Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

NewEgg has really gone downhill over the years

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-26-16, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the days when NewEgg was a new thing. Everything was real 3 UPS day shipping, no bullshit smartpost/DHL, and everything was surrounded by packing pellets in the shipping box. Now the only place you can get things packed properly to avoid damage is Japan. That had great customer service, etc. Now they've copied Amazon and turned into a bullshit marketplace site, with brain-dead customer service like everywhere else. The only good thing about ordering from them is that they're one of only reputable places to get games/electronics/PC parts and NOT pay sales tax. However, one of their more recent changes has ensured that I won't order anymore game consoles form them. The problem is, where else is there to order/preorder games/consoles that doesn't charge sales tax in every goddamn state? I have Amazon Prime, so that's cool, BUT Amazon doesn't use any goddamn padding to ship consoles or other electronics. It's ridiculous!
Old 09-27-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: NewEgg has really gone downhill over the years

Yeah I have to agree... I use them less and less as time goes on mainly as they no longer use UPS as their primary shipper. Hate FedEx with a passion.
Old 09-27-16, 04:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well for me, and I'm not a gamer so that part isn't important to me, I still use them for almost all my components and peripherals. I guess it's like everything else, change is inevitable or they die. I rarely need to contact service/support other than a couple years ago when a HD was DOA and that was resolved just fine. I just received a toner for my Brother printer and even with free shipping, yes it was smartpost (I think) but free is free so I can't complain. I do admit it's the mobile app deal thing that I always seem to check out.
Old 09-27-16, 04:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I used to buy all my computer components from Newegg, haven't bought anything from them in quite awhile. It seems like they're geared towards the latest and greatest these days. Just had a computer that needed a replacement stick of memory, Newegg doesn't even carry it anymore. Had to go to my other go-to memory supplier OEMPCWORLD to get it. If they don't want to carry components for older computers anymore, that's fine, I'll just go elsewhere. Their loss, not mine.
Old 09-27-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure that you can really blame NewEgg for any tax situations, as annoying as it can be having seen that from Amazon a few years back.

That said, I don't buy much from NewEgg either after previously relying on them solely for computer parts. Their prices basically just feel in line with other online stores, and the local computer store MicroCenter beats them significantly in many parts like CPU and RAM.
Old 09-27-16, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure that you can really blame NewEgg for any tax situations, as annoying as it can be having seen that from Amazon a few years back.

That said, I don't buy much from NewEgg either after previously relying on them solely for computer parts. Their prices basically just feel in line with other online stores, and the local computer store MicroCenter beats them significantly in many parts like CPU and RAM.
Read it again. NewEgg is still tax free for me. I'm blaming them for their fucking return/replacement policies. If an Xbox gets crushed by UPS, they expect you to go through Microsoft and end up with a refurbished piece of shit instead of a brand new console replacement quick and simple from them.
Old 09-28-16, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah, you were complaining about other stores not being tax free. My bad.

Is there policy on consoles really to just go through the manufacturer? I'd be surprised if they didn't actually accept an exchange for something damaged upon arrival. That said, I see so many deals on consoles that i'd be surprised if NewEgg is significantly cheaper even with tax.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-28-16 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

i don't know about gaming stuff, but for computer stuff, I often (but not always) find stuff cheaper at provantage.com.
Old 03-23-17, 09:39 PM
Banned

Everyone do me a quick favor and email NewEgg ([email protected]) asking them to add a profile option to opt out of ALL marketplace stuff on their website. I'm going to keep nagging them until they do it. It's a simple option, and it's a win-win for them. I don't want to shop other sellers or see their listings/prices on NewEgg EVER. I should NOT have to go through extra clicks to filter every search I do or find NewEgg's price on an item page because the other seller was a few cents cheaper. I don't care. I go to NewEgg to buy from NewEgg!

This was mine:
I want a setting in my NewEgg profile to always see ONLY items sold by
NewEgg directly. I NEVER want to see marketplace listings in search
results OR on item pages. I should NOT have to filter the search
results on every visit (at least cookie that FFS!), and I should NEVER
have to scroll down an item page to get NewEgg's price because it
defaulted to a marketplace seller. If I want to deal with marketplace
shit, I'll go to Amazon or Ebay. I want the option to hide it forever.
I've been shopping at NewEgg for over 12 years now, and I do NOT like
the direction it has gone trying to copy Amazon, etc.
Old 03-23-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It's been years I haven't shopped there. I even forgot they existed.
Old 03-26-17, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
Everyone do me a quick favor and email NewEgg ([email protected]) asking them to add a profile option to opt out of ALL marketplace stuff on their website. I'm going to keep nagging them until they do it. It's a simple option, and it's a win-win for them.
They'll never do it. A default option to suppress the marketplace listings would devalue it for marketplace sellers, causing them to move their effort and inventory to Amazon, eBay, etc.

Really, how hard is it for you to simply click the button to only show sold by Newegg results? There's an option to do it both at the top of search results and on the left-hand filter side.
Old 09-06-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Newegg is now charging sales tax to all states that have it.

