Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend an Great Fantasy Book Series to Me

Hi all,

I want to start reading a great epic fantasy novel series while I pass some time during this boring summer of mine. I'll be really glad if someone could give me a good suggestion.

My tastes:

1. Wheel of Time - OK, I really like this series, but the last few books have been kind of lacking. But still, I love this series.

2. Song of Fire and Ice - Best book series ever. I'm afraid that this series has ruined the entire fantasy genre for me...in fact, I'm afraid that it may have ruined all books for me. I try to read other fantasy books and I'm like "This doesn't even compare to Martin's work"...

So is there any great fantasy series that can hold up to these 2 greats? I did a search, but only came up with a couple of threads about fantasy books...I bought a couple of books from those suggestions, but I just didnt' enjoy reading the book that I got.

Thanks! Please save me from this horrible boredom...one can only watch so many DVDs!
Old 07-23-01, 05:16 AM

Anyone have anything to say about Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon? I've read up a little and a lot of people seem to recommend this, especially to fans of Martin's work.

Wow, I can't even find this book in stock online at any online store...anyone also know where it's currently in stock?

Last edited by Shamu; 07-23-01 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-23-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While it's not a fantasy series, it is - bar none - THE BEST FANTASY NOVEL I've ever read.

Go and find John Crowley's "Little, Big." Some of the best writing in any genre - period.
Old 07-23-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read the latest WOT novel, but there has to be more action in it than the previous one.

Check out Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books, along with the Death Gate Cycle by Weis & Hickman

Last edited by Aghama; 07-23-01 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-23-01, 04:31 PM

Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

Assassin's Apprentice: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...214271-0573724

Royal Assassin: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...214271-0573724

Assassin's Quest: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...214271-0573724

I LOVE this series
Old 07-23-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The original Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends.
Old 07-23-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm...why not try the greatest book(s) ever written: THE LORD OF THE RINGS !
Old 07-23-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Recommend an Great Fantasy Book Series to Me

Originally posted by Shamu
2. Song of Fire and Ice - Best book series ever. I'm afraid that this series has ruined the entire fantasy genre for me...in fact, I'm afraid that it may have ruined all books for me. I try to read other fantasy books and I'm like "This doesn't even compare to Martin's work"...
I have used almost these exact words in this forum before!

I agree, it's kind of ruined other series for me, but I've finally been able to stop comparing books to Martin's series.

I'd second the recommendations of Feist's Riftwar series, and Hobb's Farseer trilogy mentioned above.

You might like the Runelords series by David Farland. I also have liked the Black Company series by Glen Cook.
Old 07-23-01, 10:32 PM

Anything by R.A. Salvatore is pretty good. He's written a lot of Forgotten Realms books, but has also done a lot of outside books too. I highly recommend trying The Woods Out Back and it's 2 sequels.
Old 07-24-01, 12:22 AM
Cool New Member

Check out the Terry Goodkind books. Wizard's First Rule is the first. It's a very good read, and despite its size, a fast one. I actually adored it. He is, I have to say, one damn fine storyteller. The writing is not flowery or prosaic all the time, however. Still, it wasn't bad at all. In some ways, that made it all the more enjoyable.

Jordan is ok...but I can't stand drawing things out past a certain point. He hit on it a while ago for me.

Less "high" fantasy and also enjoyable are the Black Company Glen Cook novels, which you won't regret reading. I also like the Recluse series by L.E. Modisett, but he has a really bizarre style of writing that can be hard to muddle through sometimes. Still, the first books were good.

The Death Gate Cycle was great. The last book annoyed me when I read it...perhaps I need to just go through it again. Much of the Dragonlance stuff I feel was not up to the par of the first or second trilogy by W&H.

If you want some great fantasy short stories, the Sword & Sorceress #2 anthology is the best, by far. Unfortunately only available in used stores now.
Old 07-24-01, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll try out the Riftwar Trilogy b/c I know someone that has the first book.

I was really looking for something that has more than 3 volumes and over 750 pages each, but I guess there's not much out there like that besdies WoT and as someone mentioned Deathgate Cycle, both of which I've read.

But does anyone know anything about Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon? I've went to about 3 b&m bookstores and about 4 online stores and everywhere I go it's out of stock or on special order. I really wanted to read this because a bunch of George R. R. Martin fans recommended it to me.
Old 07-24-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really looking for something that has more than 3 volumes and over 750 pages each, but I guess there's not much out there like that besdies WoT and as someone mentioned Deathgate Cycle, both of which I've read.
Well, there's the Riftwar trilogy, then two more books in the Riftworld, then the 4 part Serpent War saga, plus another trilogy that ties into the Riftwar and a trilogy that's based off the Krondor computer games. So there's plenty in that world to keep you busy, I'd think.
Old 07-24-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Juri
Check out the Terry Goodkind books. Wizard's First Rule is the first. It's a very good read, and despite its size, a fast one. I actually adored it. He is, I have to say, one damn fine storyteller. The writing is not flowery or prosaic all the time, however. Still, it wasn't bad at all. In some ways, that made it all the more enjoyable.

Less "high" fantasy and also enjoyable are the Black Company Glen Cook novels, which you won't regret reading. I also like the Recluse series by L.E. Modisett, but he has a really bizarre style of writing that can be hard to muddle through sometimes. Still, the first books were good.
I can't believe I forgot to mention Goodkind and Modesitt above. I was kind of in a rush, but these two are also ones I would highly recommend. Nice to see another Black Company fan, too.

