Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I start The Wheel of Time series?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Should I start The Wheel of Time series?

Old 12-15-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Should I start The Wheel of Time series?

it did seem like there should have been more payoff for the amount of build up.

Spoiler:
I didnt like how the Forsaken were able to return from death sometimes. Also, they had way too many various names so i had trouble figuring out which was which and what ones Rand killed. The whole Shandio (or how ever it is spelled) Aiel group was kind of pointless too. It started out as a weak, disjointed group but then suddenly had a bunch of Wise Women as was powerful.
I need to go read the WoT wiki and see what stuff i missed or forgot about, haha.
Old 12-21-15, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just taken up Winter's Heart (Book 9) after spending over a year away from the series. The break helped as I had just read two or three of the books back-to-back. Since I'm more than halfway through, I intend to finish the series.

I feel like this is one of those things in life that I want to complete to prove to myself that I can do it. Also, for all the flaws in the books (the characters' abrasive personalities, the lack of plot movement, the repetitive writing), I enjoy reading this series. It is a nice way to end an evening before going to sleep.
Old 10-06-16, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made it two books into the series before I couldn't read any more. I didn't mind how derivative the story was. What turned me off was the incessantly whininess of Rand al'Thor. When there's world saving to be done, I prefer my heroes to suck it up and do what has to be done. Perrin was kind of a boss in that regard, but he was very much a supporting character in those first two books. (I hear he receives more page time in future entries, but I'm not interested enough to find out for myself.)