Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart 'site-to-store' pickup?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-14-09, 02:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

anyone ever do this?

i want to know exactly how it works and how long it takes from order placed to pick-up...

1. do they actually ship a product (DVD & music) to the store if the store already has the product in stock? that would seem kinda absurd.

2. if they do ship to store, how long does it usually take when place order to pickup?

3. do you go to customer service to pickup the item?

thanks for help.
Old 07-14-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Walmart 'site-to-store' pickup?

1. No idea, I've only used site-to-store for things they didn't have in store.

2. It's not real quick. 8 to 10 days the couple times I've used it.

3. Yes you do, with your paperwork. The pickup itself is simple.
Old 07-14-09, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
1. No idea, I've only used site-to-store for things they didn't have in store.

2. It's not real quick. 8 to 10 days the couple times I've used it.

3. Yes you do, with your paperwork. The pickup itself is simple.
thanks.
Old 07-14-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I used the site-to-store once before. I honestly can't remember how long it took for the order to get to the store (I wasn't in a hurry). The pick-up process was relatively painless except my recollection of having to walk all the way to the back of the store to get it.
Old 07-14-09, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it once. It took 1-2 weeks for the item to arrive at the store. You have to pick it up all the way in the back of the store, not at the customer service desk. When I did my pickup, this part of the store wasn't manned, so you had to page someone to come help. Then I waited as about five employees strolled past without offering any help. Finally the right person came to help me. The whole pickup took about 15 minutes.
Old 07-14-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I used it twice...once actually for something that was in store, but I had a code for Walmart.com and it was on sale on the site.
There's a sign in most stores at customer service saying "Picking something up? Go back there" or something.
Once I had the same experience StealthStratos had, it took forever to get anyone to even acknowledge I was there, then it took forever to get the right person.
The second time was fine; there was no body there, I hit the buzzer, they came out from back and helped me quickly and reasonably courteously.
Each time took about a week I think.
Old 07-14-09, 05:39 PM

wow. that sounds like a bit of a pain. my Walmart sucks anyway and add this into it, who knows...
Old 07-14-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the main reason that Wal*Mart does it like this is that they don't have universal pricing in their stores, even in ones in the same area. If one store happens to be selling an item for a higher price than walmart.com is, they're probably not going to want to give up their own stock to fulfill an order that someone paid less for.

Of course there's also the advantage of being able to sell stuff that the stores themselves don't carry.
Old 07-14-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I use it A few times to pick up some blu-rays and bicycle I bought online.

Usually takes about A week for my movies to show up.

I have no problems with the service.
Old 07-14-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

As far as your first question is concerned, yes, they will still ship it, at least at the store I tried it at. I picked up a cd in the store, and then noticed that it was cheaper online if I did a site to store. I spoke with the service department at Wal-Mart, asking if they would just pricematch their own website, and they said I would have to have it actually shipped to the store. It made no sense to me, and the $3 wasn't worth it to argue.
Old 07-14-09, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
As far as your first question is concerned, yes, they will still ship it, at least at the store I tried it at. I picked up a cd in the store, and then noticed that it was cheaper online if I did a site to store. I spoke with the service department at Wal-Mart, asking if they would just pricematch their own website, and they said I would have to have it actually shipped to the store. It made no sense to me, and the $3 wasn't worth it to argue.
yeah, seems absurd that they won't pm their website or any other store for that matter that has the item in stock in both the store and online.
Old 07-14-09, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, seems absurd that they won't pm their website or any other store for that matter that has the item in stock in both the store and online.
They do price match with an ad.......just not there own website.
Old 07-14-09, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
They do price match with an ad.......just not there own website.
i meant most stores don't pm their website.
Old 07-15-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine ordered a coffee maker this way... They only had the display model, and wouldn't sell it, and when they looked it up in their computer, it said they had six, but they never showed on the shelf.

Had the same problem, with no one in the pick up area, and it was LOADED with packages, took about 10 minutes to find it.
Old 07-15-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did it a couple months ago for a Step 2 playset for the kid. Took about 3-4 days.
Old 07-15-09, 08:36 AM

I used it once, but it was to get the online price for something I had already purchased at Walmart. Seemed to me that it took a while to get to the store (this was a long time ago) and I only knew it was there because I was following the tracking number. The "site-to-store" pickup area was vacant and it took a long time to find someone to get my item. Although once I got it I just took the product to the customer service desk with my higher priced store bought receipt and returned the item I just bought cheaper online in the stead of the item I paid more for in store.

