Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017, D: Ritchie A: Hunnam, Law)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-14-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

No thread for this that I could find....

Charlie Hunnam Circling King Arthur Role in 'Knights of the Roundtable'
5:51 PM PST 08/27/2014 by Rebecca Ford

It looks like Charlie Hunnam, whose gritty biker drama Sons of Anarchy will wrap up its final season this year, is already lining up his next project. The actor is circling the lead role in Guy Ritchie's King Arthur project, Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur.

The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow project, with a script by Joby Harold, is a reimagining of the story of King Arthur and his legendary knights of the kingdom of Camelot.

If Hunnam signs on, it'll be a reunion for the actor with his Pacific Rim co-star Idris Elba. The actor is in talks to play Bedivere, Arthur's father's right-hand man, who will teach Arthur how to lead an army.

Lionel Wigram, Akiva Goldsman, Tory Tunnell and Harold are producing. Niija Kuykendall and Cate Adams are overseeing for the studio.

Hunnam has starred on FX's biker show since 2008. The show will end after its seventh season, which begins airing in September. Hunnam's recent film projects have included Guillermo del Toro's robot-versus-monster film Pacific Rim and the upcoming Crimson Peak. The actor was at one time attached to star in Fifty Shades of Grey, but ended up leaving the project, and was replaced by Jamie Dornan. He's repped by CAA, Brillstein Entertainment and Sloane, Offer.
'King Arthur' Finds Guinevere With 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Actress
12:25 PM PDT 9/18/2014 by Borys Kit

Astrid Berges-Frisbey is in talks to play Guinevere, the iconic lover of Arthur Pendragon, in Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur, Warner Bros.’ epic retelling of the British legend.

Charlie Hunnam is starring as Arthur, the young man whose journey to the throne the Guy Ritchie-directed movie is recounting.

Guinevere, of course, is Arthur’s ladylove, who eventually betrays him for the knight Lancelot, creating a messy triangle that contributes to the downfall of shimmering Camelot.

In Ritchie’s movie, the first of a planned series, the love story is in the blooming stages, with the young princess saving the young prince and helping him believe in himself.

Akiva Goldsman, Lionel Wigram, Tory Tunnell and Joby Harold are producing. Niija Kuykendall and Cate Adams are overseeing for the studio.

Berges-Frisbey is the French actress who nabbed the high-profile role of the mermaid Syrena in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. She also appeared in Mike Cahill’s I Origins.

Berges-Frisbey is repped CAA, Lichter Grossman and France’s ACT 1.

1:30 PM Sept. 19. Updated to reflect that Idris Elba is no longer involved with the movie project. The part of Bedivere, the right-hand man of Arthur’s father, who teaches the lad how to be a leader, is uncast.
Jude Law in Talks for Guy Ritchie's King Arthur Movie
11:31 AM PST 11/14/2014 by Rebecca Ford

Jude Law is in talks to join Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie as the villain.

The Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow project will be a reunion for Law and Ritchie, who worked together on Sherlock Holmes and sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Sons of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam is starring in the film as King Arthur while Astrid Berges-Frisbey will play Guinevere. Ritchie is directing from a script by Joby Harold, and the film is the first of a planned series. It has a release date of July 22, 2016.

Lionel Wigram, Akiva Goldsman, Tory Tunnell, Harold and Ritchie are producing. Niija Kuykendall and Cate Adams are overseeing for the studio.

Law most recently starred in The Grand Budapest Hotel and Dom Hemingway. He's completed work on Paul Feig's Spy and thriller Black Sea. He's repped by WME, LBI Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.
Old 11-14-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
re: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017, D: Ritchie A: Hunnam, Law)

Ritchie really needs to stop fucking around and film The Real Rock N Rolla.
Old 11-14-14, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That title isn't all that great...
Old 11-14-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We already had one shitty King Arthur movie. We don't need another.

Honestly, most historical films in this vein just don't work for whatever reason. If this is in the vein of Sherlock Holmes and other Guy Ritchie films, though, it could be fun I guess.
Old 11-14-14, 06:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

^ the director's cut of that was actually pretty decent, IMO
Old 11-14-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Agreed.
Old 11-14-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That title isn't all that great...
Just so long as the movie has routines and chorus scenes and footwork impeccable.
Old 11-15-14, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Camelot and Excalibur set the bar pretty high for King Arthur movies IMO. All the other films from First Knight to King Arthur looked pretty bland.
Old 11-15-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hire Peter Jackson . I'd pay so much to see Bryan Singer's The Once and Future King. There are still lots of ways to go with adaptations of this story, but Excalibur, at least so far, seems to be the definitive adaptation for many. I'm quite interested in another take one this, though I wish Bryan Singer could do The Once and Future King.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Just so long as the movie has routines and chorus scenes and footwork impeccable.
What will they do between their quests?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-13-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Indeed.
Old 11-20-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Djimon Hounsou Eyes Merlin-Like Role in ‘Knights of the Round Table’ (EXCLUSIVE)
November 19, 2014 | 10:59AM PT Justin Kroll

Djimon Hounsou is in talks for the role of King Arthur’s mentor in Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow’s “Knights of the Round Table.”

