Reload this Page >

Sports games and nostalgia...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-15-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

The 16-bit thread prompted some of us to remember back to the good old days of sports gaming.. back when you kept statistics manually and there were no seasons or schedules or real players. Just thought it'd be cool to post a thread about those sports games you loved and how you exploited them.

I played the shit out of every and any baseball game... going back to Micro League Baseball. I had a journal of statistics I kept for an entire 162 game season. I so wish I still had that today.

I also played my share of Lakers vs. Celtic all the way up to NBA Live but loved Tecmo Basketball more than the others - probably because it did keep statistics early on. Double Dribble was a favorite because I had this move down where I could run down the court, head towards the bottom corner and jack a 3 pointer as I went out of bounds - it never missed lol.

And of course, nobody didn't play Super Tecmo Bowl.

So what about you guys? What were some of your favorites?

For old-school PC baseball fans, I found this link:

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/01/22/...deo-games-list
Old 03-15-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Sports games and nostalgia...

I played these:

Old 03-15-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't usually venture into the Video Game forum, but the thread title caught my eye.

That link of old PC games was great--I was familiar with a few of them. I think I wore out a floppy disc version of "The World's Best Baseball Game".

Later, I had fun with the Tony LaRussa baseball game. Which was years before he was connected to the Cardinals.

As David described, I had a greater passion for the baseball board games. And still enjoy them from time to time.
Old 03-15-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We played the shit out of RBI Baseball on Genesis. We also played NHL 93 or 94, one of them it was super easy to score using the same move. We would have really high scoring games, which was kinda funny for hockey.
Old 03-15-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I loved Baseball Stars. I would spend weeks making super teams of 87+ rated players and playing 162 game seasons. I tracked the stats in a notebook. What a geek I was., lol.
Old 03-15-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
As David described, I had a greater passion for the baseball board games. And still enjoy them from time to time.

I actually made my own baseball game, rating all the players for certain attributes, rolling dice, and moving the ball and players around on posterboard ballparks I diagrammed and penciled out. Good times.
Old 03-15-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I loved Baseball Stars.I tracked the stats in a notebook.
Yep, same here.

I also had a notebook for Track and Field that I would keep updated with my records every time I re-broke them.

I kept track of how bad I could beat the CPU in Double Dribble. I got to where I could beat them by over 100 on 5 minute quarters.

God, so many great sports games back then.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
We also played NHL 93 or 94, one of them it was super easy to score using the same move. We would have really high scoring games, which was kinda funny for hockey.
I remember that cheesy shit where you just skate across the front of the goal and put it in every time.
Old 03-15-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Sports games died for me the minute they all decided to become hyper-realistic and fun took a backseat. That would be somewhere between the N64/PS1 and PS2/360 generation.

Old school sports were a blast. Baseball Stars was amazing. Double Dribble, TecmoBowl, Super Tennis, Pro Wrestling, Sk8 or Die, T&C Surf, Summer Games & Winter Games, Punch-Out, SSX Tricky, [early] Tony Hawk, WaveRace, WCW vs NWO, Quarterback Club '98, NBA Jam, Blitz, etc... just to name a few.

Since then nearly every sport is hung up on the realism. You gotta know routes and package plays, who shoots a better 3, statistics of using this guy over that guy, etc. Just give me a team and a money player and I'll have a blast.
Old 03-15-17, 03:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

For the Genesis:

NHL 94-95
World Series Baseball and World Series Baseball 95
NFL 94
Lakers Vs Celtics
Team USA Basketball

For the NES:
Tecmo and Tecmo Super Bowl
NES Play Action Football
Little League World Series
Bases Loaded 2
Blades of Steel
Double Dribble
Old 03-15-17, 04:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I played the heck out of MicroLeague Baseball on the Atari ST and PC back in the 80s and 90s. Iirc it had decent graphics for the time, but wasn't an action game, you basically played the manager and called pitches and set the lineup. I still remember the time where "I" pitched a perfect game as JR Richard of the 1980 Houston Astros. Printed the box score and still have it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLeague_Baseball
Old 03-15-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see, old sports games that I love:

Baseball
RBI Baseball
Baseball Stars
Baseball Simulator 1.000

Basketball
Double Dribble (never had I shot so many threes in my life)
Arch Rivals
Lakers vs Celtics (the auto animations/dunks were awesome)

