Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-21-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey all,

Just a general question about the current state of technology when it comes to TV's and other current A/V gear - basically, is there anything new coming down the pipe that would affect current hardware compatibility? It seems like HDMI and HDCP versions are set for 4K, HDR modes seem to have been established between HDR10 and Dolby Vision (sort of), and audio with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. UHD Blu-ray looks like it'll be around for a bit.

So for someone that owns a 1080P TV and an older receiver, am I "fairly" safe upgrading my equipment in the next year? I know there's always something coming, so i'm curious if there's anything else on the horizon that's the next big thing or if things look like they're going to be pretty static the next few years at least.

I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade, but starting to get that itch looking at all the Black Friday sales, and even thinking of starting with a new receiver now before getting a new TV sometime next year. Anything I should worry about?

And TV wise, are we just looking at OLED as the next big thing to become more widespread?

Thanks!

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-21-16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 09:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: 4K, HDR, Audio, and New Tech

I think most of the dust has settled for 4k (HDMI and HDCP), but the tech is still getting rolled out. Case in point was the 4K Vizio I had bought, a 2015 model. While it was 4K, it did not have HDR. The 2016 model did include it. In addition to HDR, there is also Wide Color Gamut, which is preferable to have with HDR. The 2016 Vizio model HAS HDR but not WCG. So yeah, a lot of it is still confusing. In addition, OLED is the best - right now. 2017 will usher in stuff like ULED (Hisense based LED), more FALD, dot-quantum....and of course 8K in probably 3-4 years which will have little practical content.

My biggest advice is if you are going to buy one of the Black Fridays sales, is to check the model and what it supports. Probably go with 4K with HDR. WCG is something you'll have to decide whether or not you can live without it. Most 2016 models don't have it yet, they'll be upcoming in the 2017 stuff (along with HFR!). Currently only Vizio and LG has TV's that support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. So there's that, although I don't think Dolby Vision may survive based on current format support. I think OLED's will become more widespread, and hopefully drop in price in the next few years.

Oh, and if you pipe in your TV through a receiver, the 2016 receivers are all HDMI/HDCP compliant. I picked up a Denon AVRX6300H 11.2 receiver. And for my dollar, having Atmos almost trumps picture quality - almost.

Last edited by E Unit; 11-22-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-22-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks, i'll need to look in to Wide Color Gamut a bit.

I really like the idea of Dolby Atmos, but unless I can actually mount speakers on the ceiling is there a point in making sure whatever receiver I look at has it? I'm looking at an older Marantz receiver (NR1506 opposed to the newer 1606/7 that has Atmos), but in my apartment i'm pretty sure i'll never be able to take advantage of the positional audio like that, short of buying for the future versus saving a couple hundred bucks.
Old 11-22-16, 12:47 PM
Banned by request

It's just that I was surprised Atmos makes a real difference while watching a movie. But yes, you'll need to mount ceiling speakers, or get upward-firing ones. But the receiver only makes a difference if you plan on sending your picture through it. If the HDMI inputs/outputs aren't HDCP 2.2, then it'll downgrade any 4K content to 1080p.
Old 11-22-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I just have my eyes on an OLED TV. I still have my Plasm and it's going strong but when the time comes to upgrade it's going to be with an OLED TV and 3-D won't be a deal breaker, because I'm not impressed with it.

What sealed the deal there was the deal I posted that had the OLED and 4k UHD player for $1700 for '55 inch screen. I paid $1500 for my Plasma in 2009.

If prices come down within the next year I very well may pull the trigger on one.
Old 11-22-16, 04:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Worth noting is that, as beautiful as the LG OLED screens are, they have one drawback which is: Input Lag when HDR is enabled. It's apparently particularly bad with gaming consoles, since the LG sets don't have an "HDR + Gaming" mode, unlike the Samsung SUHD sets, for example. Knowing that the OP is a bit of a gamer, this might be something to consider before purchasing a 4K set.

Surely, the OLED input lag will eventually get better, but not likely in the current sets that are out there.
Old 11-22-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, i've read about input lag being fairly poor on OLED sets, plus they're a little pricey at the moment anyway.

