Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How many Blu-Ray double dips do you have?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-02-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Looking up double dip with the search function was a hoot. So many threads from a decade ago with people saying they weren't gonna double dip on many movies that came out on Blu that they already have on dvd. I wonder how many stuck to that.

Anyhow. I couldn't find an appropriate thread that already exists, so, what blu rays do you own multiple times, and if its too many to list them all, just venture a guess as to how many.

I don't have very many because double dipping annoys me, but for some I couldn't help myself.

I own:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2- Shout /Arrow LE
Phenomena- Synapse Steelbook/Arrow LE
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia- Twilight Time/Arrow
Videodrome-Criterion/Arrow LE
Mad Max- Shout/box set

I double dipped on Fat City but sold my Twilight Time and might do the same for Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.

I own the 40th Anniv Exorcist blu as well as the Part 3 Shout Blu. I only own the entire series on dvd, but will probably upgrade to Blu soon, so that'll be another DD.

I've double dipped on other stuff too, but if one blu ray is clearly inferior I usually ditch it. I've double dipped on steelbooks a bunch of times as well, but always sell the other one.

Anyways, have at it.
Old 06-02-17, 08:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: How many Blu-Ray double dips do you have?

Too many. I don't wanna talk about it.
Old 06-02-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the run of Blu-ray, I've probably replaced a good 30 first-release discs with subsequent versions.
Old 06-02-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not too many. I was fooled many times during the height of the DVD era when it seemed like every "regular" edition I owned was being replaced by a special edition later in the Market. Most of the Blu-rays that I double dipped on were early releases and I never spent more than $10 for the new editions. I've been more patient since I've gotten older.
Old 06-02-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Enter the Dragon is the only title I double dipped on BD. I don't double dip at all; unlike when I was buying DVDs. However, I do replace DVD version of movies I really like with BDs and if the price is cheap.
Old 06-02-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Only BD double dips I have is when I have a movie and then buy a double feature or set that has the movie to get the other movie(s).
Old 06-02-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think only two so far, and both just happened last week. I got Heat for $6 and King Kong for $7. Both came with $8 in movie cash for The Mummy and I can easily sell the other versions. In fact, I'll probably get more than $7 for my old version of King Kong because it has the slip cover
Old 06-02-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I've double-dipped on a few titles but they were generally less than $5 a title.

In most cases it was because the original transfer was pretty bad.

The Terminator
Total Recall
Wall Street
Gangs of New York
Robocop
Old 06-02-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Double dips...yeah I'm in the same boat...you don't want to know the answer to that question.

Even triple dips, I'm not sure I want to talk about since 4k now exists and I've been getting odds and ends when it comes to steelbooks. And btw, I'm not counting VHS or Digital as part of that equation or else I might start crying.

As far as quads and quints...those should be few enough where I feel comfortable talking about it.

Fifth Element (Regular DVD, Superbit DVD, Regular Blu-Ray, Regular Blu-Ray w/corrected audio, 4k Remaster)
The Thing (Regular DVD, Collector's DVD, Regular Blu-Ray, Shout Factory CE Blu-Ray)
Escape From New York (Regular DVD, 2-Disc SE DVD, MGM Blu-Ray, Shout Factory Blu, Shout Factory Steelbook on pre-order)
Underworld (Regular DVD, Regular Blu-Ray, BestBuy Steelbook Blu-Ray, 4k UHD)

But those four are all in my top 10 movies of all time. I think if I really analyzed it all of the movies in my top 10 have been at least double dips, if not triple and beyond.
Old 06-02-17, 09:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
ditto.
Old 06-02-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really consider any movement between formats a "double-dip", only who you buy the same movie twice on the same format.
Old 06-02-17, 10:39 AM
Banned

I part with the previous version if a superior version is released. It makes no sense to keep multiple versions of the same movie unless there are supplements you value not carried over to a subsequent release. I simply use the trade-in to buy a new title. But sometimes I double dip when I want both the steelbook and a 3D release. I have less than a dozen or so "double dips." Just off the top of my head, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" steelbook and 3D box set, "The Town" Ultimate Collectors Edition and steelbook, "An American Werewolf in London" steelbook and Resored Version, "The Fifth Element" steelbook and Restored Version, "Mad Max: Fury Road" steelbook, 3D and "Mad Max: Fury Road" Black Chrome steelbook. I could probably part with the Best Buy "Mad Max: Fury Road" steelbook but I just can't bring myself to do it. So, that flick is actually a triple dip! Ridiculous? Well, yeah.
Old 06-02-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 388 Blus. I started to count but on the very first page of 50 titles about 20 were double dips. I know there are some I own on HD DVD and BR. There are also a few triple dips like Smokey And The Bandit. I'm on #3 right now but I need to pick up the 40th Anniversary edition because that has the original soundtrack not the revisionist soundtrack on the previous releases.

I will extrapolate and say about a third are going to be double dips.
Old 06-02-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I don't really consider any movement between formats a "double-dip", only who you buy the same movie twice on the same format.
Same.