Works out great as it makes me spend less money.
Old 09-06-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I haven't bought much from Newegg since the time they screwed up and sent my package to the wrong address across town and told me I was "fucked" that they wouldn't make it right, they wouldn't reship nor would they refund. They told me I could either drive to the address they gave me and see if the packages were on the porch and if not, knock on the door and see if the people there would be honest enough to hand over the packages, else I'd just have to rebuy them. This was on an order of over $300 worth if items. >_> Did not make me feel like NewEgg cared what happened past the point of getting my money. Luckily for me, I drove to the address they gave me and it was a vacant house being remodeled so the packages were on the front porch and I grabbed them. However it made me feel like I was stealing my own shit off someone's porch. I did not like it.
Old 09-06-19, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Newegg is now charging sales tax to all states that have it.

Works out great as it makes me spend less money.
I believe it's more they are now required to charge tax where it applies. Hey, they gave me a "free" year of Premier membership to compensate. Of course, I think it tries to auto renewfor $49 to $69 a year thereafter.
Old 09-06-19, 04:34 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I haven't bought much from Newegg since the time they screwed up and sent my package to the wrong address across town and told me I was "fucked" that they wouldn't make it right, they wouldn't reship nor would they refund. They told me I could either drive to the address they gave me and see if the packages were on the porch and if not, knock on the door and see if the people there would be honest enough to hand over the packages, else I'd just have to rebuy them. This was on an order of over $300 worth if items. >_> Did not make me feel like NewEgg cared what happened past the point of getting my money. Luckily for me, I drove to the address they gave me and it was a vacant house being remodeled so the packages were on the front porch and I grabbed them. However it made me feel like I was stealing my own shit off someone's porch. I did not like it.
Gross. That's pretty terrible.
Old 09-06-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
That's unbelievable.

Even if that was actually your package, I think it would still be illegal for you to walk up to someone else's porch and take it.

I wouldn't have gone looking for my package, I would have filed a complaint and chargeback with my credit card company if they pulled that shit with me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
John Pannozzi (07-15-22), story (07-15-22)
Old 09-07-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I abandoned them years ago and never looked back.
Old 09-08-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
I believe it's more they are now required to charge tax where it applies. Hey, they gave me a "free" year of Premier membership to compensate. Of course, I think it tries to auto renewfor $49 to $69 a year thereafter.
For me at least, their shipping has been rather fast as mostly everything comes out of California.

I think the only way I'm getting stuff from Newegg is via their eBay store, with an eBay coupon.
Old 12-10-19, 06:07 PM

I never know if I should revive old threads or start a new one but just received an email that Newegg is canceling their Premier Program. When they started to charge Gross receipts (sales) tax for New Mexico orders they offered a free year of Premier. Basically it sort of mirrors Amazon and their two-day shipping but with more limitations. Luckily I ordered stuff to build a new desktop on Black Friday week and was able to utilize the program for slightly faster free shipping. At least I won't need to keep an eye on my account and cancel next year before it automatically renews at $49/year!

We are contacting you today to inform you that Newegg is canceling the Premier program and is no longer accepting new members or renewals for existing members. However, we will be launching a completely new loyalty program soon that we think will benefit more of our shoppers, so stay tuned!
If your Premier membership is set to expire on or before December 31, 2019, you can continue to use your membership until your expiration date, at which time your membership will expire automatically.
If your Premier membership is set to expire after December 31, 2019, you may continue to use your membership until December 31, 2019. On that date, your membership will expire and we will then refund you a prorated amount equal to the number of full months remaining in the current term of your membership.
Should you have any questions about your membership, please reach out to Customer Service and we will be happy to help.

Sincerely,
Newegg Customer Service Team

Old 12-10-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least they're giving out a prorated refund.
Old 07-15-22, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I still go through Newegg for most of my computer parts. I just ordered a 18tb hard drive and it came loose in a box with a single sheet of air packs. WTF?
Old 07-15-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt
I still go through Newegg for most of my computer parts. I just ordered a 18tb hard drive and it came loose in a box with a single sheet of air packs. WTF?
Was the drive in a retail box, or a bare OEM drive?

I remember several years I read that people were complaining about Amazon shipping out bare OEM drives in nothing more than an anti-static bag loose in over-sized shipping boxes with no protection at all.

The one time I ordered a hard drive from Amazon (it was a 500GB portable hard drive in retail packaging) the fuckers sent it to me in a goddamned bubble mailer. I sent it back with a nasty note they probably ignored. The drive was probably okay, but I'm not going to take any chances with a hard drive.

Ever since, I've only bought hard drives at retail stores.
Old 07-15-22, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
Definitely WTF

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Was the drive in a retail box, or a bare OEM drive?

I remember several years I read that people were complaining about Amazon shipping out bare OEM drives in nothing more than an anti-static bag loose in over-sized shipping boxes with no protection at all.

The one time I ordered a hard drive from Amazon (it was a 500GB portable hard drive in retail packaging) the fuckers sent it to me in a goddamned bubble mailer. I sent it back with a nasty note they probably ignored. The drive was probably okay, but I'm not going to take any chances with a hard drive.

I've ordered a couple bare drives from Amazon in the last month. They all shipped properly.
Old 07-15-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Bare OEM drive

Every part of me wants to ship this back and make them ship a new one. But I ordered this specifically so I could preclear it and replace a drive in my server and have all that running while I'm out of town next week. It takes a good week to do that on drives this size and I wouldn't get a replacement before I leave. If there's any issues, they should come up during the preclear process, so I guess I'm keeping it.
Old 07-18-22, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Unfortunately that is no guarantee either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.