Reload this Page >

Boomerang Cartoon Streaming Service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 03-07-17, 05:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...wb-1202003660/

Turner, Warner Bros. to Launch Boomerang Cartoon Streaming-Subscription Service for $5 Monthly

SVOD service will be exclusive home to new episodes of "Scooby-Doo," "Looney Tunes" and "Tom & Jerry"

Bugs Bunny, Scooby-Doo, the Flintstones and other cartoon favorites will play a starring role in a new subscription-video service version of Boomerang, from Time Warner’s Turner and Warner Bros.

The Boomerang internet-video service — which will not carry any ads — will launch sometime in the spring of 2017, priced starting at $4.99 per month. It marks the first time the two companies have offered the WB-owned animation library of 5,000-plus titles from Hanna-Barbera, Looney Tunes and MGM on a streaming platform. New and classic shows on the service will include “Bugs Bunny,” “Scooby-Doo,” “Tom & Jerry,” “The Jetsons” and “The Flintstones,” with content rotated weekly.

The Netflix-style subscription video-on-demand service is an extension of the linear Boomerang TV channel, which Turner distributes to some 144 million households worldwide and includes many of the same titles. The TV channel isn’t going away, and Turner is positioning the SVOD service as complementary to the product it sells to pay-TV providers — as a way for Time Warner to create new revenue streams from its divisions’ intellectual-property portfolios.

But Turner may irritate fans of the Boomerang TV channel by making the SVOD service the exclusive home for new episodes of three popular series: “Scooby-Doo,” “Looney Tunes” and “Tom & Jerry.” In addition, the Boomerang subscription service will host exclusive original series; the first of those are Warner Bros. Animation’s “Dorothy and the Wizard Of Oz,” a new spin on the classic L. Frank Baum tale, and “Wacky Races,” a reboot of Hanna-Barbera’s late-’60s slapstick-y road-rally series.

It’s the second SVOD service from Turner, which last fall launched the Turner Classic Movie-managed FilmStruck stocked with classic, foreign and indie movies, including titles from the Criterion Collection. Warner Bros., meanwhile, a year ago acquired DramaFever, which will power the Boomerang internet-video service and also handle customer service.

When WB bought DramaFever last year, the studio wasn’t buying the asset simply to get into its core business of streaming Korean TV shows. Rather, it was more about obtaining the underlying infrastructure that delivered those shows in order to create more over-the-top services. Boomerang likely will be followed by a string of additional OTT offerings to come from Warner Bros. Digital Networks, which also oversees Machinima, Warner Instant Archive, Blue Ribbon Content and the digital aspects of the studio’s partnerships with Ellen DeGeneres and LeBron James.

“We are bringing the best new and classic characters to kids, families and animation fans so they can now watch their favorites anywhere, anytime on any screen,” said Craig Hunegs, president of business and strategy for Warner Bros. Television Group who also heads Warner Bros. Digital Networks.

The Boomerang SVOD service will be available only in the U.S. At launch, it will be accessible on the web and via iOS and Android devices for $4.99 per month (with a seven-day free trial) or $39.99 annually (with a 30-day free trial). Turner expects to expand later to more platforms, including Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV.

Features set to roll out in the months following launch will include family-based profiles, personalized recommendations, download-to-go for offline viewing, Spanish audio, and interactive features. Turner and Warner Bros. said they’ll also explore additional distribution deals for Boomerang SVOD with a range of partners.

“Boomerang is a beloved brand that has always had multi-generational appeal and some of the greatest animated shows ever created,” Christina Miller, president of Turner’s Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Adult Swim, said in a statement. “Our ongoing partnership with Warner Bros. around this new premium service continues our strategy of making sure our fans are engaged with fresh and fun content whenever and wherever they want it.”

More info on the Boomerang SVOD service is available at Boomerang.com, where users can sign up to be notified of updates.
Old 03-08-17, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Boomerang Cartoon Streaming Service

I look at that image and I realize we live in an age now where even a drawing of cartoon characters looks completely staged and fake. It literally looks like they will all be fired if they don't look happy enough.

Aside from Taz and Tweety who clearly don't give a shit.

