Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 10:16 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="600" height="338" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OGzVYyV_Jsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Netflix is reviving Jim Henson’s 1982 film The Dark Crystal by way of a 10-episode prequel series.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will take place many years before the events of the film. “When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world,” reads the official logline.

Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, The Incredible Hulk) will executive produce the series and direct.

“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix. “I can’t wait for families around the world to see how we bring these unique characters to life.”

“Louis Leterrier is passionate about the world of The Dark Crystal and has an incredible creative vision for the series. He brings this passion to every facet of the production as he leads the talented team of artists and writers that are bringing this entire universe to life,” said Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company. “Netflix has a deep respect for my father’s original work and the many people it inspired. They are the perfect partners to create this next epic chapter in The Dark Crystal story for new fans and the loyal fans who have waited so long for more adventures from this world.”
http://tvline.com/2017/05/18/the-dar...ix-jim-henson/
Old 05-18-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Muppets?

We actually just re-watched this a few weeks ago, I hadn't seen it over 30 years, but the imagery had stuck with me all this time. My son wasn't terribly impressed, but he didn't totally hate it either. He called it "weird, dark and creepy" and I have to agree some of it was a smidge darker than I remembered.

And while I still loved the Muppet work, the story could have used a severe red ink pen during the pre-production phase. There were parts that seemed to lurch from set piece to set piece.

But I'm down to see that world before it went to heck in a handbasket, so I'll tune in for this.
Old 05-18-17, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix) -- prequel series -- premieres 8/30/19

Yeah. I loved this movie when I was a kid. I'm in.
Old 05-18-17, 12:35 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Same here. Haven't watched the movie in years. Pretty cool they're reviving this for another generation.
Old 05-18-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

As long as there are no human characters again, I'm also in! Loved the original as a child and my 11 and 13 year old are aware of it (but we haven't watched it yet). Still a part of pop culture for them, apparently.
Old 05-18-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
As long as there are no human characters again
Human characters?
Old 05-18-17, 09:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Holy fuck is this amazing!! This is a childhood all-time favorite. Always wanted that sequel, but will love this. I hope they can recapture the magic...
Old 05-19-17, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yeah. I loved this movie when I was a kid. I'm in.
Yep, this. Hell, I collected The Dark Crystal trading cards.
Old 05-19-17, 10:22 AM
Banned

So when is the Labyrinth series coming out?
Old 05-20-17, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I am very intrigued ...
Old 05-20-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

This should turn out awesome.
Old 05-21-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I saw this in '82 at the movies and thought it was one of the most boring movies I had ever seen.

Have the bluray so I guess I'll watch it again before the show.
Old 05-21-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Most boring movie ever = blu-ray purchase?
Old 05-21-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew that was coming.

Actually I only have the old Superbit DVD version.
Picked it up cheap a while back intending to watch it to see if I might have a different opinion but never got to it.
Old 02-22-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Seems like just as good of a thread as any to post this:

The Dark Crystal Returns to Movie Theaters | Fathom Events

IN THEATERS FEB 25, FEB 28, MAR 3, MAR 6

Universal Pictures Presents

The Dark Crystal

Another world, another time… in the Age of Wonder. From genius filmmaker Jim Henson comes the fantastical story of The Dark Crystal. Many years ago, the mysterious Dark Crystal was damaged and an age of chaos began, led by the evil race of grotesque birdlike lizards, the Skeksis, who rule with an iron claw. Meanwhile the Gelfling orphan Jen, raised in solitude by a race of peace-loving creatures called the Mystics, embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of the Dark Crystal and restore balance to the universe.

The event will feature a brand-new introduction with Lisa Henson, CEO and President of The Jim Henson Company, who will reflect on the making of the one-of-a-kind film and the legacy of her father, Jim.
Old 12-17-18, 09:15 AM

Netflix has unveiled the voice cast for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, its forthcoming 10-episode prequel to Jim Henson’s seminal 1982 film, and it’s stacked. Among the major bold-faced names boarding the high-profile project (which bows in 2019): Star Wars‘ Mark Hamill, Outlander‘s Caitriona Balfe, Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s Andy Samberg and Game of Thrones‘ Natalie Dormer.

The primary cast, meanwhile, consists of Taron Egerton (Kingsman), Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch), and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones), as Rian, Brea and Deet, the three Gelfling heroes (get a first look at the trio below).

