Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify the name of this speaker plug?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this cheap Samsung subwoofer laying around that was part of a home theater in a box that I would like to use with a soundbar that accepts a 3.5mm plug for a passive subwoofer. I'm sure Monoprice would carry an adapter but I have no idea what this type of speaker plug would be called. Thanks!

Old 11-03-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can anyone identify the name of this speaker plug?

A picture of both ends of your plug would help. My guess is this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7146

BTW make sure you know what you are plugging into.

Passive subwoofers require external amplification. But the real question is the output on the soundbar line level or amplified? I assume line level which means you need to take that output to the input on an amplifier either internal in a powered subwoofer or external in a passive subwoofer.
Old 11-03-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Most of the Home Theaters in a Box I have seen have used their own plugs to hook up the speakers and subwoofer. Using A HTIB speaker on a regular receiver wasn't such a big deal, as you could simply remove the plug, but a subwoofer may be a bit tricky. I imagine you should be able to remove the plastic end, and get a new end and wire it up, but that is above my level of non-expertise.
Old 11-03-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cseyer
A picture of both ends of your plug would help. My guess is this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7146

BTW make sure you know what you are plugging into.

Passive subwoofers require external amplification. But the real question is the output on the soundbar line level or amplified? I assume line level which means you need to take that output to the input on an amplifier either internal in a powered subwoofer or external in a passive subwoofer.
The other end of the cable is connected to the subwoofer. It isnt detachable.
It is a passive subwoofer, which I was looking to connect to the amplified subwoofer port on the soundbar.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Most of the Home Theaters in a Box I have seen have used their own plugs to hook up the speakers and subwoofer. Using A HTIB speaker on a regular receiver wasn't such a big deal, as you could simply remove the plug, but a subwoofer may be a bit tricky. I imagine you should be able to remove the plastic end, and get a new end and wire it up, but that is above my level of non-expertise.
Yeah, I realized the connections are proprietary to the brand. I ended up cutting the end offf of the cable and splicing it to a 3.5mm jack to connect to the subwoofer output. However, it was so low and barely noticeable that it wasnt worth it so i scrapped the idea.

Thanks everyone for the help.