FYI, Modesitt's Recluce books (a dozen or so?) are related loosely to eachother. Only a few of them have the same characters. The books are written about various times through out the history of the world, and it's interesting seeing the development of his 'magic' and technology over the history of the series, as well as the...origin...of all that, which is unfortunately not explained until the 4th or 5th book (although you get the idea from hints throughout the series). Btw, he stole the idea of the origin of Angels and Demons from me.
Old 07-24-01, 01:33 PM

OK, well I also bought the first book from Terry Goodkind's A Sword of Truth series. It's pretty thick and there seem to be a lot of them, so hopefully this should keep me a little busy until Martin or Jordan finish their next book.

But I've read a little about this book (Wizard's First Rule) and I'm already feeling that I might not like it...maybe I just don't like magic in my fantasy readings

I kind of liked how Martin's series didn't have a lot of magic in part of the world...it was more about knights and lords than magic and wizards.
Old 07-24-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I've read a little about this book (Wizard's First Rule) and I'm already feeling that I might not like it...maybe I just don't like magic in my fantasy readings

I kind of liked how Martin's series didn't have a lot of magic in part of the world...it was more about knights and lords than magic and wizards.
If you don't like much magic in your books, then of the ones mentioned above, probably you might want to check out the Modesitt Recluce series. While magic is pervasive throughout the series, it's more of a background/lowkey theme imo, while relationship, political, historical, and other issues are more in the foreground. I don't remember too much magic in Feist's books either, but it's been a while since I've read one.

Oh, btw, expect magic to become more and more present in future Martin books. He's made repeated references to magic returning to the world and becoming more powerful, relating to the presence of dragons in the world again.
Old 07-24-01, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by p1forest

Oh, btw, expect magic to become more and more present in future Martin books. He's made repeated references to magic returning to the world and becoming more powerful, relating to the presence of dragons in the world again.
Yeah I know that magic is going to return to the Westeros or whatever, but I'm not completely opposed to magic. As long as the magic isn't ridiculous I'll be fine...hell, if the magic is ridiculous, I'm sure Martin will still manage to make the book great.
Old 07-25-01, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael Moorcock's Elric books kick all ass.

This albino prince, Elric, gets de-throned by his brother (or something, I forget the relation). Instead of a patron-saint, Elric has a patron demon. He has a demon sword that whispers to him and demands blood constantly, so Elric has to kill innocent people every now and then just to keep the sword happy. Oh, did I mention there's incest?
Old 07-25-01, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by tor_greg
Michael Moorcock's Elric books kick all ass.

This albino prince, Elric, gets de-throned by his brother (or something, I forget the relation). Instead of a patron-saint, Elric has a patron demon. He has a demon sword that whispers to him and demands blood constantly, so Elric has to kill innocent people every now and then just to keep the sword happy. Oh, did I mention there's incest?
Sounds pretty interesting from some reviews I read about it....about how long is each book?
Old 07-25-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*cough**cough*Harry Potter*cough*. The books are very well written.
Old 07-25-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

David Farland's The Runelord is a pretty good serie, although it only has 3 books and they are sorta small... but still a good read. I also read all of David Eddings work... many people don't like him and the books are short, but there 19 of them divided in 2*5 series which follow each other, 2 books to continue that serie, 2*3 series which also follow each other and he also has a standalone book which is pretty much no good.
Old 07-25-01, 07:04 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Covenant the Unbeliever Series by Douglas. They are along the same stark vein of Martins stuff. But your right you are ruined after you read Martin at least I know I am. You can also try Neil Gaiman his stuff while not "High Fantasy' is pretty well written and imaginative
Old 07-26-01, 06:45 AM

Sounds pretty interesting from some reviews I read about it....about how long is each book?

Theres 7/8 of the Elric books - each one averages about 200 pages. However, Moorcock's fantasy books, for the most part, occur a mulitideminsional Universe - The Multiverse. Try his 'Hawkmoon stuff' as well. You should be able to pick up some compendium volumes. Enjoy.
Old 07-27-01, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Concerning Elric:

Moorcock has been writing these books since the '60s (he was a member of the Blue Oyster Cult, BTW). The Elric book were originally released individually, and they're pretty short. HOWEVER, White Wolf Publishing puts out editions containing 3 or 4 of the stories in one book. One is called Song of the Black Sword, the other is Stealer of Souls. Each of those contains more than one Elric novel. There's another individual story that JUST came out, I think it's called Daughter of the Rose, or something like that.
Old 07-30-01, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll second the recomendation for Glen Cook's Black Company series -- if you liked the gritty, bloody parts of A Song of Ice and Fire, you'll probably like Cook's work, too.

Another series I enjoyed was Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. It's a dense read (sort of the antithesis of Terry Goodkind), but worthwhile.

It's very magical and not very traditional fantasy, but Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber are great.

Finally, since you like Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire, I'd recommend that you read the Legends anthology. That's a collection of short stories in the settings of various pre-existing series, and includes a Jordan Wheel of Time story and a Martin Song of Ice and Fire story. It's got a bunch of other stuff, too, like a Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn story (word of warning -- I hated the short story but loved the actual trilogy), a Goodkind Wizard's First Rule story, an Orson Scott Card Alvin Maker story (another great series), a Stephen King Dark Tower story, an Ursula K. LeGuin Earthsea story, an Anne McCaffery Pern story, and four or five others I'm forgetting.
Old 07-31-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stephen Donaldson's series of books (can't remember the name but it has Lord Foul's Bane), Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara series, Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser collection of short stories/"novels" - is all I can think of for now...

And of course as soon as I posted this message I thought of The Once and Future King by T. H. White. While not exactly a series (there is also a kind of addendum called The Book of Merlin) it's an excellent take on the Arthurian legend.

Last edited by stingo; 07-31-01 at 09:24 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.