Reload this Page >

Crash Bandicot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4 now, maybe others later) 6/30/17

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-29-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r5yAjgP2vnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know there probably isn't a lot to discuss with a remake, but I am way excited for this one. The Crash trilogy were some of my favorite games on the PS1 and I played the hell out of them. I've played the demo in Best Buy and man, do the games look great now. And they play just like before. I have the game pre-ordered, pre-downloaded and waiting to be unlocked in a few hours from now.

It comes out tomorrow on the PS4 but it appears it will hit the Xbox One in December, according to a leak and the PC as well.

Glad to hear it came out so well
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tNpcNUH_hX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's a comparison video to show the update :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aNiIh9CALEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-29-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Crash Bandicot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4 now, maybe others later) 6/30/17

Gonna be getting this. I loved the original games and played them to death. No bring on remasters of Spyro, Tenchu, Fighting Force and Bushido Blade.
Old 06-29-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my local Target put this out early. I saw it when I was there on Tuesday and just assumed it came out that day. I'm hoping our library ordered a couple copies. I can't see myself playing through all of them again, but wouldn't mind checking them out.
Old 06-29-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything I'm reading about this one makes it sound fantastic. I really hope it does come to the X1 come December, I will snag it for sure.
Old 06-29-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Wow. Memories. I played the heck out of the original. One of five-or-so PS1 games I played a lot (before I mostly gave up gaming).
Old 06-30-17, 10:39 AM

Played a little bit this morning. Still tough as hell (at least for me), but it looks GREAT and that makes it a bit easier to play -- you can better judge jumps and enemy movements. It is a SOLID package and well-worth $40 in my opinion. Surprisingly, the gameplay really still holds up well some 20(!) years later -- with the graphical makeover, it really feels more like a new platforming game than a nostalgia exercise.
Old 07-01-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I always disliked the Crash Bandicoot games (mainly because of the poor controls especially compared to other platformers of the time). It's hard to go from playing the super smooth platforming of Mario titles to the herky-jerky movement of Crash where even the most basic platforming is an exercise in frustration.

I picked up this collection to see if I would enjoy it more with some polish and I like it slightly more but it's still a below average platformer (at least the first game). The controls while now analog still don't feel great. At least with a "hard game" you at least feel some sort of accomplishment when passing a level. With Crash it's difficult due to the poor platform detection, the inconsistent enemy hit boxes and the awkward controls. When I finish a level that I've died multiple times on I don't feel accomplishment or that I figured it out. I just feel happiness that I don't have to play that level again.

I might skip around to the included sequels to see if they feel better but I think Crash Bandicoot might just be a series that isn't for me.
Old 07-01-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I might pick this up at a lower price. Now, if Crash Team Racing were revamped, I'd pick that up ASAP.
Old 07-01-17, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I might pick this up at a lower price. Now, if Crash Team Racing were revamped, I'd pick that up ASAP.
There are two trophies for Crash Bandicoot DLC listed :

Crash Bandicoot: Lost Treasures

Owners

G:1 S:1 B:0

2 Trophies • 120 Points

The Crown Jewel
Seek and destroy.
An Ancient Antiquity
Do hard time.

Old 07-03-17, 03:22 PM

Some good points made about the Remake here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OL8JA0iWNgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-03-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I actually never played these games. I did play Crash Team Racing which was a pretty fun Mario Kart knock off.
Old 07-04-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Activision CEO teases more Crash Bandicoot games following success of remake.

In the late 1990s, a very hyper, orange bandicoot took the world by storm with a PlayStation exclusive game developed by Naughty Dog. Of course, we're talking about the legendary Crash Bandicoot! The longtime mascot for PlayStation spawned a handful of sequels that branched out into other genres and he even made his way to other platforms like the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

The character was a big success but he slowly faded into obscurity during the Xbox 360/PS3 generation and for a chunk of the Xbox One/PS4 generation as well. Last week, he finally exploded back onto a scene with a PlayStation 4 exclusive game that features the first 3 Crash games completely remade.

