Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Suicide Squad (2021, W/D: James Gunn) -- News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-15-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Suicide Squad 2?

FEBRUARY 15, 2017 2:44pm PT by Borys Kit
Warner Bros. Courts Mel Gibson to Direct 'Suicide Squad' Sequel
David Ayer directed the initial outing.

Mel Gibson is mulling joining the DC Cinematic Universe … as a director.

Warner Bros. is courting the actor-director to helm Suicide Squad 2 and the sides are early in talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. No official offer has been made nor has any commitment.

Sources say that Gibson is familiarizing himself with the material. But the studio is not being passive and it also looking at other directors, Daniel Espinosa among them.

David Ayer directed the initial outing, which featured an all-star cast that included Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto. The movie faced some hurdles during production and was met with somewhat polarizing response, but grossed $745 million worldwide, enough to put a sequel on the fast-track.

Ayer is now developing a project that reunites him with Robbie and focuses on the female villains of the DC Universe.

Squad told the story of villains such as Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.

The fact that Gibson, riding high thanks to his Oscar-nominated war movie Hacksaw Ridge, is being courted by Warners marks a remarkable turnaround for the actor-director. His image took a hit in the 2000s after a drunk driving arrest and anti-Semitic comments, and he found himself losing studio work.

Gibson did nab a cameo in The Hangover: Part II - a movie being by Warners - but a backlash within the studio and parts of the cast ended with him being unceremoniously dropped.

But Hacksaw is seen as a major turning point for Gibson. His biopic of conscientious objector Desmond Doss nabbed six Oscar nominations, including one for Gibson for best director, and has made $164 million worldwide.

And he has found himself fielding a slew of offers, both from studios and indies. He is now in talks to join Will Ferrell and Mark Walhberg for Paramount's Daddy’s Home 2 and is reteaming with Hacksaw actor Vince Vaughn for the gritty crime indie Dragged Across Concrete.

He is repped by CAA.
Old 02-15-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Future DC Extended Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I wonder if WB is considering a rated R flick after Deadpool's success. An R rated DC film directed by Gibson is definitely something that would pique my interest.
Old 02-15-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The nice thing is that the cast is interchangeable so they don't necessarily need to bring Harley or Deadshot back (esp if they have their own movies now). Suicide Squad is a fluid bunch of villains. I didn't think the first one was particularly bad, but there was too much Will Smith to make it enjoyable.
Old 02-15-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I wonder if WB is considering a rated R flick after Deadpool's success. An R rated DC film directed by Gibson is definitely something that would pique my interest.
Agree 100%
Old 02-15-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety also says Jonathan Levine (Zombieland), Daniel Espinosa (Safe House) and Ruben Fleischer (Warm Bodies) other directors being considered.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/su...er-1201989606/
Old 02-15-17, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Very doubtful Gibson will direct it. About as certain as Warner's having their first bonafide hit with JL and/or WW.
Old 02-15-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

With the shit Gibson talked about comic book movies recently, there is no fucking way he is directing SS2.
Old 02-15-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The nice thing is that the cast is interchangeable so they don't necessarily need to bring Harley or Deadshot back (esp if they have their own movies now). Suicide Squad is a fluid bunch of villains. I didn't think the first one was particularly bad, but there was too much Will Smith to make it enjoyable.
If Robbie and Smith aren't in, who's going to carry the movie, Viola Davis? Unless they just have some spectacular casting of new parts.
Old 02-15-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah I don't know how you make a successful sequel to Suicide Squad without some big name characters to carry it. Harley, Deadshot, and The Joker are what drew people into the first film. Sure the Squad itself interchanges in the comics but that's going to be hard to pull off in a film unless there's a couple anchor characters to get people to want to see it.

As far as Gibson potentially directing I don't really know what to think. He's a good director but most of his films feel like personal projects he's passionate about. Not sure if I see him adhering to a mainstream studio film like this would be.
Old 02-16-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know Margot Robbie and Will Smith are the only A-list actors in the world. Well how about that.
Old 02-16-17, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said that? My point is what other characters are going to draw people in to seeing a sequel. Let's be honest Harley and The Joker were the draw to the first film. The only reason that Deadshot was is because of Will Smith. Yeah they can potentially get other name actors but even if they do I don't know who they'll be as characters that are going to draw the interest the first film did and make sense to fitting in with the Squad.
Old 02-16-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: Suicide Squad 2 (D: O'Connor) - news, rumors, etc.

No chance this will go R rated. They want to make sure that the same kids who enjoyed this the first time will be back for more of the same shit.

And i doubt Mel Gibson will end up directing. I know he has been trying to claw his way back into the good books of people and Hollywood, but even when his movies get good reviews they don't seem to be making mountains of cash. And in Hollywood you are only ever truly forgiven when you can guarantee making them tonnes of cash. They will end up employing a stooge who they can control and not have to listen to that much.
Old 02-16-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I can't take anymore witch dancing.
Old 02-16-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

I can't take anymore witch dancing.

Her hips don't lie.
Old 02-16-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No big news:

Mel Gibson Confirms ‘Suicide Squad 2’ Discussions With Warner Bros

Yesterday, it was reported that Hacksaw Ridge director Mel Gibson is in early talks with Warner Bros. Pictures to potentially helm the sequel to Suicide Squad. Later that day, Gibson attended a screening for his film in Santa Monica where he was asked about the news as he confirmed that he is talking with WB. He described the conversations with the studio as “It’s kind of a first date.”.
http://heroichollywood.com/mel-gibso...2-discussions/
Old 02-16-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@krolljvar while some might say he said he would never do a comic book movie, heard he is more intrigued by this cast then material

Will and Mel actually wanted to do THE ACCOUNTANT years ago but old regime didn't want Mel but shows how much Mel want to work with Will
Old 02-16-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's cute they think this is still happening.
Old 02-16-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah, who makes sequels to moves that only gross $745m ww.
Old 02-16-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if it happens it's not like Mel Gibson is this big catch for this type of film anyways. He's mostly known for historical type drama as a director. Not that he's bad but I don't exactly see him as someone who would be a top choice for a comic book film.
Old 02-16-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
No chance this will go R rated.
If WB is in as much trouble as people here are suggesting, they are probably grasping at desperate measures to win back faith in their product. And copying the success of Deadpool with its R rating instead of focusing on a good script, is exactly the thing we've been accusing WB of doing with the DCU.
Old 02-16-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh I dunno. With WB it clearly is more about the bottom line not necessarily letting filmmakers have the creative freedom to take bigger risks. Plus I kind of get sick of the notion that if something is rated R that it'll be better. Plenty of things can be gotten away with in comic films that are PG-13. If an R rating fits that's fine but the films still need to be good and with the way whoever is currently steering the ship that's not happening and an R rating isn't going to fix anything,
Old 02-16-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
No big news:

Mel Gibson Confirms ‘Suicide Squad 2’ Discussions With Warner Bros

http://heroichollywood.com/mel-gibso...2-discussions/
Watch out WB, on the second date Mel starts making his "bury you in the rose garden" threats!
Old 02-16-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It may end up with a R rated cut like BvS did, but honestly, who really cares? The new rating didn't exactly make that film any good either.
Old 02-16-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
It may end up with a R rated cut like BvS did, but honestly, who really cares? The new rating didn't exactly make that film any good either.
Sure it did.
Old 02-16-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn't the R rating that made that film better. We didn't need to see Affleck's ass in the shower, fuck said once, or some extra blood to make that film better. It was improved because there were some extra scenes that better fleshed out the story.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.