Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So why did fans turn on Sega and not Nintendo?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-16-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the facts. The Genesis built up a lot of good will when it came out and was even kicking the shit out of the SNES up until the release of Donkey Kong Country. Then the Sega CD was released which did OK but didn't light the world on fire. The 32X was a bomb, and the launch of the Saturn pissed off everybody and caused sales to suffer. When the Dreamcast came out, Sega was DOA between the launch of the PS2 and how much ill will they built up with gamers.

Now we have Nintendo. You can make a strong case that it's last good console was the SNES. The N64 sold well but suffered from lack of interest due to Nintendo wanting to keep using cartridges. The Gamecube was mostly met with apathy in the US being between the PS2 and XB. Plus a lack of third party games. The Wii was a success but not received well by gamers because of boring gameplay and a library that was 85% shovel ware. No one gave a crap about the WIU because it was an underpowered gimmick. On top of that it had no third party support and was a bomb. On top of that you have their artificial scarcity, the Amiibo launch, lack of good online play, the NES Classic fiasco, high prices for hardware and a terrible online incentive with the Switch. PS4 and XBO you get free games, the Switch you get to rent them for a month.

And yet, the Nintendo brand is still popular as can be. Hell, there getting their own lands in Universal for pete's sake despite the fact that people seem to have a lot of anger towards Nintendo that would napalm most other companies. So what is it? Nostalgia over the NES still? Desperation to still play Zelda and Mario games? Or do people just not care because it's Nintendo?
Old 01-16-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: So why did fans turn on Sega and not Nintendo?

Unlike Sega, who really only had Sonic under it's umbrella and even then had multiple games and spinoffs of questionable quality, Nintendo still consistently put out highly rated and critically acclaimed games for many of it's main franchises. So while a lot of their consoles as a whole may have disappointed in terms of sales or overall support, they still had games and properties that people really wanted to play which allowed them to maintain a supportive fanbase.
Old 01-16-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah, what Stan said.
Old 01-16-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was just a kid then, but I'm also not sure about the Genesis really kicking the SNES' ass even before Donkey Kong Country. I'd also so the nostalgia and fond childhood memories of the NES being many people's first console and video game experiences helped in the long run, with games like the NES Mario and Zelda games standing the test of time much better then anything from Sega.
Old 01-16-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll agree with Stan as far as the reasons go for the majority. Most of the little kids just seem to eat it up and will take anything with their beloved characters. Even worth standing in line for, which even as a little kid I was always confused by. Not to say I haven't stood in line, but never than more for 20/30 minutes. It's just not worth it.

However, personally...my ship has sailed with Nintendo a long time ago. I enjoyed Sega Genesis and the Saturn far more than I ever did with the SNES and N64. Especially between Saturn and N64...the N64 go take a flying leap for all I care. . Not counting the NES and SNES...N64, Gamecube and Wii games have NOT aged well.
Old 01-16-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sega dropped the ball with lackluster Sonic titles, even while their hardware was good (Dreamcast) but Nintendo consistently hit homeruns with excellent 1st party games on hardware that wasn't awesome but wasn't terrible either.

When it comes down to it, people buy games, not game systems.
Old 01-16-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't think it gets any simpler than this. I still look forward to playing Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc games.

When is the last time you cared about a Sega property?
Old 01-16-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sega went a little too far ridiculous.
Old 01-16-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

This:
Originally Posted by fumanstan
unlike sega, who really only had sonic under it's umbrella and even then had multiple games and spinoffs of questionable quality, nintendo still consistently put out highly rated and critically acclaimed games for many of it's main franchises. So while a lot of their consoles as a whole may have disappointed in terms of sales or overall support, they still had games and properties that people really wanted to play which allowed them to maintain a supportive fanbase.
Plus this:
sega dropped the ball with lackluster sonic titles, even while their hardware was good (dreamcast) but nintendo consistently hit homeruns with excellent 1st party games on hardware that wasn't awesome but wasn't terrible either.

= /Endthread
Old 01-16-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo didn't push extra hardware and try to support too many platforms/add-ons like Sega did. At one point Sega had the Genesis, Sega CD, 32X and the Saturn simultaneously. Nintendo wisely avoided that; the SNES CD was never released, and the N64 DD only had a limited rollout in Japan.