I would've much rather priced matched their website and not have to have done it this way. However, I didnt notice the cheaper online price until after I had bought the item and was using it (PS3 remote control).
Old 07-15-09, 08:43 AM

anyone know about if you have to return the online item? can you just swap it out if in-stock at the store or do you have to send it back and repeat process?
Old 07-15-09, 10:44 AM

I can tell you my experience with Site to Store was not a great one. My girfriend ordered a something and it never arrived at the store, they claimed it got lost. So they gave us FREE 2nd day shipping and shipped it to her office. It ended up being broken so we went in the store to return it.

As long as you have the invoice and the item you order online does not say ALL SALES FINAL, then yes any Wal-Mart will take back things bought from the website.
Old 07-15-09, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
I can tell you my experience with Site to Store was not a great one. My girfriend ordered a something and it never arrived at the store, they claimed it got lost. So they gave us FREE 2nd day shipping and shipped it to her office. It ended up being broken so we went in the store to return it.

As long as you have the invoice and the item you order online does not say ALL SALES FINAL, then yes any Wal-Mart will take back things bought from the website.
thanks, but can you exchange for the same item if in-stock at the store?
Old 07-15-09, 02:52 PM

Atleast in the Wal-Marts near me YES.
Old 07-15-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

Site to Store offer is not available in Hawaii.
Old 07-15-09, 08:56 PM
Banned

I do not use Site to Store because it seems pointless when I can have it shipped directly to my home without the hassle of dealing with the store.
Old 07-15-09, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by wvtechs
I do not use Site to Store because it seems pointless when I can have it shipped directly to my home without the hassle of dealing with the store.
thanks for the input, i guess...but then you pay shipping. the whole point of sts is better price, no searching store and you don't pay for shipping.
Old 07-15-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I had a bad experience with this. I ordered a glider with ottoman (for my twins' nursery) via site to store for 2 reasons. 1. It was not in stock in the store when I went to look for it the first time, and 2. It was 10 dollars cheaper on the website. So I went ahead and did Site-to-Store.

When I got to the store to pick it up, the item that they brought out was not a glider, but in fact was a trampoline. It had a sticker with my name and order number on it. First I had to go through the ordeal of assuring the associate that it was not what I ordered, so when I finally got her to believe me, she went in the back to look again. Assuming she wasn't going to find anything, since some moron had obviously shipped the trampoline in place of the item I ordered, I ran over to the baby section to find that now there were 2 of them in stock on the shelves.

She got back and told me there was nothing else in the back for me, and if I wanted her to cancel the order. I asked since they had the item in stock, could I just take one of those? She said, no, because website inventory and store inventory is different. But she said could cancel the order, refund my money, and I could buy the one off the shelf.

I asked her about the issue of it being 10 dollars more, and she said she can't do anything about that. So then I proceeded to ask her, "So you want me to pay 10 dollars more because you screwed up?". She said it wasn't the store that screwed up, it was the website. I said I don't care, because it's all the same company, and they should honor the sale that they already made. After about 10 more minutes of arguing, she called her manager, and he gave the authorization for the 10 dollars off, but I still had to refund the orginal order, take the chair up to the front of the store, check out, and make the cashier in the front call to the back to get the override authorization for the 10 dollars off.

It was nothing but a huge pain, and I vowed not to use site to store again.

I also wrote a huge nastygram to the website regarding my displeasure with the experience, and I did get a call back from the store apologizing, but they didn't offer me anything to make up for it.
Old 07-17-09, 10:17 AM
Banned

The site-to-store is simple: All you do is order the product & set it up so they ship2store -- when it arrives @ the store, they send you an email that you ahve to print off and take to the store. Most stores I've been to have a "Site to Store" area in t he back of the store. If you go to Customer Service, they're just send you back there.

I've never ordered anything from their web site that I knew they had in-store, so I wouldn't know if they still ship something to a store that has the product in-stock

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.