I haven't double dipped on any Blu-rays.
Old 06-02-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Blue ray double dips? Very few. DVD double dips is a completely different story. Until I realized that I hardly ever watched extras, and really didn't care about them anymore, I would double dip pretty frequently.
Old 06-02-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I've never had a problem double-dipping on a beloved movie. I do resent the constant double-dips studios push with middling and mediocre films.

I don't plan on double-dipping with UHD at all.
Old 06-02-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Other than the remaster of The Fifth Element I can't think of any. I have sold off singles of franchises and bought collections or complete series sets.
Old 06-02-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

During the heady DVD days, I would try to purchase any new edition with more extra features. Glad I got over that habit!

I've upgraded many DVD titles to Blu-ray, but I've been much stricter about buying the same title more than once on Blu-ray. It has happened, but there typically needs to be a very compelling reason, like a new cut or a restoration. I know for sure I've purchased some titles more than once to get a 3D version or to get other films in a particular series or franchise. I can't think of any offhand I bought because of new extras. Dr. Strangelove is one of my all-time favorites, but I've resisted buying the Criterion disc since I already own the previous release (same for Fantastic Mr. Fox).
Old 06-02-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I have a lot then. But I don't double dip for extras or packaging. I only double dipped for a higher quality presentation. Some I picked up during the Blockbuster 5/20 sale just because.
Old 06-02-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I guess I have a lot then. But I don't double dip for extras or packaging. I only double dipped for a higher quality presentation.
Same here.

I can name about twenty titles off the top of my head that I've double dipped on, and probably another dozen or more if I really looked into it.
Unfortunately there are probably another good 50 or so still in my collection that could easily be improved and probably will be someday such as a lot of early Universal titles.
Old 06-02-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Same here.

I can name about twenty titles off the top of my head that I've double dipped on, and probably another dozen or more if I really looked into it.
Unfortunately there are probably another good 50 or so still in my collection that could easily be improved and probably will be someday such as a lot of early Universal titles.
As an early adopter, I got in In December of 98, there were a ton of crappy quality titles released. Non-anamorphic, crap sound, etc. Anytime some better releases came out I did upgrade. Also even recently if there is a nice set I'll get rid of separate releases to get the set to save space on the shelf.
Old 06-03-17, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did a quick check, not as horrible as I thought:

- 36th Chamber of Shaolin trilogy [EuroVideo German "Best of Shaw Bros." box set - Paramount Japan box set]
- Bram Stoker's Dracula [original Blu - 2015 remaster]
- Fargo [original Blu - 2014 remaster]
- Fright Night [German Blu - Eureka edition]
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly [Mondo Italian edition - 2014 MGM reissue...will likely triple dip with the upcoming Kino edition]
- Halloween [original Blu - 35th Anniversary Edition]
- Lone Wolf and Cub collection [AnimEigo box - Criterion box]
- Manhunter [Optimum UK edition - Scream! Factory edition]
- Mulholland Drive [StudioCanal edition - Criterion edition]
- Raging Bull [original Blu - 30th Anniversary Edition]
- Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky [US Tokyo Shock edition - UK Mediumrare edition]
- Rumble Fish [Eureka/Masters of Cinema edition - Criterion edition]
- Super Inframan (Infra-Man) [Paramount Japan edition - Germany FilmArt edition]
- The Thing [UK Blu - Scream! Factory reissue...maybe another triple dip with Arrow?]
- Time Bandits [Optimum UK edition - Criterion edition]
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me [part of Universal's UK David Lynch box set - part of Twin Peaks: The Complete Mystery box]

There's also some other Blu-ray double dips I've gone in on that I will not mention since they can be considered grey market and I don't want to break site rules; will say they're all Hong Kong movies and leave it at that.
Old 06-03-17, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
As an early adopter, I got in In December of 98, there were a ton of crappy quality titles released. Non-anamorphic, crap sound, etc. Anytime some better releases came out I did upgrade. Also even recently if there is a nice set I'll get rid of separate releases to get the set to save space on the shelf.
I thought we were talking about just double dipping within the Bd format.

Hell, if it becomes a question of double dips from DVD to Bd, I'm sure more than half my Bd collection would qualify, and that's about 1400 titles.

Bd to Bd I've done more than 40 times, but the thirty some odd count I mentioned before are titles where I still have the earlier copy.
There is probably another 30 or so that I've upgraded and fully replaced (earlier version sold or given away).
Old 06-03-17, 06:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm always impressed by those of you that are so organized you can make lists like the above. My collection is so large and in such disarray that a definite answer to questions like this will never be possible.
Old 06-03-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I thought we were talking about just double dipping within the Bd format.

Hell, if it becomes a question of double dips from DVD to Bd, I'm sure more than half my Bd collection would qualify, and that's about 1400 titles.

Bd to Bd I've done more than 40 times, but the thirty some odd count I mentioned before are titles where I still have the earlier copy.
There is probably another 30 or so that I've upgraded and fully replaced (earlier version sold or given away).
I may have jumped the gun. BR - BR is very few. Other than the aforementioned sets instead of individual releases I can think of Firefly where one of the discs went missing. But since I don't upgrade for extras, in the rare case the original BR release was bad I may have upgraded one or two.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.