Reload this Page >

Marvel Comic Recommendations

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-13-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I been out of the loop with comics lately and the few comics I read have been DC.
But recently I started reading Joss Whedon run of Astonishing X-Me and i think its great. It captures the essence of the characters perfectly and the story is amazingly engaging. So I'm wondering what other stories/runs within the Marvel universe you consider to be equally great

Thanks
Old 04-13-17, 02:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Marvel Comic Recommendations

Not familiar with Whedon's run, but maybe some info on what sort of runs (any company) that you've liked over the years would give us more to go in to give recommendations. There are 78 years of Marvel history and hundreds of great runs to recommend.
Old 04-14-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Not familiar with Whedon's run? What?

Whedon's run is excellent and mostly self contained, which is great (especially because there was like a massive delay in ending his run). I think over time people have soured on it a bit but I still like it. But then I was always a huge Kitty and Collosus fan. And ever since Planetary, I've fled Cassiday can do no wrong.

The other modern run of XMen that is probably a must-read is Morrison's New XMen one, though it's very different.

Starting with Annihilation, Marvel Cosmic got really good... without those series we don't get Guardians of the Galaxy.

Brubaker's lengthy Captain America run is a classic, as is his smaller run with Fraction on Immortal Iron Fist. Brubaker on Daredevil, which followed Bendis's excellent run. More recently Waid and Samnee on Daredevil.

Hickman just finished an incredible run on Avengers that had its start in both his run on Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors.

Peter David's X Factor run for comedy, as well as Milligan and Allred's X Statix.

Pak's Planet Hulk.

Remender on Uncanny X Force

People hate on Bendis but he did an incredible run on Ultimate Spider-man, mainly with Mark Bagley.

Brian K Vaughan on Runaways. But only his run, even Whedon couldn't save it.

Fraction and Larocca on Invincible Iron Man. To this day I still don't know how it ended because they never released the last hardcover that I know of.

Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man and Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

J. Michael Straczynski's Thor started off incredible, but unfortunately like most of his stuff petered out at the end. Still worth a read I think.

Nobody ever mentions it but McKeever's Mary Jane loves Spider-Man is still one of my favorites.

Most if not all of this is available on Marvel Unlimited, btw.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, I'll try to order them better when I have some time.
Old 04-14-17, 05:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Judd Winnick's Exiles

Peter David's X-Factor (05)

BKV's Runaways
Old 04-14-17, 09:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm very proud of being largely unfamiliar with any X-men title since the 80s. I might re-try some of it eventually, but I doubt any of it would ever crack my top 100 runs of all-time (which would be mostly Dark Horse, Eclipse, and DC).
Old 04-14-17, 10:28 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Uncanny Avengers was a good read; but some of it builds out of Uncanny X-force.

I enjoyed the Avengers Vs X-men event a lot more than I expected.

Avengers Academy is easily overlooked but worth reading.
Old 04-14-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you liked Waid and Samnee's Daredevil, you may want to check out their recent 12 issue run on Black Widow. It starts off really strong, dips a bit in the middle, and ends very well.
Old 04-14-17, 02:10 PM

Another comic I really enjoyed was the "Dark Avengers" series although I haven't read all the tie ins.

Also I started reading but haven't finished the All-New X-Men series were the young X-Men from the past come to the present where Cyclops has become a "villain". The plot setup its really interesting but the writing is not always there...
Old 04-14-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I tried Whedon's Astonishing X-Men after a long comics absence and really enjoyed it. It kind of lost steam for me after a while, though.

Agree that it'd be really useful to know other titles the OP has been reading.

I'd mention:

-John Byrne's Fantastic Four
-Frank Miller's Daredevil
-Walter Simonson's Thor
Old 04-14-17, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not familiar with Whedon's run? What?

Whedon's run is excellent and mostly self contained, which is great (especially because there was like a massive delay in ending his run). I think over time people have soured on it a bit but I still like it. But then I was always a huge Kitty and Collosus fan. And ever since Planetary, I've fled Cassiday can do no wrong.

The other modern run of XMen that is probably a must-read is Morrison's New XMen one, though it's very different.

Starting with Annihilation, Marvel Cosmic got really good... without those series we don't get Guardians of the Galaxy.

Brubaker's lengthy Captain America run is a classic, as is his smaller run with Fraction on Immortal Iron Fist. Brubaker on Daredevil, which followed Bendis's excellent run. More recently Waid and Samnee on Daredevil.

Hickman just finished an incredible run on Avengers that had its start in both his run on Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors.

Peter David's X Factor run for comedy, as well as Milligan and Allred's X Statix.

Pak's Planet Hulk.

Remender on Uncanny X Force

People hate on Bendis but he did an incredible run on Ultimate Spider-man, mainly with Mark Bagley.

Brian K Vaughan on Runaways. But only his run, even Whedon couldn't save it.

Fraction and Larocca on Invincible Iron Man. To this day I still don't know how it ended because they never released the last hardcover that I know of.

Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man and Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

J. Michael Straczynski's Thor started off incredible, but unfortunately like most of his stuff petered out at the end. Still worth a read I think.

Nobody ever mentions it but McKeever's Mary Jane loves Spider-Man is still one of my favorites.

