Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on buying used Plasma

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-09-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a lead on panasonic plasma 65" GT50 model. What would be the best way to test it? What sjould I look for?
Old 03-09-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Need advice on buying used Plasma

I'd probably not bother with a 5 year old plasma, but that's just me.

You can look through the Amazon negative reviews to see what the common issues on this TV are:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...l&pageNumber=1

Also, check for burn-in:

Are you going to use it for 3D? Does it come with working shutter glasses?
Old 03-09-17, 10:05 AM

Panasonic stopped making plasmas in 2013. So i dont have nuch of choice on a 4 or 5 year old plasma. I think they are the best tv's still made today.

I probably wont use it for 3d. The tv also does not come with the glasses.

Some used panasonic plasmas are going alot of money...
Old 03-09-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Panasonic stopped making plasmas in 2013. So i dont have nuch of choice on a 4 or 5 year old plasma. I think they are the best tv's still made today.
Have you looked at OLED TVs?

I have a LG 4K HDR OLED with passive 3D. OLED has the same "deep blacks" as plasma, but are lighter and thinner. I feel that HDR is a big boost in image quality too.

Here's some articles and a thread comparing OLED and plasma tech, although since they're from a few years ago OLED has only improved since then.
https://www.lifewire.com/oled-vs-plasma-3276234
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ogy-is-better/
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...-guidance.html
Old 03-09-17, 12:30 PM

The plasmas have the best refresh rate. I dont think the oled come even close to that..
Old 03-09-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The plasmas have the best refresh rate. I dont think the oled come even close to that..
The "600Mhz" refresh rates of plasma screens is mostly BS; It relates to how plasmas adjust the brightness of their pixels, not how many frames per second they show:
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-600hz/

There is still some BS regarding refresh rates with 4K TVs though:
https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

Basically, if you get an OLED with a true 120hz refresh rate, the motion blur should be on par with your plasma, and may be better since the plasma is likely only updating the image at 60hz.

Edit: This review of the Panasonic TC-PGT50 mentions that its "true" refresh rate, i.e. how often it updates the image, is 60hz.
https://www.cnet.com/products/panaso...65gt50/review/
Old 03-09-17, 01:29 PM

So i read those articles and they are very interesting. So i looked up oled tv's.. the cheapest 65" tv i can find is 3k. Big difference then the $500 i can get the plasma for. I currently have 2 plasmas now.. one of them is about 14 years old(50")and the other is about 6 years old (60"). Both work perfectly. The only thing that concerns me is this burn in.. I have never had a burn in problem... are these newer 50 and 60 series tv'd more prone to burn in?
Old 03-09-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So i read those articles and they are very interesting. So i looked up oled tv's.. the cheapest 65" tv i can find is 3k. Big difference then the $500 i can get the plasma for.
Well sure, $500 for a used 65" plasma is a pretty good deal, but I wouldn't call that "alot of money."

The only thing that concerns me is this burn in.. I have never had a burn in problem... are these newer 50 and 60 series tv'd more prone to burn in?
I doubt it, but you never know how the previous owner was using it. You asked for things to look out for, so I mentioned burn in as a thing to check for.
Old 03-09-17, 01:41 PM

Sure that cnet article about the refresh rate makes sense... but its also a load of crap. The 600 hz maybe marketing bs, but as the artical states the plasma stil has a clearer picture. Although the 600hz is not real, its simulated
Old 03-09-17, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well sure, $500 for a used 65" plasma is a pretty good deal, but I wouldn't call that "alot of money."

I doubt it, but you never know how the previous owner was using it. You asked for things to look out for, so I mentioned burn in as a thing to check for.

I read alot of reviews on amazon of people complaining abiut burnin. I never had that problem.. I will try to look at the picture carefully
Old 03-09-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure that cnet article about the refresh rate makes sense... but its also a load of crap. The 600 hz maybe marketing bs, but as the artical states the plasma stil has a clearer picture. Although the 600hz is not real, its simulated
The article is from 2012, so only compares plasma and LCD. OLED doesn't have the same "response time" issue that LCD or LED-LCDs have.
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-refresh-rate/

OLEDs actually have really good response times.
http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_T...#Response_time
LG specs the OLED Response Time at 0.1ms, which is more than a factor of 10 faster than LCDs.
Old 03-12-17, 09:28 AM

I picked up the tv... its awesome. Still adjusting the colors

The guy also gave me a Polk audio soundbar 50 and it didnt come with any way to mount it to the wall. How do i mount this thing? I also was thinking i dont want to use the rear speakers on it.. should i leave them disconnected? Or can i splice them in? Then does anyone if the main and the rear are the same? Can i use tge rear as the main and leave the main disconnected as they are further on the ends of tge bar...
Old 12-10-21, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I picked up the tv... it's awesome. Still adjusting the colors
Stil have the Tv and if so how is it looking?

Call me crazy.
I never look for used plasma on Craiglist etc. But a few threads got me interested to see what is out there for sale and how much
I just bought a 2008 Samsung pn58a550 for $122. I just viewed a small part of a movie and checked the screen and overall condition of the set and it was very clean and show no signs of picture deterioration. Plus the guy selling it was not a tweaker.
This is my 5th plasma, first, one bought used, and all still going strong. Thinking of putting this one out on the back deck when it gets warm again and if it lasts a year or so I'll be happy.
Other Plasmas I own: Vizio 50" 720p, LG 50" 1080p and 60" LG and another Sammy or Panny 60"( it is at my dads house)

But I'm wondering how many hours are on this set. I got into the technical calibration menu screen by pressing Mute 182 then power.
I did a search and the hours should be on the left side of the screen, but I see just a menu. Any ideas?
Old 12-14-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Someone gave me a Samsung 40" Plasma for temporary use until my Sony showed up. The found the picture (connected to an Oppo 95 or a TV box) not real clear. My 7 yo Vizio LED was much better. The Samsung was much better than nothing, though!