Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-05-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...s%7CLatestNews

All three movie combined made a lot of money (about 1 billion).
Its not like it bombed in the box office. Why the reboot?

I enjoyed the first Mummy movie and Jerry Goldsmith's score.

It will be interesting to see what better idea they come up with.
Old 04-05-12, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Maybe it'll be a literal remake of original?
Old 04-05-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

The first Mummy movie really grew on me on repeat viewings as cheesy fun. They started to really go downhill after that. That Dragon Emperor, or whatever it was called, was so bad I don't even want to think about it.

I never saw any of the spinoff Scorpion King movies. I honestly don't even know if they involved mummies or not.

A reboot seems silly but if they actually put an effort into the script and making it different from the Stephen Summers movies I'd be on board.
Old 04-05-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Same here. Watching The Mummy a few times I thought it was ok. Special effects were nice. But I really couldn't get into Brenden Fraser.

The rest I don't care about.

If they remake them they should go for darker and without comedy.
Old 04-05-12, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
Its not like it bombed in the box office. Why the reboot?
Because they know it's a cash-cow and think they can start cashing in all over from the beginning. Look at Spider-Man.

I really like the first installment in the series. The Mummy Returns was pretty bad and haven't seen The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I'd see a reboot though, most likely.
Old 04-05-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

"I see it as the sort of opportunity I had with 'Prometheus': to go back to a franchise's roots in dark, scary source material and simultaneously open it up to an epic scale we haven't seen before," Spaihts said.
Maybe Universal's got a new thing for R-rated horror remakes/reboots (i.e,The Wolf Man) I'm all for it....Especially since Stephen Somers thought that The Mummy,Dracula,Frankenstein and The Wolf Man meant "Action-Adventure movie" instead of "Horror movie".
Old 04-05-12, 10:39 PM
Banned

I love the Wolf Man remake. Great production design. Really dug the extended cut.
Old 04-05-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I love the 3rd Mummy movie. I thought it was really underrated - way better than the 2nd one.
Old 04-05-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the first one has the perfect balance of silly B-movie fun & adventure.

The 2nd movie upped the action, but it sort of lost the adventure thrill to it. But the numerous nods to the first movie are a wonderful touch.

The 3rd felt like it tried to recapture the magic, but ehhh, I don't like it too much. The Yeti's were pretty cool.
Old 04-06-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Never saw the third film, but after reading that the Sasquatches make the football touchdown gesture, I'm glad I didn't, you know, because these monsters watch football and such.

/facepalm
Old 04-06-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked the first film, disliked the second, loathed the third.

I'd like to see them do a remake a la The Wolfman, albeit with less troubles. A rich, sumptuous gothic palette would be ideal. Ditch all the wannabe Indiana Jones crap and make it HORROR.
Old 04-06-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought we'd get that Creature From the Black Lagoon remake way before hearing any announcement of a Mummy reboot.
Old 04-06-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Breck Eisner still attached to that? After what he did for The Crazies (a rare film that blows the original away), I'm curious how he'd handle Creature.
Old 04-06-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Never saw the third film, but after reading that the Sasquatches make the football touchdown gesture, I'm glad I didn't, you know, because these monsters watch football and such.

/facepalm
Did you hate the killer pygmy doing the "Dr. Strangelove" in the 2nd movie?
Old 04-06-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I will reserve judgment because I assume they are going to go a "new" route and try to return to its horror roots ... that said, what is a mummy other than a zombie? I don't think this will pan out. (So much for reserving judgment.) I would much rather see a Creature from the Black Lagoon remake.

I really like the first The Mummy ... it was a great blend of action-adventure with the right amount of comedy thrown in. It was the first movie in a long time that left me feeling the way a (good) Indiana Jones movie did.
Old 11-01-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty excited about the prospects of a new Mummy film. That excitement has just dropped substantially as I found out that Super Hack Len Wiseman has been hired to direct.

Len Wiseman to Direct THE MUMMY Reboot for a Possible 2014 Release
Old 11-01-12, 08:00 PM
Banned

...ugh. Honestly..after watching The Mummy on BD. That's probably the hardest one to remake faithfully. It's whole set up is very different from what someone would expect. It doesn't convert well to today's standards for monster movies.
Old 11-01-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking shit... Wiseman? Just hire Sommers again. There go any hopes of this being worth watching.
Old 11-01-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess we should be waiting to hear Kate has been hired in the lead role?
Old 12-14-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Small update from Collider:

Earlier this year, we learned that Universal was rebooting The Mummy franchise with Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) to write the screenplay, and Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman on board to produce. In September, director Len Wiseman (Total Recall) joined the project, and now he has provided some brief details on how his movie will differ from the recent Brendan Fraser flicks. The character originally found popularity on the screen in 1932 when it was played by the legendary Boris Karloff.

Hit the jump for more. The Mummy reboot is set for a possible 2014 release.

Speaking to Movieweb, Wiseman provided a brief description of what the new version of The Mummy would be:

“It’s horror. Its epic. It’s more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating.”

Oh no! The Mummy is using the Internet! Kill it! KILL IT WITH TECHNOLOGY!

I am curious to see how the Mummy functions in the modern day since it’s not like a vampire or a zombie. Both of those creatures can function in the present since they have a viral aspect that allows them to propagate their species. Mummification is fairly complicated process.

Wiseman didn’t definitively say that The Mummy will be his next movie, noting, “if The Mummy is to be the next movie for me, is that The Mummy is a completely different film. It is a modern day take. It doesn’t have anything to do with the Brendan Fraser films, and it is not a remake of any kind.”
Old 12-15-12, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I somewhat applaud a more "modern" approach to this movie.

Plus: For the possibility of having a bad guy that moves faster than a snails pace. I've seen some of the older Mummy movies, people are cowering or tripping on stuff so he can actually catch them. There is nothing scary about a guy you can outrun just by *walking*.

Minus: Maybe I have too much of a soft spot for the 1999 movie, but a Mummy movie set in the 21st century era doesn't strike me as working.
Old 12-15-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE

Plus: For the possibility of having a bad guy that moves faster than a snails pace. I've seen some of the older Mummy movies, people are cowering or tripping on stuff so he can actually catch them. There is nothing scary about a guy you can outrun just by *walking*.
The scary thing about the slow mummy is he's relentless. It doesn't matter that you can walk faster than him. He is after you and is never going to stop until he gets you. There is nowhere to run he won't find you.
Old 12-16-12, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Terminator is the exact same way, but I find that far more scarier.

I think the difference is that the Terminator(s) are supposed to blend in. They are something that you either do or don't know is coming, but you won't know who it is until its right there. I think that unknown aspect makes it more far more terrifying than knowing your opponent is some dusty dude in bandages.
Old 12-16-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

It did get me thinking that if they're gonna do a "Prometheus" version of The Mummy, then we'll probably see something that will relate to this Mummy:

Instead of this one:
Old 12-16-12, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
The scary thing about the slow mummy is he's relentless. It doesn't matter that you can walk faster than him. He is after you and is never going to stop until he gets you. There is nowhere to run he won't find you.
It's amazing the lengths people will go to suspend their disbelief. I'm with UAIOE on this one. Those movies were never scary.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.