Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Makoto Shinkai's Kimino Na Wa. (your name.)

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 12-10-15, 07:04 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/cwfilms/posts/1057294437644031
Today, Shinkai's latest feature film was publicly announced. The title is "Kimino Na Wa." (roughly translated to "Your Name Is..."). The release date is set for August 2016. Stay tuned!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RBBrZ3d2sJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.kiminona.com
Old 07-03-16, 11:50 PM
WTK

Re: Makoto Shinkai's Kimino Na Wa. (your name.)

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/...-kimi-no-na-wa
Funimation licences Makoto Shinkai’s newest film: Your Name (Kimi no Na wa)
Posted by Funimation on 07/03/2016 at 6:56pm

We’re excited to announce today that we will be releasing Your Name (Kimi no Na wa), the newest gorgeously animated film from prestigious director Makoto Shinkai, in theaters and on home video. If you’re not familiar with Director Shinkai’s work, you need to be—Variety named him one of the top 10 “animators to watch” for 2016 (and the only Japanese director on that list), and also listed him as one of the top anime directors after Hayao Miyazaki’s retirement, along with Boy and the Beast director Mamoru Hosoda.

Makoto Shinkai’s films (Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Garden of Words, and more) are known for being absolutely visually stunning, with lush fantastic backgrounds, lovingly-rendered skies and starscapes, and a penchant for making everyday modern environments more beautiful than life. They’re also known for being emotionally touching, with stories of love, connection and meaning. If you have any interest in the world of animation or anime creators, definitely check out his new film (and get your tissues ready).

See the synopsis below:

Mitsuha and Taki are two total strangers living completely different lives. But when Mitsuha makes a wish to leave her mountain town and for the bustling city of Tokyo, they become connected in a bizarre way. She dreams she is a boy living in Tokyo while Taki dreams he is a girl from a rural town he’s never been to.
What does their newfound connection mean? And how will it bring them together?

Look out for more news about Your Name in the months to come!
Old 10-18-16, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Just saw this last night and thought it was one of the best animated features I've seen in recent years.

The artwork is absolutely gorgeous and the storyline is deeply engrossing.

It reminded me a little bit of
Spoiler:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
although I think this is the better film.

Definitely a must-see if you enjoy movies by Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda.
Old 10-27-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Variety did a story yesterday on the film's pickup by Funimation:

http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/ja...ca-1201901838/

Which seems odd since it was already announced in the piece linked by WTK in July (see above).

And here's Variety's rave review:

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews...ai-1201880723/

I had not heard of this film before. I'm not a fan of Shinkai's earlier work. But now I feel I need to see this and his previous film, CHILDREN WHO CHASE LOST VOICES.
Old 11-04-16, 12:04 PM
WTK

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/yourname

COMING SOON IN 2017

Presented with English audio or English subtitles.

EDIT: rehash of known info...

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/...academy-awards
MAKOTO SHINKAI’S “YOUR NAME.” MAKES OFFICIAL CONSIDERATION LIST FOR 89TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS
Posted by Funimation on 11/07/2016 at 11:30am

Japanese Film Pursuing Oscar Nomination for Best Animated Feature
FLOWER MOUND, TEXAS – November 7, 2016. Funimation® Films confirmed today that the Japanese film “Your Name.” has made the official Oscar consideration list in the Best Animated Feature category. The film will be vying for one of five nomination spots in its category that will be voted on for the 89th annual Academy Awards. Funimation Films acquired North American distributions rights to “Your Name.” earlier this year from Toho Co. Ltd. in Japan. “Your Name.” (“Kimi no Na wa.” in Japanese) is the latest film from the critically acclaimed director Makoto Shinkai and to date has earned in excess of $17.9 Billion Yen (~$170 Million USD) at the box office in Japan since opening on August 26, 2016 – making it the #1 highest grossing film of 2016. It has the singular distinction of being the first anime film to gross more than $10 Billion Yen (~$96 Million USD) at the Japanese box office that was not directed by Hayao Miyazaki, the world’s most prominent anime director. “Your Name.” has already surpassed Miyazaki’s last two films “Ponyo” (2008) and “The Wind Rises” (2013) and is currently ranked as the #7 highest grossing film of all time in Japan.

“We’re thrilled to have ‘Your Name.’ on the list of contenders for a Best Animated Feature nomination,” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and founder of Funimation. “It is a masterpiece of animation from director Makoto Shinkai and is definitely worthy of Oscar consideration. We look forward to releasing it in theaters in 2017.”

“’Your Name.’ offers stunning animation, rich characters and a storyline that will tear at your heart strings — so it is no surprise it has been so well received by audiences,” said Mike DuBoise, EVP and COO of Funimation. “We’re incredibly excited to bring this Oscar-worthy film from Makoto Shinkai to audiences across the U.S. and Canada.”