Most if not all of this is available on Marvel Unlimited, btw.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, I'll try to order them better when I have some time.
So many great suggestions here. I think ill start with the highlighted.
I seen that Mary Jane loves Spiderman book before and thought about getting it, which series/comic run is the Annihilation one. I usually try to get compilation books because they are all in one

What about Spider-Verse? i heard some mixed things about it
Old 04-14-17, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I tried Whedon's Astonishing X-Men after a long comics absence and really enjoyed it. It kind of lost steam for me after a while, though.

Agree that it'd be really useful to know other titles the OP has been reading.

I'd mention:

-John Byrne's Fantastic Four
-Frank Miller's Daredevil
-Walter Simonson's Thor
Thank you for the recommendations yeah the Frank Miller Daredevil is a must. I really enjoyed his Sin City series and love The Dark Knight Returns. I also love Moore's V for Vendetta and Watchmen

I don't have a specific taste, i like most genres been meaning to read some more Fantastic Four, the few issues i read have been quite fun
Old 04-14-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spider-verse is cool because they bring in a ton of fanservice, but there are so many extra spider characters that they introduced the last decade or so that I'm sure you'll be unfamiliar with. But if you like Spider-man, it's definitely worth a read. It's basically all action, like the X-men crossovers of yesteryear used to be.

Annihilation was printed as an omnibus but I think that's out of print. It consisted of a prelude issue, then four four-issue miniseries (Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, Ronan, and Nova) then a six issue series. There was also a Drax four issue miniseries that was prior to this, but I always thought it was just one of the miniseries since I read it in HC form.

This basically revamped the Marvel cosmic universe, uniting a lot of otherwise obscure characters against a familiar threat. The thing that stood out to me at the time was that while everything else was mired in the first Civil War, Abnett, Lanning and co. were just telling great stories about these fringe characters at war with stakes so much higher than Earth.

This led to a Nova ongoing, and a follow up event, Annihilation Conquest. Out of that spun the ongoing Guardians of the Galaxy series (the team Star Lord founds), and then War of Kings and Realm of Kings, before the concept kinda petered out and Bendis pioneered the Guardians to make them more like the movie.
Old 04-14-17, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm very proud of being largely unfamiliar with any X-men title since the 80s. I might re-try some of it eventually, but I doubt any of it would ever crack my top 100 runs of all-time (which would be mostly Dark Horse, Eclipse, and DC).
You're like the polar opposite of me. The X-Men are really the only part of either Big 2 universe that I care about. So given their current state my pull list is 100% Big 2-free.
Old 04-14-17, 02:41 PM

Oh man so I guess the only way to read that Annihilation run is to subscribe to the Marvel comic service
Old 04-14-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sven
You're like the polar opposite of me. The X-Men are really the only part of either Big 2 universe that I care about. So given their current state my pull list is 100% Big 2-free.
I feel you. I'm still mad about what they did to Cyclops, and then how they backed away from it, invalidating a year's worth of buildup. I was going to try out the new titles, but one has an art controversy now, the other one has a new artist every single issue, and both will be mired in yet another crossover just a month or two after their relaunch.

And don't get me started on how they got me to hate the Inhumans now.
Old 04-14-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nando820
Oh man so I guess the only way to read that Annihilation run is to subscribe to the Marvel comic service
I think they're also available for digital purchase.
Old 04-16-17, 05:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Fantastic Four by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Amazing Spider-Man By Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

Amazing Spider-Man By Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.

Howard the Duck by Steve Gerber

Devil Dinosaur by Jack Kirby (less than 10 issues)
Old 04-17-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's funny, I didn't care much for Astonishing X-Men. I haven't paid much attention since the last Secret Wars, but sticking with X-Men one of my favorite arcs is the Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> X-Men Second Coming trilogy. The three together are a great read as far as modern X-Men stories go.
Old 04-17-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's funny, I didn't care much for Astonishing X-Men. I haven't paid much attention since the last Secret Wars, but sticking with X-Men one of my favorite arcs is the Messiah Complex -> Messiah War -> X-Men Second Coming trilogy. The three together are a great read as far as modern X-Men stories go.
That's true, it was a great callback to the classic X-crossovers of old. In between is a great run of Cable where he goes into the timeline to hide the mutant messiah, which I thought was a great sci-fi story that leads right into Second Coming.
Old 04-17-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Frank Miller's run on Daredevil is great.
Old 04-18-17, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
thanks for the recommendation, is this before or after House of M ? I havent read that but I hear is another must read X-men arc
Old 04-18-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Fantastic Four by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Amazing Spider-Man By Stan Lee and Steve Ditko

Amazing Spider-Man By Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.

Howard the Duck by Steve Gerber

Devil Dinosaur by Jack Kirby (less than 10 issues)
How long do you think he's been out of comics exactly?
Old 04-18-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks for the recommendation, is this before or after House of M ? I havent read that but I hear is another must read X-men arc
After. Actually what happens at the end of House of M leads into why there needs to be a mutant messiah.
Old 04-18-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How long do you think he's been out of comics exactly?
Old 04-18-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

After. Actually what happens at the end of House of M leads into why there needs to be a mutant messiah.
Yeah, I forgot about that. Good point, might be worth reading House of M prior. I didn't think too much of House of M, but it does basically set up the next decade or whatever of X-Men stories.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.