TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo -- Season 3 News -- Coming to FX in 2017

Old 05-20-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Fargo -- Season 3 News -- Coming to FX in 2017

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-896129

Ewan McGregor to Star in 'Fargo' Season 3

He will play two brothers, Emmit and Ray Stussy, at the center of the season three anthology.
Fargo season three has found its leading man.

Ewan McGregor will topline the Noah Hawley anthology and play two brothers, Emmit and Ray Stussy, at the center of the series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

A completely new story, the Emmy darling's third season will revolve around Emmit Stussy, the parking lot king of Minnesota. A handsome, self-made, real estate mogul and family man, Emmit sees himself as an American success story. His slightly younger brother, Ray Stussy, on the other hand is more of a cautionary tale. Balding, pot-bellied, Ray is the kind of guy who peaked in high school. Now a parole officer, Ray has a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he’s been dealt, and he blames his brother, Emmit, for his misfortunes.

Production on the third installment of Fargo is set to begin later this year for a 2017 debut on FX.

Season three of Fargo has been rumored to take place in 2010, following the events of the breakout drama's freshman season. It's unclear how or if it will tie into the events from the first run.

"None of the main characters from our first year will be back for our third year," Hawley told THR in December.

"As much as I love those actors and characters, the dangers of bringing them back and putting them through their paces for another sort of crazy case is that then the artifice of the whole thing becomes too clear and suddenly it just feels like we're doing it because it's fun and we like them, but we've broken our own rules," he said. "That's not to say that one of our stories might not intersect with characters we've seen before for a certain period of time."
For Star Wars grad McGregor, Fargo is his first TV series regular role. He's currently starring and making his directorial debut in American Pastoral and is in production on T2: Trainspotting 2.
Old 05-20-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fargo -- Season 3 News -- Coming to FX in 2017

"None of the main characters from our first year will be back..." Hmmmmm...

Personally I'm glad Allison Tolman and Colin Hanks (and their characters) will not be back. Let's see a new story with mostly new characters.
Old 05-20-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Hope he can pull off the accent!
Old 05-20-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that is certainly awesome news.
Old 05-20-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool story idea. Interesting that they don't name any of the other cast.

Oh, and.....can't wait!
Old 06-04-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Interview with Noah Hawley done by Alan Sepinwall. Hawley just published his first novel since Fargo debuted - Before The Fall

What is the plan for Fargo season 3?

I've got a script. Obviously, I've got an actor in Ewan, who's phenomenal. The writers and i have been breaking story, we have the whole thing worked out, and we're just crossing the T's on outlines. We'll start shooting in the end of November and make 10 more.

Ewan's at a point in his career where I'm guessing he doesn't have to audition, but did you at least ask to hear his accent?

I didn't. That's probably dangerous. But we've had good luck so far. I remember showing Jeffrey Donovan the first episode (of season 2), and it's him and Kieran (Culkin) and Angus (Sampson) playing brothers, and Jeffrey said, "So, am I the only one who's doing the accent?" Angus was just this guttural thing, and Kieran wasn't even trying the accent, but Donovan is doing the hardcore northern Midwestern accent. I don't want to focus too much on it, accent-wise. We have a dialect coach. So we'll find something that feels organic.

How'd you come up with the idea of him doing a dual role like this?

To be honest, I didn't know what I was going to do for the third year. And then I took a nap, and I had the story. And part of the story about these two brothers was that they should be played by the same actor. I didn't overthink it. I just thought that was interesting, and would be exciting for an actor, and it's great to work with actors of a certain caliber in the film world, and this is a great hook for an actor to want to play with.

With season 2, you knew certain things. We knew Lou, and Hanzee tied in with Moses Tripoli. This is going to be almost entirely a new thing. Is that easier or harder so far?

On a certain level, it's easier, because you don't have one of your hands tied behind your back. With the second season, we knew at some point Lou had to be sitting on a front porch with a shotgun, and then the house we got didn't have a front porch, so, "Alright, fine, he's sitting on the lawn." But when in the episode did that happen? There were all these things that we said out loud that we then had to work our way around in the story. Now, we're not tied to any historical moment or fact or connection, so the fun is, "How is it similar or different? How is it a totally different story, but Fargo?"