I've been eyeing the Samsung KS8000 series which seems to be the popular gaming pick these days and also on sale everywhere the last week, which kind of goes back to my original question - if I happen to buy something like the KS8000, any new features coming up that will make me sad about my purchase?

Not that i'm in a rush, I'm still kind of in the boat where 4K content isn't really there yet and worth buying yet, just exploring options and thinking ahead.
Old 11-22-16, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Sounds like that TV is very good, according to rtings.com. Only drawback is angle viewing, picture isn't great when viewed from angles. It does have good HDR with wide color gamut, so you're good there, but no Dolby Vision (but really, you aren't missing much).

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

Last edited by E Unit; 11-22-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Just got my 1st 4K TV yesterday

This is the one I picked up from Best Buy yesterday for $299 + tax

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=5622308

Reviews seemed positive and the price was in my budget.

1st thing, I do notice improvement in picture quality even though my Directv Genie hardware isn't 4K ready. It's 1080i. The 4K ready Genie is the HR 54 receiver, but I'm in no position right now to upgrade, especially with a very full DVR right now.

I just bought a new Sony Region Free BD player this past summer, so I don't feel the need to purchase a UHD BD Player right now. I think it would be overkill to have a BD and UHD player right now.

The TV is also a Smart TV and I love all the apps. But, I also own a Roku, so it's kind of redundant in a way.

I may not be maximizing the TV's capabilities right now, but I think this is a good start.

Anyone care to share any thought regarding UHD and 4K streaming right now? I don't plan to upgrade to UHD for the foreseeable future, but what about streaming? I heard Netflix has some capabilities right now, but there is an extra cost.
Old 11-22-16, 07:37 PM
Banned by request

Netflix has the 4K tier at $11.99/month. Amazon has 4K/HDR stuff as well. The apps on your TV will be able to stream their available 4K material on their services. Both mostly have their original shows are almost all 4K. Unless you have a Roku that streams 4K (Roku 4, Premiere, Premiere Plus, Ultra), then everything will be downgraded to 1080p.

And getting a UHD player wouldn't be overkill, especially at this year's holiday prices. Especially if you can already tell a difference between 1080 and 4K.

Last edited by E Unit; 11-22-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 08:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix: I wasn't too impressed with the variety of 4K content. It's mostly the Netflix Originals and some other stuff. I'd say get that tier for a month and plow through what you want to watch, then go back to the regular tier. That is, unless you need the additional concurrent streams (I want to say 4 at a time). In my house, I'm fine with 2 concurrent streams.

Amazon: Different, but small selection of 4K stuff. If you have prime, you're already set up to stream 4K at no additional cost.

Vudu: I haven't watched any 4K titles yet, but there's a good amount of titles available for rent/purchase that are not on UHD Blu-ray at all, and may never be.
Old 11-22-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Sounds like that TV is very good, according to rtings.com. Only drawback is angle viewing, picture isn't great when viewed from angles. It does have good HDR with wide color gamut, so you're good there, but no Dolby Vision (but really, you aren't missing much).

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000
Yeah, I actually read that review a few months ago and one of the reasons i've been eyeing it for some time.

Still not sure if i'll actually pull the trigger though, I'm leaning towards getting a new receiver first. It sounds like the tech in any current 2016 receiver should be fairly stable for the next few years, no? Any new spec revisions or updates coming up as far as either video or audio?

The idea of Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers intrigues me quite a bit now.

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-22-16 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 09:12 PM
Banned by request

The audio specs are pretty much now set, and Atmos and DTS:X are the main players now. There is Auro 3D, but there's currently about 40 discs available that enable it, and of those only 3-4 that are movies. The rest are live concerts (opera and such). Auro 3D doesn't come with any new receiver, but you can pay $199 and have it downloaded to most any new high-end receiver.

But again, as long as your new receiver is HDCP 2.2, you're set for the next several years.

