Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Testing old TV, maybe get new LG?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-21-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 58" Panasonic plasma that I love. I have noticed though that in the last couple months it has started to grow darker. I turned up the brilliance so it still looks OK.

Anyone know how long you have once they start going?
Is there a way to test the output to make certain it is indeed going dim? Maybe it's just my eyes. It will help when it comes to the wife because she says it looks fine.

I like the idea of the OLED versus the LCD/LED. But it is so hard to tell in the stores since everything is cranked so high. I was told LG makes the only OLED.

I'm looking at the basic LG 65" 4K for $3000. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-21-17, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Testing old TV, maybe get new LG?

I recall reading the earlier plasmas had a lifespan of 60,000 hours, but the ones made before they were discontinued was pushing closer to 100,000 hours. However on the newer ones, they were going out before then. I never got one, so I'm not sure how to test that.

LG does make only OLED now. That model is very good and has all of the bells and whistles. My only recommendation would be to wait until April or so to see if the price drops any further since the 2017 models just announced will go on sale. No major changes in models other than that 3D has been completely dropped - if that's an issue for you. But that 2016 model you listed does not have 3D. If you wanted 3D, you'll need to go for the 2016 C6 model (curved screen), or E6 model.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-21-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-21-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine in February of 08 so coming up on 9 years in a couple weeks. At 60,000 hours over 9 years that's over 18 hours a day which I am nowhere near. We probably do 5 hours a day on average. I have had to turn up the brilliance a couple times in the last few months though. It just looks dull. Wish they had an easy to use light meter, just like you can get a decibel meter.
Old 01-21-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

It gets dimmer at the half way point, so at about 30,000. 60,000 hours is the total lifespan.
Old 01-28-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Tres, maybe you or someone can answer a question. I have my TV mounted on the wall, cable box, Samsung UHD player and HD DVD player going to the TV and an optical going from TV to the receiver (a 2008 Yamaha vsx 91) With the BR player set to PCM all I am getting is 2 channel stereo. If I set to bitstream I get DTS. I should be getting DolbyTrueHD though. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-17, 05:42 PM
Banned by request

Setting it to bitstream should process it as Dolby TrueHD. But can you verify the model of your receiver? I thought only Pioneer had VSX models. I looked up Yamaha, but didn't come up with anything
Old 01-28-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason I had Yamaha on the brain. It is a Pioneer Elite vsx91
Old 01-28-17, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Thanks. I think based on your setup, the optical is downgrading it to just DTS. If you can, connect the BR player to your receiver via HDMI. It looks like your model of receiver has a couple of HDMI inputs. Try that and I'm guessing you'll get the Dolby TrueHD signal.
Old 01-28-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But the receiver doesn't have 4k pass through and is already going to the TV. I used to be hooked direct to the receiver via HDMI and the Dolby TRUEHD worked. If I end up having to change receivers then so be it, but damn I spent a shitload of time feeding all the wires through the wall from the entertainment center to the TV.
Old 01-28-17, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, that's the crap part. Based on the age of your receiver, you can play mostly updated HD sound, but you'll be sacrificing the 4K picture. Optical doesn't process HD sound, only SD surround.
Old 01-28-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yep, no Dolby TruHD or DTS HD Master audio can be carried by optical.

You might try this, which lets you feed one HDMI in & 2 out. Send one to TV and one to receiver. Seems to support 4K

HDMI splitter
Old 01-29-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found where I had made a mistake. In another thread Adam Tyner told me there was a secondary hdmi out for audio only. I hooked that up and the Dolby TRUEHD works fine. The only problem is when switching devices I will now have to switch both the TV to the correct hdmi input AND switch the receiver from the optical to hdmi. For the HD DVD player, since I'm going to have to have switching through the receiver anyway, I can go back to running it right through the receiver.

Thanks for the help.

Now I just have to figure out my remote. I have an older Harmony remote and it won't learn any of the LG functions.
Old 01-30-17, 08:23 AM
Banned by request

Ah, glad you were able to solve that issue. Yeah, totally missed that you have a UHD player, they have the second HDMI's you can port audio from. But since you have the full 4K, you should consider down the road getting a receiver that can process it. That way you can hook everything up through it and not the TV.
Old 01-30-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably will at some point. My next investment is a new universal remote. Mine is pretty old and it won't take the programming from the blue-tooth remote the LG uses. Thanks for the help