Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Harmonix introduces DropMix

Old 03-10-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harmonix introduces DropMix

Link here

Spoiler:

Today, we’re extremely excited to announce DropMix, a brand new game that we’re making in partnership with our friends at Hasbro. DropMix is a fast-paced music mixing game where players create one of a kind mixes by playing cards featuring hit songs from award-winning artists. It’s completely unlike anything else you’ve ever played and we hope it will give you that same deep connection to your music and your friends that our previous fan favorites like Rock Band or Dance Central have offered.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kelkee; 03-10-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Harmonix introduces DropMix

So, how do you play DropMix? Each card in DropMix represents a different part of a song – like vocals, bass, drums, etc. As you place cards on the electronic DropMix board, which connects to a free app on your iOS or Android device, you and your friends will hear a custom mix start to take shape in real-time. We’re starting off by introducing Clash Mode, where you can either face off against one friend to play 1v1, or team up to take down two buddies 2v2. There’s a lot of depth and strategy to Clash Mode, but the core idea is that you earn points by playing cards and it’s a race to 21. There’s also an option to save your mix to your device, so when you’re playing and you’ve got those cards sounding just right, you can save it for you and your friends to enjoy.
DropMix will be coming out in September 2017, and we’ve got over 300 DropMix cards in store for the 2017 collection, across a variety of genres, so there’s sure to be something for everyone. On top of that, sometimes mixes sound even better when you combine cards that span very different genres! Take a look at some of the songs that’ll be coming to DropMix later this year
Old 03-10-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Officially revealed today, Dropmix isn’t played on a console or PC, but a physical board in conjunction with an app for iOS or Android. The game is about dropping differently-colored, NFC chip-carrying cards —each representing a song— into corresponding “Mix Slots” to create original mashups while battling other players for control over said mix. Green cards contain bass lines and harmonies, yellows have your leads (mostly vocals), reds play melodic loops and blues lay down beats. Each card has a power level between one and three, and the player’s goal is to score points by playing equal or higher numbered cards on top of their opponents’. You can also spin the “Equalizer” wheel to knock out a randomized level of card. Introduce a handful of wild cards into the mix, and you’ve pretty much got a sense of the game.
As we wrapped up, Ahn told me that the game would retail in September for $99.99, with collectible card packs going for $14.99 and $4.99, and my conflicted feeling worsened. On one hand, Dropmix’s tech was really impressive. On the other, the game felt too passive and simple to warrant such a hefty price tag.
Link
Old 03-10-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Yeah, I'm out.
Old 03-10-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On paper, this is not for me.
Old 03-10-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me either.

But this looks good for HMX as a business as far as working with Hasbro. This could lead to greater things if the thing is even marginally successful. More money into HMX's bank is always good.

Hopefully HMX could end up dropping PDP as a distributor/hardware manufacturer and use Hasbro for all things including RB.

Or we could end up with another DJ Hero.
Old 03-10-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Or we could end up with another DJ Hero.
I thought DJ Hero was pretty awesome.

What the hell are they thinking releasing this thing at $100? I'm sure it will be on clearance at Target for $30 in no time.
Old 03-10-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$100 for something that doesn't seem particularly interactive or "game-y" seems like a bad value proposition. I foresee another failure for Harmonix, which is unfortunate.
Old 03-10-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking like a hard no from me on this one.
Old 03-10-17, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved DJ Hero, and this is no DJ Hero.
Old 03-10-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Judging by all the info they released I'd say this has about a 1% chance of succeeding financially for them.
Old 03-10-17, 11:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I look forward to picking this up for $10 out of a bargain bin a month or two after release.
Old 03-11-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Harmonic should introduce the DLC they promised for Amplitude.
Old 08-10-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

New puzzle mode announced. They're also adding the equivalent of achievements. Both are coming August 15th.

The next promo card is the Power Rangers theme song. They're working on a way to get this outside of Power Morphicon.

The season 2 songs have a lot of Rock Band crossover, including Gimme Chocolate! by Babymetal and Heart of Glass by Blondie. I'm kind of excited about Soft Cell's cover of Tainted Love too. Coming at some point this year. No timing announced.
Old 08-10-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy shit, there was a thread for this?

We kept talking about it in the other thread because I couldn't find one. Funny part is I even commented on this one.
Old 10-01-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Went to Target today to pick this up for $30 on clearance; swung back around when I was ready to check-out and they marked it down to $15. At this price, everyone needs to own it. Anyone have any advice for the best way to get the cards easily and cheaply?
Old 10-01-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

You got very lucky then. 29.98 is 70% off. It's very unusual for Target to mark anything other than seasonal merchandise more than 70% off. If it doesn't sell at 70% off, they normally just ship it back to the manufacturer. I wouldn't count on many others getting the same deal.
Old 10-01-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
You got very lucky then. 29.98 is 70% off. It's very unusual for Target to mark anything other than seasonal merchandise more than 70% off. If it doesn't sell at 70% off, they normally just ship it back to the manufacturer. I wouldn't count on many others getting the same deal.
They had about two dozen units. Around here most clearance stuff that doesn’t sell fast ends up at Goodwill for an additional 50% off Target’s last price, so I’m crossing my fingers that’s the case here as I wouldn’t mind grabbing a backup/travel board.
Old 10-02-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note to self. Go to target tomorrow to look for spare board.
Old 10-03-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I found it for $30 at Target as well. Where do you get the cards?
Old 10-03-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Damn, my Target is still $50. I didn't even realize this was a Harmonix game or I'd have picked it up a long time ago.