Guy Ritchie is directing with Charlie Hunnam playing Arthur and Astrid Berges-Frisbey playing Guinevere. Jude Law is also in talks for the role of the villain.

Idris Elba was also up for the role, but when dates could not be figured out, the studio turned to Hounsou for the role described as a Merlin-esque figure who trains and mentors Arthur.

Joby Harold wrote the the script and is producing with Ritchie, Lionel Wigram, Akiva Goldsman and Tory Tunnell. Plot details are being kept under wraps, and the pic will open on July 22, 2016. Niija Kuykendall and Cate Adams are overseeing for the studio.

The studio hopes the film can kickstart another franchise for Warner Bros., with the story to be told over six installments.

Hounsou has been busy lining up roles in several franchises in the past year. He can be seen next in Universal’s “The Fast and Furious 7″ which bows next April and also has a supporting role in Warner Bros. “Tarzan” set to bow in July 2016. He also appeared in this summer’s “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

He also has Legendary’s “Seventh Son” debuting next year. He is repped by CAA and the Safran Group.
Old 02-11-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eric Bana to Play King Arthur’s Father in ‘Knights of the Round Table’ (EXCLUSIVE)
FEBRUARY 11, 2015 | 02:50PM PT Justin Kroll

Eric Bana is set to play Uther, the father of King Arthur, in Guy Ritchie’s “Knights of the Round Table” for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow.

Charlie Hunnam will play Arthur, with Astrid Berges-Frisbey playing Guinevere. Jude Law is also in talks for the role of the villain.

Ritchie will direct with a script from Joby Harold. Ritchie and Harold are also producing along with Lionel Wigram, Akiva Goldsman and Tory Tunnell.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, though the pic is set to open on July 22, 2016. Niija Kuykendall and Cate Adams are overseeing for the studio.

The studio hopes the film can kick-start another franchise for Warner Bros., with the story to be told over six installments.

For Bana, the role isn’t the biggest, but the studio and Ritchie were always looking for a big name for the part to make a splash for the time he is onscreen, originally going to Liam Neeson before circling back with Bana.

Bana, who is repped by WME, recently wrapped production on Disney’s “The Finest Hours” and is also attached to star in the spy action comedy “Special Correspondents,” which has Ricky Gervais writing and directing as well as Jim Sheridan’s “The Secret Scripture.”
Old 02-11-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will there be a scene of Uther fucking Igraine doggy style whilst in full plate armor?
Old 02-13-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that you didn't watch Game of Thrones?
Old 02-13-15, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I thought that you didn't watch Game of Thrones?
I don't. That's an infamous scene from this classic:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/emF-m9qnF5o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f6h7auwGiK4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-13-15, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love Excalibur for its originality (and particularly good use of classical music for the score). We still quote Merlin lines from it "Ooooh...I didn't see that!", "Say the words!", "Behold...the sword of power!", etc.

At least Ritchie won't be following Boorman's tradition for casting Igraine (daughter Katrine played the part). http://br.web.img1.acsta.net/medias/...9/20103733.jpg Of course Boorman also cast son Charlie as Mordred (and as 2nd lead in Emerald Forest).

Speaking of their looking at Neeson for Uther (before deciding upon Bana) here he is as Gawain in Excalibur:

http://m.cdn.blog.hu/sm/smokingbarre.../Excalibur.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...606-151469.jpg

Here's a hilarious account from Gabriel Byrne about his casting in Excalibur (including his tale of the infamous scene w/ Katrine Boorman...just for RocShemp):

**************************************************************************************************** ****************

John Boorman came to see The Liberty Suit, and he asked me to be in Excalibur, which was my first break. (I had a naked scene in The Liberty Suit, and when I met John Boorman’s daughter Daisy in England a few years ago, she came up to me and said, “You were the first naked man I ever saw.” I was very flattered.) I hoped that I was going to have long, flowing hair and look incredibly romantic, and John Boorman says, “Well, I think we should cut the hair.” And my heart sank, and I thought, Oh God.