Hockey
Blades of Steel
NHL Hockey '93

Wrestling
We ain't got that kinda time, lol

Now...David's post helped to remember an old tabletop baseball game that I played when I was a really small kid. It wasn't Strat-O-Matic but it was these circles with classic player names that had spinners and where it stopped was what happened to that particular at-bat. It was of course based on real stats, like Babe Ruth had this giant area for homerun but also a giant area for strikeout. My set got ridiculous use as a kid and I'm sure was tossed by my mother when I went to college. Honestly, until David's post I hadn't even thought of the game in probably a decade. But if somebody knows what game that is, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: It was All-Star Baseball by Cadaco, after a few combinations on Google, found it.

and one of the cards (the creator of the game as it were):

Last edited by Kedrix; 03-15-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, All Star Baseball was the one I used to play too (in addition to Stratomatic and APBA shown above).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPCOigS-aTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-15-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I played an absolute ton of NHL 95 on the PC. I think NHL 95 was one of the last of the top down versions of the game. I remember trying one of the first couple iterations of the 3D versions and could never get into them. The 95 version I remember being really easy to score on, especially when I had to go down the rink to score instead of up.

The other big sport game I played was Links 386 Pro. Loved it. I played a couple of the Tigers Woods ones before they dropped them on PC, and I did like them, but didn't play any of them as much as I did Links.

Another old PC/Amiga sport game I played a ton back in the day was Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe. It was some handball/hockey hybrid where you were encouraged to tackle and injure your opponents. It was an absolute blast. Unfortunately the remakes were pretty lousy.
Old 03-15-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

A couple videos I captured on VHS back in the 90s, lol

Old 03-15-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On the PC, I was all about Earl Weaver Baseball II and Front Page Sports Football.
Old 03-15-17, 07:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Best game ever!!
Old 03-15-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn

The other big sport game I played was Links 386 Pro. Loved it. I played a couple of the Tigers Woods ones before they dropped them on PC, and I did like them, but didn't play any of them as much as I did Links.
I knew there was an old school golf game I was forgetting. Good stuff.
Old 03-15-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Madden 91 (or whatever it was called back then) used to show highlights from other games... That was such a cool feature that nobody has bothered to duplicate.

I also played a shit ton of Nintendo Ice Hockey... You choose a team of three from the skinny, medium or fat guy. Games were so simple and fun back then... I'm disappointed devs haven't learned that and given us RBI Baseball 17 with the old school graphics and controls.
Old 03-15-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
On the PC, I was all about Earl Weaver Baseball II and Front Page Sports Football.
Front Page Sports Football was truly ahead of its time. Loved that game.
Old 03-15-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Frankly, I like how sports games have advanced in the last 25-30 years with us now being able to play with real players and teams with near perfect sports TV broadcast quality.

But yes, Super Tecmo Bowl was a classic. I wish I could play it again these days. And no I don't do those Raspberry Pie machines. I'd rather see a developer make it for the PS4 or XBox One.

I know some of the newer sports games are probably too convoluted and complex for some of you.
Old 03-15-17, 08:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I do remember Tecmo Bowl, RBI Baseball and Double Dribble. Besides NBA Jam I haven't touched a sports game in maybe 10 years...
Old 03-15-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put this in the other thread by mistake so I'll put it here as well:

My friends and I would actually have rules in NHL and 94 and 95 either allowing or not allowing cheese goals.

My favorite sports team to use in any sports game of the 90's was probably the Oilers in Tecmo Super Bowl. I have a friend with a brother about 5 years younger than us. When I was around 22 one of his friends challenged me to a game when he heard me talking about it. I believe the game was turned off after I went up 63-3.
Old 03-15-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know some of the newer sports games are probably too convoluted and complex for some of you.
Complex doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 03-15-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

But yes, Super Tecmo Bowl was a classic. I wish I could play it again these days. And no I don't do those Raspberry Pie machines. I'd rather see a developer make it for the PS4 or XBox One.
There's nothing on the current consoles, but Tecmo Bowl Throwback came out for PS3 and 360 in 2010. It doesn't have an NFL license, but if you switch to 2D mode it looks and plays exactly like Tecmo Super Bowl otherwise.
Old 03-15-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I also played a shit ton of Nintendo Ice Hockey... You choose a team of three from the skinny, medium or fat guy.
I loved that game!

Played it all the time, until NHL Hockey came out for Genesis.

I also used to keep the stats on paper, since those early games didn't save them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.