Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 1/25/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-25-17, 07:11 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Based on the bestselling novels from Lev Grossman, Syfy's hit drama THE MAGICIANS centers on Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph) and his 20-something friends as they discover their magical abilities at Brakebills University, a secret grad school specializing in magic. While there, they come to the realization that the fantasies they read about as children are all too real, and unwittingly invite a malevolent entity from the other side into their lives. Heading into Season 2, this group of unlikely heroes have been thrust into even more dangerous and unfamiliar territory, and must draw upon their novice skills to defeat a threat that could destroy the magical world itself. Driven by power, revenge and survival, they learn that those who entered the hauntingly beautiful world of Fillory will never be the same as those who leave.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ttPmut0kBgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RuC0irbKSGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XeDGWMRHnJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13 episode second season.
Old 01-25-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Magicians (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 1/25/17

Be interesting to see if this follows the 2nd book or will be its own thing.
Old 01-25-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

Syfy has gone all out advertising this second season. I've seen commercials and ads for it all over cable and print. I hope enough people binged on it since the first season ended to pick up more fans.
Old 01-26-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears that Julia is going to the dark side as the Beast influences her. It was interesting to see a British man from the 1940s getting thrust into modern society after living in a fantasy world for several decades.

I didn't quite get what happened to Penny. His reattached arms are doing magic on their own? Some of the dialogue in this episode seemed muffled, a couple of lines were nearly unintelligible.
Old 01-26-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I didn't quite get what happened to Penny. His reattached arms are doing magic on their own? Some of the dialogue in this episode seemed muffled, a couple of lines were nearly unintelligible.
He didn't pay the river helper so the guy spelled his hands. Looks like that guy knows something about Penny's future and was teaching him a lesson.
Old 02-05-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I didn't see why the Beast didn't just take the knife from Julia before she cast that spell on him. She barely knows magic and isn't anywhere near as powerful as Quintin's group. And he put them down without breaking a sweat. I think he sees darkness in her and wants her to become like him. Thats why he keeps pushing her to get rid of her shade.
Old 02-05-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like he wants to corrupt Julia for some purpose. Maybe the Beast thinks she would be useful defeating Quentin if he could turn her. They keep repeating how only Alice has enough power to beat him, but I think that is misdirection.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 02-05-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
At first I didn't see why the Beast didn't just take the knife from Julia before she cast that spell on him. She barely knows magic and isn't anywhere near as powerful as Quintin's group. And he put them down without breaking a sweat. I think he sees darkness in her and wants her to become like him. Thats why he keeps pushing her to get rid of her shade.
It looks like he wants to corrupt Julia for some purpose. Maybe the Beast thinks she would be useful defeating Quentin if he could turn her. They keep repeating how only Alice has enough power to beat him, but I think that is misdirection.
Don't know why the beast didn't take her out at the kids play pen but she it god powered for the time being like Alice. She can wield the knife so she's as powerful as Alice but not as skilled magician. She probably thinks it will take her and the Beast to kill the Fox.
Old 02-10-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Wow...the third episode was bleak but fantastic. This show does not pause to catch its breath, as the confrontation with the beast could have been drawn out over the next several episodes, but I am glad they closed the loop and of course the fox god is still around (not to mention creepy as all gets out). The gods in this show are creepy and vile assholes, and it will make it all the more satisfying when they get their comeuppance.
Old 02-10-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That entire scene with the cat was the craziest scene I've seen on television in the past year. I'm glad they didn't string us along and wait to reveal things.

I will miss that one character they killed off...
Old 02-10-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just watched the last two episodes back to back. This show is so crazy good. I only thought one thing was off. The one girl got shot in the butt but she was somehow completely healed later. I don't think they can insta heal on this show.
Old 02-11-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Season is off to an awesome start. I love how it can be so silly at one second and then profoundly dark the next. The third episode was truly compelling and really went in a direction I never expected.
Old 02-11-17, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

"Alice has gone all Harry Potter 7&8 on us"

That was fucking wild. I suspect Alice will be back.

I wonder what the god taking a dump in the wellspring means for Fillary?
Old 02-11-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ember is great, they need to give him more appearances.
Old 02-11-17, 04:03 PM
Banned

Ember is great, they need to give him more appearances.
We haven't seen Umber yet, have we?
Old 02-11-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
We haven't seen Umber yet, have we?
I don't believe so, all we've gotten are a few references.
Old 02-11-17, 04:08 PM
Banned

Ember and Umber are the two gods that watch over Fillory, so I assume there are other gods (like Reynard the Fox) who exist there too.

The Beast called Ember a minor god, so there must be others.

This show is so good I'm going to read the novels at one point.
Old 02-11-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I thought they said Umber was dead and that the Beast killed him. I'll miss Alice. She was one of my favorite characters. I hope she isn't dead dead.
Old 02-11-17, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ember and Umber are the two gods that watch over Fillory, so I assume there are other gods (like Reynard the Fox) who exist there too.

The Beast called Ember a minor god, so there must be others.

This show is so good I'm going to read the novels at one point.
End of last season Q did a voice over where he said Ember and Umber created Fillory so I'm not sure how minor they are. We know that there are other worlds too so I didn't think Reynard was linked to Fillory.
Old 02-12-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Helluva episode. I cant believe they will let Alice stay dead. Quintin wont rest till he figures a way to bring her back. Oh and Julia is quite possibly the only character in this universe that could make you feel sorry for Penny. All she cares about is Julia.

Last edited by Thrush; 02-12-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are more selfish characters in the Magicians than most shows. Julia, Penny, Quentin in his own way, it seems like most everyone is either self-absorbed or selfish.

It's strange when you consider Elliott has become the moral compass of his friends.

I'm glad Penny finally got his arms back. That slapsticky physical humor was getting tiresome.
Old 02-17-17, 07:11 PM
Banned

So you're saying it's the Magical Seinfeld?

This was another great episode. I liked the little speech Elliot gave at the end about how magic has given him everything, except for the one thing he really wants.

What I want is a magic clone.
Old 02-19-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are more selfish characters in the Magicians than most shows. Julia, Penny, Quentin in his own way, it seems like most everyone is either self-absorbed or selfish.

It's strange when you consider Elliott has become the moral compass of his friends.

I'm glad Penny finally got his arms back. That slapsticky physical humor was getting tiresome.
I have yet to see one act that Julia has committed that wasn't completely selfish. In all her ramblings about the Fox god she conveniently forgets that it was her fault he got summoned to earth in the first place.
Old 02-20-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Julia is tough to like as a character. Even when Alice acts badly, you get the feeling she's a good person at heart. All Julia does is whine about being left out of Brakebills.
Old 03-02-17, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
I have yet to see one act that Julia has committed that wasn't completely selfish. In all her ramblings about the Fox god she conveniently forgets that it was her fault he got summoned to earth in the first place.
Add another person that suffers because of Julia. I'd be worried if I was Kady. Hard to see Julia ever being redeemed. Ghost Alice is remarkably cruel. I'm starting to miss the group interactions from the end of last season and start of this one but with so many storylines it was to be expected.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.