I literally thought that was guilt sweat coming off Scooby-Doo's cheek.
Old 03-08-17, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How many Looney Tunes were originally made and how many never made it to DVD?
Old 03-08-17, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How many Looney Tunes were originally made and how many never made it to DVD?
Anyone have the exact number? There were approximately 1,000 shorts and around half of them made it to DVD and/or blu-ray.
Old 03-08-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they need to re-master everything before they put on their streaming service,that will take quite some time. Hopefully the Looney Tunes are ready to rock-n-roll.

I heard that was one reason why Quick Draw McGraw never made it too dvd was because there was too much work to be done before they would be watchable.

A lot of the older western's on Epix streaming are barely watchable but they are constantly changing them so they don't want to spend the time and effort to make everything HD.
Old 03-08-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm really getting annoyed with all these little niche streaming services. Why can't they just ally themselves with an existing one like Netflix or Hulu?

I could see myself paying an extra $1 or so in addition to my current Netflix/Hulu bill if they were to add something like this, but why does it have to be it's own channel?
Old 03-08-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boomerang has never been available on my cable service.

I may check it out once and a while for the nostalgia of the shows.
Old 03-09-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm really getting annoyed with all these little niche streaming services. Why can't they just ally themselves with an existing one like Netflix or Hulu?

I could see myself paying an extra $1 or so in addition to my current Netflix/Hulu bill if they were to add something like this, but why does it have to be it's own channel?
Warner Brothers should have one big ass service that cover's everything. WB Archive and TCM should be merged along with Boomerang along with WB movies and TV shows.
Old 03-09-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

This sounds great but I've found when constantly paying for any streaming service, I have to watch enough on it per month to make it worth the price and often I don't have time. This is something I might get for a month if they've got something I want to see right away that isn't available on disc, then keep as long as I consistently watch it.
Old 03-10-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds good if you need 15-20 minutes of time too fill before your next streaming program becomes available.

Can't see me watching morning ,noon and night.

I would prefer the older Hanna Barbera cartoons.
Old 03-10-17, 09:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely agree with you all regarding all of these new, limited content subscription services popping up. Unfortunately, this seems to be the way things are trending towards. I feel like services such as Filmstruck, Shudder, CBS All Access, etc. etc. are nickel-and-diming content consumers left and right lately for a relatively limited library of titles.

The problem is that if they get enough people subscribing to these types of things, what incentive do the content owners and distributors have to create an all-encompassing service that many of us would prefer? Like a Warner Brothers Studios service that covers everything, for example. There's just too much money to be made if people want to pay it.
Old 03-10-17, 09:47 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I feel guilty sometimes when I go a whole month without booting up Netflix or checking out HBO. I can't imagine if I had 4 or 5 more streaming services that I ignored when life is happening instead of TV.
Old 03-10-17, 10:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I feel guilty sometimes when I go a whole month without booting up Netflix or checking out HBO. I can't imagine if I had 4 or 5 more streaming services that I ignored when life is happening instead of TV.
Identify with that guilt. To help, created a personal checklist so that I watch at least one item a month in my various subscription services or collection niches. Mine is geared for the monthly Challenges here, but I'd still do it without them.

Helps me feel less guilty when I pay my bills.
Old 04-11-17, 04:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's now live. No Roku or Amazon app yet. Looks like only Android and iOS

https://www.boomerang.com/

You can see what's available on the website. I feel like there is still a lot of classic cartoon shows they could add like their huge Hanna Barbera library.
Old 04-11-17, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I signed up for the year but will see how often I use it during my one month trial. I've only looked through the selection and the quantity is disappointing. It's mostly stuff that's already on DVD.
Old 04-25-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have they made any additions lately and is it still worth 5 dollars a month?

Seems very overpriced because of the large size of the WB animation library(that includes Hanna Barbera and DC Animation) which isn't being shown?
Old 04-25-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Have they made any additions lately and is it still worth 5 dollars a month?

Seems very overpriced because of the large size of the WB animation library(that includes Hanna Barbera and DC Animation) which isn't being shown?
The line-up still looks pretty good on their website, guess it depends on what you're looking for.
Old 04-25-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't most of Popeye in public domain?

I have Huck Hound and Yogi Bear on DVD.

What do they have with Looney Tunes that hasn't been released already on DVD?

Looking for mostly stuff that hasn't seen the light of day on any disc format.