Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Crime Story — news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-18-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/10/american...er-1201838392/

EXCLUSIVE: On the heels of the highly-rated People v. O.J. Simpson first installment of American Crime Story dominating the long-form Emmy categories with 10 wins, including best limited series, Ryan Murphy’s anthology series has been renewed for a third season by FX, I have learned.

Everyone is keeping mum on details but I understand that the title of the new 10-episode installment will be Versace/Cunanan and will examine the shocking July 1997 assassination of legendary designer Gianni Versace on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion by sociopath and serial killer Andrew Cunanan, who eight days later killed himself in a house boat as the Miami Dade police force moved in to capture him. Versace was his fifth and final victim.

Versace/Cunanan:American Crime Story, from Fox 21, will be based on the book “Vulgar Favors” by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth, with Tom Rob Smith set to write the first two and multiple subsequent episodes.

Versace/Cunanan will film virtually simultaneously with the second American Crime Story installment, Katrina, in early 2017. I hear that was not planned but happened when FX and Fox 21 executives read Smith’s first script and were so impressed, a decision was made to accelerate production on Season 3. Katrina, about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, will still air first, followed by Versace/Cunanan.

Murphy, who won an Emmy for directing the opening episode of People v. O.J. Simpson and is expected to helm the Katrina opener, will also direct the first episode of Versace/Cunanan, which I hear will film in Los Angeles and Miami next spring.

Also back for Versace/Cunanan are casting directors Nicole Daniels and Courtney Bright, who won an Emmy for The People v. O.J. Simpson. I hear the producers already are meeting with actors to play the title roles, and an A-list actress in negotiations to play Versace’s sister Donatella Versace, who is featured prominently in the story.

American Crime Story’s core producing team — Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson and Brad Falchuk — all Emmy winners for People v. O.J. Simpson as best limited series — will executive produce Versace/Cunanan alongside Smith.

American Crime Story continues to take a different angle on the true crime theme in each season while tackling famous cases — from a murder trial (People v. O.J.) to a human tragedy (Katrina) to a murder mystery (Versace/Cunanan). Cunanan’s motives to kill the famous designer were never established, with his suicide leaving the questions forever unanswered.
Old 01-18-17, 05:48 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
re: American Crime Story — news, rumors, etc.

I'll just put this here. Updates about the next 2 seasons being delayed. And idea for possible 4th.

American Crime Story‘s Hurricane Katrina-themed second season has experienced something of a rain delay.

At the Television Critics Association winter press tour Thursday, FX president John Landgraf offered an update on the network’s long-gestating follow-up to Season 1’s super-successful People v. O.J. Simpson, which has yet to go into production. In fact, there’s been more buzz about Season 3’s Versace installment.

Landgraf revealed that the Katrina edition has been pushed until 2018 for creative reasons. “We had developed People v. O.J. and we had material in really good shape ready to go,” the exec explained. “We had scripts we were really excited about. We have really high ambitions for this. It’s about character and larger themes. It’s just taking time, frankly, to get material we’re happy with.

“Also, when you’re shooting in New Orleans, you have to worry about hurricanes,” Landgraf added. “You can only shoot there during certain times of the year.”

As a result of the delay, the Katrina and Versace installments will “air within about six months of each other” in 2018, said Landgraf. “We’ll end up having a long hiatus and then we’ll get back on cycle.”
http://tvline.com/2017/01/12/america...miere-date-fx/

“American Crime Story” is reuniting with author Jeffrey Toobin for a future season, Variety has confirmed.

“ACS” producers Fox 21 TV and FX Productions have together optioned Toobin’s book “A Vast Conspiracy: The Real Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President” for use for an upcoming installment. The book pulls apart the threads of the Clinton sex scandal that devoured the late 1990s, framing it as a legal thriller surrounding Paula Jones, Kenneth Starr, and Monica Lewinsky.

The first season of “ACS,” “The People v. O.J. Simpson,” was based on Toobin’s “The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson.” That first season garnered a massive pile of awards-show recognition for the cast and creative teams, including a record 10 Emmy wins.

“ACS” currently has two seasons in production: “Katrina,” set in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and “Versace,” about the 1997 murder of Gianni Versace. “Versace” will be based on the book “Vulgar Favors” by Vanity Fair writer Maureen Orth. The “Katrina” season won’t air until 2018, but will quickly be followed by “Versace,” according to FX Networks CEO John Landgraf.

Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk will continue to executive produce “American Crime Story,” as well as Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson’s Color Force banner. Murphy also has the upcoming FX anthology series “Feud” premiering Mar. 5, as well as three forthcoming installments of “American Horror Story.”
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/moni...on-1201962950/
Old 03-20-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Penélope Cruz to play Donatella Versace in American Crime Story

James Hibberd@JamesHibberd

Posted on March 20, 2017 at 1:00pm EDT

Ryan Murphy has found his Donatella Versace.

The American Crime Story executive producer has cast Oscar winner Penélope Cruz to play the famed Italian fashion designer in an upcoming edition of his FX anthology series.