But I had a great time doing that movie. I was working with Nicol Williamson–he told me later on that he could never understand anything I was saying. I was on top of a horse, and the armor stuck into the top of my neck, so when I said “The land from here to the sea shall be yours,” Nicol Williamson turned to John Boorman and said, “He’s saying something about his granny!”

I had my first on-screen love scene in that. I didn’t know anything about the technicalities of making love on screen; I thought that they came along with a camera and put it down and you did the thing, just like on the stage, and the camera captured all the angles. I didn’t understand that you had to do it this way, that way, put the camera here, put the camera there, et cetera, et cetera.

So I was doing the scene with John Boorman’s daughter Katrine, who was playing my wife, and I was supposed to make love to her in quite a violent fashion. They did the wide shot, which was me on top of her in my suit of armor, and a fire burning behind me. I was covered in sweat. Anyway, I made love to Katrine in the wide shot, doing my grunting and groaning and all those medieval sexual shenanigans. Then they came in for the close shot and I was there saying, “Are we going to do it again?”

“Yes, we’ve got to get the close shot.”

So then I see them putting a pillow onto the bed, and I hear John Boorman saying, “Okay, Gabriel, can you…?”

I’m saying, “Where’s Katrine?”

“Oh, no, she’s not going to be in this shot.”

“So I have to hump the cushion?”

“Yes, yes, yes.”

That was the beginning of my disillusionment with it. I don’t care how into the part you are, there’s always a part of your brain that tells you, “You are making a complete eejit of yourself. Everybody knows that that’s a cushion, and besides, you’re wearing a suit of armor, and who ever heard of anybody raping anybody in a suit of armor?”

Anyway, I did the scene, and I believe I got a round of applause at the premiére in Dublin for doing the job with armor on. People used to say to me, “Come ‘ere, you were in that movie–how did you do it with the gear on ye?” It was a question I was often asked by learned critics.

–From Hollywood Irish, edited by Aine O’Connor, 1997

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-13-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is an awesome story. Thanks, creekdipper.
Old 02-13-15, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Roc, anything for a fellow enthusiast of "medieval sexual shenanigans."
Old 02-13-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Hey, Roc, anything for a fellow enthusiast of "medieval sexual shenanigans."
Old 02-14-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Certainly gives the phrase "get medevil on your ass" a new meaning.
Old 03-09-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Guy Ritchie's 'King Arthur' Adds Swedish Actor Mikael Persbrandt
2:59 PM PST 3/6/2015 by Rebecca Ford

Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt has joined Warner Bros.' Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur.

Charlie Hunnam is starring as Arthur, the young man whose journey to the throne the Guy Ritchie-directed movie is recounting. Astrid Berges-Frisbey will play Guinevere. Sources say Persbrandt's role is a villainous one.

The Warner Bros. project, with a script by Joby Harold, is a reimagining of the story of King Arthur and his legendary knights of the kingdom of Camelot. It's the first film in a planned series and is slated for release on July 22, 2016.

Akiva Goldsman, Lionel Wigram, Tory Tunnell and Harold are producing with Ritchie. Niija Kuykendall is overseeing for the studio.

Persbrandt played shapeshifter Beorn in the two most recent Hobbit films, The Battle of the Five Armies and The Desolation of Smaug. He also appeared in the 2014 Danish Western The Salvation with Mads Mikkelsen. His Swedish film credits include the Beck detective film franchise. He's repped by Open Entertainment.
Old 03-11-15, 10:08 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Old 03-11-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are they already recasting Thor?
Old 03-12-15, 09:16 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Hot on the heels of yesterday's first look at Charlie Hunnam in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR, Warner Bros. has released the official synopsis for the Guy Ritchie-directed movie. With the studio planning on doing six King Arthur flicks, it should come as no surprise that the first one will be an origin story.

The bold new story introduces a streetwise young Arthur who runs the back alleys of Londinium with his gang, unaware of the life he was born for until he grasps hold of the sword Excalibur—and with it, his future. Instantly challenged by the power of Excalibur, Arthur is forced to make some hard choices. Throwing in with the Resistance and a mysterious young woman named Guinevere, he must learn to master the sword, face down his demons and unite the people to defeat the tyrant Vortigern, who stole his crown and murdered his parents, and become King.
Old 03-12-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You lost me at "a streetwise young Arthur who runs the back alleys of Londinium with his gang" but hopefully that plays better on screen than it reads on paper.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.