Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

4K and HDCP 2.2 Questions

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-12-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Ok so I recently got an LG 65UH8500. Great tv, I'm very happy with it. I have a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver that is supposedly 4K ready. But the TV wasn't sending a 4K signal on Directv's 4K channels.

Apparently the box is HDCP 2.2 and my receiver (only two years old) isn't compatible.

So here's my questions:

1. I hooked the box up to the tv directly. Now I get the signal. But my question is should I opt for a new receiver that supports 2.2? Right now my sound is coming through an RCA cable. Still surround but obviously not HDMI.

2. If I elect to keep my old receiver, should I get an optical cable for sound? Should I get something else?

3. From my understanding, if one component of the system isn't 2.2, they won't play ball. I watched a 4K blu Ray via my Xbone S and that passes through the receiver. Does that mean what I saw was 1080p and not 4K? I play games just fine but I'm not sure if I'm playing in 4K there either.

Any tips?
Old 08-13-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: 4K and HDCP 2.2 Questions

I could be wrong, but I dont think HDCP affects optical or digital coax connections. I would think you should be able to run an HDMI cable from your DirectTV box direct to the TV for video, and a digital audio cable (Coax, or Optical) from the DirecTV box to the receiver for sound. It may work, it may not. But it should be worth a shot.
Old 08-13-16, 08:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

My understanding (and I could be way off base) is that the HDMI2 port on that TV (labeled "ARC") can be used to send Audio back to the receiver.

So you could plug your 4K DirecTV box into HDMI 1, your XBox One S into HDMI 3, then run a cable from HDMI 2 back to your receiver into whichever HDMI port you choose (I assume it has to be an input port if the receiver cannot accept audio through the HDMI-OUT port you currently use to connect the receiver to the TV)

Then, when you're using the DirecTV or Xbox, and your receiver is set to the right input, you'll get full 4K on the TV and full (Dolby/DTS/whatever) audio through your speakers.

But since that TV only has 3 HDMI ports, it would mean that's it... no more devices. Unless I'm wrong.

edit: That receiver has two HDMI outputs. One is labeled ARC. So connect an HDMI cable from HDMI 2 on the TV to the HDMI ARC on your receiver, and you should be good to go. Xbox and DirecTV will go to TV then to Receiver. All other devices will to to Receiver then to TV.
Old 09-10-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think I am going to have to do this as well for my audio. I have a receiver that is around 3 years old (maybe more). It has 4 hdmi inputs and an ARC HDMI connection. I have a 4k Samsung on order to arrive in the next week or so to replace our 3D set in our living room. Will I need new, upgraded HDMI cables for connecting my components to the new set or will my current ones be sufficient? Also, should I request a new cable receiver from my cable company?
Old 09-10-16, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Ok so I recently got an LG 65UH8500. Great tv, I'm very happy with it. I have a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver that is supposedly 4K ready. But the TV wasn't sending a 4K signal on Directv's 4K channels.

Apparently the box is HDCP 2.2 and my receiver (only two years old) isn't compatible.

So here's my questions:

1. I hooked the box up to the tv directly. Now I get the signal. But my question is should I opt for a new receiver that supports 2.2? Right now my sound is coming through an RCA cable. Still surround but obviously not HDMI.

2. If I elect to keep my old receiver, should I get an optical cable for sound? Should I get something else?

3. From my understanding, if one component of the system isn't 2.2, they won't play ball. I watched a 4K blu Ray via my Xbone S and that passes through the receiver. Does that mean what I saw was 1080p and not 4K? I play games just fine but I'm not sure if I'm playing in 4K there either.

Any tips?
1. Yes, in order to get a full 4k signal, if you pass the video through your receiver (I'm assuming you have the DirectTV box HDMI to the receiver, then receiver to the TV) then the receiver needs to be 2.2 compliant.

2. Optical will work since nothing new has been created audio wise for the 4k pass-through.

3. I'm guessing the XBox downrezed the picture from 4k to 1080. Check the resolution on your TV when playing.
Old 09-16-16, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I have the exact same TV. I'm using an older Samsung HT-J5500W home theater for my speakers. The trick is to hook up your receiver through HDMI input 2 and then hook your actual 4K signals - be it via your cable box or 4K Samsung player (when you get one) through one of the other ports. Then use your audio options on the TV to sync them. I remember having some handshake issues when I first got the TV trying to play 4k discs that drove me crazy...I eventually figured it out.

Also, once you get your Sammy 4K player, turn the Deep Color OFF on the player and turn it ON on the TV - that will not only fix handshake issues between the player and the TV, but it will give you the best 4K image possible.

Glad you like your set...I like mine a lot too! It's one of the few 4K TVs that still support 1080p 3D - and the 3D on it is GREAT.
Old 09-16-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
3. I'm guessing the XBox downrezed the picture from 4k to 1080. Check the resolution on your TV when playing.
Not sure about the X-Box, but one of the downsides of this LG model is that there's no option to see the resolution output that the TV is playing at. It DOES have a pop-up that occurs when something is playing in HDR or DolbyVision (and another pop up when it's no longer playing it), and the Roku 4 will show (on it's pop up) the resolution, but neither the 4K Samsung player or this LG model seem to have that option...if the OP knows of one, I'd love to hear it.