The game has been a major critical success and fans have shown there's still demand for the character and Activision (current rights holder for Crash) have responded to the rabid fans.

Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg spoke about the future of Crash Bandicoot in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz stating that they are talking to a variety of teams and they're experimenting with the character.

"We are experimenting with Crash," he says. "We know there's a vocal fanbase that wanted that to come back. But you never know if that is emblematic of a larger audience or just this niche, nostalgia-based community.

So far, we are seeing some real passion for it, so that could lead to other things.

"Of course, we are always trying to find the next big thing. But our first priority is to make sure we are servicing the communities that we are already lucky enough to have."

Hopefully, this means we'll be getting an all-new Crash game in the coming years but it could also just mean that they're going to remake more Crash games to satisfy our craving.

Only time will tell what Activision is doing with Crash going forward but we can only hope it's nothing but good things!

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy is out now on PlayStation 4 but an Xbox One release is rumored for later this year.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/activis...remake-3455305

I'm also hoping Crash Team Racing gets a makeover and release.
Old 07-05-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I like the graphics, controls and characters in these games, but playing through this Trilogy it's really just kind of a bland platformer.
Old 07-20-17, 03:20 PM

Free DLC level (if purchased by 8/19/17). Previously unreleased, Soul-crushingly hard level that was excised from Crash 1
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F9tOHEzoOkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...._Sane_Trilogy

Previously Unreleased Stormy Ascent Level Out Today for Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy

Taylor Kurosaki, formerly one of the original members of the Crash Bandicoot team at Naughty Dog, joins the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Game Director, Dan Tanguay, from Vicarious Visions to talk about the notorious Stormy Ascent level. The previously unreleased Crash Bandicoot level, Stormy Ascent, is now coming to life in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

How did this level come to be?

Taylor Kurosaki: Early in production of the original Crash Bandicoot game, everyone at Naughty Dog often wore multiple hats. However, by year two we were somewhat specialized and I went from artist to game designer. I ended up designing and laying out ¾ of the levels in the original Crash Bandicoot. And Stormy Ascent was one of mine.

Dan Tanguay: The team here at Vicarious Visions knew the fans really wanted Stormy Ascent, and so did we! One of the best players on the design team had beat the first game and wanted a new challenge. So, we told him to try the original Stormy Ascent. It took him 60 lives to get through it – needless to say it was much more challenging than he had expected. However, he still fell in love with it and we decided to bring it life.

Tell us about making Stormy Ascent
“It’s roughly four times longer than any other level in the original game.”

Taylor: I was new to games and game design back then; I didn’t have a great understanding of a difficulty curve. This level was so close to the end of the game and, you guessed it, it ended up being insanely difficult. As in, so difficult that it was hard for me, and I’m the guy who knew exactly how far Crash could jump, how late a player could take-off, and so on.

Dan: This is the “sister level” to Slippery Climb in the original Crash Bandicoot. It features the same assets but new challenges. It’s also roughly four times longer than any other level in the original game. Getting through it is a feat of both skill and endurance! Taylor’s right, it’s considered to be not only one of the most difficult levels in the original Crash Bandicoot, but probably in the entire N. Sane Trilogy.

It was challenging to first master the level so that we could accurately remaster it. In particular, the timing of the level was challenging to get right. The hazards and platforms steadily increase in speed as you go along!

It never actually shipped, right?

Taylor: Yes. It was one of the last levels I finished during production, and as we prepared to deliver our Gold Master to Sony for manufacturing, the decision was made to cut it. It was playable, but just too damn difficult, and we ran out of time to make it easier. It remained on the disc as it was less risky just leaving it rather than trying to remove it. It was basically hidden, but it was there.
“It was playable, but just too damn difficult.”

Dan: Fans found it though, using Gameshark.

Taylor: I think it’s cool when fans find hidden things in games, this was no exception. I was glad it somewhat found the light of day, and I think it’s an awesome level.

In 2017, games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne are all the rage. People like games that are difficult! We were so ahead of the curve! Now Stormy Ascent is alive as part of the Vicarious Visions-developed Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Go forth and enjoy!

