Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Edge of Seventeen (Craig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Edge of Seventeen (Craig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5 stars
0%
4.5 stars
25.00%
4 stars
33.33%
3.5 stars
25.00%
3 stars
16.67%
2.5 stars
0%
2 stars
0%
1.5 stars
0%
1 star
0%
.5 stars
0%
0 stars
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-16, 05:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Didn't see a thread on this one and gonna keep this simple since on mobile, but this looks good. Steinfeld, I believe, has squandard her acting talents by becoming a singing pop tart as I call it. This could be her growing up from the shadows of True Grit. Shows her mature side and I seem to be a sucker for these coming of age dramas with wit...

Old 11-17-16, 12:46 PM

Re: The Edge of Seventeen (Craig, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

might actually check this out this weekend...
Old 11-17-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I hope to check it out this weekend. I will always have soft spot in my heart for teen flicks no matter how old I get, I always enjoy them. Kind of shocked its rated R.
Old 11-17-16, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the trailer for this some time ago. I'm really iffy w/ this type of shit. Most of it has heart but it's just crap overall. I'll wait for word of mouth for this one.
Old 11-17-16, 12:58 PM

94% @ RT right now...
Old 11-18-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

What The Flick review: both really liked it.

Old 11-18-16, 09:03 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I'm going to see this tomorrow.
Old 11-18-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks funny as hell. I might have to check it out in theater.
Old 11-18-16, 09:01 PM

Movie was excellent. Doesn't reinvent genre but it was well done. Great performances. Steinfeld was great in the role. Very understated Harrelson. One of those movies that make you smile a lot and get goosebumps at end. "Charmingly sardonic coming of age story."
Old 11-19-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Looks funny as hell. I might have to check it out in theater.
Saw this yesterday and voted 3.5 stars. I liked it more than "Fantastic Beasts" if that comparison is possibly worth anything.

I think they are being misleading with the advertising that is pushing this as a comedy. It is a much more serious coming-of-age story than the movies the ads compare it to (even Juno).

Hailee Steinfeld was excellent as Nadine. I don't know if she is a great actress in the making or if she is being over-praised (by critics) because she does not look like Taylor Swift and is not irritating as hell.

For me, Kyra Sedgwick as the mother was the weakest part of the movie. I thought she was miscast, for one thing. Could they find an actress who looks less like Steinfeld? Also, at the end of the movie, the mother's relationship with her kids is so important, but I did not feel the character was established well.

The ads are smart to put Woody and Hailee at the forefront. The scenes with the two of them are the best parts of the movie.
Old 11-20-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'd like to see this at some point. I usually like these high school coming of age type films. The previews have looked good and the reviews so far make it sound like it's worth seeing. Might hit up a matinee today or sometime this week.
Old 11-20-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I know nothing about this movie ... however I just came to say I saw a commercial on TV for it. Literally 2/3rds of the commercial was promoting James L. Brooks and his past movies. Tacky.
Old 11-20-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Just got out of it. I liked it but didn't completely love it. I think maybe because I had it built up in my mind based on the reviews that I'd like it more. It was still overall really good and worth seeing and it's something I'd probably watch again. The performances are good overall and the story is too for the type of film it is.

I felt like the Nadine character was relatable to an extent but I think the film almost goes a bit too far to make just about every situation she's in awkward. I felt like she could have used some more wins along the way. She was in a pretty shitty position but she made it more dramatic than it needed to be (although I guess a lot of people would react in a similar manner). Still the film ends on a good note with her realizing that life isn't so horrible and things will look up if she tries a bit harder and isn't down on herself and everyone around her all the time. I didn't like Kyra Sedgwick as the mom either. Just an annoying character who seemed too wrapped up in herself most of the film and didn't really seem like she wanted to deal with being a parent other than if it was for the son who was the more responsible person.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-20-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Saw this today. Steinfeld was good but to me the best part of the movie was Harrelson. Every time he showed up you knew you would get something golden. Movie only made $4.5 million but since it only cost $9 million, it will make its money back in a month or so. I will say that it had a nice 80s R rated John Hughes movie vibe , and even threw in a song by Spandau Ballet for good measure. Enjoyable, but if a blockbuster is what you want this season, go see one of them instead.
Old 11-21-16, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I saw this yesterday as well. I thought it was quite excellent. Steinfeld was fantastic. The music throughout was perfect... one of the best soundtracks of the year, easily.

It was definitely formulaic, with all the expected beats of a typical coming-of-age story, but I think the performances and dialog made it special. They did a good job of showing how differently she acted around different people, including the awkwardness around people she didn't really know (the Petland dude) and at the party. I'd probably give it 4/5, although I'm not sure how it would live up to repeat viewings.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I know nothing about this movie ... however I just came to say I saw a commercial on TV for it. Literally 2/3rds of the commercial was promoting James L. Brooks and his past movies. Tacky.
Very tacky, indeed. But this is what happens when the studio isn't quite sure how to market it, I think.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I think they are being misleading with the advertising that is pushing this as a comedy. It is a much more serious coming-of-age story than the movies the ads compare it to (even Juno).
Agreed. It's a drama more than it is a comedy, but it has a lot of both.
Old 11-21-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I watched this yesterday while my 13 year old daughter audition for a high school. It was the only movie starting at the time.

It was pretty good and yes, I agree Steinfeld was really good... her facial expressions were priceless. Her and Harrison interactions simply made the movie for me.
Old 03-20-17, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I watched this tonight and I really enjoyed it. Coming of Age films are my favorite genre and I would rank this the third best that has come out since the year 2000 right behind Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, and The Way Way Back. Steinfeld and Harrelson are fantastic in this. I would give this a 4.25/5.
Old 03-20-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

This is one of those movies where it could have easily become insufferable due to the actions and personality of the lead character, but the director, and especially Steinfeld, pulled it off really well.

Good flick.