View Single Post
Old 09-06-16, 06:04 AM   #36
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 12th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Threa

Goals:
100 Movies
31 Different Beers

Legend:

* = FTV

Wife's Thoughts In Blue
[/size]
- Sept 30th -
1.)

The Blob (1958) (DVD)*
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Thoughts: Love that opening song! Big fan of the '88 version, but have never actually seen the original. It's strange seeing Steve McQueen as a kid and in a 50's monster movie that feels so stereotypical that it almost feels like a homage to the genre. Also a lot more comedy than I would have expected, the 80's version felt so straight in comparison.... except for... ribbed. A classic for sure but much like The Thing From Another World it is overshadowed by it's 80's remake. Man they should have remade more movies in the 80's.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-1.)

Samuel Adams: Oktoberfest (Massachusetts)
My Thoughts: Wanted to start out the challenge with something middle of the road, both room for improvement and disappointment. Smooth decent taste, not quite like a real Oktoberfest but close. It's not a bad beer just unremarkable. A good food companion beverage, drinkable but wont overshadow the meal or feel overly proletariat. Felt just about right drinking this while watching The Blob.
(3 out of 5)
2.)

Commentary For The Blob (1958) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A split track with the producer and a film historian. Well mostly the producer, feels like only about 5% historian. And I love me some film historian tracks. But the producer did have a lot of interesting thing so say about making and marketing movies back in the 50's. Also a lot of great remembrances about Steve McQueen. A little disappointed on his views of the remake but overall and above average track.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-2.)

Warsteiner: Oktoberfest (Germany)
My Thoughts: Mmmmm, that is good, especially after the Sammy. Light crisp, lovely caramel hint and a finish with just a slight bite mixed with flashes of grapes and leaves. The taste of fall. Kind of like driving a regular commuter car and then a driving a high end luxury car. And while I don’t like dropping high scores really early in the challenge this is an easy a 5 out of 5. I need to buy a case of this before the season is over.
(5 out of 5)
B-3.)

Boulevard: Funky Pumpkin Spiced Sour Ale (Missouri)*
My Thoughts: There is a strong pumpkin spice scent on top. And even though you have read the bottle and you know what to expect going in, it still surprises you to taste that weird sour cider taste. Almost like a weird soda, then that sharp sourdough aftertaste hits you. Buzz’s girlfriend, woof. I may get a hint of what might be construable as some sort of vegetable flavoring sometimes but aside from smell this pumpkin beer struck me as being relatively pumpkin free. This was a hard beer to get through.
(2 out of 5)
3.)

Evilspeak (1981) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Goofy, cheesy, 80's-ness, not a film I would have liked as a younger man or closer to when it came out but something that looking back that is highly enjoyable. Ron Howard's brother uses a Apple computer to summon demons to help him take care of the other boys that are bullying him. And there are pigs? Demonic pigs? Not a film you really want to explain to anyone but fun to watch especially a little drunk. And there was a surprising amount of over the top gore for an 80's movie. Glad I own it, and look forward to scaring my daughter with it when she gets older.
(4 out of 5)

- Oct 1st -
4.)

Gangs Of The Dead (2006) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: You know, based on the title and the cover I put this in expecting it to be a slam dunk 1 out of 5 movie, the worst of the worst, bottom of the bargain bin bile, disgrace to the art of film making. But it was surprisingly decent for a super low budget zombie movie. I liked the cut off from communication conceit being a super high LA smog day. And the set up of two rival gangs and some undercover cops being surrounded in an abandoned warehouse was an interesting one. And they even got Reggie for a day! It's by no means a good movie and does sputter out a bit in the third act but not awful, not awful.
(2.5 out of 5)
B-4.)

Coop: Oktoberfest (Oklahoma)
My Thoughts: Year two for this local-ish based Oklahoma beer is a little more on point for an Oktoberfest brew. Getting a bit of that caramel taste but the finish is too sharp. Bit of a hoppy laundry detergent afterbite to it. Ok, maybe not as good as last year. The finish ruins it taking what was an average beer down just a notch. Does get a little better as it warms and that detergent taste goes away still a hair below par though.
(2.5 out of 5)
B-5.)

Occulto (Missouri)
My Thoughts: Second year for this weirdo too. This tequila barrel aged blue agave infused cervesa has a really unique taste. Starts like regular beer but quickly turns into that weird cactus-y minty taste with hint of tequila. As I said last year, not something I would buy in quantity but and excellent pick for a day of the dead party. Damn… now I want tacos… but cant drive….
(3.5 out of 5)
5.)

