Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So Best Buy's website got lousier

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-23-17, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to see if any of my local Best Buys have one of these new TVs Sony released for the year, and they've apparently changed the way that's handled. Used to be easy to click and see a list of nearby stores with info on which ones have it in stock. Now it's just shitty, and you can only search by zip. I live in PA and the 2 nearest stores are OH. I don't shop by fucking zip code. I didn't really want to shop Best Buy anyway, so I guess it's no huge loss.
Old 03-23-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: So Best Buy's website got lousier

Are you referring to having to now click on each store individually to see if they have stock? Yes, that is indeed shittier.
Old 03-23-17, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Are you referring to having to now click on each store individually to see if they have stock? Yes, that is indeed shittier.
Yeah, there's no real page anymore. All I see is store pickup and set the store for that. So if it's not the same day, they apparently don't stock it there.
Old 03-23-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Seriously, who comes with this shit? Are they just making changes to make changes?

Jesus, I hate it when sites update and they're harder to use.
Old 11-11-17, 01:45 PM
Banned

WT?F They don't even sell their own fucking gift cards!! You go to buy a BB gift card and it makes you go through Cashstar and enter ALL your fucking payment info. Fuck off. and how long does it take for my goddamn reward points to show up from buying gift cards through their convoluted shit?

Last edited by Viper187; 11-11-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-11-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I'm sure some management consultant was paid handsomely to suggest all these "improvements."

That is how a business often takes one step forward and two steps back.
Old 11-12-17, 04:58 PM
Banned

Why are the reward points from buying e-gift cards left "pending" for days? It's not like I can return the goddamn digital code. Give me my fucking points. Stop dragging your asses on everything.
Old 11-12-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Seriously, who comes with this shit? Are they just making changes to make changes?

That's the tech world for you. If you're not making changes for the sake of making changes, you're not really trying and will get fired.
Old 11-17-17, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like everyone's sites are getting shittier.

Have you seen an AMC theater website lately?
Old 11-17-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Let's put more javascript in here so everyone's browser will freeze up and crash."

"You know what I think people would like to see? Clickbait with diseased toenails and celebrity gossip."

"And fullscreen ads that highjack the page website while it's being viewed."

"And autoplay videos. Everybody loves autoplay videos."
Old 11-17-17, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Several newspaper sites that I frequent have autoplay videos at the top. Now if you scroll down, the video moves to a box in the lower right corner of the screen. You can close that box, but it appears again every time you scroll down the page. Really, who wants that?
Old 11-18-17, 06:12 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

A lot of these websites think they're redesigning their sites to make them handier for smartphones and tablets but in reality they're making them more of a PITA for everybody. Change for the sake of change is stupid, someone's just trying to stay relevant and keep their paychecks rolling in, they don't care if the end result is better or worse.
Old 12-05-17, 07:11 PM
Banned

Now I'm getting fucking pissed. I placed another order at BB this afternoon and my retarded fucking credit card company decided it would be a good time to block orders at reputable sites I've shopped at for years and make me verify the fucking charges. So the fucking authorization failed on BB's end and demanded I update payment info. No option to just resubmit. No, I had to input ALL my fucking billing info again. Now the fucking order status is still sitting there saying authorization failed. How the fuck long does it take for them to try to authorize it again!?
Old 12-16-17, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy from the web site often, but was browsing earlier to see if I could take part in the $10 gift code offer. There is a disconnect between the "Free Shipping to..." zip code and the "Select a store to see availability" zip code, not to mention that in some situations you're typing it for every item. It feels like I typed my zip a dozen times when once should have been enough. A big -1 for their store locator.

I'm also leery about the gift codes being good for just two weeks. Who expects this will also be the period where they have virtually no media sales?
Old 01-20-18, 12:21 AM
Banned

Why the hell does everyone love BB so much? Their site is terrible. Doesn't have proper wishlist options anymore. Takes hours to hand over digital codes purchased while Amazon does it instantly. Took days to cancel a goddamn pre-order. They don't even offer email support at all, and some of us aren't fans of phone support.
Old 01-24-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Several newspaper sites that I frequent have autoplay videos at the top. Now if you scroll down, the video moves to a box in the lower right corner of the screen. You can close that box, but it appears again every time you scroll down the page. Really, who wants that?
There are sites I like that now have that insta video box pop up in the bottom left/right corner and trying to X out of it is a joke...that is just insidious.

