TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Still in TV mode here...

I watched my R2 copy of Man About the House. It was pretty good and a much better program than its US offspring, Three's Company. I also discovered the latter lifted several storylines from the original.

I also finally watched Galactica 1980. It's quite obvious why it was cancelled. They have the ability to time travel, have a wrist communicator which makes them invisible, due to lower gravity on Earth they can run faster, jump higher, hit harder then Earthmen, have motorcycles that can fly (and turn invisible). It's farfetched to the point of being rather silly and totally unbelievable. Stories are mostly improbable and frequently don't stick to what they put forth as the episode plot. It's very inconsistent. The best episode was the last which is really a episode about Starbuck and what happened to him.

I enjoy BSG, and at times have thought about Galactica 1980, but from the description you just gave, I think I will give it a pass. I always just thought it was season 2 of BSG, but it sounds completely different, and not nearly as good.
Old 02-12-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I enjoy BSG, and at times have thought about Galactica 1980, but from the description you just gave, I think I will give it a pass. I always just thought it was season 2 of BSG, but it sounds completely different, and not nearly as good.
If you come across a cheap ($5 or less) copy it's worth a purchase/viewing "just because" but don't expect much. It's mostly Earth-bound, literally, and the plots are fairly typical 80s cheese mixed with obvious, in-your-face, environmental messages. That wouldn't bee so bad if they were well done, but they are not.

In a episode where they partnered with a Earth farmer to grow grain for Galactica, along with a not-so-subtle subtext of racial tolerance, they plowed furrows with their hand lasers and sowed the seeds by jumping very high, scattering seeds while in the air, after which a flying saucer, built onboard Galactica, seeded the clouds so it'd rain. The cloud seed material included a special nutrient which would cause the seeds to germinate and grow to maturity in a few days. Of course this is done in a rural, although populated, area and is observed by the episode antagonist. Just defies logic.

At this point they also have a group of a dozen or so Galactica kids on planet who are posing as a Boy Scout troup. They bring all the standard, and bad, kid based episodes. Or rather "kids with super powers" type episodes as the kids, like the adults, are "better" due to the lower Earth gravity.

The series shows lots of missed opportunities and promise. I got the impression they really didn't know what to do with the series and were throwing stuff against the wall to see what, if anything, would stick.
Old 02-12-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been watching a lot of outdoor shows myself today, kind of a prep for next month, so like you Bob, still in TV mode myself.
Old 02-14-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I received my prize package. Thanks again to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for sponsoring. Cool gift bonus, thanks.
Old 02-17-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has an Xbox, the Xbox store is giving away Fairy Tale, Season 1, and Dragon Ball Z, Season 1 for free. This week only, since it expires on the 19th, but there might be a new freebie next week as this month is anime month on the Xbox store.
Old 02-23-17, 10:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also received my prize last week, thanks again to the host and GoldenWheels!