Dylan Dog: The Dead Of Night (2010) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: The secret layer of society (i.e. vampires and werewolves living among us) movies are always fun if unoriginal genre film. This film was a bit mired by it's PG-13 rating but subject matter was enough to hold interest. Dylan Dog (played by disastrous lead of Superman Returns) is a recently retired paranormal investigator that is pulled back in when breathers start turning up dead. I liked the comic relief side kick but overall this film is just to broad and mainstream to be anything remarkable. Reminded me a lot of R.I.P.D.
(3 out of 5)

- Oct 2nd -
6.) - 10.)

Forever Knight S03E01-E10 (1995) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: My final year with Forever Knight, I will always hold a secret grudge against Big Lots for selling season 1 and then never the next 2 seasons! There was a lot of cast shakeups here at the start of season three, but at least they had the decency to kill the characters off as opposed to just having them going on vacation or transferring to another precinct and never coming back. They do seem to be running out of ideas here in season three, directly stealing from movies like Silence Of The Lambs (Nick obviously not being afraid of that Hannibal character), slumming it with a Jerry Springer style episode and even having a vamp seeing eye dog. Ok, admittedly I really liked that last one. It's never an amazing show but it's comfortable and with just the right subject matter.
(2.5-3.5 out of 5)
11.)

Prince Of Darkness (1987) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: This is the last movie from Carpenter's height that I hadn't seen yet. And wow, it was great. It's a little embracing that I have made it this long without seeing this. I think a lot of it had to do with not really connecting with the box cover art/poster when I was younger as that was how I made most of my horror decisions back then (and still do to a lesser degree). The movie stars multiple actors from Carpenters other masterpieces, a fantastic original carpenter score, it drips ambiance and is one of, if not the, best ancient evil movies I have ever seen. I have but 1 critique, I wish they had gone a different mayor shown more of the container, it felt kind of like a gimmicky effect. That last bit is what prevented this from garner my highest score. Still this is mandatory viewing for any self described horror fan.
(4.5 out of 5)
B-6.)

Mustang: OKtoberfest Marzen (Oklahoma)*
My Thoughts: I do like how the caramel is dialed up on this one but the sediment kills it. Starts out ok but quickly blurs into that lingering dirty river water taste that is evident of the beer not being properly filtered. And it is a pretty cloudy beer too. Thanks for 5.5% though that's nice. Now… change the name to Dirty Marzen and pretend like that is what you were trying to do all along and maybe…
(2.5 out of 5)
11.5) - 13.)

Fear The Walking Dead S02E13-15 & The Talking Dead (2016) (TV)*
My Thoughts: How does this family make such constantly horrible decisions and still survive? One thing I have liked about these last 6 years of Walking Dead, is that is has given me a lot of time to think about my zombie survival plan, even if I probably would be one of the first ones to go. First stick it out in the suburbs, let the fighting and the chaos happen while you move house to house collecting weapons and supplies. Being in Oklahoma should afford a lot of weapons, maybe even something awesome like a minigun. Walking Dead could use more heavy armaments. Also why Mexico? Go north to Alaska, I bet things are going just fine up there. Anyway in true TWD style everyone has to leave what was a great set up because of poor decisions or stronger groups. At least this time they all left in style though.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-7.)

Goose Island Beer Co: Oktoberfest (Illinois)*
My Thoughts: A lot more barley with this one. Not bad, I always prefer barly flavor to hops anyway. It has a nice smooth creamy flavor with a very slight up front hops bite as opposed to the more bitter and typical hops after bite. Caramel up front with notes of white greap with a barley finish. I like this beer.
(4.5 out of 5)
B-8.)

Flying Dog: The Fear Imperial Pumpkin (Maryland)*
My Thoughts: With a name like Imperial Pumpkin I am already apprehensive. There is a strong deep pumpkin spice scent on top, like putting your note up to a pumpkin spice air wick. The beer it’s self is bitter with a coffee/chalk taste. But I do appreciate the lack of a hoppy bite and the 10% alcohol certainly helps. Man I am going to be sloshed by the end of this and probably freaked the fuck out as I am taking a breather from Mama currently to write this. This nutmeg spiced black coffee beer is not terrible but also not something to take lightly. This is the kind of beer that will grow hair on your chest.
(3.5 out of 5)
14.)