I do have ceiling mounted speakers, but from what I've read, the upward firing Atmos-enabled speakers work quite well in the right environment.
Old 11-23-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Is quantum dot the same thing as wide color gamut?
Old 11-23-16, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

Quantum dot is a new way of lighting TV's, like LED, OLED, etc. Wide Color Gamut is a way of extending the color palette in HDR. And while many TV's have HDR, most do not have wide color gamut, at least not in the 2016 models. 2017 models will see an increase of HDR with WCG included.
Old 11-23-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a good chart showing what the 2016 models are capable of. Most of the newer sets can hit 90% or better of DCI P3 coverage. Rec 2020 has a way to go though.

The big thing for 2017 will be HDMI 2.1 which will be adding dynamic HDR metadata. IMO this is a response to the calibration dilemma that HDR has become. It's literally on a disc by disc basis right now.
Old 11-28-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No input lag on my new LG OLED 55E6P, I play Xbox games with no issues.

Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K look amazing. I was also pleasantly surprised at how good my Direct TV looks. Currently using a 4K upconverting Sony blu ray player that also looks great.

I am still working with various settings but I have been very, very pleased with my purchase.

Best TV I have owned and that is coming from Panasonic plasma screens.
Old 11-30-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
No input lag on my new LG OLED 55E6P, I play Xbox games with no issues.

Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K look amazing. I was also pleasantly surprised at how good my Direct TV looks. Currently using a 4K upconverting Sony blu ray player that also looks great.

I am still working with various settings but I have been very, very pleased with my purchase.

Best TV I have owned and that is coming from Panasonic plasma screens.

Good to hear.
Old 12-07-16, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Speaking of new tech, looks like Sony will be releasing OLED TV's next year. They'll premiere at CES in January. Strange part is that they'll be using LG panels but incorporating their tech into it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#61cba8031307
Old 12-11-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Speaking of new tech, looks like Sony will be releasing OLED TV's next year. They'll premiere at CES in January. Strange part is that they'll be using LG panels but incorporating their tech into it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch.../#61cba8031307
Hmmm, and hopefully that will drive prices lower.
Old 01-03-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

What, specifically, needs to be in the TV description to work with an XboxOne S to play 4k streaming and the UHD discs?

thanks
Old 01-03-17, 01:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

to play 4K/UHD content at 4K, it just has to be a 4K TV, and you have to use whichever input is best for 4K. TVs usually have one or two labeled for that. My Vizio does, anyway.

If you want 4K HDR, that's a thing where you have to be a bit more cautious about what you buy. The 4K TV specifically has to say it's HDR capable. There's two HDR standards... I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience will chime in about that.

From what I've read, the Samsung SUHD sets are the best bang for your buck in terms of HDR quality. For Samsung, it specifically has to be SUHD (just "UHD" is not HDR compatible)
Old 01-03-17, 01:39 PM
Banned by request

HDMI ports need to be at least v1.4. This will support the 4K signal. However, if you have any plans of wanting to use HDR, at least one port will need to be v2.0a. CES is this week, so you will eventually read about plenty of new TV's that will support HDR. Right now it's limited. Some 2016 models have at least one HDMI connection that supports 2.0a. Just check the specs of any TV you may be interested in and it should list the HDMI's and what they support.

But as Dan said, you can have 4K and it not support HDR. I would research and get one that does. It'll really show the difference between standard 4K and 4K with HDR. My 2015 Vizio supported 4K but not HDR. The exact same model manufactured in 2016 added HDR. So it can be very confusing.
Old 01-03-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

yeah, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is announced at CES. i've been wanting for a big tv for our family room (70" or larger). i love my 60" plasma in there, but our new house family room is so much bigger, so i need a bigger tv to fill the wall.

i really wished OLED technology was a bit cheaper right now. and that you could get bigger displays. i know LG makes a monster one, but i'm looking like 70" for the sweet spot.
Old 01-07-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

HDMI 2.1

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/...w-in-hdmi-2-1/

Since the spec doesn't seem like it will be finalized until later this year, so I imagine we won't see equipment until next year? I held off on buying anything during the holidays, but I still have that itch... at this rate I think i'll wait and see what the 2017 models bring and if OLED pricing goes down.

That said, i'm particularly interested in variable refresh rate stuff, since I love that tech in PC monitors for gaming.

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-07-17 at 02:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.