“Your Name.” is a beautiful story about time, fate and the hearts of two young souls. The day the stars fell, two lives changed forever. High schoolers Mitsuha and Taki are complete strangers, living separate lives. But one night, they suddenly switch places. Mitsuha wakes up in Taki’s body and he in hers. This bizarre occurrence continues to happen randomly and the two must adjust their lives around each other. Yet somehow, it works. They build a connection and communicate by leaving notes, messages, and more importantly, an imprint. Tugging at the string of fate, they try to find a way to each other. But distance isn’t the only thing keeping them apart. Is their bond strong enough to face the cruel irony of time? Or is their meeting nothing more than a wish upon the stars?

The film’s qualifying run will take place in Los Angeles on December 2 – 8 at the Laemmle Music Hall. Look for “Your Name.” in select theaters nationwide in early 2017.

For more information about “Your Name.” visit the official movie website here.

Last edited by WTK; 11-07-16 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 11:25 PM
WTK

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s0wTdCQoc2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-15-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

KIMI NO NA WA is a lot better-sounding title than YOUR NAME.
Old 02-01-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tickets for the screening of this film at the New York International Children's Film Festival went on sale last week. I dragged my feet and it sold out before I could get a ticket.
Old 04-07-17, 06:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Anyone else catch this one yet?
I saw it today and really enjoyed it.
Old 04-08-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found a list of showtimes in Manhattan for the film, but I haven't figured out a way to find out which showings are subtitled and which are dubbed. (I want the subtitled version.) Funimation's official website for the film is useless.

Anyone?
Old 04-08-17, 08:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ my local theatre is doing 3 subbed and 2 dubbed showings a day, and they've made it super clear which is which.
I would check your closest theatre's own website (not the funimation site) and see if it is clearer.
Old 04-10-17, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fandango has done a decent job down here in DC about saying which times are subbed or dubbed.

Saw it subbed on Saturday. Exceptional film. Shinkai's best IMHO.
Old 04-11-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it on Sunday after researching theaters and finding the one accessible venue that actually listed subbed and dubbed showings on some website. Pretty damned good.

I've seen two other Makoto Shinkai movies but didn't care for them and don't remember much about them. Maybe I should re-watch those and try to track down his other works.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-12-17 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

It was really good, though even knowing the concept the beginning confused me, like they intertwined the switches among the first few scenes, which didn't make sense (why was she feeling herself up in the very beginning?). Also they kinda gave away a key moment in the "intro song credits."

Last edited by fujishig; 04-12-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-11-17, 09:49 PM
WTK

It hasn't been released on home video in Japan. It should be a matter of time. And please no bootleg discussion anywhere in this forum.
Old 04-11-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apologies, and I wasn't trying to bust his balls or anything, I had no idea when it released in Japan considering how long ago it was licensed.

I did just buy the legit soundtrack on Amazon because I loved the music. The actual CD is backordered but with Prime you can download it immediately anyway so score.

By the way how was the dub, for whoever saw it? The trailer, I think, only has voices when they're in character.
Old 04-12-17, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
It hasn't been released on home video in Japan. It should be a matter of time. And please no bootleg discussion anywhere in this forum.
Sorry about that. I deleted those lines in my post.
Old 04-12-17, 09:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Do you recall if the songs were subtitled as well during the movie when you saw it in the theatre?
I know the very first song was... and maybe one more... but definitely not the last two. I hope the eventual Blu-ray has them all subtitled. I don't really want to listen to them in English.

By the way, I got the soundtrack on vinyl.
Old 04-12-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Do you recall if the songs were subtitled as well during the movie when you saw it in the theatre?
I know the very first song was... and maybe one more... but definitely not the last two. I hope the eventual Blu-ray has them all subtitled. I don't really want to listen to them in English.

By the way, I got the soundtrack on vinyl.
At least a few songs were, I mainly remember because of that time flyers line in Nandemoinaiya. I'm curious which one wasn't? The one in the credits?

I didn't realize until I got the soundtrack that the artist made English versions of the songs for the dub.

I'm fairly sure Funimation didn't do dubtitles but I'm always annoyed when they translate stuff like "oneechan" as a character's name.
Old 04-13-17, 09:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but I think it was Zenzenzense and Sparkle that weren't subtitled. Maybe Nandemonaiya was, now that I think about it. Dream Lantern definitely was.

On Spotify, there's two versions of the soundtrack; one with 27 tracks and one with 30.
The vinyl has 27, so I think it's missing the English versions... I haven't listened to the whole thing yet.

the beginning confused me, like they intertwined the switches among the first few scenes, which didn't make sense (why was she feeling herself up in the very beginning?)
Yes, this was confusing, and definitely could have been done better. I'm not sure what's spoiler worthy so
Spoiler:
It could make sense that she's feeling herself up and questions when her sister says her name (if she had spent the previous day in a boy's body and being called Taki), but it doesn't explain why she freaks out when she looks at herself in the mirror. Everything else from that day on seems like it's really Mitsuha, since her friends mention how weird she was the day before, and she does the whole Sake ritual which Taki would not have even known to do. So other than the first day we see in the film, I think the rest makes sense... but yeah... first day was poorly executed. You could also argue that they would have figured out the 'twist' earlier on since they were using their phones so much, but I can suspend disbelief in that regard for a movie like this.

