DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

Old 09-09-10, 07:44 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...ms/?filter=mod

Htf forum also shows new program. I am not a fan personally of MOD but I would like Mickey One. Although I could just record off tcm.
Old 09-09-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

And, what do you know? $20 per title. Big shock there. These studios need to drop these titles to at least $15, if not lower if they are to be taken seriously.
Old 09-09-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...ms/?filter=mod

Htf forum also shows new program. I am not a fan personally of MOD but I would like Mickey One. Although I could just record off tcm.
...and the end of my collecting obsession gets closer...

Can't get myself to buy these MOD, DVD-R or whatever they call them.
Old 09-09-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd be in for Hot Stuff and Nightwing.
Old 09-09-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another nail.
Old 09-10-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Is this a confusing cover?

Old 09-10-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

YES! It is. I guess this means the end of the Martini Movies line, as I Never Sang for My Father was originally announced as a title in that series.
Old 09-10-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always held out hope that "Neighbors" was weird enough and had an interesting-enough trainwreck production to warrant a Criterion release (if Sony would ever release more than "Bottle Rocket" to Criterion) but at this point I'd settle for it becoming availability through this MOD program.
Old 09-10-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

MICKEY ONE ...... I waiting in vain through the VHS years for this to show up on home video .... saw it with an enthusiastic audience two years ago at Museum of Modern Art ..... and finally!
Old 09-10-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Would love "Repeat Performance" 1947 Film Noir to come up on one of these. Sony controls it, but its from MGM so it might be stuck in the no release zone forever...
Old 09-10-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
And, what do you know? $20 per title. Big shock there. These studios need to drop these titles to at least $15, if not lower if they are to be taken seriously.
I can understand why they want $20 per title since they are low volume titles made one at a time. All things made as a short run or as a one-off are relatively high priced.

When you press 10,000 DVDs and 10,000 trap sheets, the cost per unit is obviously going to be considerably cheaper.
Old 09-10-10, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by laserdogg
...and the end of my collecting obsession gets closer...

Can't get myself to buy these MOD, DVD-R or whatever they call them.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with MOD. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about it. There's NOTHING wrong with it. Other than Sony offering movies that no one's ever heard of before, it's an awesome idea. I just wish Sony would put out The Night That Panicked America, about the War Of The Worlds radio show.
Old 09-10-10, 07:52 PM

If they make The Hellstrom Chronicles or Warlords of Atlantis available, I may just have to give in and try these.
Old 09-10-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
There is absolutely nothing wrong with MOD. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about it. There's NOTHING wrong with it. Other than Sony offering movies that no one's ever heard of before, it's an awesome idea. I just wish Sony would put out The Night That Panicked America, about the War Of The Worlds radio show.
Not complaining, and certainly not against anything that gets the studios to release obscure, rare material....that said, I'm not paying those prices for any of them and there have been a few I would buy day 1 if released the normal way.

...anyway, been collecting for so long that any excuse to taper off is welcome.
Old 09-10-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
MICKEY ONE ...... I waiting in vain through the VHS years for this to show up on home video .... saw it with an enthusiastic audience two years ago at Museum of Modern Art ..... and finally!
If you had had a laserdisc player, you wouldn't have had to wait in vain during the VHS years
Old 09-10-10, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Outside of the fact that they're expensive and of lower quality than pressed discs, you're right. I'm sick and tired of people trying to tell me to stop bitching when I know I'm getting ripped off. For the record, my definition of getting ripped off is being charged premium prices for substandard product. MOD programs at these prices perfectly fit that description for me.
Old 09-10-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Plus these don't make a good case (pun intended) for buying legitimate product vs. making illegal copies. I'd buy these if they were titles I REALLY wanted, but I'd grumble about it and if I had to choose between that or another title on REAL DVD at the same price, that'd get chosen.
Old 09-11-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must say, a lot of the covers are excellent for using original poster art.
Old 09-11-10, 07:43 AM

There's a few I'd pick up for $10, if there's ever a sale. Soul Of A Monster looks interesting.
Old 09-11-10, 04:43 PM

I still don't get this made on demand stuff. Okay I guess it keeps them from having to store inventory. But can't they just make 1000 of each title and then repress them if they need them? You could press the discs and print the covers and then assemble them as orders come in. That really doesn't take much space and its way better than a burned disc.
Old 09-11-10, 05:29 PM

Depends on (1) the return policy, and (2) sale prices. This is based on my experiences with the Warner Archive discs. I've got a couple of shelfs full, nearly 100, and the defective rate is right around 1/10. However, Warner is very lenient with returns so I check discs right away and return if necessary. I recently returned a 5-month-old purchase with no questions asked. As for prices, WB has enough sales that if you are patient and smart with coupons you can usually pick up what you want for less than $10. It's going to be wait and see how Sony handles these two factors before I jump on board. MGM has failed due to quality issues, and Universal because of prices, though I'm still holding out for a Universal sale as their quality is supposedly good.
Old 09-11-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just not a fan of this MOD or CreateSpace format...to me, it just seems half-assed and not enough effort is being put into provifing proper care for the materials and for them to justify charging twenty a pop for such a disc, I'll pass.
Old 09-11-10, 09:49 PM

I can understand why people hate the priced of on-demand discs but i don't think it's up to the publishers - i'm fairly certain their net return on these is lower than with standard discs. Why do they do it? Very simple - zero risk. Even a run of 1000 has risk attatched because of the up-front costs of inventory, shipping, etc. When a third party handlez that stuff of course the price is going up & the profit margin down. My only issue with it is that dvd-rs will probably only last 10 years, versus 30-80 for pressed.
Old 09-11-10, 10:36 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I've always held out hope that "Neighbors" was weird enough and had an interesting-enough trainwreck production to warrant a Criterion release (if Sony would ever release more than "Bottle Rocket" to Criterion) but at this point I'd settle for it becoming availability through this MOD program.
"Neighbors"!

I'm still wondering why this misunderstood classic hasn't been given the treatment it deserves. I picked up the overseas version about a year ago.

I say, there's nothing wrong with MOD. If it's the only way to get something you just know you're never going to see on any other digital format, what's the problem?
Old 09-12-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigen75
I still don't get this made on demand stuff. Okay I guess it keeps them from having to store inventory. But can't they just make 1000 of each title and then repress them if they need them? You could press the discs and print the covers and then assemble them as orders come in. That really doesn't take much space and its way better than a burned disc.
There is some risk with burning 1000 copies of a title that may only sell a handful of copies. When you think they have a catalogue of 40-50 different titles, that's 40,000-50,000 pressed discs sitting around along with trapsheets printed.

Some titles may prove to have been worth running 1000 pressed copies but the majority may not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.