Their add-ons have been relatively minor, like the N64 Expansion Pak (which they even ended up packing with Donkey Kong 64 just in case you didn't have it).
Old 01-16-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Hmm, I think the Wii was the turning point. And as mentioned it all depends on the games though:

N64: PS1 may have had the sales but when was the last time anyone waxed nostalgic about all nighters at friends over a PS1 game ala Mario Kart or Goldeneye? I will say Crash Team Racing was damn fun though. If one were to make a top 10 list games of this generation, I'd like to think 75% of the list would be N64 games. With a lineup that includes Zelda: Ocarina, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64, Rogue Squadron, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X, Turok 1&2, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Star Wars Pod Racer...then more multiplayer guilty pleasures like WCW v NWO and the first two Mario Party games (before it was run into the ground), it'd be hard to slight some of these. Then there was this new franchise that seemed to come out of nowhere called Smash Bros. that did alright. So many great games on this underrated system that always seems to get slighted in topics like this one.

Gamecube: sold neck and neck with Xbox and had the best controller of the bunch and some solid games. Opinion incoming: Wind Waker was the last great console Zelda game and Double Dash was the last great Mario Kart. It was also the last time we saw F-Zero & Wave Race. The GCN was also when we were introduced to the Pikmin and Eternal Darkness and the first time Luigi got to step into his own and provide some entertainment. Always loved some Monkey Ball as well.

Wii: just a few games keep it from being a failure for the traditional gamer. Mario Galaxy(s) are up there among the best of this gen. Metroid Prime was a revalation and also goes toe-to-toe against the best of PS2 & Xbox, and despite losing its luster, WiiSports bowling and tennis delivered for quite some time. ExciteTruck & Bots were extremely fun, BoomBlox & Zack & Wiki were solid. Kirby's Epic Yarn was just that, epic. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were popular. Epic Mickey was good. I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the lineup.

WiiU: Very mixed bag. I'd put Pikmin 3 at the top of my list, but I know it's not for everyone. New Super Mario was fun but kinda 'been there done that' after the 3DS game. 3D Mario World was 'meh for me(fun but forgettable). Mario Kart 8 was an improvement over the Wii game but still on a downward slide. The two Rayman games(Origins & Legends) were legendary.

Switch: too soon to tell but the first 9 months of announced games thus far doesn't look too promising. It's looking like an uphill battle to me.
Old 01-16-17, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Sega went a little too far ridiculous.

I actually owned all of those at one point. Spent way too much money on all those ridiculous attachments.

It's too bad that Sega went under as a console producer. I got many great hours with the Genesis.

I don't know why their next gen consoles Dreamcast and Saturn flopped so badly that it killed their console business.

Could anyone shed some light on why they flopped? Was it the quality of the games or the hardware that sucked?

I never invested in either console mainly due to not having the finances at the time. I was a really late bloomer to get into 16 bit gaming.
Old 01-16-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sega Cd was not supported with much of any quality software, then the 32X was released with few games and everyone knowing the Saturn was due out soon after. Most of the third party support eventually wisely moved away from Sega and eventually Nintendo as their was just more profit with the Sony PS.

Nintendo was capable of making good games themselves while Sega was a mess. Internally, Sega of America and Japan were not on the same page.
Old 01-16-17, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I actually owned all of those at one point. Spent way too much money on all those ridiculous attachments.

It's too bad that Sega went under as a console producer. I got many great hours with the Genesis.

I don't know why their next gen consoles Dreamcast and Saturn flopped so badly that it killed their console business.

Could anyone shed some light on why they flopped? Was it the quality of the games or the hardware that sucked?

I never invested in either console mainly due to not having the finances at the time. I was a really late bloomer to get into 16 bit gaming.
I believe the problem with Saturn was it was set to come out in a few months, then Sega announced at a conference that it was for sale immediately. Retailers were caught off guard and didn't have orders in and basically said "F this!"
Old 01-17-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sega had Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast back to back to back to back. Dreamcast was the only one that wasn't trash and it came out with the PS4 less than a year away. Wii U is the only Nintendo system that's failed on the level of the 1st 3. All the people gun shy about a Switch because of the Wii U, imagine if the Wii had 2 boondoggle $150-300 add ons that they advertised heavily so they really had a bad idea streak.