Mama (2013) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I watched the short this movie was based on during my first October Horror Movie Challenge way back in 2010. There was a high level of creep out for me watching this movie, especially having a daughter myself now. But the CG distorted creature was just not as scary as it could have been if they had done it more practically. I had the same complaint with The Conjuring 2 and it's Crooked Man. But perhaps I have just watched too many ghost movies lately after having several rock my socks here in the past few years. I am glad it saved those girls though. On a side note, my program for reacclimatizing those girls to the world would have been constant TV, I mean really why not pump them with TV like non-stop?
(3.5 out of 5)

- Oct 3rd -
15.)

The House Of Seven Corpses (1974) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: This was not the House By The Cemetary-esk feature I was hoping it would be. Instead it seems that they found a house and decided to shoot a movie there before they actually had a script to go with it. What they did shoot was a boring we are shooting a movie movie. The bad acting, effects & plot are not helped by the John Carradine bit part or addition of murder zombies in the final act. In fact aside for the location I can't really think of anything nice to say about this film.... picture quality was pretty good. Oh well, I have newly adjusted hopes for the rest of the Severin OOP blowout bundle now.
(2 out of 5)
16.)

Curse Of Chucky (2013) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: “It’s just a doll, what’s the worst that could happen?” Who would ever say that? This was less of a reset than I was lead to believe and more of a tonal shift sequel. And of all the horror franchises Child's Play really needed one of those after getting really far out there in the last few years. I wasn't particularly impressed with the killer doll outing this time. As a genre it is a bit of a 1 trick pony. For what it is it is ok though. I did like the call backs and the practicalities of fighting a paraplegic were interesting.
(3 out of 5)
17.)

Commentary For Prince Of Darkness (1987) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Director John Carpenter and actor Peter Jason participate in this track that was recorded around 1999. It is a lively track and while it doesn't go as much into the movie as you might think these two are pleasant to listen to. I actually kind of think actor Peter Jason steals the show a bit here talking about other things he is been in and constantly ribbing Carpenter. Also he seems to remember things much more clearly than Carpenter does. At least the kind of things I wanted to here. JC does go into the making of quite a bit and reveals some interesting stuff about himself as well. Worth a listen, you could do a lot worse on a commentary track.
(3.5 out of 5)
18.)

The Babadook (2014) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: This film was a lot deeper than I had thought going in. Or was it? It's left open to interpretation. Is it about a demon who prays on this single mom and her child via his popup book? Or is this a movie about psychological disorders and over coming them.. or not? It is at the very least a thought provoking film. Not quite the 'turn on the lights' fright flick I was anticipating, in fact most of the time I found it uncomfortable to watch (being a rambunctious only child of a single mother myself). This is round 2 in writing this review and I have to say it was much better the first time around, you are really missing out. And by you I mean me in the future as no one will ever read this.
(3.5 out of 5)
19.)

Just Desserts: The Making Of Creepshow (2007) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Really good 'making of' documentary. My favorite bits were about the cockroach wangling and how one of the creatures was made of a real human skeleton! And from India no less, ROTLD fans will get it. A little surprised they couldn't get King to participate in this. And as I have said in seemingly ever other Horror docu review here in the last few year; I think I would have liked this one a lot better if I had never seen Crystal Lake Memories and Never Sleep Again. Those guys need to get on it with some more stuff! I am curious to get into some of the commentary tracks and special features of this one at a later date as well.
(3.5 out of 5)

- Oct 4th -
20.)

Xtro (1982) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Xtro is one of the best Alien "knockoffs" ever. It's about a man who gets abducted and when he comes back he's not quite the same anymore. Lots weird sexual stuff, ultra violence and British chicks. It's like the fun version of The Possession or maybe a more cohesive version at any rate. It's a gooey, drippy, rapey, 80's monster movie, just be sure to skip the sequels.
(4.5 out of 5)
21.)

Tales From The Crypt Presents: Bordello Of Blood (1996) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I have a weird relationship with this movie. Obviously when it came out 12 year old me was jazzed. The first TFTC movie had been great, this had vampires and most likely a ton of boobs, so I was in. Add to that that is starred Erika Eleniak who I had a huge crush on at the time. Then watched the movie. Not a good movie. The acting is bad, the plot is bad and it just feels kind of cheap. Plus EE wasn't naked (and she was always naked!). So needless to say it didn't leave me with a pretty bad impression of the final TFTC outing. Over the years I have softened on this and grown to appreciate it for what it is. A passable average 90's horror movie. Did have that one fun Ballroom Bitz scene though and the connection to Demon Knight was nice.
(3 out of 5)
22.)

