TT releases) and frankly they make the TT's look like a second rate effort. Way too expensive (even 'on sale') for the overall presentation compared to the packages Indicator put out.

Wish I could dump most of my Sony/Columbia TT titles, but it looks like the market is hip to what's going on now.
Old 06-15-17, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Sold off my sealed TT copy of Golden Voyage a few weeks back in anticipation of this.

Very much looking forward to finally watching GVoS in HD, as well as seeing what improvements there might be for the 4K scan of 7th Voyage.

I've picked up 5 Indicator titles so far (all have previously been TT releases) and frankly they make the TT's look like a second rate effort. Way too expensive (even 'on sale') for the overall presentation compared to the packages Indicator put out.

Wish I could dump most of my Sony/Columbia TT titles, but it looks like the market is hip to what's going on now.
I'm enjoying collecting the films of my youth and this boxset is so special that parting with the Sony release of "7th Voyage of Sinbad" didn't bother me at all. I don't own "Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger," so this set isn't really a double dip. I suspect Indicator will be releasing the two other Harryhausen films in the Twilight Time catalog: "First Men in the Moon" and "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver." Twilight Time did an incredible job with "First Men in the Moon," so I will likely hold on to that even if Indicator puts out their own version. If Indicator has obtained the rights to "Jason and the Argonauts," I'll just be over the moon with joy. I can only imagine the effort they will employ to produce that set!

I agree that those of us who keep abreast of releases internationally won't be suckered into paying the prices Twilight Time has been able to garner in the past. The recent Arrow Limited Editions I've picked up are just terrific--a collector's dream come true. These boutique studios have far greater respect for these properties than the studios themselves!

Look at those gorgeous inserts... theatrical posters with no gaudy Blu-ray/Digital/DVD banners and no second-rate artist renderings.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-15-17 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought "First Men" from TT when they re-issued it recently and I'll be satisfied with that, I think (though if I knew then...). I didn't buy "Gulliver" because it's a high price for what I consider a "minor" Harryhausen film. However, I'd be all in for a double-dip on "Jason" or any other of the Sony titles if they were significantly improved.
Old 06-16-17, 10:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

any commentary tracks?
Old 06-16-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I had no idea this was coming, probably why I found the old DVDs a thrift store 2 weeks ago. For $3 a piece, they'll hold me over... but damn that Blu box looks amazing.
Old 06-16-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 06-16-17, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

..looks like sinbad
Old 06-17-17, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
any commentary tracks?
I just found this via their Twitter account:

Old 06-17-17, 07:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

i have those super 8 versions..... those were the days when you got the whole movie condensed into 10 minutes, silent with subtitles! how far we have come....
Old 06-17-17, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cinemaman
i have those super 8 versions..... those were the days when you got the whole movie condensed into 10 minutes, silent with subtitles! how far we have come....
Memories… Good ol' Castle Films.... I remember trying to create soundtracks with my cassette recorder… Setting up the projector and screen outside to entertain the neighbors… Happy memories indeed.... i've been collecting movies as long as I can remember!

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-18-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Memories… Good ol" Castle Films.... I remember trying to create soundtracks with my cassette recorder… Setting up the projector and screen outside to entertain the neighbors… Happy memories indeed.... i've been collecting movies as long as I can remember!
Same here.

Long before VHS (or more specifically, Beta) we had a Super 8 pj.

Looking back, it was really only a couple years where my parents would buy me a movie, and I never had more than a half dozen I can remember. All silent B&W 200' . Even Star Wars.

But there was a department store in that era that had a well stocked camera section that included projectors, and behind a glass case a tantalizing array of big, glossy blockbuster 400' color and sound Super 8's.
I used to go over, press my nose against the glass, and drool at the Alien and Superman: The Movie packaging.

IIRC, the price stickers on those were in the $50 range- that is 1980 dollars and for less than 15 minutes of a movie. That's the equivalent of $148 today.
Old 06-20-17, 01:41 PM
Banned

Well they're at it again over at the other forum... using that website Caps-a-holic to tear apart the master used for "Sinbad and the eye of the Tiger." From what I can see the new disc is brighter has more depth and more definition… But there's really no way to know for sure until someone trusted actually does a review There is no way you can judge the image from " selective" still images. We will all know soon enough because the set is shipping in just a few days.
Old 06-20-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they're at it again over at the other forum... using that website Caps-a-holic to tear apart the master used for "Sinbad and the eye of the Tiger." From what I can see the new disc is brighter has more depth and more definition… But there's really no way to know for sure until someone trusted actually does a review There is no way you can judge the image from " selective" still images. We will all know soon enough because the set is shipping in just a few days.
Back in the days of laserdiscs, I used to buy the magazine "Video Watchdog". Smart, smart book and I enjoyed many of their articles. But I had to stop buying it because its examination of film transfers and their flaws just drove me crazy. They'd get in my head and bug me, usually about a movie I'd already bought. I wish I could forget the term "zoom-boxing". I feel pretty much the same way about the other site. I've cancelled several pre-orders and regretted a few purchases after-the-fact based on reading some of the threads there. To a point they're often right, particularly if the manufacturer, -like Shout!, -will fix the offending transfer. Other times I just get sick of hearing that every transfer is essentially wrong in some way.
Old 06-20-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Most transfers are a series of compromises in some way constrained by budgetary considerations.

Few films get the royal treatment, so I don't expect it for anything but a few releases.
Old 06-20-17, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
Back in the days of laserdiscs, I used to buy the magazine "Video Watchdog". Smart, smart book and I enjoyed many of their articles. But I had to stop buying it because its examination of film transfers and their flaws just drove me crazy. They'd get in my head and bug me, usually about a movie I'd already bought. I wish I could forget the term "zoom-boxing". I feel pretty much the same way about the other site. I've cancelled several pre-orders and regretted a few purchases after-the-fact based on reading some of the threads there. To a point they're often right, particularly if the manufacturer, -like Shout!, -will fix the offending transfer. Other times I just get sick of hearing that every transfer is essentially wrong in some way.
Of course I love watching a film in its "best" possible presentation. But as a consumer I must weigh any "perceived" improvements versus the cost. In most cases, I find that the flaws pointed out by these screenshot detectives are either inconsequential or flat out wrong. Recently, the usual suspects were in a feeding frenzy tearing apart the new disc contained in the Arrow box set of "Bird With the Crystal Plumage." But let me tell you, on my 65" display and sound system, that disc looks and sounds amazing. Thankfully, a number of people posted comments pointing out the flaws inherent in the previous Blue Underground disc. I don't know what motivates these morons, but like you, I've learned to tune them out. I suspect some don't like that the "holy grails" in their collections are now worth nothing more than standard dump bin fodder. The "Sinbad Trilogy" is just $50 USD for three region free films on DVD and Blu-ray, "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" presented with a new 4K scan, oodles of extra content, gorgeous packaging and an 80 page book. The two sequels previously released by Twilight Time would have cost you $60 before shipping. I can't believe anyone would foolishly cancel their preorder based on the opinions of these self-appointed experts. Based on their track record so far, I am pretty confident in the quality of what Powerhouse/Indicator has prepared for this release.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-20-17 at 04:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.