Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-16-17, 07:31 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Billionaire Danny Rand (Finn Jones) returns to New York City after being missing for years, trying to reconnect with his past and his family legacy. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeri Hogarth
· David Wenham as Harold Meachum
· Finn Jones as Daniel Rand
· Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing
· Jessica Stroup as Joy Meachum
· Tom Pelphrey as Ward Meachum

CREW INFORMATION:
· Alan Fine as EP
· Jeph Loeb as EP
· Joe Quesada as EP
· Scott Buck as CRTR/EP
· Stan Lee as EP

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f9OKL5no-S0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
13 episode first season. Premieres 3:01am EST on 3/17/17.

This is the final series leading up to Marvel's The Defenders (8 episodes set to premiere mid-2017).

Please use spoiler tags for any major plot discussion.
Old 03-16-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

No real plans this weekend, so I hope to get through the entire season.
Old 03-16-17, 12:04 PM

Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/17/17

This might be the first time I don't binge a Marvel show immediately. The reviews have put me off. I will watch it for sure, but I'm not in a rush.
Old 03-16-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Will definitely watch, but probably not right away. I still haven't seen Luke Cage yet.

Expectations are low though since Scott Buck is the head writer/showrunner.
Old 03-16-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Man, just read a harsh review. Will read this thread to see if folks like it.. not jumping in right away...
Old 03-16-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm more excited about the vintage MST3K being on Netflix now than I am about this coming out with all the horror reviews it's gotten.
Old 03-16-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's exactly what I said, and, based on the reviews thus far, skepticism is well warranted.
Old 03-17-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Well then

Iron Fist: Finn Jones Blames Trump for Negative Reactions

“I think the world has changed a lot since we were filming that television show,” Jones said. “I’m playing a white American billionaire superhero, at a time when the white American billionaire archetype is public enemy number one, especially in the US. We filmed the show way before Trump’s election, and I think it’s very interesting to see how that perception, now that Trump’s in power, how it makes it very difficult to root for someone coming from white privilege, when that archetype is public enemy number one.”
So much for Batman & Iron Man.
Old 03-17-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's now become a bandwagon effect to trash this Iron Fist show, so it's hard to separate the actual critiques from bandwagon critics. There is a general belief that Marvel's stuff gets unfairly positive reviews, so this is the first time critics feel safe to jump on a Marvel production.
Old 03-17-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm liking it so far. I'm 3 episodes in and I really don't get all the bullshit that's being thrown at it. I'm really liking the fact they aren't straying far from the source material. I'm Asian and I don't get why other Asians are hating on this. They obviously never read Iron Fist or grew up in the '70's when Kung Fu and martial arts in general was a huge draw for everyone and it didn't matter what your fuckin' background was. They are just talking out of their ass about a character they know nothing about.
Old 03-17-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm liking it so far. I'm 3 episodes in and I really don't get all the bullshit that's being thrown at it. I'm really liking the fact they aren't straying far from the source material. I'm Asian and I don't get why other Asians are hating on this. They obviously never read Iron Fist or grew up in the '70's when Kung Fu and martial arts in general was a huge draw for everyone and it didn't matter what your fuckin' background was. They are just talking out of their ass about a character they know nothing about.
yep, same, 3 epis in and am really enjoying this

my biggest worry going in was not the reviews (as I didn't read them) but the fact DD relied so heavily on martial arts style fighting and thought this would be to redundant given that is the style of the character/genre of this series ... hasn't been an issue
Old 03-18-17, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I enjoyed the first episode. I didn't think it dragged at all.
Old 03-18-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched the entire thing and it held my interest the whole time. The critics were right about few things but far to harsh on it. The fight scenes were good but, they never were as great as the best fights from Daredevil. I look forward to The Defenders later this year. It's a real shame that Luke and Jessica are the only ones that have met.
Old 03-18-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm on episode 3. I hope people don't ignore this because of its bad press. I think it's right up there with the other Netflix Marvel shows. Of which Daredevil is the most action packed and indulgent in all of the superhero stuff.
Old 03-18-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

The trailer looks solid... a bit Green Arrow-ish. I wasn't a fan of Daredevil, but this looks pretty good. I'll have to put in the watchlist when I resub to Netflix.

Warning...silly tangent...
Billionaire Danny Rand (Finn Jones) returns to New York City
Really? So Spider-man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Punisher, and all the Avengers basically all operate out of New York? Either these are the sorriest bunch of superheroes ever or New York is the absolute worst city to live in on the planet. Snyder's Metropolis might be a safer bet. Say what you will about DC but Batman doesn't need help in Gotham, nor Superman in Metropolis or Flash in Central City. What gives? Whatever the reason, it's definitely an interesting dichotomy between the two brands that's kinda funny.
Old 03-18-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Does Iron Fist become a lumberjack at the end?
Old 03-18-17, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The trailer looks solid... a bit Green Arrow-ish. I wasn't a fan of Daredevil, but this looks pretty good. I'll have to put in the watchlist when I resub to Netflix.