Commentary For Tales From The Crypt Presents: Bordello Of Blood (1996) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: What pearls of wisdom, what galactic truths are hidden in the audio commentary for Bordello Of Blood? An all joking aside this moderated track with the writer/producer was fantastic! We get a ton of behind the scenes info about the series and the hell that was apparently making Bordello of Blood. The writer has something bad to say (even if he tries to say it in a nice way) about everyone! And it super entertaining to listen to. Fascinating stories about Corey Feldman attaching Dennis Miller and Erika Eleniak demanding they rewrite her straight laced 2 day before she was due to be filming! And she was going to be a stripper before that, super disappointing. Also apparently Bordello Of Blood was not suppose to be the next TFTC movie instead there was a movie called Dead Easy that was said to be much more like Don't Look Now that they had planned on until being forced to make this one. Best track I have listened to in a long time.
(5 out of 5)
B-9.)

Anthem Brewing Co: Ogletoberfest (Oklahoma)*
My Thoughts: Smell like a cheap beer but hits the pallet nicely. Medium floral hops up front finishing crisp and light. Not really feeling Oktoberfest. As you get into it a burnt caramel hint does come out but also as it warms those hops take on a sharper more unpleasant taste but just slightly. This beer was a bit boring actually almost like a beer flavored beverage… maybe that is just because I drink weird/imported stuff all the time though. I like how the hops are on the front of the tongue. Perhaps this would be a good beer to fruit.
(3 out of 5)
23.)

Psycho Sleepover (2008) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: This shoe string budget Slumber Party Massacre-esk spoof was surprisingly sharp and entertaining. Obviously amateur actors but the script here was solid! Had a great time with this and was entertained throughout, I would even go so far as to lump this in with some of my other favorite horror spoofs (such as Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh and Return Of The Killer Tomatoes). It really makes the more recent Full Moon tripe look that much worse when a no budget film like this can be so good. Good acquisition Troma.
(4 out of 5)
B-10.)

Samuel Adams: 20 Pounds Of Pumpkin (Massachusetts)*
My Thoughts: Nice spicy pumpkin bread on top. Super on point for a pumpkin pie beer. The most seasonal tasting beer I have had thus far. Clear, crisp. You get that cinnimon nutmeg taste with minimal hops. Surprisingly good for a Sammy. Very on point for pumpkin without being weird or grotesque or just being pumpkin A nice improvement to their more plain Jane Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
(4 out of 5)
24.)

Hellbenders 3D (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Interesting comedic take on the exorcism sub-genre. A group of priests who constantly sin, so if they are ever possessed they can commit suicide and take the demons back to hell with them. Not a great movie but an enjoyable one and in 3D too. And in all honesty that is pretty much the only reason I bought it in the first place, always on the hunt for new 3D content. I did find myself less interested in the demon fighting part and just wanting to see this group interact with each other.
(3.5 out of 5)

- Oct 5th -
25.)

Night Of Dark Shadows (1971) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: I really wasn't in the mood for Dark Shadows today so I found the one Dark Shadows property that had the least to do with the series. In Night Of Dark Shadows a young couple inherits Collingwood Estate only to find after moving there that they seem to be dead ringers for the people in the portraits on the wall. No werewolves or vampires in this movie, just past life influencing current. I kind of like how they didn't muddle it up too much, it was very straight forward considering the series at this point was obtusely complicated and interconnected. It reminded me a lot of The House Of Seven Corpses yet more watchable and less tedious even though it was still a bit bland. I watched this on Dailymotion but this really would have benefitted from an HD viewing, even just considering the scenery and the buildings. It should be noted if you are a big Dark Shadows fan there is really nothing here for you though.
(3 out of 5)
26.)

Evil Ed (1997) (VHS)
My Thoughts: I really didn't like this movie when I first got it as a kid.I didn't see it as parody back then just demented and unpleasant with super weird voice acting. Coming back to it now is a different story though. This Swedish made satire of the horror film industry and censorship is actually fairly enjoyable. It follows a man who goes crazy after editing the fictional Lose Limbs franchise down for European release. The fictional movie within a movie scenes are actually my favorite part of this one. And some of that Bill Moseley voiceover really sticks with you. A fun over the top ultraviolet romp.
(3.5 out of 5)
27.)