With it taking place after the events of the first season, have you given much thought to how much, if at all, you might want to incorporate the survivors of that season?

I have given that a lot of thought, yes.

Would you like to tell me anything about that?

No. It's fun to find connections, both literal and tangential, either between the movie, or the different years of the show, but the fun of it is to maintain that surprise.

Last year, you had not only the Fargo movie, but Miller's Crossing and The Man Who Wasn't There. Have you figured out yet what other Coen touchstones, if any, you might be drawing on with this one?

No, nobody's starting a dry cleaning business. I don't want to say it out loud too much. For the second season, the Miller's Crossing parallel was pretty obvious. But this tends to go back to Fargo. It's a more intimate story. It's not as much of an epic, doesn't have as many moving pieces. But it still needs to have enough moving pieces to allow a certain level of randomness. You know all these things are on a collision course, but you don't know which of them are going to collide.

Could one of those moving parts be a hula hoop, by chance?

Maybe. That was one thing I think people missed in the second year was my homage to (Hudsucker Proxy). In the Waffle Hut diner, they have a placemat with a circle in the center that says, "You know, for kids!"

I can't believe I missed that.

Well, it was bloody, and we pan across it, but it's there.

Is there a Coen movie that you've thought over this time, "It's going to be really hard for me to work in a reference to that," or are you determined over time to fold them all in in some way
?

No, I don't have an active determination. So I don't know. And some of them are kind of open to interpretation. Certainly, there's that moment at the end of season 1 where he's gotten Billy in the bear trap and is pointing the gun at the door that has a feeling like (Blood Simple). But they're still making movies, so it's hard to know where the line is. What I like is, when you make these homages or tell variations on these stories — when you bring three people to a cabin in a kidnapping story, and yet the dynamic is completely different — it creates this weird tension between a story that you know and a story that you don't know. Is it going to unfold in the same way as the one you know, or not? You're both reliving a story and watching a new story at the same time.

One of the things I like in common between Fargo and this book is that they can both encompass multiple genres, and jump among them unexpectedly. So suddenly one of your episodes is a documentary about Hanzee, and in this, there are these sudden jumps to a story about Jack LaLanne, or to the different kinds of lives the passengers had before the plane crashed. What pleasure do you take out of mixing these disparate elements in that way?

I think that structural playfulness takes readers out of an expected flow. You realize, "Okay, this book's going to do something different." Everything I'm telling you is important; it's just not being told in a linear fashion. Playing with that idea, again, of truth and fiction. This idea of a guy who survived this plane crash and wound up in the middle of the Atlantic, it just so happens that when he was a kid, he saw Jack LaLanne doing a stunt with boats, and he became a swimmer. The specificity of the details of it adds to the truthiness. Same thing in Fargo. Like, I don't know if the audience is going to go with me for a UFO story, but it feels grounded, as much as those things can ever be grounded, in the time period, and that level of paranoia, and after Close Encounters of the Third Kind came out. It was in the zeitgeist.

I love the parable sequence we did in the first year of Fargo, and the Goy's teeth sequence from A Serious Man. There's the plot — this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened — and then there are all the things you need to know to understand the story. And sometimes, the small details are really important, so you should take that as a departure.

Do you feel like if people are fans of Fargo and come to this book, they'll feel like they're in the hands of the same writer?

I think so, but I don't know for sure. It is a different medium and a different genre. When you take the crime story aspect out of it — they want to call it a thriller, but I think of it more as an emotional thriller. I had this motto for my show The Unusuals, which was "the cases solve the characters, not the other way around." I think I've found a way to have a mystery that is solved by getting to know these people, where the last 100 pages of it aren't characters reacting to the plot mechanisms, or "Now we have to run from the big bad." Everyone is on a collision course on some level, which is similar. It's dramatic, and comedic, and a little magical, I would hope.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/fargo-boss-on-ewan-mcgregor-in-season-3-x-men-spin-off-legion-and-his-new-hit-novel#CSVFX21Ql2CEcM2e.99
Old 06-06-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sounds like the idea for this season was influenced by Baskets
Old 07-11-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/440...s3-female-lead

Carrie Coon ("Gone Girl") has scored the leading female role in the third season of FX's "Fargo" opposite Ewan McGregor.

