Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-07-14, 07:58 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), a leading global entertainment company, and Saban Brands, a strategic brand management company that acquires and builds global consumer brands, are partnering to develop and produce an original live action feature film based on the iconic Power Rangers property, it was announced today by creator of Power Rangers Haim Saban and Lionsgate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer. The announcement marks another step in Lionsgate's continued commitment to build a broad portfolio of branded properties and franchises with global appeal.

Saban launched Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a live action television series more than 20 years ago, and the series has been in continuous production ever since. It has subsequently grown into one of the world's most popular and recognizable brands, with toys, apparel, costumes, video games, DVD's, comic books and other merchandise.

The two companies noted that, with an extensive and extremely devoted worldwide fan base as well as a deep and detailed mythology, the Power Rangers are primed for the big screen. The new film franchise will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.

"Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our Power Rangers brand to the next level," said Saban. "They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from The Hunger Games to Twilight and Divergent. In partnership with the Lionsgate team, we're confident that we will capture the world of the Power Rangers and translate it into a unique and memorable motion picture phenomenon with a legacy all its own."

"We're thrilled to be partnering with Haim Saban and his team to maximize the potential of this immensely successful and universally recognized franchise," said Feltheimer. "The Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever. We have the ideal partner and the perfect brand with which to create a motion picture event that will resonate with moviegoers around the world for years to come."
http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...07-909241.html
Old 05-07-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: Lionsgate / Saban To Reboot ‘Power Rangers’ As Movie Franchise

Andy got his wish!
Old 05-07-14, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Andy got his wish!
That was exactly my first thought as well!
Old 05-07-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will Amy Jo Johnson have a role in this? I'm there.
Old 05-07-14, 10:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy got his wish!
/thread
Old 05-07-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'd be interested in this depending on how it's done. I think a lot of the old versions of the series have held up somewhat decently for what they are. Oddly enough though to me the original movie, despite having the original cast and being very similar to the series is terrible and doesn't have nearly the same appeal.
Old 05-07-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Saban plans new Power Rangers movie

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/li...t-list-wrapper

http://www.hitfix.com/news/the-might...the-big-screen

Not much information yet. I would certainly hope they use the current cast, seen in "Power Rangers Super Megaforce" on Saturdays on Nickelodeon, one of the best casts in several years, instead of digging up Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson and some of the other old-timers.

From PR Megaforce:

From PR Super Megaforce:

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what it sounds like, the film will reboot the franchise entirely.

It would be the only way this film would even remotely work. The original two films were awful.
Old 05-07-14, 04:26 PM

You mean you didn't enjoy this???

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UA0RtlpYlz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be curious if they did a fresh take with zero ties to whatever current TV series is airing too. I think done as a standalone it could be interesting.
Old 05-07-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

If its PG-13 Power Rangers film, count me in.
Old 05-07-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Power Rangers Reboot Movie In The Works

Lionsgate To Produce Inevitable 'Power Rangers' Movie

It was absolutely inevitable that we’d eventually get a big-budget live-action feature version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I’ve been saying for years that eventually some studio would get the film rights to these characters, spend $100 million-$150 million on the project, craft a somewhat more serious and grounded variation of the property, presumably with an origin story told in the Rise of the Guardians/X-Men mold, along with truly bombastic action sequences, and then gross $500 million worldwide. And today is that day. Lionsgate (Lions Gate Corporation) has signed a deal with Saban Brands to bring a live-action Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie to the big screen. If you’re a fan you’re probably very happy today.

With the current wave of 1980′s nostalgia in full swing, it was only a matter of time before we started getting cinematic adaptations of kid-centric properties from the 1990′s. And, for better or worse, there is no property that better encapsulates 1990′s kid-centric entertainment than the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The show premiered on Fox Kids in 1993, in the middle of what can only be called a renaissance of weekday afternoon/Saturday morning television programming. This was the era of Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, and Gargoyles. In the beginning the show was a G-rated Saved By the Bell type high school comedy structured around scenes where the kids would suit up in colorful head-to-toe jumpsuits and do battle with various monsters and and the like. These action scenes were actually stock footage from the Japanese show Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger. I was thirteen when it premiered, and I out-and-out hated the show.

I couldn’t stand the bad acting, on-the-nose dialogue, and general cheapness of the whole affair. More importantly, I couldn’t stand how to stole the thunder away from the likes of Batman: The Animated Series and established a new template for how to craft kids action shows. Soon we saw various rip-offs of the formula, including V.R. Troopers and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters and a revamped Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show. There is an episode of V.R. Troopers where the villain knocks over a book mobile, which either makes him the lamest or more evil villain in history. Anyway, since Power Rangers was a live-action show, kids could emulate their favorite Power Ranger fight sequences, and they did. Several high-profile injuries threatened to lead to an overall watering down of kids entertainment. If you’re wondering why Spider-Man was never allowed to throw a punch on his 1996 Saban-produced animated series…

I was arguably a few years too old for the show. I know plenty of peers who still have fond memories. Actually, there will be a couple generations after me who will have fond memories because the franchise is still pumping out new episodes, more than twenty years later. If you add up the countless spin-offs and re-brandings (Power Rangers Wildforce, Power Rangers Overdrive, etc.), Power Rangers has 781 episodes over the last twenty years, each one of them terrible. I kid, somewhat. Point being, if you were a six-year old kid in 1993, you probably ate up the monster smack downs, martial arts fight scenes, vehicle chases, and explosions like they were candy. Save for the Batman franchise, most of the would-be blockbusters of that era were either R-rated action films or PG-13 films like Waterworld that were absolutely not intended for young kids. That makes it ever stranger that neither Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie in 1995 ($66m worldwide) nor Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie in 1997 ($9m worldwide) were big hits.