Excellent movie, though. I'll definitely be buying it.
Old 04-14-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but I think it was Zenzenzense and Sparkle that weren't subtitled. Maybe Nandemonaiya was, now that I think about it. Dream Lantern definitely was.

On Spotify, there's two versions of the soundtrack; one with 27 tracks and one with 30.
The vinyl has 27, so I think it's missing the English versions... I haven't listened to the whole thing yet.

Yes, this was confusing, and definitely could have been done better. I'm not sure what's spoiler worthy so
Spoiler:
It could make sense that she's feeling herself up and questions when her sister says her name (if she had spent the previous day in a boy's body and being called Taki), but it doesn't explain why she freaks out when she looks at herself in the mirror. Everything else from that day on seems like it's really Mitsuha, since her friends mention how weird she was the day before, and she does the whole Sake ritual which Taki would not have even known to do. So other than the first day we see in the film, I think the rest makes sense... but yeah... first day was poorly executed. You could also argue that they would have figured out the 'twist' earlier on since they were using their phones so much, but I can suspend disbelief in that regard for a movie like this.

Excellent movie, though. I'll definitely be buying it.
Spoiler:
That's why I thought they intentionally mixed the scenes up, because that opening scene otherwise makes no sense. Also we kind of see each of their first days switched, but who switched first?

And yeah, the days on a calendar shouldn't sync up within three years. Plus all that time and they never called each other until the climactic moment, though I guess you can explain that culturally they felt it was inappropriate or something, until they realized how they truly felt about each other.

Ending seemed almost like an apology for 5 cm per second.

The digital version of the soundtrack I downloaded from Amazon doesn't have the English versions, but the physical cd says it should... I'll find out when it gets out from being backordered.
Old 08-12-17, 11:45 PM
WTK

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017...ed-otakon-2017

Your Name. (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 11/7

Your Name. (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 11/7
Two-piece collectible chipboard box with rainbow holographic finish, featuring the star-crossed lovers Taki and Mitsuha; Two-piece collectible chipboard box with rainbow holographic finish, featuring the star-crossed lovers Taki and Mitsuha; Your Name. 2-disc original soundtrack by RADWIMPS, with English and Japanese versions; 60-page hardcover art book; Art digipack; Blu-ray + DVD of the film and 59 minutes of extras.; your name.: Interview with Makoto Shinkai; Makoto Shinkai Filmography; Special TV Program; Trailers
Old 08-14-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait the special edition comes with the CD I already bought?
Old 08-16-17, 05:37 PM
WTK

via Funimation Shop & TRSI:

Your Name. (DVD) - 107 minutes - $29.98 - 11/7/17
- https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...ovie-dvd-04006
Special Features: Trailers
Your Name. (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 107 minutes - $34.98 - 11/7/17
- https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...ombo-bld-00622
Special Features: your name.: Interview with Makoto Shinkai, Makoto Shinkai Filmography, Special TV Program, Trailers
Your Name. (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 107 minutes - $84.98 - 11/7/17
- https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...o-le-bld-00623
Limited Edition includes: Two-piece double-sided collectible chipboard box with rainbow holographic finish, featuring the star-crossed lovers Taki and Mitsuha; Your Name. 2-disc original soundtrack by RADWIMPS, with English and Japanese versions; 60-page hardcover art book; Art digipack

Special Features: your name.: Interview with Makoto Shinkai, Makoto Shinkai Filmography, Special TV Program, Trailers
Old 09-28-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j-...nt-1202574994/

J.J. Abrams Developing Remake of Japanese Hit ‘Your Name’ With Paramount

Paramount Pictures and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot have won the rights to adapt the blockbuster Japanese animated movie “Your Name.”

The two companies announced Wednesday that they will work with Japan-based Toho Co., Ltd., the producers of the original animated film, to develop a live-action take on the story. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan.

Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce for Bad Robot, along with Genki Kawamura, producer of the original film. Eric Heisserer, who received an Academy Award nomination for his “Arrival” screenplay, will write the screenplay for “Your Name.”

The Japanese film was created, written, and directed by Makoto Shinkai. It tells the story of a teenage boy and girl from different backgrounds who discover they can swap bodies. They become desperate to cross space and time to find a way to meet and stop an impending disaster.

“We are excited to collaborate with an extremely talented team in Hollywood,” said Yoshishige Shimatani, CEO of Toho Co. “And to create with them a live-action version of the iconic Japanese film ‘Your Name.'”

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.