Reload this Page >

Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection TV show re-release - many titles

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-30-17, 03:19 PM
I am not grundle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone here has bought the new Jonny Quest release, is it still censored the like the 2004 release, or did they fix it?

Most of these were originally 4 disc sets but are now 3 discs for the new releases, so I'm guessing the extras have been reduced or eliminated.

Also, most of these have stacked discs, which most people, including me, don't like. Amazon has proper cases available through third partys sellers.

I can't post links because I have fewer than 30 posts, so you'll have to fix the link if you want to read the entire article.

www dot animationmagazine dot net /home-entertainment/wbhe-toasts-hanna-barberas-60th-with-diamond-collection/

WBHE Toasts Hanna-Barbera’s 60th with Diamond Collection

June 27th 2017

Titles already available on DVD (SRP $19.98 each except where noted) are:

The Flintstones: The Complete First Season,

The Jetsons: The Complete First Season,

Scooby-Doo Where Are You?: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons ($24.98);

Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines: The Complete Series;

Hong Kong Phooey: The Complete Series;

The Huckleberry Hound Show: Season 1 Volume 1;

Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season;

Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series;

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Complete Series;

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?: The Complete Third Season ($24.98);

The Best of The New Scooby-Doo Movies ($24.98);

Top Cat: The Complete Series;

Wacky Races: The Complete Series;

The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series;

Josie And The Pussycats: The Complete Series;

The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show: The Complete Series;

and The Smurfs: The First Season.
Old 06-30-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection TV show re-release - many titles

That is just horrible packaging by the WB...putting three discs on top of one another?! Why not just have a three disc case to insert the discs properly? Just shameful!
Old 07-01-17, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only original set I ever bought was Scooby Doo 1+2, and per the packaging in the video, WB has removed all the meager extras and put 8 or 9 episodes on each disk vs. the previous max of 7. The disk artwork is also 1-color vs. the original full color. While I don't have a strong preference of keep case vs. digkpaks, the latter does wear harder for the average person, so maybe that's a good thing...stacker cases aside. I also give WB some credit for keeping these titles in print, and without resorting to DVD-R's. IMHO, though, these set are more cubic zirconium than diamond.

It's a shame because I recently bought their re-released Wonder Woman S1 set, on which they did a nice job. This time it's 3 dual layer disks, two on a swing arm, with the old extras and a 4-page episode guide insert.

I expect the cartoon content to be the same, but am also curious about Jonny Quest. From memory, I can think of just one politically correct edit in the original set. Were there more?
Old 07-01-17, 04:55 AM
I am not grundle

Originally Posted by thetao
The only original set I ever bought was Scooby Doo 1+2, and per the packaging in the video, WB has removed all the meager extras and put 8 or 9 episodes on each disk vs. the previous max of 7. The disk artwork is also 1-color vs. the original full color. While I don't have a strong preference of keep case vs. digkpaks, the latter does wear harder for the average person, so maybe that's a good thing...stacker cases aside. I also give WB some credit for keeping these titles in print, and without resorting to DVD-R's. IMHO, though, these set are more cubic zirconium than diamond.

It's a shame because I recently bought their re-released Wonder Woman S1 set, on which they did a nice job. This time it's 3 dual layer disks, two on a swing arm, with the old extras and a 4-page episode guide insert.

I expect the cartoon content to be the same, but am also curious about Jonny Quest. From memory, I can think of just one politically correct edit in the original set. Were there more?

That's fantastic news about the Wonder Woman re-release.

Two episodes of Jonny Quest are censored on the 2004 DVD release. This website has the original, unedited audio that you can listen to.

You'll have to fix the link because I can't post links because I have fewer than 30 posts.

www dot classicjq dot com/artifacts/videos/dvd/DVDDeficienciesAudio.aspx

Pursuit of the Po-Ho

In this episode, Race swims up to the Po-Ho village and delivers a warning to the Indians that includes the insults, "ignorant savages" and "heathen monkeys." Those phrases have been deleted from the DVD's English and Spanish audio tracks, but not from the subtitles.

Monster in the Monastery

In this episode, the leader of the Yeti-disguised bad guys shoots at Jonny from a stone staircase. Jonny fires arrows to burst oil bags above him, causing the leader to fall down the steps and plummet off the mountain to his death. The DVD is missing Jonny's joke as the man rolls toward him, "Uh-oh. Here comes the Oriental Express." The line has also been taken out of the subtitles.
Old 07-01-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

I detest that kind of editing. I don't go for censorship at all, especially on older product, made in times where such "un PC" comments or scenes were not an issue, being altered to suit "modern" sensibilities. If it "has" to be done then also provide the original as an alternate track, or branching video, for those of us who want things unaltered.