Coon will portray Gloria Burgle, the very practical chief of police in Edna Valley and a newly divorced mother. She struggles to understand this new world around her where people connect more intimately with their phones than the people directly in front of them.

McGregor will take on the dual roles of brothers Emmit and Ray Stussy in what will be his first TV series regular role. Production begins later this year for a 2017 debut on FX, and showrunner Noah Hawley confirms that none of the previous characters from the anthology show will be back for the third.

Coon is currently filming the final season of "The Leftovers" for HBO.
Old 07-11-16, 07:13 PM

Cool. I never watched The Leftovers, but she was my dark horse choice for Best Supporting Actress for Gone Girl. I thought she was phenomenal in that role.
Old 07-11-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Cool. I never watched The Leftovers, but she was my dark horse choice for Best Supporting Actress for Gone Girl. I thought she was phenomenal in that role.
It's almost fully an ensemble show so she doesn't get much to do in a lot of episodes, but she's done some pretty damn stellar work when her character has been front and center in the Leftovers.
Old 07-13-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. This just keeps getting better. Coon is a great actress.
Old 09-16-16, 05:38 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Mary Elizabeth Winstead To Star In ‘Fargo’ Season 3
http://deadline.com/2016/09/mary-eli...fx-1201821323/

I'm loving this cast so far.
Old 09-16-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Mary Elizabeth Winstead To Star In ‘Fargo’ Season 3
http://deadline.com/2016/09/mary-eli...fx-1201821323/

I'm loving this cast so far.
Love her in Braindead. So funny. So hot.
Old 09-16-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Love her in general, she's been a really solid actress for a while now.
Old 09-16-16, 08:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I've liked her more and more over the years. Not so much in Death Proof, but ever since. And great in Cloverfield...
Old 09-16-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah she's fantastic at those chamber pieces like Faults and Cloverfield Lane, she is really good on Braindead as well
Old 09-18-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who's bummed that characters from the previous seasons won't appear in Season 3. I really enjoyed Tolman and Hanks in Season 1. Oh well.
Old 09-18-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, add me to the list of those who love MEW...

(kinda hope she plays the heavy/bad-guy of the season)
Old 09-18-16, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Guess I'm the only one who's bummed that characters from the previous seasons won't appear in Season 3. I really enjoyed Tolman and Hanks in Season 1. Oh well.
It's a limited series. By definition it was going to have a new cast and new storyline every year (like American Horry Story, American Crime and True Detective). Unlike those, here the first two seasons were related by story, but yeah it's a different cast and we all knew and expected that. That is the reason that tonight at the Emmys Fargo Season 2 will be competing against other Limited Series like People vs OJ Simpson instead of Drama Series like Game of Thrones.
Old 09-18-16, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a limited series. By definition it was going to have a new cast and new storyline every year (like American Horry Story, American Crime and True Detective). Unlike those, here the first two seasons were related by story, but yeah it's a different cast and we all knew and expected that. That is the reason that tonight at the Emmys Fargo Season 2 will be competing against other Limited Series like People vs OJ Simpson instead of Drama Series like Game of Thrones.
I'd actually argue AHS is connected in full - because it is. The prior season alone brought Coven, Murder House and Freak Show. And the creators have said this season ties it all together - meaning their intentions are an interconnected plot.

But yeah, Ewan+MEW=awesomeness. I'm just still bummed we have to wait until 2017... but c'est la vie.
Old 02-22-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Carrie Coon just revealed the premiere date:

Old 02-22-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Awesome! Can't wait.
Old 02-22-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad it is on it's way, but all of these shows with slipping schedules (longer than a year between seasons) are leaving me with pretty thinned out viewing options. (Fargo, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones as examples)
Old 02-24-17, 08:32 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZYAFkmGORQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

April eh? Man I've got quite a few shows that are premiering over the next 2 months (Fargo, Better Call Saul, Bosch, Iron Fist, The Americans, Turn: Washington's Spies, Into the Badlands)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.