Howling II (1985) (VHS)
My Thoughts: I love this 80's soundtrack. Christopher Lee and team are hunting werewolves in Transylvania and they kill a lot of them. Fun bad 80's werewolf movie. Some weird pseudo-beastiality, lots of nudity, midgets, werewolf witchcraft and maybe a magical gargoyle creature? This is a VHS tape that I desperately need to upgrade, lots of hard to decipher on tape night scenes. Also stick around for the bizarre music video credits.
(4 out of 5)
28.) - 30.)

American Horror Story: Hotel S05E07-12 (2015 - 2016) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: As I was watching I realized that this is kind of twisted Dark Shadows of our times. The second half of Hotel never seems to get quite as depraved as the first, although by this point the audience is pretty desensitized. Lot of sex, everyone dies, murders a plenty and all very stylish. I liked Hotel better than the last two American Horror Story outings. But the epilogue on this one was weak, I do appreciate that we get to keep going after the typical horror movie ending but the one ghost deciding not to kill anymore because she got really into social media? Lame. Otherwise great show and Lady GaGa was amazingly sexy, I hope she does more genre stuff.
(3 - 4 out of 5)

- Oct 6th -
31.)

The Rage (2007) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Oh there's Reggie again, he seems to be doing the rent me for a day circuit that Lee and Cushing used to do. Reggie, as much as I love him, is not quite the actor they are though. Also it was very ham fisted the way they had him bring up Phantasm. Then there is Erin Brown or as I knew her growing up Misty Mundae. Now the point of seeing Misty Mundae movies in the past is that she would be naked, a lot. She was not naked in this movie. This was a bad movie, there was a lot of terrible cg and a lot of cg where we really didn't even need it (CG poop, your movie never needs cg poop). And despite this being a pretty terrible all around movie, I embarrassingly did sort of like it, it does hit the tropes in a kind of fun slapstick-y way. Please do not read into that as a recommendation of any kind though.
(2 out of 5)
32.)

Murders In The Rue Morgue (1932) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Bela Lugosi plays a scientist trying to combine people blood and gorilla blood? But he also does a sideshow act with said gorilla to earn extra money... Can't give Universal too much crap about this as it is based on the works of Edgar Allen Poe. Lugosi is in his element as creepy scientist and there is a lot of dark humor here as two of our main characters are med students who frequently acquire things from the local morgue. The gorilla in this film is actually a chimp but much more frequently a man in a suit with his back turned to the camera. An interesting aside and checklist completion for me for actors on this one and it fits todays public domain theme.
(3 out of 5)
33.)

Night Of The Comet (1984) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: In the Haley’s Comet driven horror sub genre this movie holds a special place in my heart. The world is swept clean after the earth travels through the tale of this galactic traveling comet. The only people still alive are 2 valley girls and Chakotay from Voyager. And mutants, there are always mutants; you never get the city entirely to yourself. I love these apocalyptic catastrophe movies set in abandoned cities, I always find it fascinating to think about. And I am always looking to see if I can catch things in the corners of the frames that the filmmakers missed. And you do get at least 1 guy leaving a building with this one but otherwise they did an excellent job of showing an abandoned metropolis. It's a lighthearted goofy picture of the apocalypse, with shopping montages and arguments about boys. I am actually super jazzed to listen to the female leads audio commentary that Scream Factory has put on this disc!
(4 out of 5)
34.)

Commentary For Night Of The Comet (1984) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: A surprisingly subdued track with a lot of awkward silences. What is there is enjoyable but man this track could have used a better moderator. He made the same joke a couple of times, seemed to stumble over what he was saying frequently and allowed way too much silence on the track (and I hated his voice but that is neither here nor there (I hate the way my voice sounds when played back to me too)). Although it was a little lacking in substance there were some interesting stories about casting and wardrobe here and the girls vision of what the sequel would be. A passable track but it could have been way better.
(3 out of 5)
B-11.)

Sierra Nevada: Octoberfest (California)
My Thoughts: Has a delicious crisp, almost a little fruity, taste at first. But it seems like with each successive swallow an aftertaste builds with intensity on the back of your pallet. But I did find it to be good solid beer once you get over that taste. And certainly better than their Oktoberfest outing last year. Does take on a lot more barley as it warms but not in an over powering way.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-12.)