If the re-release puts it all back I'll pick it up again - but I don't hold out any hope of that happening.
Old 07-01-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon shows that release to have 5 discs. I'm confused...
Old 07-01-17, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Amazon shows that release to have 5 discs. I'm confused...
The newer re-release has 3.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-...woman+season+1
Old 07-01-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Odd that they'd make is a separate listing considering almost everything else gets combined - even differing titles which are part of a set.

I don't get why they'd take a 5 disc set down to 3 unless all the "bonus" items were removed. Even then I'd think there could be compression issues due to a necessary increase in the number of episodes per disc.
Old 07-01-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

A minor thing but I hate the way studios print disc art now days. Looks so cheap to have just the one color screen print which is usually just the name of the movie or show and the copyright information and whatnot. I much prefer the full art discs. Kind of tempted to get the three seasons of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! Maybe I'll just track down the original releases though. I think Walmart still stocks the season one and two set.
Old 07-01-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Got the Jetsons set since I missed the first issue, I guarantee that I hate stacked single-sided discs more than the biggest hater out there of 2-sided discs! At least it includes a printed insert listing which episodes are on which discs, haven't checked out the quality yet. Wondering if they'll be putting out any previously-unreleased shows, Banana Splits was high on my want list but I broke down and bought the UK import a while ago.
Old 07-01-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Odd that they'd make is a separate listing considering almost everything else gets combined - even differing titles which are part of a set.

I don't get why they'd take a 5 disc set down to 3 unless all the "bonus" items were removed. Even then I'd think there could be compression issues due to a necessary increase in the number of episodes per disc.
Weird.. and though your point's the same, wasn't it five sides not "discs"..?
Old 07-01-17, 02:44 PM

The first WW season was just half length (14 episodes). WB moved from 5 single layer disks (2 DVD10's + 1 DVD5, then later 5 DVD5's) to three double layer disks, which theoretically increases the storage capacity. They even moved an episode from the original, cramped disk 2 to the expanded disk 3. I'd have to dig to know for certain if the bit rates are higher, but for 2017 I think it's a classy job. (No eco/eco lite case either.)
Old 07-01-17, 03:23 PM

I'm glad I got a lot of these original releases for like $3 each back when Big Lots had them years back.
Old 07-01-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
Weird.. and though your point's the same, wasn't it five sides not "discs"..?
There's one listing for a 2015 release which shows 5 discs. Very odd...
...WB moved from 5 single layer disks ... to three double layer disks...
Of course... I read that above and just zoned out... forgot...
Old 07-02-17, 08:17 PM
I am not grundle

Originally Posted by Lyle Sturgess
Also, most of these have stacked discs, which most people, including me, don't like. Amazon has proper cases available through third party sellers.

But customer reviews say that you won't necessarily get the cases that you order:

Item B002ROAZD4

SquareDealOnline - DV3R14BKWT - 3 Disc Standard Size DVD Cases - Black - (10 Cases)

1 star

Crapshoot - GREAT or TERRIBLE

ByJ. Spearon June 19, 2014

Verified Purchase

I've ordered two sets of these (20 at a time) two times for a total of 40 cases. The first time I ordered, from YoKool, I got the cases pictured. There is one disc slot on the back, and then a double sided plastic divider that holds two more. I really liked them and they looked great so I ordered two more bundles and Amazon chose CheckOutStore for me I guess, probably because they had prime. Well, they arrived and there is a drastic quality difference. The new ones I received HAVE NO DIVIDER. There is just a slot on the front for one, and the back for two. I hate this design, that is why I specifically ordered these. On top of that, the outside plastic that holds the cover on is extremely thin. It audibly and visibly wrinkles if you touch it, and it just screams cheap knock off. I didn't bother returning them because of the hassle, and it was only $16 for 20 of them, but just a warning, you may not get the cases you want if you order from Checkoutstore. I'm very disappointed! Since I can't guarantee you'll get the good ones, I can't give this product the 5 star review I was going to.

EDIT - An Amazon user commented on this and let me know that YoKool also is selling the junk ones so it is a COMPLETE roll of the dice on what cases you'll be getting. Honestly, I'd stay away from these all together because the crappy ones are literally the worst aftermarket cases I've seen and it just isn't worth the hassle of trying to get the good ones. I subtracted a star and now this is a 1 star product.

1 star

Not the same as picture and broken

ByJason C Collinson April 6, 2014

Verified Purchase

First off, only 9 of the 10 were in the package. The plastic wrapping was ripped, a single case was missing and on every single case the corners are chipped or broken off completely. I'm going to attribute this to an employee being under paid, over worked and possible having a bad day.

