Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A question of Film Aficionado (DVD Aficionado)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 08:40 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Is there a way to upload your collection to Film Aficionado (was DVD Aficionado) from a report exported from or created by DVD Profiler? I've signed up for Film Aficionado but I'm daunted by the task of entering 967 DVDs & BDs one by one again, even by UPC. There are just not enough hours in the day these days for an undertaking like that. I'd have to do a little at a time, and it would probably take a couple of weeks to get it all done. I'd rather not have to invest that kind of time again if I don't have to...

Thanks!
Old 08-12-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Re: A question of Film Aficionado (DVD Aficionado)

I've used it for several years, probably close to 15 years now, and I don't think it's ever had that option.

I've always entered titles one at a time since I've used it since my collection was much smaller.
Old 08-13-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Does it have an option to use a bar code scanner? That may be a way to make things easier and quicker if you can't import from Profiler. But, I agree that entering a large collection is a daunting task. I had to do that once, when my profiler database got corrupted and stupid me had not backed it up.
Old 08-13-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

It DOES allow for a bar code scanner--there's a tutorial video on YouTube from FilmAf that shows how to use one with it.
Old 08-15-16, 08:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a bar code scanner...

I guess it's entering them manually, a handful at a time.
Old 08-16-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Or get a cheap barcode scanner from Amazon. They have several under $20.
Old 04-11-17, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Free app on smartphone these days...
Old 04-11-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm positive that Film Aficionado occasionally loses entries in your collection. I keep meticulous records of my collection on two different sources and FilmAF drifts off from my separate, offline database. It's only a handful of titles over thousands of listings, but does happen.

I imagine their database possibly gets corrupted and their back-up schedule doesn't always catch every new entry made on a collection.
Old 04-11-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm positive that Film Aficionado occasionally loses entries in your collection. I keep meticulous records of my collection on two different sources and FilmAF drifts off from my separate, offline database. It's only a handful of titles over thousands of listings, but does happen.

I imagine their database possibly gets corrupted and their back-up schedule doesn't always catch every new entry made on a collection.
Do you know the titles that went missing?

I sometimes run comparisons between AF and my physical collection, but the only issue I've had is when I actually lose the disc from my shelf (I still have no idea what happened to my old 2 disc set of Fight Club, it literally vanished from my home.)
Old 04-11-17, 04:04 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nik61
Free app on smartphone these days...

Wow, you joined just to dredge this thread up from a year ago to tell me that? Now that's dedication. Bad thing is, I don't have a smart phone. Will it work on a Galaxy Tab A tablet? What app is it?

I actually started to enter my collection, got to the 2nd entry (After People ~ History Channel show) and FA didn't have it in their database. I just shook my head and closed the page. Haven't been back since.

Last edited by kd5; 04-11-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do you know the titles that went missing?

I sometimes run comparisons between AF and my physical collection, but the only issue I've had is when I actually lose the disc from my shelf (I still have no idea what happened to my old 2 disc set of Fight Club, it literally vanished from my home.)
I don't remember, sorry. What I think happens is that their website's database will lose new entries once in a great while added to a collection. It's just a guess, I don't know how their site operates.

The caveat being that my collection is larger than 99% of all users. I'm not sure if size has anything to do with the issue I raised.

If people are looking for the most thorough media database, I'd suggest DVDProfiler. I rarely come across a DVD or BD not listed on it.