But wait, there’s more. Here’s what the rest of Dark Crystal‘s call sheet looks like…

Gelfling Characters (in addition to Balfe and Domer)
Helena Bonham-Carter
Harris Dickinson
Eddie Izzard
Theo James
Toby Jones
Shazad Latif
Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Mark Strong
Alicia Vikander

The Skeksis & Mystics (in addition to Hamill and Samberg)
Harvey Fierstein
Ralph Ineson
Jason Isaacs
Keegan-Michael Key
Ólafur Darri Ólafsson
Simon Pegg

Aughra will be voiced by:
Donna Kimball

Additional characters will also be voiced by puppeteers from the production, including Alice Dinnean, Louise Gold, Neil Sterenberg and Victor Yerrid.

As previously reported, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will take place “many years” before the events of the film. “When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world,” reads the official logline.

Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, The Incredible Hulk) will executive produce and direct.

“The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,” Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix, previously said in a statement. “I can’t wait for families around the world to see how we bring these unique characters to life.”
https://tvline.com/2018/12/17/dark-c...aEYcrN4MqqfqdM
Old 12-17-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Muppets?

We actually just re-watched this a few weeks ago, I hadn't seen it over 30 years, but the imagery had stuck with me all this time. My son wasn't terribly impressed, but he didn't totally hate it either. He called it "weird, dark and creepy" and I have to agree some of it was a smidge darker than I remembered.

And while I still loved the Muppet work, the story could have used a severe red ink pen during the pre-production phase. There were parts that seemed to lurch from set piece to set piece.

But I'm down to see that world before it went to heck in a handbasket, so I'll tune in for this.
As a kid I thought this and the Secret of Nimh (and the original Rescuers) were super dark. But that was part of the appeal.
Old 12-17-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As a kid I thought this and the Secret of Nimh (and the original Rescuers) were super dark. But that was part of the appeal.
Oh yeah, loved NIMH also. I had an illustrated storybook that I read a hundred times over and over after seeing the movie.

---------------

I'm usually terrible at recognizing names, but this one is just loaded. Hell, there's three Star Trek names right here:

Gelfling Characters (in addition to Balfe and Domer)

Shazad Latif

The Skeksis & Mystics (in addition to Hamill and Samberg)

Jason Isaacs

Simon Pegg
Old 12-17-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll try it, but...
Without the creator (Henson), it seems like just another money grab.
BTW, for those interested, the original movie has been released on a 4K UHD disk.
Old 12-18-18, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Skeksis Harvey Fierstein.

Minor nitpick, but the skin texture on the new Gelflings looks a little too slick. I always thought the original Jen and Kira puppets appeared to have a slightly flocked texture to them.
Old 12-18-18, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
Skeksis Harvey Fierstein.

Minor nitpick, but skin texture on the new Gelflings looks too slick. I always thought the original Jen and Kira puppets appeared to have a slightly flocked texture to them.
What happened to the photos?
Old 12-18-18, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I should have put them in spoiler tags since they were showing up high-res, but I just deleted them since they were already featured in the article dex14 linked above.

I found some smaller versions:

Rian (voiced by Taron Egerton):

Brea (voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy):

Deet (voiced by Nathalie Emmanuel):

Old 12-18-18, 03:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

wow. had no idea about this. can't wait. loed the original to this day. more of this world with that voice acting cast will be amazing!
Old 12-18-18, 04:53 PM
Banned

Those photos look amazing. Along as there's very limited to no CG I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 05-21-19, 10:11 AM

EW can exclusively reveal that the much-anticipated The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will launch on Netflix Aug. 30. The 10-episode show is a prequel to the beloved Jim Henson and Frank Oz-directed 1982 puppet fantasy-adventure film, The Dark Crystal.

The show is once again set on the world of Thra and concerns three Gelflings who discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power and set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world. The Gelflings are voiced by Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nathalie Emmanuel.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is directed by Louis Leterrier, whose credits include Now You See Me, Clash of the Titans, and The Incredible Hulk. The filmmaker tells EW he was determined to make the TV show look as similar as possible to the film, which meant fighting to use puppetry rather than CG to depict the characters. “I was not fighting against anyone, I was fighting against common sense and practicality,” he says with a laugh. “It’s so so complicated to build a puppet, hire puppeteers, all that stuff. We chose the long, hardest road and we’re very thankful [we did]. It looks absolutely stunning.”

The show’s huge voice cast also features Harvey Fierstein, Mark Hamill, Ralph Ineson, Jason Isaacs, Keegan-Michael Key, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson, Simon Pegg, Andy Samberg, Caitriona Balfe, Helena Bonham Carter, Harris Dickinson, Natalie Dormer, Eddie Izzard, Theo James, Toby Jones, Shazad Latif, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Mark Strong, Alicia Vikander, and Donna Kimball. The show’s executive producers are Leterrier, Halle Stanford, and Jim Henson’s daughter, Lisa Henson.

Exclusively see images from The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance below.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/21/the-dar...9i6cVDBLZxtlWk

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.