Removing the “quality” issue, Power Rangers was a colorful, upbeat science-fiction fantasy action spectacular for very young kids. My daughter discovered the show on Netflix NFLX -1.76% a few months ago. She’s not obsessed with it, but she enjoyed it and frankly I don’t blame her. She liked the exposition-heavy plots, simple but arguably important life lessons, and the age-appropriate humor and “spectacular” action beats. There is usually more than one female Ranger and there is usually a certain amount of multiculturalism, something that is often missing in today’s blockbuster film franchises. If you were a six-year old in 1993, I imagine Power Rangers was unlike anything you had ever seen. You probably thrilled to the action, laughed when Skull and Bulk hurt themselves, and got your first crushes on (pick your poison) Amy Jo Johnson or David Jason Frank. If I can still defend He-Man and Superfriends as relics of their time, it’s time for me to offer the same courtesy to the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers.

On the other hand, that doesn’t mean I should greet this film news with entirely open arms. One of the reasons that Power Rangers was an iconic property to the six-year olds of the 1990′s is because it was their property. It wasn’t a recycled variation of something their parents loved. As we see more mainstream entertainment dominated by revamped variations of properties from generations past, we risk creating a generation of children with no entertainment icons to call their own. The very thing that made a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie inevitable (plug the Power Rangers into the screenplay for the first X-Men and poof!) is also the thing that makes it just a little sad. We’ve basically strip-mined the 1980′s and now we’re moving on to the 1990′s. At some point we’re going to run out of past to recycle because we never bothered to create new iconic properties.

I hated Power Rangers, but it was never my property to love. I imagine those who grew up on the show will be somewhat happy about this news. I imagine we’ll start seeing director suggestions (Werner Herzog!) and fan-casting lists within the next few hours about who should be the Pink Ranger, the Green Ranger, and the evil Rita (Jodie Foster!) and Zed (Daniel Day Lewis!). Assuming the film is the Power Rangers equivalent of the Transformers franchise (and that seems to be what the press release suggests), then I imagine it will be a pretty big hit whenever it opens. It will be interesting to see how much of the fan base comes from kids who still watch the newer episodes of this-now 21-year old series as opposed to people just a little younger than myself who discovered it in the 1990′s. I just hope the studios don’t entirely give up on giving today’s youngest children heroes and heroines to call their own.

Okay, your turn… Any thoughts on a Power Rangers movie? Who would your dream cast be, and should it be directed by Terrence Malick, Sarah Polley, or Shane Carruth? Sound off accordingly. The relevant portion of the press release is excerpted below.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...rangers-movie/

-My favorite show growing up. I figured this would get greenlit after Transformers became a hit. I'm guessing this'll be "Pacific Rim with teenagers" which could work. Plus they have the most bad ass Villain of any kids show they can use for the movie:

Old 05-07-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Andy got his wish!
Who?
Old 05-07-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
From what it sounds like, the film will reboot the franchise entirely.

It would be the only way this film would even remotely work. The original two films were awful.
I think the first film is great and still holds up. But the second movie is pure shit.
Old 05-07-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think the first film is great and still holds up. But the second movie is pure shit.
Yes it is

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jWyJPEARjMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Who?
Andy. Andy got his wish.
Old 05-07-14, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that the show is still going, I don't know that they'd reboot it. It's probably just going to be a normal Power Rangers movie. By the way, has the episode where a bunch of the past rangers, Tommy included, been on yet?
Old 05-07-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Andy. Andy got his wish.
From Toy Story?
Old 05-07-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HellTrack
Considering that the show is still going, I don't know that they'd reboot it. It's probably just going to be a normal Power Rangers movie. By the way, has the episode where a bunch of the past rangers, Tommy included, been on yet?
The first movie was released while the show was still on the air yet it exists as a separate continuity.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Andy. Andy got his wish.
Yeah, I still don't get it. I'll assume this is a Game of Thrones or Girls reference and move on.
Old 05-07-14, 10:20 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/prOo21F9NTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Andy of the House Dwyer, first of his name, King of the Andals and the First Men, and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. Long may he reign!
Old 05-07-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Andy got his wish!
Well done sir. You win the internet.
Old 05-08-14, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

They do movie versions of sentai series every year in Japan. Some of them are pretty good. And some are pretty short, like just over an hour.

This one, GOKAIGER GOSEIGER SUPER SENTAI 199 HERO GREAT BATTLE (2011), reunited tons of past sentai heroes, including Kenji Oba (Space Sheriff Gavan, KILL BILL VOL. 1), who'd starred in two different sentai series, "Battle Fever J" and "Denjiman," in 1979-81.
Old 05-08-14, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/prOo21F9NTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ah. Never watched that show.
Old 05-08-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
They do movie versions of sentai series every year in Japan. Some of them are pretty good. And some are pretty short, like just over an hour. This one, GOKAIGER GOSEIGER SUPER SENTAI 199 HERO GREAT BATTLE (2011), reunited tons of past sentai heroes, including Kenji Oba (Space Sheriff Gavan, KILL BILL VOL. 1), who'd starred in two different sentai series, "Battle Fever J" and "Denjiman," in 1979-81.
Are those released theatrically in Japan, or do they go video ala OVAs?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.