Click here to download Stormy Ascent for the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy for free through August 19, 2017.

Last edited by Decker; 07-20-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 03:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Thanks!

I've been playing through Crash 1. Man, some levels are hard... there's a weird glitch/quirk (which was apparently in the original game, too) in the Hog Wild level (very early in the game) where the timing of one of your jumps has to be far more exact than any previous jump. I must have killed Crash 30 times before I googled it to see if others had the same problem.

So I'm sure I'll HATE Stormy Ascent, but at least it's free!
Old 07-20-17, 03:45 PM

Holy Hell!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TN1o5GXJm7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-26-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ugh. The collision detection and jumping in the first remake is awful. I may have to just skip it and go straight to 2.
Old 08-07-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I've been playing through Crash 1. Man, some levels are hard...
I'm in the same boat. I'm 20 something percent done with the first game but have run into levels I've died 8 to 10 times and had to load up a previous save. Now I'm manually saving after each level in case I need to load it again. I don't remember the game being this difficult when it was first released, but I guess platformers have gotten a little more forgiving as time went on, but not this game

I'll probably move to Crash 2 shortly. I don't see the point torturing myself to finish Crash 1.
Old 08-07-17, 09:30 AM

As mentioned in that clip I posted (before the DLC level clips), the first game had Crash with a slightly different jump than he had in the third game. The remastered version of the first game uses the third game's jump but the first game's levels (obviously). The result is an extra-difficult game. It makes a couple of the levels near-impossible. Wish they could have fixed that somehow.

Crash 2 & 3 are better games anyway. Come back to the first one last.
Old 08-07-17, 10:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I missed that video when you posted, but went back to it just now. Yup... that explains it. It's not just the jump that's different, but the platform hit boxes, too. I mostly agreed with the guy in the middle, but the others made totally fair points. In the end, I think it's best to have the jumping identical through the three games (instead of slightly different for 1, 2, and 3), but they should have tweaked the level design / hit boxes / collision / whatever you want to call it, to ensure it didn't increase the difficulty as much as it did for certain levels only. The thing is... a lot of the levels are fine and/or manageable. That one bit in Hog Wild, though? Fucking hell. The High Road? Damn near impossible at times. I was trying to go through this, getting all gems/boxes, but... I just can't. I could spend a full day on The High Road and still not get all the boxes without dying. It just ain't worth it.

I'm still going to finish Crash 1 before I move on to Crash 2... but no way am I going to be able to 100% it.
Old 05-10-18, 10:33 AM

CRASH BANDICOOT N. SANE TRILOGY COMING EARLIER THAN EXPECTED ON PC, SWITCH AND XBOX ONE
Now coming on June 29.

BY ALEX GILYADOV

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy will be released a few weeks earlier than expected on Switch, PC, and Xbox One.

Activision announced in a recent blog post the collection, originally slated to come out on July 10, will now be released on June 29. You can pre-order the trilogy here.

The N. Sane Trilogy is a remade collection of the first three Crash Bandicoot games and came out for PlayStation 4 on June 30, 2017. The trilogy was confirmed for other platforms back in March. This will be the first time the original Crash, Cortex Strikes Back, and Warped will appear off PlayStation systems.
Old 06-22-20, 09:05 PM

No need for a new thread, but there's a brand new Crash Bandicoot game on the horizon.

Crash Bandicoot 4 : It's About Time

It's coming to the PS4 and the Xbox One for $59.99. No word on next-gen systems yet.
Old 06-22-20, 09:08 PM

Old 06-22-20, 10:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

that's cool. i wish Ratchet and Clank would cross over. i played that when i had a PS2 or something for like a minute way back when and really enyoyed it...
Old 06-22-20, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that's cool. i wish Ratchet and Clank would cross over. i played that when i had a PS2 or something for like a minute way back when and really enyoyed it...
You know there's a Ratchet and Clank game for PS4 Right? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ga...and-clank-ps4/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.