Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I feel like an idiot for asking...Brackets for Existing Mounts

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-31-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the internet has offered me no information (or perhaps I'm not searching for it right), maybe somebody here will at least a little bit of information for me.

So I have a 4 year old home that I have lived in for about a year now. When we bought the house a year ago, it came with two existing mounts for televisions. One in the master bedroom and one in the upstairs game room. Now in the masterbedroom, we have a regular 32 inch television that we never saw a point to mount so we leave that sucker on its stand on top of a long dresser.

However, in the upstairs game room, I have spent the better part of a year (after we got downstairs completed) working on everything but the television. Making it a man cave more or less. Got all of the posters framed, got the couch....got the bookcases, etc. I am up to the point of where the 4k television is being delivered this Friday...yeahie! Ideally I would like to mount the television, a 55 inch television, weighs about 40 pounds from what I've read. The mount looks well affixed to the wall and I have positioned everything else around it. There is no bracket attached to the mount.

This is where the problem lies. Somebody gifted me a fairly generic mount/bracket for Christmas. The bracket portion does not look like it will fit my already installed mount which is ok. It was a gift after all, I didn't expect miracles with it...and I might be able to use it somewhere else. Not a big deal. But the issue is...what can I buy to use with this pre-existing mount? Obviously, the last thing I want to do is remove this mount. I would rather put my television on a stand and call it a day....though I rather not do this either. If it is something stupid, please speak up...because the internet seems to spend more time telling me that my mount is considered a fixture in the home (no shit, Sherlock) than telling me what to do with it. I'm pretty smart when it comes to electronics and understand everything else...except this mount/bracket jazz. HELP!

Edit: Found a picture on my phone...this is before I moved in. Sorry for the blurriness, but hopefully it helps.

Last edited by Kedrix; 01-31-17 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 01-31-17, 03:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: I feel like an idiot for asking...Brackets for Existing Mounts

1. The mount doesn't look centered between the two windows. That would drive me crazy.

2. Why not just use the new generic bracket/mount? Take the old mount off the wall, and put the new mount in its place. The old one should (should) only be screwed into the studs in the wall, so it should be easy enough to just swap out the mount. At least that way you know that the mount and bracket are paired properly.

otherwise I don't know. Good luck! I'm jealous! Share some after pictures once it's all set up.
Old 01-31-17, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
1. The mount doesn't look centered between the two windows. That would drive me crazy.

2. Why not just use the new generic bracket/mount? Take the old mount off the wall, and put the new mount in its place. The old one should (should) only be screwed into the studs in the wall, so it should be easy enough to just swap out the mount. At least that way you know that the mount and bracket are paired properly.

otherwise I don't know. Good luck! I'm jealous! Share some after pictures once it's all set up.
1. It's the angle of the picture I believe. I recently put up two Evil Dead posters on each side and measured them exactly so they match and it looks fine.

2. Well, honestly the generic bracket/mount looks pretty crappy in comparison to what's on the wall. It's a pretty nice mount. I will look however to see if it can be swapped out...though it's darn secure as I've mentioned. I really don't want to mess with it in that sense unless I have too.

And of course, when its complete, pictures will be put up. It's taken a while (honestly mostly because of my son who is now nearly two) and deserves a few photographs.
Old 01-31-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't trust brackets and mounts that weren't specifically made for each other.

I know it feels like a waste not using something that was given or found, but if you don't feel comfortable with what you have, Amazon had some mounts for $40. I think I would go that route before I tried something I wasn't sure of.

If you uncomfortable with trying to mount it, don't be. Just drill some pilot holes into the stud, then drive some lag bolts into the mount. The new mounts allow easy fine tuning for level.
Old 02-01-17, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I wouldn't trust brackets and mounts that weren't specifically made for each other.

I know it feels like a waste not using something that was given or found, but if you don't feel comfortable with what you have, Amazon had some mounts for $40. I think I would go that route before I tried something I wasn't sure of.

If you uncomfortable with trying to mount it, don't be. Just drill some pilot holes into the stud, then drive some lag bolts into the mount. The new mounts allow easy fine tuning for level.
I should have mentioned I am not a handy man . My skills are in software, electronics, heck stereo systems...things that don't require power tools, just wire & cables. I can figure out anything except those items found at your local Home Depot. It hasn't been from lack of trying, but just something I have come to accept. Maybe 20 years ago if I had somebody show me the ropes or help with a few things mechanically, but I never had that. But now at 40+...I just want to enjoy my new television.

Anyway, point is I do appreciate all of this information (immensely actually) but unfortunately there does not seem to be an easy fix. I'll keep up the investigation though and hopefully something comes up.
Old 02-01-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Can you screw in a screw? Not trying to be a dick, but that really is all that is needed here. Buy a new mount that looks close to the one that you have in size. Monoprice has them for about $20. First try the brackets that come in the new one on your existing mount. If you can pull on them without them moving, youll be fine mounting a tv with them. If they arent compatible with the existing wall mount, remove it and put the new one in its place using the same wall holes. the top holes will line up. The bottom holes may or may not. If they dont, mount the mount with the top screws, and get it lined up where you want it. mark the bottom mounting holes with a pencil by tracing the edge of the hole all the way around. Make sure you are lining them up directly below the top ones that are being used. Remove the mount. You should have two pencil ovals directly in line with your existing bottom wall holes. Get someone that knows how to use, and has, a drill to drill two holes in the pencil ovals. Mount the new bracket using the top holes and new bottom holes.
Old 02-01-17, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Can you screw in a screw? Not trying to be a dick, but that really is all that is needed here. Buy a new mount that looks close to the one that you have in size. Monoprice has them for about $20. First try the brackets that come in the new one on your existing mount. If you can pull on them without them moving, youll be fine mounting a tv with them. If they arent compatible with the existing wall mount, remove it and put the new one in its place using the same wall holes. the top holes will line up. The bottom holes may or may not. If they dont, mount the mount with the top screws, and get it lined up where you want it. mark the bottom mounting holes with a pencil by tracing the edge of the hole all the way around. Make sure you are lining them up directly below the top ones that are being used. Remove the mount. You should have two pencil ovals directly in line with your existing bottom wall holes. Get someone that knows how to use, and has, a drill to drill two holes in the pencil ovals. Mount the new bracket using the top holes and new bottom holes.
You are far from being an Ahole, this was very helpful. Thank you, and this makes a lot of sense actually and gives me some new direction. I needed somebody to just break it down in the brass tax so to speak, even if it made me personally sound like an idiot.

Edit: Selected this mount (and some new cables while I was at it). I measured it last night, and it fits the width exactly and the length is pretty close (just a little longer across). So fingers crossed https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by Kedrix; 02-02-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-03-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
You are far from being an Ahole, this was very helpful. Thank you, and this makes a lot of sense actually and gives me some new direction. I needed somebody to just break it down in the brass tax so to speak, even if it made me personally sound like an idiot.

Edit: Selected this mount (and some new cables while I was at it). I measured it last night, and it fits the width exactly and the length is pretty close (just a little longer across). So fingers crossed https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
It really wasn't my intention to make you feel like an idiot, but it really is an easy job. All the "hard" work has been done already for you, now you just need to maybe swap out some pieces. Glad I could help you out.
I have used that exact mount before, and it is a good one. You should be good to go.