Jack-O Traveler: Pumpkin Shandy (Vermont)
My Thoughts: Very heavy pumpkin spice scent on top. So this was on the clearance rack at my local liquor store, obviously left over from last year. So last year I said “This beer reminded me of eating a pumpkin spice cake donut” and I graded it a 3.5 out of 5. And I have got to say it hasn’t really aged. Still taste a little sweet and hits all those bready pumpkin spice notes. There is a hint of a bitter after taste on this that might part of the aging process that just knocks it down a hair. I was about to give this a 4 and say it was a toss up between this and the 20lbs of Pumpkin until then. Still a very interesting beer. Perhaps best icy.
(3.5 out of 5)
35.) - 36.)

American Horror Story: Roanoke S06E01-04 (2016) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Getting back to their roots after 6 seasons on the air with a haunted house story. This time in a secluded location and told in a rather unique way. The series is presented as a reality show/re-enactment, an interesting angle but it does de-tooth it a bit in the scares/creepy department. What is does allow for is an over the top hammy performances, most notably from series newbie Cuba Gooding Jr (which I found highly enjoyable). In true AHS the story gets deep and fast, so deep even that it feels almost over here at the end of episode 4. Not sure how much farther they can go with it but I am curious to see. Also I thought that weird swamp witch looked oddly attractive; it was GaGa.
(3.5 - 4 out of 5)

- Oct 7th -
37.)

Pigs (1972) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Everyone was so weird in the 70's. Crazy old farmer who likes to feed his pigs corpses from the local morgue and the occasional help hires someone crazier than he is as a waitress for his small town cafe. But not like TCM2 crazy more like Tourist Trap crazy.... Anyway it is a mild 70's horror movie. Kind of weird that I have had so many pig related movies lately though... Originally titled the much more forgettable; Daddy's Deadly Darling.
(3 out of 5)
38.)

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988) (DVD)
My Thoughts: What can be said about Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers that hasn't been said before countless times? it's one of those movies that you never want to tell someone you own, or watch, or love. A guilty 80's pleasure that stands the test of time. It's weird how my perception of this movie has changed over time as well. Young me remembers it being so sleazy and dirty. Watching it now it is obviously a light hearted horror comedy in line with things like Blood Sucking Pharaohs In Pittsburg and Return To Horror High. Staring 2 of the 80's B-Movie Scream Queen Trifecta (Quigly & Bauer), and of course their ample assets, this is a movie that I desperately need to upgrade to Blu-Ray.
(4 out of 5)
39.) - 44.)

Forever Knight S03E11-22 (1995 -1996) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: After 3 years I have completed the trilogy. I wonder though when, if ever, these discs will get another spin. Buffy for sure will, but I don't know about Forever Knight. Highlights of the second half of the final season were episodes featuring exorcism, video game addiction and a racist serial killer. Also they really kicked up the gore in season 3, surprisingly for 90's tv, but I guess it was cable. Best episode was Nick getting really into VR, remember in the 90's when we thought VR was going to happen? Super disappointed with ending of the series though, I guess they had intended it to be a cliffhanger but it seemed pretty definite. I think now I need to seek out the movie that this series was based on so I can make it a 4 year tradition.
(2.5-3.5 out of 5)

- Oct 8th -
45.)

Wrong Turn 5: Bloodlines (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: I have only seen the first two Wrong Turns (a series that started before the widespread usage of GPS direction devices) but I didn't think that would be a problem in just jumping into #5, and it wasn't. Quite a step down from the first two, the make up on the Non-Zombie Redneck Hillbilly Murder Family looks terrible compared to what they were doing when this series first stated, almost like masks. The movie was set primarily in a small town and obvious studio backlot. And there just wasn't that tension that existed in the first movie, sure a lot of people died but the story really only seemed to be servicing elaborate death scenes. Low budget murder trash, they do have several nude scenes (fortunate not of the family) and they way they explain the lack of communication with the outside world is that they pull down the cell tower (a suspiciously small cell tower). Not recommendable and something I only tried due to it being a $3 Big Lots blu-ray.
(2 out of 5)
B-13.)