I was excited about the Sega CD, you could tell CD-ROMs were coming and it had some interesting launch titles, it tanked and there was no chance I was buying a 32X. Then the Saturn came I think like less than 6 months before the PS1 with no where near the power, no games on the horizon, and this run of failure. Then the Dreamcast came out with the PS2 on the horizon with this wildly successful PS1, which now had the Final Fantasy franchise in addition to the Sony franchises, and it was a DVD player? So now they've had 4 duds in a row.

Last edited by cleaver; 01-17-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

The Dreamcast is still one of my all time favorite consoles. I had more games for the DC than any other system I have ever owned. It's a shame it didn't have a long life. It was way head of it's time. I played my very first online game on the Dreamcast.
Old 01-17-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

He Saturn was also really expensive, wasn't it? I actually never got one, though I got a Dreamcast and still think it was one of the best domestic launches ever.

One needs only to look so far at Pokemon Go as proof of the popularity of the characters and IPs Nintendo has created or co created. Sonic games come out with little fanfare but mainline Mario titles always do well. And then they still have the portable console market. Plus Nintendo has usually been laser focused on games and above all making a profit, so they never really overreached with their systems and lost a ton of money.
Old 01-19-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

The Sega vacuum cleaner did them in

Old 01-19-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It just took longer.

Also, Nintendo has kept a high level of quality with most of their IPs.
Old 01-19-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I agree with most of what's already been said. I'd also say for Nintendo that even in weaker console periods like they've been going through with the Wii U they've still managed to keep the handheld market strong with the 3DS. That and the strong first party titles are what's kept them going. At the end of the day while I really enjoyed the Genesis it's the only Sega console I'd say is really memorable (I know others will say the Dreamcast but it died far too soon).
Old 01-19-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah it's the games. People will always be into a good Mario or Zelda game.

I think Nintendo should stay in their wheelhouse and stop trying to compete with Sony and MS. Create a cheaper console that's limited as far as hardware goes and just create those games that everyone loves.

And stop being gimmicky.

And stop fucking over customers by creating an artificial shortage.

Profit.
Old 01-19-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yeah it's the games. People will always be into a good Mario or Zelda game.

I think Nintendo should stay in their wheelhouse and stop trying to compete with Sony and MS. Create a cheaper console that's limited as far as hardware goes and just create those games that everyone loves.

And stop being gimmicky.

Profit.
This...

Also, my foggy memory tells me that Nintendo appealed more to the masses while Sega seemed to have a grittier game lineup. I remember playing Mortal Kombat (having blood was a big deal) and a shit-ton of sports games (Evander Holyfield Boxing, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, Lakers vs. Celtics, etc) primarily on the Sega. Platformers and 2-player games appealed more on the SNES.
Old 01-19-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The funny this is their "shortage" problem was the reason they lost the crown to Sony. The N64 was so hard to get a hold of that first year that most parents went out and bought the cheaper PS1.
Old 01-19-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The Sega vacuum cleaner did them in

Why are there two copies of Sonic and Knuckles?
Speaking of which, I thought the concept was brilliant, being able to modify your old games and such. I don't know why people give them so much crap about it.

And the blood in Mortal Kombat really knocked Nintendo down a peg for a lot of people. The SNES version was graphically superior to the Genesis except for the fact that the Genesis version showed the blood.

That was only one thing, but I think it was a sign of how the thinking at Nintendo was turning.
Old 01-20-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Why are there two copies of Sonic and Knuckles?
Speaking of which, I thought the concept was brilliant, being able to modify your old games and such. I don't know why people give them so much crap about it.

And the blood in Mortal Kombat really knocked Nintendo down a peg for a lot of people. The SNES version was graphically superior to the Genesis except for the fact that the Genesis version showed the blood.

That was only one thing, but I think it was a sign of how the thinking at Nintendo was turning.
That was only Mortal Kombat 1. If you remember, the SNES did allow blood in Mortal Kombat 2, and it was the superior version, as far as I remember.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.