However, the picture shown has a double disc leaf and a place on the back of the front cover for inserting a leaflet/booklet. This is what I needed for a final project, 3 disc rings and a place to put a printed summary on the inside.

What I got was, NOT the double disc rings on a leaf, but on the inside of the front cover and no place to put a booklet.

Did I get the wrong product and damaged items due to a warehouse error? Who knows. I'm returning for the damage alone!

Roll the dice on this one.
Old 07-02-17, 08:22 PM
I am not grundle

There's one listing for a 2015 release which shows 5 discs. Very odd...

Of course... I read that above and just zoned out... forgot...

Amazon also says the new release for "Scooby Doo Where Are You seasons 1 and 2" has four discs, even though the above video clearly shows that it has three:

amazon dot com/Scooby-Doo-Where-Are-You-Seasons/dp/B06Y3H36NT/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb_twi_dvd_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1499044735&sr=1-1&keywords=scooby+doo+where+are+you

In both of these cases, I'll take the word of someone who actually bought it, over the amazon description.

Last edited by Lyle Sturgess; 07-02-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 03:42 AM

But customer reviews say that you won't necessarily get the cases that you order:
I'm sure Amazon/EBay case dealers are as variable as any other sellers. Some know their stuff and others wouldn't know an Amaray from a manta ray. And others try selling no-name Chinese brands like they're Tiffany. You might want to buy from more respectable names:

http://www.casetopia.com
https://www.usplastic.com
http://www.sleevecityusa.com
https://www.bagsunlimited.com

I'm OCD enough to think twice before replacing WB's stackers with anything less than this: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=63006 . Real Amaray and professional. This is also what WB used for my Wonder Woman set. Correction: it's a Viva case.

Back to the Hanna-Barbera Diamond sets, what happened to Space Ghost?? A quick online check of a few titles shows it to be only series from the first batch totally unavailable at a sane price. If WB does re-release it, hopefully they don't omit the Alex Toth documentary.

Last edited by thetao; 07-03-17 at 08:54 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-03-17, 03:08 PM
I am not grundle

I'm sure Amazon/EBay case dealers are as variable as any other sellers. Some know their stuff and others wouldn't know an Amaray from a manta ray. And others try selling no-name Chinese brands like they're Tiffany. You might want to buy from more respectable names:

I'm OCD enough to think twice before replacing WB's stackers with anything less than this: Real Amaray and professional. This is also what WB used for my Wonder Woman set.

Back to the Hanna-Barbera Diamond sets, what happened to Space Ghost?? A quick online check of a few titles shows it to be only series from the first batch totally unavailable at a sane price. If WB does re-release it, hopefully they don't omit the Alex Toth documentary.

Wow - thanks for those links!

Space Ghost had two overlapping, double sided discs, in a cardboard case, that was hard to pull out of the cardboard sleeve. It would be nice to have it on three single sided discs, with the Wonder Woman style case.

I myself would like to be able to get the 13 Godzilla episodes that were not released when Classic Media released the first 13 episodes.
Old 07-03-17, 10:36 PM

Space Ghost had two overlapping, double sided discs, in a cardboard case, that was hard to pull out of the cardboard sleeve. It would be nice to have it on three single sided discs, with the Wonder Woman style case.
I'm actually aiming a little higher and hoping its exclusion from the Diamond series means it's going straight to Blu-ray. Would love to confound the Amazon/EBay bloodsuckers.
Old 07-04-17, 07:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Fwiw, I saw all of these at Costco yesterday for $12.99 each.
Old 07-06-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I was going to grab the Scooby-Doo sets but they were $20 at Target which seems high.
Old 07-07-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I got those for $6 each at Big Lots, with the better packaging too!
Old 07-08-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm actually aiming a little higher and hoping its exclusion from the Diamond series means it's going straight to Blu-ray. Would love to confound the Amazon/EBay bloodsuckers.
Space Ghost, and the other high dollar OOP Birdman, will most likely end up as Warner Archive dvd-r if ever re-released.
Old 07-30-17, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...posts/4507073/

The next batch of re-releases has been announced. According to Video ETA, the following will be released on October 3:

The Flintstones S2-6
Richie Rich Scooby- Doo Show Vol. 1
The Scooby-Doo Dynomutt Hour: Complete Series
Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volumes 2 & 3
Old 07-30-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Is there any more useless contribution to a conversation than people saying they got the same titles at Big Lots in a one-time illegal sell-off many years ago?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.