Hacker-Pschorr: Original Oktoberfest (Germany)
My Thoughts: Good solid Oktoberfest ale. A hardy beer without having that overly hoppy taste. I would consider this about par for a German Oktoberfest. Great balance with hints of white grape, pear and of course caremel. This is another six pack from last year I got off the clearance display at my liquor store. And I think in this instance it might have affected the taste somewhat. Lat year I gave this beer a 5 out of 5 but this is more in line with a 4. Still a great beer though. And I had an online rebate coupon that I got to use on top of the clearance price!
(4 out of 5)
B-14.)

Spaten: Oktoberfest (Germany)*
My Thoughts: A new green bottle beer Oktoberfest brew this year. Less of that Heiniken taste and maybe a mixture 1/4th crevasse 3/4th marzen? Interesting. Heavy mellow/bitter barley aftertaste. Not terrible and always good to have a green bottle beer now and again to calibrate your taste of brown bottle beers. Also who knows, maybe one day I will have a green bottle beer that will knock my socks off?
(3 out of 5)
46.)

Burying The Ex (2014) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: It's the reversed sex version of My Boyfriend Is Back! Only this time it's a bad relationship. Right before breaking up with his terrible girlfriend, the late Star Trek's Chekov sees her hit by a bus. Three weeks later a curse brings her crawling out of her grave and wanting to jump right back into said bad relationship (except now as a horned up zombie she is even harder to get along with). The dialog seemed cliched and the whole project felt a hair forced but subject matter overcame and I found this one to be fairly entertaining if a somewhat overly pandering movie. Also that girl with the blue eyes was quite enchanting, I knew I had seen her somewhere before and had to IMDB her. Come to find out I watched her last year in TCM3D and said this about her "But I do call shenanigans on Leatherface having such attractive kinfolk."
(3.5 out of 5)

- Oct 9th -
47.)

The Cure (1997) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Odd, almost experimental, Japanese movie about a string of murders where normal people randomly kill family/friends and then mutilate their bodies all in the same way. The movie sets it's tone by being very slow and completely (if I recall correctly) devoid of any musical cues. That last part just seems so weird to write out, I might have to go back and fact check that. But suffice to say it can be a bit of a chore to sit through at times. I liked the plot and the effects and the actors and really dug the director the movie was going but they left the end way open in a very unsatisfying way. I am giving it a three because it was interesting and unique but I feel like this project could have been easily reworked into a four.
(3 out of 5)
48.)

The Voices (2014) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Ryan Reynolds plays a man who hears voices that tell him to kill, and those voices frequently come from his household pets. This is a surprisingly endearing comedy that I really enjoyed. It's hard to a serial killer likable but you can't not like Ryan in this. I mean I would date him, he's just adorable. Lots of kooky other fun stuff in here too and those ending credits... How I have not heard more chatter about this movie is beyond me.
(4 out of 5)
49.)

The Lift (1983) (Internet)*
My Thoughts: Thrilling extended scenes of elevator maintenance, terrifyingly long shots of people taking the stairs and of course a series of cold blooded/plot halting meals. This dutch movie about a bank of elevators that has gained sentience and goes crazy after a lightning strike is bizarre. The plot follows an oddly dispassionate repair man and a news paper reporter trying to get to the bottom of a series of outlandish elevator related deaths. At one point in the movie the repairman's friends see him out having coffee with the reporter and tell his wife he is having an affair. Doesn't try to correct her or anything, just kind of lets her take the kids and go and never gets too worked up about it. Certainly there were aspects of this movie that I really liked but it was unfortunately about as ridiculous as it was slow. I recommend seeking out Blades or Dial: Help for slightly more entertaining entries in this sub-genre.
(2.5 out of 5)
B-15.)

Marshal: Oktoberfest Lager (Oklahoma)
My Thoughts: My pick for best Oktoberfest a few years back has taken a drastic turn in the wrong direction. The image this beer initially conjures up is a cigarette floating in an IPA. Disappointing, come on Marshal, you need to represent Tulsa better. There does seem to be a hint of pair for what it’s worth. I am wondering if this was also old stock beer that sat on the shelf too long? Especially given the last few beers I had. Whatever the case, blah.
(2 out of 5)
50.)

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Many I need a better job so that I can keep a macbook pro in the kitchen, just for recipes. This is the only PA I own, and I have otherwise only seen 1&5. I do feel like there is a bit of plot interconnection I am missing out on. Also PA4 brought to you by Microsoft Kinect! Some creepy stuff here but it felt like more of the same from what I have seen from this franchise. Not to say I didn't have a few jumps but it is starting to wear off on me. I did like the characters and they felt real which is a very important aspect of the found footage sub-genre. But man, wish I had a girlfriend in high school who had such lax parents. A good moral of this story is that they really should have been reviewing their tapes way more often. Way more often.
(3.5 out of 5)
B-16.)