Really? So Spider-man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Punisher, and all the Avengers basically all operate out of New York? Either these are the sorriest bunch of superheroes ever or New York is the absolute worst city to live in on the planet. Snyder's Metropolis might be a safer bet. Say what you will about DC but Batman doesn't need help in Gotham, nor Superman in Metropolis or Flash in Central City. What gives? Whatever the reason, it's definitely an interesting dichotomy between the two brands that's kinda funny.
The Netflix shows have always been considered "street level" crime. This stuff wouldn't even be on The Avengers' radar.
Old 03-18-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah, The vast majority of Marvel's heroes have always been based in NYC and the surrounding area. That's just the way that Stan did it. The Fantastic Four are also in NYC, and the X-Mansion is in Westchester County, New York
Old 03-18-17, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Batman has his fellow costumed friends in Gotham. Not sure about current DC but it's been known that while Batman mostly operates solo in Gotham. He is never alone in it. Nightwing and others are there for him.

Supes in the 1990s had fellow heroes operating in Metropolis too.

It's really not that wild and was a fun thing for the fans and the creators to make it a hub for the hero nonsense.

Maybe I'm wrong but is it in the MCU that just The Avengers and The Incredible Hulk that have a battle there? Homecoming has one in it, I'd assume but it's also set in DC. Otherwise, the Defenders are all NYC based, mostly, in their skirmishes.
Old 03-18-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

So why am I suppose to hate this again????

Already two episodes in and I'm hooked.

Also...fucking annoyed with these shows referring to the "Incident". Just call it what it is... a fucking alien invasion.
Old 03-18-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Third episode in, and I am loving this show. Yes, it a slow burn, and there's not quite the same amount of immediate "oomph" as Jessica, Luke and Daredevil, but it is very enjoyable and definitely keeping my interest.
Old 03-18-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I was looking forward to this series more than any of the other Defenders lead-ins and the early previews were certainly discouraging. I actually enjoyed the first episode quite a bit and hopefully the rest of the series will hold up as well. I appreciate that they kept Danny's personality as mostly upbeat and not as dark as Batman since he always had a sense of humor in the comics which made Iron Fist one of my favorites as a kid.
Old 03-18-17, 12:31 PM

Glad people on here are enjoying it. That's what really matters in the end, the fans. I really didn't see people who watched the three previous shows sit this one out. I'll try to get to this when I can.
Old 03-18-17, 01:13 PM

Finn is definitely the worst/least interesting lead any of these shows have had
Old 03-18-17, 01:18 PM
Banned

Super long rant. I apologize. I just really like this comic character.

I feel like if this wasn't about Iron Fist? Somehow the drama would be better. I'm just done w/ episode 13 now. The drama is good. It's interesting. The relationships are interesting.

The fights. They're pretty boring. They're pretty generic. Which is sad to say cuz it's freaking Iron Fist. The action should be on par, if not exceeding, DD. It's what one would imagine a regular network show doing w/ martial arts. Very boring. The talent is there but it's just well made. Not sure what happened there. Also they needed to get shorter wigs for the stunt guys. It was a bit too noticeable to me at times. Colleen Wing has the best fights in the first half of the show. Which sucks cuz even her stuff wasn't good.

I love the Iron Fist mythos jumping into the drama but at the same time when it does that. I feel like it's a show from the 1990s when I was like 5 and where some white dude has to constantly show the audience that he's this person w/ his kung Fu badassery. A little bit too philosophizing of his teachings at times and not enough action. Too hamfisted almost. Also the dude is still too naive after being constantly shown that he can't do things the way he wants cuz he's naive. Ease up, Danny. Stop being so stupid all the time thinking that it'll be ok time after time when you're proved wrong. He has a hard time developing.

Danny Rand is pretty much who Danny Rand is. A bit too stupid but he's Danny Rand. Pretty upbeat and a bit too honest about what's right. Does what he can to help when it comes to him. It's just very Danny Rand. Sucks that he never gets to wear the garb of the Iron Fist. Sucks really bad It wouldn't make sense for him to wear because of where they made the character go and who he fought at the end. Makes sense but you want to guy to wear the green and yellow in his series. Still excited to see him and Luke Cage.

Madame Gao is never boring. She's the only character that doesn't annoy me in the whole show. And maybe Claire Temple too. Also Dawson has a very big chest. I never noticed that. I don't remember it being that big in Sin City. Also yay for Claire Temple not having sex w/ Danny Rand. Was seriously wondering if they were going to have her sex all the male Defenders.

The show is better than Luke Cage cuz its low points aren't to Cage's level. It's more steady. Not as stupid.

The show gets a grasp of itself around midway. It's just that first half that is kind of boring for Iron Fist. Boring for the whole kung fu dude being back but not boring for the drama part revolving around him. Rand is boring in the first half. They really need to work on their action. Sucky end boss. Intriguing final scene moment in the last episode. It just sucks that it doesn't ever feel right till the midpoint almost. It's not a slow burn cuz it's getting there the pacing is there for what it wants but it's just kind of boring in the first half. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Iron Fist. This may have been better if they just condensed the material to less episodes. 10 episodes maybe?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.