The Pirates of the Carribean and Vanilla Sky actress will play the sister of murdered fashion designer Gianni Versace in Versace: American Crime Story. In 2009, the Spanish actress won best supporting actress for her role in Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Previously, Edgar Ramirez was cast as Gianni with Darren Criss signed on to play serial killer Andrew Cunanan in the miniseries, which is based on the book Vulgar Favors by Maureen Orth.

Versace is expected to be the third edition of the franchise that launched to acclaim with The People vs. O.J. Simpson last year and will continue with Katrina in 2018. The Versace edition is also expected to air in 2018.

Lady Gaga, who won a Golden Globe for her part on Murphy’s American Horror Story: Hotel, was considered for the Donatella role, and there were even erroneous reports claiming she was cast. But Murphy shot that rumor down at the Television Critics Association press tour last January. “She’s a friend. But she’s very busy this next year — she’s doing Super Bowl and then she’s doing A Star Is Born and I believe that she’s going on tour. And when you’re going to do a show like Versace, it’s a five-month commitment, it’s a very big show, we’re shooting it all over the world. So I just don’t think with her schedule, I knew that it would never had worked. But I would love to work with her on something in the future.”
Old 03-21-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

They need to skip the Katrina series, I have no interest in that. But I'd definitely watch the Versace installment.
Old 03-21-17, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to thread crap, but I don't know why anyone would want to watch things like this.
Old 03-21-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I don't want to thread crap, but I don't know why anyone would want to watch things like this.
Well, you kind of are thread crapping. If you're not interested in this, why did you feel compelled to post in a topic/show you don't care about?

With the Katrina season being postponed until 2018, when the heck would the Versace season air? 2019? Or would they air 2 seasons in 1 year?
Old 03-21-17, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, you kind of are thread crapping. If you're not interested in this, why did you feel compelled to post in a topic/show you don't care about?

With the Katrina season being postponed until 2018, when the heck would the Versace season air? 2019? Or would they air 2 seasons in 1 year?
Both in 2018. It says so in that article above.
I imagine that FX pushed to get the Versace murder season in after Murphy told them about doing Katrina next.
Old 03-21-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks. I overlooked that part. Sounds feasible if they shoot them simultaneously. I could see Katrina airing in the Spring and Versace airing in the Fall of 2018.
Old 03-22-17, 10:30 AM

So I was thinking about this : It would be impossible to recreate the funeral of Gianni Versace the without showing the famous shot of Diana comforting Sir Elton John. Ryan Murphy is going to be making Feud : Charles & Diana and presumably shooting around the same time. Would it be too WB to have a little casting crossover? It makes sense in this case.

Last edited by Decker; 03-22-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Is the focus of this solely going to be on the murder of Gianni Versace, or will it follow all of Andrew Cunanan's murders and suicide?
Old 03-22-17, 10:43 AM

It will be based on this book :

So both I suppose.
Old 03-22-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I don't know anything about the Versace murder so I am definitely interested in that season.

I was also hoping they would reuse some of the actors for season 2. So much talent!
Old 05-17-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Katrina: American Crime Story (FX) - S: Quaid, Bening, Broderick -- Coming in 2018

Didn't see a dedicated thread for this.

Some cast announcements from recent months:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/katrina-...sh-1202096500/

Dennis Quaid will play George W. Bush

Dennis Quaid (The Art of More) has been tapped to play President George W. Bush in FX’s Katrina: American Crime Story, the second installment of the Emmy-winning limited series from Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson.

Katrina: American Crime Story will tell the story of America’s response to the devastating 2005 storm. Bush was strongly criticized for his handling of the hurricane’s aftermath, including his statement praising FEMA Director Michael D. Brown — “Brownie, you’re doing a heckuva job” — while much of America disagreed. Brown is played by Matthew Broderick in the limited series.

Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson serve as executive producers on Katrina: American Crime Story, which is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

From February:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/matthew-...ry-1201957091/

Matthew Broderick also cast.

Broderick will play Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Director Michael D. Brown, who was in charge of the federal disaster response to Hurricane Katrina.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/annette-...fx-1201903251/

Annette Bening also cast.

Annette Bening has joined the cast of FX’s Katrina: American Crime Story, the second installment of the Emmy-winning limited series from Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson. Bening will play Kathleen Blanco, the governor of Louisiana during and after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
Old 05-20-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Katrina: American Crime Story (FX) - S: Quaid, Bening, Broderick -- Coming in 201

I'm kind of surprised Ryan Murphy didn't get Kathy Bates to play Kathleen Blanco.
Old 05-20-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Re: Katrina: American Crime Story (FX) - S: Quaid, Bening, Broderick -- Coming in 201

Not usually into these shows, but the subject matter interests me ...
Old 05-20-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Hoping that Kanye West moment shows up!
Old 06-14-17, 12:37 PM

Re: American Crime Story renewed for two more seasons -- Versace Murder/Hurricane Kat

‘American Crime Story’s’ Versace Installment Pushed Up to Season 2 as ‘Katrina’ Is Delayed
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amer...ce-1202465046/
Old 06-24-17, 10:54 PM