To the DVD Talker who said that a lot of folks who are employed to work on a company's website have to be seen as constantly making "improvements" to the site...yup, and the problem is that it is rare that these site improvements are tested by real world users (I bet most companies no longer reach out to focus groups when making major changes) to confirm that yeah...the change is a genuine improvement to the site.

Of course, if they do claim to run the changes by the working stiffs in the company who had nothing to do with a sites back-end changes said stiffs will of course say they loved the changes because who wants to say the change makes the site a pain in the ass to use and end up being laid off for expressing their opinion (as accurate as it may be of the GUI flaws).

I do not want to jinx and they end up going the BB website route...but kudos to Amazon for making it easy to add/remove/save for later in a cart and looping you in on price increase/decreases. I have stuff saved for later that has been in my cart for probably 1-2+ years and counting...never got the vibe that amazon was freaked that I have stuff sitting in my cart forever and a day.

I was able to make all my on-line Best Buy purchases fairly quickly during last years BF sales once the site stopped crashing but I absolutely noticed the changes that were supposed to "enhance" your experience shopping on BB's website.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 01-25-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 11:16 AM
Banned

So BB shipped 2 orders separately around 11am yesterday, but USPS tracking shows they still haven't actually received the packages. Useless motherfuckers. I'm tired of these big online retailers claiming things are shipped when they're not actually in the hands of the shipping carrier the same day I get the fucking email.
Old 02-03-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
So BB shipped 2 orders separately around 11am yesterday, but USPS tracking shows they still haven't actually received the packages. Useless motherfuckers. I'm tired of these big online retailers claiming things are shipped when they're not actually in the hands of the shipping carrier the same day I get the fucking email.
Eh! I had a couple of packages shipped last week by Best Buy and the tracking was off on both of them. One of them actually corrected the day it was out for delivery and the other after it was delivered. I have had only one package from Best Buy come late and that fell squarely on the incompetence of the USPS.
Old 12-05-18, 12:55 PM
Banned

WTF? It's the 21st century and these fucking assholes still pull the same shit. How the fuck is a $500 blu-ray player just "sold out?" Is it being restocked or not???? I have a fucking 10% off I wanted to use that's only good this month.
Old 12-06-18, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

You'll never have to worry about that here.
Old 12-06-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You'll never have to worry about that here.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1zkpNWClKdgLOMyAMT" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

via GIPHY

Old 09-15-19, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

No more weekly ads from Best Buy? It seems that the past 2-3 weeks they eliminated their weekly ads from their stores and their sites. Is this basically a sign that they gave up?
Old 09-16-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
No more weekly ads from Best Buy? It seems that the past 2-3 weeks they eliminated their weekly ads from their stores and their sites. Is this basically a sign that they gave up?
They are now doing shorter sale cycles with just virtual ads.
Old 09-16-19, 07:29 AM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Yeah, there wasn't a weekly ad flyer in the Sunday paper yesterday and maybe for a handful of weeks now, come to think of it. Every once in a while you don't get a particular flyer so I didn't think much of it until you mentioned it.

I have such mixed feelings on Best Buy. It's a local company and I'm proud of that, but I've had such bizarre experiences there. When I read about them running people's cards for "free magazines" nearly 20 years ago, I started only going there with cash, then stopped going altogether.

Likely any major store could have similar stories to what used to be on bestbuysux.com or whatever it was, but those stories had an influence on me - especially when they're response to them appeared to be 1. cease and desist so 2. we don't have to change anything.
Old 09-16-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's been five or more years since I've seen a Best Buy ad in the Sunday paper.

And probably a year or more since I saw a stack of fliers in the stores.

I figured they ditched printed fliers a while back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.