Rahr & Sons: Oktoberfest Marzen Style Lager (Texas)*
My Thoughts: 1st year for this 7% Texas brew. Has a nice caramel apple smell to it but also a pretty hoppy bite. There is a harsh liquorish/bitter marzen flavor that sticks in the back of your mouth. Don’t care for it but hey 7%. And unfortunately as it warms it takes on even more bitter and chalky flavors. Oh well, should have know with a Texan beer.
(1.5 out of 5)
B-17.)

Rahr & Sons: Den Of Sin Series: Pumpkin (Texas)*
My Thoughts: – Up’d it to 7.8, nice. Sneaks up on you but I am feeling it. Mellow smooth at first with alcohol liquorish pumpkin bite. Much more tolerable than the last beer. Does have a weird vegetable/alcohol vibe but I kinda like it. Really feeling the abv now. Wow.
(3.5 out of 5)
51.)

Sorority House Massacre 2 (1990) (DVD)
My Thoughts: It's had to grade movies like this. On one hand it is super cliched clunky garbage that if made in the 2000+ I would hate. But there is something about horror movies made in the 80's that makes me love what I would hate in a more modern movie. It has been awhile since I have seen Sorority House Massacre 1 but that did not prove to be a problem since we did get a recap and essentially best of kill real at the beginning. The sequel involved a group of sorority girl buying a dilapidated house with a past. But don't worry, you will get to see every one of them naked in the first 30 minutes of the movie and then wearing lingerie for the rest of the movie after that. There is even a sub plot about a group of detectives talking about the house that I feel is really only an excuse to take the movie into a strip club to see a few more naked bodies. The officers can't get to the house because of heavy rain and spend their time in the noticeable 'no curb' Roger Corman back lot. Like I said, terrible movie but I kinda loved it.
(4 out of 5)

- Oct 10th -
52.)

Slumber Party Massacre (1982) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: So apparently the flashback footage from Sorority House Massacre 2 is footage from Slumber Party Massacre? It was interesting to watch the dichotomy of this movie compared to Sorority House Massacre 2. The ladder of which really falls into your expectations of the genre but Slumber Party Massacre feels a lot more like Halloween than the trashy expectation you would have for a movie with such a title. The movie has a classic enough premise; escaped mental institution image besieges group of attractive teens. Wonderfully told, with lots of tna (I would venture to ay that the HD transfer really benefited that department) and surprisingly likable actors. In fact I would go so far as to lump this up there with some of the top tier 80's slasher movies, yes, derivative and exploitative as it might be. I am excited to listen to the commentary on this disc and hope that the rest of the "Massacre Collection" gets a blu release soon.
(4.5 out of 5)
53.)

Commentary For Slumber Party Massacre (1982) (Blu-Ray)*
My Thoughts: Another track with lots of talent in the room but a weak moderator. Still better than the moderator for Night of the Comet and I am willing to give him a bit of a pass since he is the Slumber Party Massacre superfan. But he does come off a little weird talking about Brinkie Stevens gossip from other movies and fan cuts of the film. The girls on the track were great if a bit subdued at time. Always recommendable to liquor up your actors before they start recording but c'est la vie. A good but not amazing track. I liked how the got the guy that played the murderer to show up, that was a nice touch. And just being a low budget movie lends it's self to an entertaining track.
(3.5 out of 5)
54.)

Hellgate (1989) (VHS)
My Thoughts: Love that Vidmark into logo screen! As I sit here and watch this movie I am amazed that I recall zero part of this movie even after having owned it for close to 20 years. The reason behind that became evident fairly quickly. This horror comedy is neither horrific or funny. It does succeed in being ridiculous. Stuff like an old guy with a magic crystal who brought his daughter back to life to lure people to his tourist trap. It just kind of sucks. I wonder though if a nice clear crisp transfer would have played better for me... There was plenty of nudity but I just found the whole thing sort of annoying. Reminded me a lot of Cthulhu Mansion, another title I unfortunately own (also on VHS).
(1.5 out of 5)
More →

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-14-16 at 02:19 AM.