Re: American Crime Story renewed for two more seasons -- Versace Murder/Hurricane Kat

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/219646971/default_default/index.html?videoId=5476595866001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Really remarkable that they're letting them shoot this in the Versace Mansion.
Old 08-10-17, 02:38 PM

I have learned that FX’s Ryan Murphy limited series Katrina: American Crime Story is moving full steam ahead, acquiring the book Five Days At Memorial by Pulitzer Prize winner Sheri Fink as source material. Scott Rudin, who had bought the rights to the book shortly after it came out in 2013, has come on board as an executive producer alongside the Emmy-winning ACS trio of Murphy, Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson. I hear Fink also is expected to be involved in the project, which details the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina at Memorial Medical Center in New Orleans, and the decision by medical staff, led by Dr. Anna Pou, to euthanize critically ill patients after being trapped in the hospital for days without power.

In a followup to her Emmy-winning turn as Marcia Clark on People v. O.J. Simpson: ACS, I hear Sarah Paulson will play Dr. Pou in Katrina, which is currently looking for a writer/showrunner to pen the adaptation. Katrina is expected to start production in the spring and premiere in 2019 as the third installment in the ACS franchise following People v. O.J. Simpson and the upcoming The Assassination of Gianni Versace.

Katrina was originally supposed to air second but the idea took longer to gel as the producers had been trying to figure out what part of the sprawling story of the Hurricane Katrina aftermath to tell, and Five Days at Memorial is giving them a story engine to do that.

“I’m confident it will air,” FX Networks CEO John Landgraf said about Katrina yesterday at TCA. Murphy has a “great idea for a pivot” and “now it’s in really good shape,” Landgraf said.

I hear Murphy had also pursued Five Days At Memorial, published by Crown, when it was acquired by Rudin and his Scott Rudin Prods. to adapt as a movie. I hear that the movie rights to the book recently lapsed, and Murphy approached Rudin who loved the idea about turning the book into a limited series.

I hear no other cast members besides Paulson are currently attached to Katrina but the producers would try to find new characters for some of the actors that had been previously earmarked for the project, including Annette Bening, Dennis Quaid and Matthew Broderick, to play.

In Five Days At Memorial, Fink, a physician as well as a writer, takes an unflinching look at the decisions doctors made at Memorial Medical Center, a hospital in New Orleans that was overwhelmed in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina.

The doctors, who lost electrical power and backup and were not supported by hospital owners who had no generator mechanic on staff or even an evacuation plan, were forced to make calculated decisions on which patients to save.

Some of those who were not expected to make it were shot up with morphine and left to die. This was four days into a devastating hurricane where generators failed, the intensive care wing sweltered in darkness and chaos and gunshots rang out in the areas outside the hospital. A day later, the entire hospital was evacuated.

The book focuses on an attempt to prosecute Dr. Pou and two nurses for homicide after an investigation showed elevated levels of morphine and other drugs in 23 patients who died at the hospital. Of those, 20 were ruled homicides. Fink won the Pulitzer for a dispatch she wrote as an assignment for ProPublica and The New Times Magazine in 2009.
http://deadline.com/2017/08/ryan-mur...ar-1202146468/
Old 11-01-17, 12:16 PM

FX has slotted Wednesday, January 17, 10 PM for the premiere of The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, the second installment of the praised limited series from Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson.

The 10-episode Versace examines the shocking July 1997 assassination of Gianni Versace (Edgar Ramirez) on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion by sociopath and serial killer Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss). Penelope Cruz and Ricky Martin also star.
Old 11-01-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Why is this one named after just one of the victims? The first season included the name of the (alleged) perpetrator of the crimes, not the names of any of the victims. Shouldn't this be titled "The Andrew Cunanan Murders" or something similar? Are they saying that the life of Gianni Versace was more important than any of the other victims?
Old 11-01-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Why is this one named after just one of the victims? The first season included the name of the (alleged) perpetrator of the crimes, not the names of any of the victims. Shouldn't this be titled "The Andrew Cunanan Murders" or something similar? Are they saying that the life of Gianni Versace was more important than any of the other victims?
They're going to go with what's more headline grabbing subject, and the book it is based on is "Vulgar Favors: Andrew Cunanan, Gianni Versace, and the Largest Failed Manhunt in U. S. History" which I think had a lot of focus on Versace (it was written by a regular Vanity Fair contributor). The first season was based on The Run of His Life: The People v. O. J. Simpson.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-01-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 12:18 PM

<iframe width="635" height="357" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WrXL4URRbTc" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-15-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I the only one not excited about the Versace storyline? It seems like a specific audience would even care about that story. I wish the Katrina story was this year. Most people are familiar with that and may not know much about the Dr. Kevorkian type of situation that resulted from that hurricane.
Old 01-01-18, 01:02 PM

Heads up :
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Amazon has S2 of American Crime Story: Assassination of Gianni Versace for $2.99 - probably a price mistake

https://www.amazon.com/Assassination.../dp/B078QPHJYM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.