Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a media cabinet

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-15-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking for a new media cabinet to store my CDs and video games. Currently, I have them stored in an Atlantic Elite cabinet (like this), although I've never really cared for this unit because the shelves aren't adjustable and the sides only cover half the shelf, so I'm always paranoid my stuff will fall out if the shelf is bumped.

This unit caught my eye on Amazon. The sliding doors look nice and would protect the media from dust, which is a plus since it would be going in my basement where apparently everything is a dust magnet, even with me vacuuming once a week. However, the reviews have me a little hesitant on purchasing it because many point out the cabinet is built with "cheap" materials.

Anyone who has owned or seen one of these in person, if you could chime in with your opinion, I'd appreciate it. Suggestions are welcome, if you know of a better cabinet, one that wouldn't break the bank of course.
Old 01-15-17, 10:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Looking for a media cabinet

I have 4 of these. I purchased 2 of them from homedecorators.com. I liked them so much, I wanted 2 more but they discontinued it. So I built the other 2. These hold over 500 blus and DVD's, and have adjustable shelves. This picture is one of the ones I built.

Unless you are really good at woodworking (I'm not but I miraculously made them work), I would suggest looking at wayfair.com. They have a really big selection of pretty good quality stuff. Also, IKEA has a few good media cabinets. Their Billy cabinet is good, but doesn't have doors, but you can add them for an extra cost.
Old 01-15-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pic's not showing.

Those two sites have some nice stuff, but it's a little too pricey and fancy for me. The Billy bookcases look nice. I may check them out.
Old 01-15-17, 09:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Here's the link to the picture. The IKEA Billy's have had very good reviews.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sgB_y2nNtwELDy
Old 01-16-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got one of these back in August and it worked out great. No doors but it holds a ton of stuff and comes with extra shelves. Currently it's about $25 more than what I paid, but for the price it's pretty damn solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Triple-...arrister+tower
Old 01-18-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone try Ikea's Finnby bookcase? It's a little smaller than the large Billy bookcase, but for the price of one Billy I could buy two Finnbys.
Old 01-19-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently IKEA doesn't deliver to my area. That's the first I've seen a web store say it can't send me anything.
Old 01-19-17, 08:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe a friend of mine has the model that you linked in your original post, or perhaps an older version of it. They are pretty nice shelves and the doors have been effective for the 5+ years that he has had them. They are like anything else with the cheap particleboard type stuff. As long as you don't move them a ton, they won't break.
Old 01-20-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

They all look like crap to me, I mean, who wants a shelf made of particle board? Do you have a hammer, saw, nails, pencil, square and glue? If you do then go to Home Depot or Lowe's, buy some real wood 1 x 8's a sheet of plywood for the back of it and make your own. I recently did this and it took one day and then another day to sand and put finish on it. The shelf is STRONG! It's not going to fall apart in 2 years. The one I made is about 5 x 5 feet and fits perfectly into the space which I have - it was made for that space!!
Old 01-20-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by malazar
I believe a friend of mine has the model that you linked in your original post, or perhaps an older version of it. They are pretty nice shelves and the doors have been effective for the 5+ years that he has had them. They are like anything else with the cheap particleboard type stuff. As long as you don't move them a ton, they won't break.
That's what I was thinking when I read some of the reviews. If you put it together right, don't move it a lot, and don't overload it with stuff, the case should be fine. Some of the reviewers came off like they were either incapable of putting it together themselves or had no idea what they were buying.

Originally Posted by danwiz
They all look like crap to me, I mean, who wants a shelf made of particle board? Do you have a hammer, saw, nails, pencil, square and glue? If you do then go to Home Depot or Lowe's, buy some real wood 1 x 8's a sheet of plywood for the back of it and make your own. I recently did this and it took one day and then another day to sand and put finish on it. The shelf is STRONG! It's not going to fall apart in 2 years. The one I made is about 5 x 5 feet and fits perfectly into the space which I have - it was made for that space!!
I've never had any problems with the other particle board media units I've bought. They never spontaneously broke on me. Seriously though, I know a media shelf built out of wood would look nicer, but if I need to devote an entire weekend to putting it together, I'd rather look at the particle board stuff first.